View Full Version : Another RI SB bust

tlapinski
08-22-2019, 12:10 PM
Just posted on Facebook by RI DEM. Commercial fishermen remain their own worst enemy.

Yesterday, environmental police officers from DEM’s Division of Law Enforcement cited two Rhode Island residents who are Massachusetts commercial fisherman for being in possession of 38 striped bass believed to caught in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) - a portion of federal waters reserved for conserving and managing fishery stocks.
Officers working on information obtained through Operation Level Playing Field, a prolong law enforcement presence in the EEZ off the coast of Block Island to protect striped bass stocks began to investigate two fishermen believed to be fishing in the EEZ and selling their catch in Massachusetts. The practice of taking striped bass from Rhode Island state waters or the EEZ and selling them in Massachusetts is prohibited.
During the investigation, officers approached the two fishermen who were at a residence in West Greenwich and found them to be in possession of 38 striped bass with a total weight of 1,054 pounds. All of the fish were larger than the 34” minimum size and none of them had the right pectoral fin removed as required by regulation. Both fishermen were in violation of the possession limit of one fish per person as well as failing to clip the right pectoral fin of a striped bass 34 inches or larger in total length. The fish were seized as evidence.
The two fisherman, Robert Majors, age 41 of Bristol, Rhode Island and Peter Parente, age 53 of West Greenwich, Rhode Island were both summoned to the 3rd Division District Court for 37 counts of exceeding the daily possession limit of striped bass and 38 counts of possession of a striped bass, 34 inches or larger without having the right pectoral fin clipped. The fishermen potentially face $3,700 in fines - $100 for each fish illegally taken.
Adhering to the rules is not only good for the health of our fisheries; it’s the law. Rhode Island environmental police will continue their efforts to combat illegal fishing activity in both state and federal waters.
https://www.ri.gov/press/view/36569?fbclid=IwAR1jZdfVDdDvtpRizLsxzSZAw_v_qpDG_0k IrrLrcfvJ5SFZwfN24V4JE2w

PaulS
08-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Ridiculous.

JohnR
08-22-2019, 12:52 PM
And there are names. Fish going to Mass to get sold, hmmmm, almost as if, ahhh nevermind.

We'll need to see how this plays in court.

wdmso
08-22-2019, 12:53 PM
How many prior trips had they made they should pull their catch reporting in MA

Higgie
08-22-2019, 02:07 PM
Those fines are nothing it’s pretty much a joke
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

tlapinski
08-22-2019, 02:30 PM
Those fines are nothing it’s pretty much a joke

Exactly. Just a bit more than 1/2 the value of the fish had they been sold.

nightfighter
08-22-2019, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=Higgie;1172734]Those fines are nothing it’s pretty much a joke
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE

Agreed. A joke. Drop in the bucket, I bet when compared to how many has pulled out of there week after week, year after year... It is time for fishermen to clean up this mess on their own... New day. Time has come.

(edited previous post as I assumed, wrongly, was another fisherman with same last name)

bobber
08-22-2019, 02:58 PM
those guys are still wayyy ahead for the year...... time for Mass to tighten up the comm regs. outta state guys have to find another place to peddle their illegal fish

afterhours
08-22-2019, 03:15 PM
The amount of the fines is a joke, betcha they're still in the black for the season. If observed in a boat- take the boat, if in a truck- take the truck, etc. Also $1000 per fish. Potential poachers will think twice. All proceeds from seizures and fines go to SB protection, not gIna's purse.....

Got Stripers
08-22-2019, 03:52 PM
The amount of the fines is a joke, betcha they're still in the black for the season. If observed in a boat- take the boat, if in a truck- take the truck, etc. Also $1000 per fish. Potential poachers will think twice. All proceeds from seizures and fines go to SB protection, not gIna's purse.....

What he said!

Nebe
08-22-2019, 04:15 PM
Yeah. Take their boat and put the money towards something good.

Clammer
08-22-2019, 04:19 PM
Nebe Yeah put it toward state pensions .in lieu of a cure of cancer ><>,

jmac
08-22-2019, 08:12 PM
those guys are still wayyy ahead for the year...... time for Mass to tighten up the comm regs. outta state guys have to find another place to peddle their illegal fish

...uh, what about the MA guys going to RI and bringing them back to MA?.....and not just Block...…..it don't matter what state...crime is crime.....

Clammer
08-22-2019, 08:53 PM
Joey & some of them from this site ><><<>:shocked:

fishbones
08-22-2019, 09:25 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&s

ivanputski
08-22-2019, 11:02 PM
That fine is a joke... Guess where their money will come from to pay their fines?
yup.... next weeks haul.

When will people realize that a single HARSH penalty, made public, can have future preventative effects?

wdmso
08-23-2019, 04:08 AM
That fine is a joke... Guess where their money will come from to pay their fines?
yup.... next weeks haul.

When will people realize that a single HARSH penalty, made public, can have future preventative effects?

Fish lobby gun lobby oil lobby blame those groups for why things are what the are and why the fines are non existent..in their industry's and why things dont change its about money

SilverKing
08-26-2019, 07:35 AM
Take the boat and all their gear...it doesn't end until you throw down the hammer!

JohnR
08-27-2019, 07:49 AM
Fish lobby gun lobby oil lobby blame those groups for why things are what the are and why the fines are non existent..in their industry's and why things dont change its about money

Lobby is politics and politics is in the other forum.

Suburban
08-27-2019, 07:53 AM
Take the boat and all their gear...it doesn't end until throw down the hammer!

Right On!!! Lockem up!

zimmy
08-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Lobby is politics and politics is in the other forum.
There are two fish related threads on the main page of the forum (hook in thumb excluded) and they are both about poaching.
Politics are directly related to both state of the fishery and poaching enforcement. If we avoid politics in those threads in this forum, there will be even less said about striped bass. Sad state of affairs, it is.