View Full Version : Need help - cable internet - Comcast??

RIJIMMY
09-02-2003, 01:36 PM
Hello, I need some help. live in Eastern Mass. and recently my att cable internet switched to Comcast. I have been on att for 2 years. Since Comcast I have had a terrible time connecting and my sercvice drops off while I'm on line. I call the help line and they have me unplug and replug, modem, computer. No help at all. Then they say its my IP address. As of last weekend they told me somthing is corrupt on my pc networking and i need to reinstall my system. I reinstalled the back up disk and still same problem. I went to Comcast online, to the forums and it seems others are having this problem too. Are any of you on Comcast? Do you know of another cable provider in Mass?
Im desperate...

STEVE IN MASS
09-02-2003, 02:01 PM
I had ATT and then of course the switch to Comcast, and have obsolutely no problems (other than the price of ~$110 a month for the internet service and expanded basic digital cable :af: ).....

So that being said, I guess I was no help at all...... :eek: :smash:

BTW Jimmy, I see you are in Mansfield, which is basically right next door.....we should hook up sometime.....:)

RIJIMMY
09-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Hmmm, so could it be my pc? I had no problems with ATT.

Sure, steve, i fish mostly in RI but I've been looking for some closer to home spots. Let me know if you want to go !!!

STEVE IN MASS
09-02-2003, 02:19 PM
Another thought, and this is just a shot in the dark....did you get all the alerts from Comcast back and June/July, and click on the links and install the conversion wizard......most of that had to do with the e-mail address transfer from attbi.com to comcast.net, but perhaps there was some other stuff imbedded in there that could be causing your problems if, in fact, you didn't do it.

You needed to install the wizard before a certain date, and then shut down your computer and restart it after, I think it was July 6th, in our area.

If you didn't do all that, perhaps that is the cause of your problems.

On the other thing, I'll send you a PM in a day or so....:)

STEVE IN MASS
09-02-2003, 02:22 PM
And another thought as well.....I had a similiar problem about a year ago when it was still ATT and went thru the unplug the modem, shut down, etc. with them on the phone a number of times.....in the end, it turned out my NIC card was bad....I replaced it, and it has been fine ever since......

RIJIMMY
09-02-2003, 02:24 PM
I downloaded the conversion wizards....I'll look into the NIC card.. Thanks!

MikeTLive
09-02-2003, 02:24 PM
which cable modem do you have?
if it is LanCITY (a big heavy brick with integrated heatsinc) call them to get it replaced ASAP.

I find that problems come in waves.
I am fine mostly and then for a few days the line drops.
I call them, after going through the powercycle, reboot, etc. garbage - they say it must be a problem with my house and they will send out a tech. 20-40 minutes after I schedule the visit and hang up the problem "goes away like magic" and I call to cancel the onsite.

go to dslreports.com
the forums there are very informative.

jugstah
09-03-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by RIJIMMY
Hello, I need some help. live in Eastern Mass. and recently my att cable internet switched to Comcast. I have been on att for 2 years. Since Comcast I have had a terrible time connecting and my sercvice drops off while I'm on line. I call the help line and they have me unplug and replug, modem, computer. No help at all. Then they say its my IP address. As of last weekend they told me somthing is corrupt on my pc networking and i need to reinstall my system. I reinstalled the back up disk and still same problem. I went to Comcast online, to the forums and it seems others are having this problem too. Are any of you on Comcast? Do you know of another cable provider in Mass?
Im desperate...

Call Comcast, and INSIST on a new cable modem.

I had the exact issue you had, and I found it to be my cable modem, which they had sent me brand-new to replace my lan-city.. so I obliged... and only to have major issues with it.. after about two weeks, i got fed up, called Comcast, and demanded that they send me a new cable modem and after they sent out a service guy, i've not had any problems since...

RIJIMMY
09-03-2003, 07:12 AM
The modem I have is a 3com - looks like a shark fin.
THanks for everyone's help. I guess I'll have to have Comcast come over and check it out, maybe they can at least identify if its the computer or the modem.

MikeTLive
09-03-2003, 07:42 AM
basicly have them keep sending out new modems until it is fixed.
They do not appear to do any burn in testing of them and are using the customer as betatesters. (kind of like microsoft)

jugstah
09-03-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by MikeTLive
basicly have them keep sending out new modems until it is fixed.
They do not appear to do any burn in testing of them and are using the customer as betatesters. (kind of like microsoft)

and what next? Comcast is going to join the Microsoft Club and start charging their customers to be beta-testers of their cable modems? kinda like Microsoft talking about charging customers for every service pack release they make....

kinda ridiculous, really... talk about poor customer service concepts...:mad:

Christian
09-03-2003, 09:21 AM
i had the same problem when we switched to cable. took the guys comming to our house like 4 times to fix it. call em up and tell them you want someone to come and fix it.

macojoe
09-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Well I guess I am a lucky one. I have Comcast and never had a problem. I have a router in line and have 3 puters working and thye all have been fine without any problems for a little over a year now.

Raven
09-03-2003, 09:48 PM
your paying for daily service for a certain price!!!
call the billing department and tell them your only going to pay for
days you have an internet connection and that you plan to pro rate your bill untill this is fixed and they will have someone out there with in the hour.:cool:

Van
09-05-2003, 07:38 AM
I heard they use crap hardware, so when we signed up i bought my own cable modem and NIC card. Modem is a Toshiba, and works great. Never had a problem in 2 years.

Just a thought. It comes out cheaper in the long run too rather than renting it from them. Then I can always upgrade if I want to a faster one. (if there is such a thing)

Good Luck.,
V.