View Full Version : ? Penn Reel

roym
09-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Hello

As this is my first post, I would like to know which is the better reel to match to an 8' MH Uglystik, either a Penn 5500ss or the 360 Slammer. It will be used almost exclusively to pitch 3/4 to 1 oz bucktails and occasionally a 1.5 to 2oz plug from the surf. After having been away from fishing the Cape for 30 years to raise a family, I got "bit" again and fell in love with the sport. As luck would have it, I missed the Spring run with a crushed heel and only got out once (I was the only guy surfcasting with crutches) against MDs orders. This forum helped keep my sanity over the long summer. Hope the Fall run matches last years. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regards:happy:

Biteme
09-01-2003, 02:11 PM
Spend your money on a Shimano. I bought both a Penn liveliner and a Slammer in the spring. Both the reels are corroding, and wash them after every trip.

Buzz-erd
09-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Biteme
Spend your money on a Shimano. I bought both a Penn liveliner and a Slammer in the spring. Both the reels are corroding, and wash them after every trip.

You need to talk to Penn.Sounds like a defect.I own several Penn models both old and new including Slammers and SS series reels and have NEVER had a corrosion problem.Penn'll replace the reel.
Other than a Shimano baitrunner I wouldn't recommend one.Nice reels,just way overpriced.

Backbeach Jake
09-01-2003, 07:17 PM
have a 5500ss no corrosion, great reel. has stopped large. and parts are readily availible when or if needed. simple enough to service yourself. with everyone else going out of business or selling to snoopy , I'd go with Penn.

RickBomba
09-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Fred,
What's up, you back already.
Later,
Rick

Backbeach Jake
09-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Hey Rick, I go home tomorrow ,4am so I can be useless at work tomorrow. Good to meet you and your brother, do any thing this afternoon?

beachwalker
09-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Roy,

I own the 360,460 & 560 and have found VERY reliable reels. Yes, the do corrode if you don't rinse them but their drag sytem is excellent and I have nothing but good things to say about the value. They 360 is a great light tackle reel (I have it set up on a 7' Loomis) and the 460 & 560 have successfully landed many 30-45 lb fish the last two years. I can't speak for the bigger fish but hopefully, this fall, I will see how they handle it.

I have owned three Shimanos. They didn't hold up anywhrer near as well as these.

:)

MountainBreeze
09-02-2003, 07:01 AM
Welcome roym!

I have a 360, 460 and 560 SLAMMER and love em' all. Fished them for months, even submerged on several occasions, and just took the 460 and 560 apart to clean and lube last week. In my opinion... Great reels!

I use the 360 on a 7' stick and the 460 on an 8'. The 560 is on a 9'er but finds its way onto an 8' as my backup rod/reel in the yak.

Tight Lines,
Rob

MikeTLive
09-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Being a cheap-bastard soon to be unem ployed novice, I picked up a pair of cheap-ass combos at a bargain outlet.

I went over the sticks to check for cracks and they appear better than my last cheapone (10-15 or more years old)
However, with some use the reels feel quite cheap.

Any suggestions for not-so expensive reels?
I saw some ~35$ reels at a newly opened #^&#^&#^&#^&s Sporting goods in PortlandMaine. I am thinking I should have picked a pair up when I had the chance.

Anyone have a reliable reel they want to sell for cheap?
Maybe make a trade for some sysadmin work?

ragfly
09-02-2003, 11:37 AM
get the shimano 3500B baitrunner. beats Penn hands down. water proof drag is fantastic. The pnly corrosion I've seen in the 3 Penn reels I own is in the drag. I take the drag about every fwe weeks and clean it (pain). Thats why I have a switched to Shimano.

C-5 CC
09-02-2003, 02:20 PM
I AM WITH RAGFLY...GET THE 3500B. SKIP THE PENN!

MikeTLive
09-02-2003, 02:30 PM
found it online for 99bucks. is this reasonable? can I find one for less that is as good?

I just bought a plug bag and some trays for my tackle box so it will be hard to justify more $$

I figure I will fish on with my plastic trash til they break or I have 100 bucks to spill. Then I'l get one and keep the crapreel as a spare for the second. then repeat the process.

nightfighter
09-03-2003, 09:09 PM
MikeT,

If your tranny went in your vehicle, would you shop for the cheapy, or wait until it died altogether? I think not. You want a good tranny at a fair price, or you're hoofing it. Same deal with the reel. When the line goes tight, you NEED that reel to work, or you'll curse yourself all winter long. I hear you on the budget, but if you gotta spend it on fishing, the reel is where I would target the cookie jar funds. Just my thoughts after I had my reel go south on me last August, two days before Cutty 2........

CAL
09-03-2003, 11:49 PM
Mike

decathalon in Braintree had a 6500 BR for $83 (probably the demo) if you are considering in that size range. Normally goes for about $120 and I've heard great things about them. If I had the money I would have bought it.:wall:

RickBomba
09-03-2003, 11:54 PM
I hate to say this, being a penn man all my life, but the Mitchell nautil series are the best heavy-duty, smash-em up reels that I have ever used.
I'm guessing they are probably the smoothest and most reliable reels under the VS.
That's just my .02
Also, I own and utilize three penns right now...
8500 SS
5000 entry level
5600 Liveliner
The Mitchell 7500 I have is way too heavy, but rocks them all.
Later,
Rick