View Full Version : Plum Island (Mass) fishing report w/o 7/22

Rockfish9
07-26-2019, 02:54 PM
Fishing ( bass and winter flounder) around plum island remains steady, Pogies are the dominant bait fish, mackerel are present but hard to come by( very fussy), chum heavy at first light, light line ( 6lb test) and single baits ( herring strips or sand eels) will take them., not every pogie school has bass under it, either find a school that does or get your bait and fish structure ( my preferred method), be sure to keep a dead one rigged for the "lookie lous" that are slap happy, toss 'em a dead one and hold on, Beach fishing is good all tides as long as water is moving, river is producing on high water with tube and worm or pogies by day, eels and soft plastics by night.. the water is in the low 80's at the bottom of the tide, I've only seen schoolies and sturgeon at this time of tide last week... flounder ( winter variety, no fluke here) are biting well in water along the 30' drop off, along the reservation, I've been doing well with sea clams on a slow drift,dragging a bag of crushed mussels..I understand the Pollack and haddock bite is good offshore. along the drop offs in 180 to 200' of water., but this is second hand information, I have not been part of this myself..I don't have any tuna info to pass along...

for the crustacean lovers, the bug bite has been good when no one raids my gear, a lot of shorts and quite a few eggers, but I'm bringing home 3-5 keepers per 10 traps every 2 days..

have a good weekend everyone.. enjoy what we have, it'll be cold and snowing all too soon.

Slipknot
07-27-2019, 04:48 AM
Thanks Joe :btu:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy
07-27-2019, 05:02 AM
Great read Joe

I hear ya about the gear, was down to two pots and now none!
Just don’t know how that happens, sucks

Rockfish9
07-27-2019, 06:57 AM
Great read Joe

I hear ya about the gear, was down to two pots and now none!
Just don’t know how that happens, sucks

Lost one the second check in june, another one came up.missing last week, I think that one got cut off, I need to run the side scan and see if I can find it...

This morning check, found only 2 keepers and 7 shorts..all came from 4 pots, 5 were blanks... I'm fishing pig hide, it lasts 3 weeks, it doesn't draw like fish, but the sand fleas don't clean it out in a single tide. .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device