View Full Version : Need some OBX help

Liv2Fish
07-19-2019, 03:09 PM
Heading to OBX - Naggs Head, near the pier in mid august to sweat my nuts off on the beach. Any suggestions as to what to bring for the surf? Probably do some bait fishing at night from shore and some daybreak plugging. Might look at doing a charter if the budget is there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim in CT
07-19-2019, 07:18 PM
i’m heading to
kill devil hills
tomorrow for a week! i wanted to charter a boat, seemed
my options were
inshore for 6 inch spot, and offshore for tuna. so we chartered a shrimp and crab boat for a few hours. have a blast.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

zimmy
07-19-2019, 09:09 PM
Small metal and epoxy type jigs for Spanish Macs and blue fish. You can get northern kingfish (called sea mullet or whiting down there), croaker, pompano, on light tackle same way you can porgies up here. Whiting are delicious. Have fun. Also, head an hour south if you get a chance. It is like the difference between Cony island and Wellfleet.

Liv2Fish
07-20-2019, 04:53 PM
Thanks. Going to bring the range surf gear and a 12' bait caster that I can throw 5 oz a long way. See if we can't do some beach shaking.

niko
07-20-2019, 09:24 PM
You can catch sharks in the surf and Spanish Mack’s, outer banks anglers center was great for setting up charters, have fun

zimmy
07-20-2019, 10:41 PM
One other thing to consider... Since you will be up that way it is probably worth checking out the area around Bodie Island light. There is walk in access to the sound side. Not sure what it is like in August, but it is worth checking out or asking about.