View Full Version : Happy Independence Day

JohnR
07-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Two hundred and Forty Three years ago, a bunch of folks smarter than us (certainly smarter then me) managed to give the bird to mother England, Original Brexit, and chart a course for a people unmatched in the millennia of recorded history. The oppression and taxes too great, freedoms too few, these wise folks put all their chips on the table and doubled down for future generations. This country has since become a beacon of hope to people everywhere.

For all of our problems, squabbles, and sparring, this two hundred something year old experiment in Democracy is working and we should strive harder to make it better. Sure, there may be a small handful of countries that may seem, oh I dunno, nicer, due to the lottery of geography, they have not needed to do the heavy lifting of the world. They have not become the melting pot, the inventors, or the facilitator of PAX AMERICANA, nor the bastion of Hope. Having spent time in other countries, including behind the Iron Curtain for a brief stint, we are lucky beyond words by lottery of birth.

This week, embrace your freedoms, reflect on your good fortune, and please do an extra 10%. An extra ten as a parent, child, friend, and citizen. The hard part has been done, we need to do our part for the next 243 years.

Slipknot
07-03-2019, 11:26 AM
Yep, time to celebrate our independence tomorrow. If this was in that other forum I would say get ready for round 2 so we can rid ourselves of Lobbyists who have given us the new version of taxation without representation.
Be careful and don't light any fireworks kids

piemma
07-03-2019, 01:18 PM
Wonderful post John. Semper Fi!

Got Stripers
07-03-2019, 02:45 PM
What John said, truer words couldn't be written, enjoy and be safe. I live near white horse beach in Plymouth and tonight in years past has been insane, hunker down and hope the drunken teens don't cause to much havoc.

PaulS
07-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Happy Fourth of July everybody. I'm going to enjoy the fireworks tonight.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy
07-03-2019, 05:12 PM
Thanks John, well said and happy 4th everyone....

ProfessorM
07-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Happy 4th everyone

wader-dad
07-03-2019, 09:27 PM
Nike:

You're a grand old flag
You're a high-flying flag
And forever in peace may you wave
You're the emblem of
The land I love
The home of the free and the brave
Ev'ry heart beats true
Under red, white and blue
Where there's never a boast or brag
But should old acquaintance be forgot
Keep your eye on the grand old flag

Sea Dangles
07-04-2019, 02:16 AM
Happy 4th
Saw some great fireworks busting over BI tonight.

nightfighter
07-04-2019, 04:54 AM
Enjoy and be safe all....

piemma
07-04-2019, 05:59 AM
Enjoy and be safe all....

You feelin' better??

Raider Ronnie
07-04-2019, 06:47 AM
Happy birthday AMERICA
https://youtu.be/TRUjr8EVgBg

MAKAI
07-04-2019, 07:56 AM
On this day we celebrate, our founding fathers would have been looking at a Betsy Ross flag with pride. They sacrificed everything to create this country of ours. So, I ordered one to proudly fly also.
Kaepernick doesn’t speak for me.
Happy Independence Day America !

afterhours
07-04-2019, 07:57 AM
Spot on John. Happy 4th to all have a great day and be safe.

Hookedagain
07-04-2019, 08:01 AM
Well written my friend. Enjoy the weekend everyone and be safe.

afterhours
07-04-2019, 08:14 AM
On this day we celebrate, our founding fathers would have been looking at a Betsy Ross flag with pride. They sacrificed everything to create this country of ours. So, I ordered one to proudly fly also.
Kaepernick doesn’t speak for me.
Happy Independence Day America !

That flag is so offensive that Obama flew 2 at one of his inaugurations.

wdmso
07-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Happy 4th

Jimbo
07-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Well said, John, well said.
The 4th's a tad more special for me this year. Been coming up to the Cape from NJ (now the equivalent of death valley) a week at a time since January clearing out my dad's house so my wife and I can move in more permanently. Last trip a week ago I found a box with a pin in it. Box had D A R on it and I thought I knew what it was (as I thought my father had related in the past)...my grandmother's Daughter's of the American Revolution pin or brooch. Turns out it was my great grandmother's; with her name and number inscribed on the back. So I looked it up on the DAR website and sure enough, I'm related to a Jonathan Harrington who was mortally wounded at the first shot of enemy fire at Lexington, made it back to his house and died on the doorstep. I haven't figured that out for sure because he had a son with the same who was a fifer for the militia at the same time, maybe he's the tie to the American Revolution. Obviously, both were.
Anyway, nice brooch, thirteen stars, means True Patriot to me!
Happy 4th All.

MakoMike
07-04-2019, 01:43 PM
Happy 4th everyone. Looking forward ton watching the fireworks from the boat.