View Full Version : Habs

piemma
09-12-2019, 06:52 AM
12 years of his passing coming up on the 24th.

JohnR
09-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Yep

To this day I cannot look at a patterned Orange Hunting hat without looking to see if the Deer are making baby deer

pbadad
09-12-2019, 09:07 AM
Geez time flies. I remember hearing of his passing coming off the Cuttyboat on that Sunday.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnR
09-12-2019, 09:38 AM
Geez time flies. I remember hearing of his passing coming off the Cuttyboat on that Sunday.

I had laid down around 5:30 after fishing all night when my phone keeps ringing and ringing. Pt Jude Joe kept calling me until I picked up and he gave me the news. Double whammy.

Mugz
09-12-2019, 12:01 PM
I don't post much but I was compelled to write this in response to "Habs."
I frequent this local watering hole in my neck of the woods...been going there since I was old enough to drink (27 yrs ago!!). I go for a beer or two, rub elbows with the local townies each week when I have a chance. I speak to a guy who sometimes meets his brother in this fine establishment for a few pops, a couple games of Keno and the latest goings on. I have spoken to him many times (and his brother)...we always say "Hello" and small talk. This past weekend he happened to be at the bar with his brother...I had brought in a Plug I made for someone and it immediately caught his and his brothers eye. They approached me and asked if I made plugs...I said on occasion for friends or family and personal use. He asked me if I knew "Habs." I said I knew of him (not personally) and met him at fishing shows in the past. The brothers then said "We are his brothers!" One brother went out to his car and brought in a write up of Habs in the In-Fisherman...obviously something dear him. We spoke for awhile about it and apparently they had another brother that had passed way too early as well. Both of them seemed happy to have me speak highly of Habs work. I told them he will never be forgotten in the Plug making world as he has his legacy set in stone and his plugs are still admired and sought after today.
Small world...I am happy to have met them and will continue to see them occasionally I'm sure.

RIP Habs

:cheers2:

Sea Dangles
09-12-2019, 01:00 PM
Great story,thanks for sharing that. John was one of a kind.

Got Stripers
09-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Habs, Clammer, John and a few of the early SBers at Hooters back in the day was always a fun night, good food, good scenery and lots of laughs.

Clammer
09-12-2019, 02:47 PM
YEP bOB , some of the best … Zac ,pissing them off playing triver [sp] we had some crews at times …….. Tony.O. , Milo. Bluecrab , Toonic, F-18 , Tony , Casey & Kacie , & more that I can,t remember ><><>
one of the last times with a descent group ……… was with Habs ……….. and we had a good night , but we started to get upset with the female compertation checking out the waitdresses [sp] & it was getting to be to much so we left earlier than usual , everyone had left except John & I .we were B/S at the back of the truck & 3 or 4 car loads of a womans softball team came flying into the parking lot …………. we both said this is getting to F/m ...little did we know it was probably our last night going to Hooters :buds::buds:

RickBomba
09-12-2019, 03:29 PM
My last interaction with Habs was for a charity raffle for some kind of unicorn plug that I just had to have. I sent Habs the money, he called me on my landline (I literally was protesting having a cell phone at the time), and told me he was going to ship the plug on Monday.

He never made it to Monday...to this day I still believe that the stupid plug went to someone more deserving than me, which is probably what John would want.

Miss you man.

BigFish
09-13-2019, 06:08 AM
Glad I got to know John a little bit back in the day! I remember being in "The Line" at Race Point waiting for beach stickers with Habs and Bassmaster! I went down to Goose Hummock once as John was going to be there! I bought a half dozen needlefish from him and he gave me a Habs cap which I still own! We talked about getting together to fish but alas......it never happened. Gone too soon. He was a great guy.

JohnR
09-13-2019, 07:44 AM
I don't post much but I was compelled to write this in response to "Habs."

:cheers2:

:btu:

Habs, Clammer, John and a few of the early SBers at Hooters back in the day was always a fun night, good food, good scenery and lots of laughs.

When we went in with the Striper Cup and the Hooter's Waitress comes over to brag that she won the Stripper Cup before :hihi:

YEP bOB , some of the best … Zac ,pissing them off playing triver [sp] we had some crews at times …….. Tony.O. , Milo. Bluecrab , Toonic, F-18 , Tony , Casey & Kacie , & more that I can,t remember ><><>
one of the last times with a descent group ……… was with Habs ……….. and we had a good night , but we started to get upset with the female compertation checking out the waitdresses [sp] & it was getting to be to much so we left earlier than usual , everyone had left except John & I .we were B/S at the back of the truck & 3 or 4 car loads of a womans softball team came flying into the parking lot …………. we both said this is getting to F/m ...little did we know it was probably our last night going to Hooters :buds::buds:

Victor on the Tricycle :hihi:

Slipknot
09-13-2019, 10:37 AM
Great story Mugz, thanks for sharing it.

Hab was a helluva guy, he is thought of and remembered often.

he could clear a room sometimes pretty easy ;)

In The Surf
09-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Absolutely a great story, thanks for posting that mugz.

Not fishing nearly as much but always a Hab's or two in the bag when I do.

Who could forget the "turd" plug

MrHunters
09-16-2019, 03:00 PM
I started here in 2005. I dont post much/at all anymore.. Life.. technology... all that.. I still come back to read from time to time. So many names here I hold close to what motivated me to fish harder.. Habs was one of them. I never knew him. I just knew the posts.. He contributed to why I still fish.

nightfighter
09-16-2019, 03:36 PM
Mr Hunters! How the hell are you? Haven't seen you since the MV Derby about ten years ago..... Hope things are well.

John and I would talk dog training, as I had not begun to build plugs. He knew the breeder in Dartmouth I had gotten one of my yellow labs from. He did love his dogs and working with them.....