View Full Version : Saturday Morning - 20030906

MikeTLive
09-02-2003, 03:55 PM
Goin out on my little boat.
Going to leave early to catch the end of the incoming tide.
Also hope to miss the party boaters. I hope the summer folk have gone back wherever they came from...

I aim to bring whatever bait I can round up plus the various plugs and lures I have been collecting. I will also bring along my two lobster pots with pogy or something as bait.

Not sure where I will put in.

If water is like glass I will go in Scituate and make my first venture out of the harbor and sit around just outside of cedar point. Maybe motor down to egypt beach or if I get comfortable go out and around the cliffs.

Second thought is Herring Brook and just motor up and down North River - I will NOT be exiting to the sea. So far his year we have been lucky, no deaths at the mouth. However there was a swamping last week or so.

Third - going south - would be Duxbury/Kingston/Plymouth bay. Never been here before. Not sure where I should drop my pots. I did get some solid information as to where to put in.

Fourth - north of Scituate - would be HinghamHarbor. Probly motor on out past the three islands and loop back down to the BackRiver.

Fifth - Weymouth BackRiver - the public landing charges for parking and use but would save me fuel if I wereto go up the back river. I would like to motor out to Wollaston Beach. Know of a closer ramp? can anyone launch boats FROM the beach

Sixth - MorrisseyBlvd - totally unfamiliar territory. I drive past here every day but have never stopped to look at the ramp. Not sure how the current is going under the newly repaired bridge either. IT looks like the area is well protected and relatively calm. This would give me access to more harbor islands...

Anyone going out from any of these areas this weekend?
-miket

BigBo
09-02-2003, 08:13 PM
MikeT, Keep an eye on the weather for this weekend. Hurricane blowing offshore. Looks like it'll miss us (I hope) but it will certainly kick up some big surf. You may want to opt for a couple of your more protected choices on your go to list.
Be safe!

Notaro
09-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by MikeTLive

Fifth - Weymouth BackRiver - the public landing charges for parking and use but would save me fuel if I wereto go up the back river. I would like to motor out to Wollaston Beach. Know of a closer ramp? can anyone launch boats FROM the beach

Sixth - MorrisseyBlvd - totally unfamiliar territory. I drive past here every day but have never stopped to look at the ramp. Not sure how the current is going under the newly repaired bridge either. IT looks like the area is well protected and relatively calm. This would give me access to more harbor islands...

Back River has a boat launching marina. Damn, I forgot the street name. Anyone else can help me with that? It has a boat launching site. You can try the Wollaston Yachet Club. It has a marina, but don't know if you are allowed to launch it.

Morrisey Blvd, it's where UMASS Boston locates at, man! I heard that the blues and stripers are usually productive during the the fall. The shore access is the seawall. But if you are going by the boat. It's up to you. I'm just suggesting.

MikeTLive
09-05-2003, 12:29 PM
picked up 3 macks and a pint of clams from Rick at ForeRiver.
gotta remember to get up tomorrow morning.
heading to Duxbury bay - protected waters only - for the morning tide!!

Bringing my plugs too to get my casting arm in shape.

STEVE IN MASS
09-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Good luck Mike, and see your PM's.....

Van
09-05-2003, 01:44 PM
MTL, you have the same commute as me. We will need to say hello somtime. I'm gonna watch wolly bech a bit closer from now on, maybe keep a 2-pc rod in the truck and some of those pluggy things.

You can launch a small boat just before the bridge on M.Blvd. That rocky area where they launch jet skis all the time.
Low tide might be tough so be careful.
There is a ramp on the other side of the painted gas tank (freeport st), but there is always a securtiy or police car there, I don't know if they allow you in any more since (9-11).

MikeTLive
09-06-2003, 12:13 PM
Got up about 5:30. too tired to run out the door.
hung out here - online - for a while then woke up my youngest, Justin, to get goin. he needed the sleep too.

we went down and looked at scituate harbor - it was like glass. went out to the lighthouse - breakers were a bustin.

was bout 7:AM. - we decided to go in at Herring Brook and mess around in North River. I let him drive the boat. He did well.

I like having a small person steer leaves me chance to fish!!

However....

on the main river there were about a dozen boats all fishing no catching.

I put out chunks of herring and began tossing lures.
I put a teaser on and a new wildeye I picked up last weekend.
rattling, with trebble under it and standard single on top.

Got a hit but he didn't stick around. I watched as he followed the lure right up to the boat about three seperate times then nothing more.

We motored up the river, I stuck redtubes on and trawled while Justin motored around. Still nothing. I pulled in the tubes and made some casts with that new blueand white GagSlammer I bought at last MSBA - kept the teaser on. Still nothing.

We left the water at about 11 It was a good time even through no fish on. I hear a rumor the fish are off Minot. Maybe later I will drive out there to see if I can reach em from shore.

MikeTLive
09-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Forgot to mention - there was bait all over the place when I started out. then it cleared out of there.

I am thinking of gettin a casting net just so I can come home with something.

I didn't bring my lobster pots - I still need to paint and number em. I better do it soon. winter is coming....

BigBo
09-06-2003, 03:29 PM
MTL, when you see the bass following your plug or whatever, try changing the speed of retrieval. Most of the time you need to slow it down. You can even stop and let it drift to entice a strike.:boots:

MikeTLive
09-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Bo - thats what I did. he grabbed it and spit it right back out.
second time he followed it and then turned and ran never to be seen again.

Tried all sorts of speed casting to a range of 180 degrees covering the area. 9:00, 12:00, 3:00, 10:00, 2:00, 11:00, 1:00 and back to 9:00...

they (or he) all bugged out.

BigBo
09-06-2003, 08:32 PM
:soon: It'll get better.