View Full Version : 2019 YOY survey

MakoMike
10-18-2019, 10:50 AM
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources announced the results of the young-of-year striped bass survey, which tracks reproduction of the species in Chesapeake Bay. The 2019 juvenile striped bass index is 3.4, below the 66-year average of 11.6.

Not good news!

Sea Dangles
10-18-2019, 10:57 AM
Not surprising either. These fisheries folks are total failures.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

numbskull
10-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Meaningless.
They'll find a way to explain it away in order to justify continued over-exploitation.

PaulS
10-18-2019, 01:33 PM
I guess just more fish to kill.

zimmy
10-18-2019, 02:07 PM
But 2011 yoy was so great!
The fisheries folks are failures. The people who have been killing big bass for the past 20 years are failures. The people people dumping chemicals on their lawns in the bay watershed are failures. The pig and poultry farms are failures. The local governments and their planning boards, the state and fed governments and their half arsed short sighted system of "regulations" and systematic deregulation are failures.

Got Stripers
10-18-2019, 02:56 PM
Thankfully at this age, I'm more interested in my tee times, haven't even caught a keeper this year; although if you don't target them it's easy to miss them. Greed and ignorance, when they are so few to even make a living off, maybe then they make this a game fish with a chance to recover.

FishermanTim
10-18-2019, 03:37 PM
When will they start "regulating" the hell out of the entire fisheries?
You know, sweeping regulation reform that effects commercial AND recreation anglers alike?
When will they set size limits across the board, making keeper sizes uniform for the species and not varied depending on where you happen to live?

When will this happen?

NEVER....because as long as anyone with power/influence/political pull has their say nothing will really change/improve.

bloocrab
10-18-2019, 05:43 PM
:yawn: .......shut it down completely, change the name of this site to striped-asss.com

Could be just as interesting....

piemma
10-19-2019, 05:38 AM
Thankfully at this age, I'm more interested in my tee times, haven't even caught a keeper this year; although if you don't target them it's easy to miss them. Greed and ignorance, when they are so few to even make a living off, maybe then they make this a game fish with a chance to recover.

Ya, me too. From 100 plus nights in the surf to 100+ days on my boat to not wetting a line in 3 years. I cannot fish for a species that is, quite obviously, in serious decline. I know, there are other species to fish for but, I was never a meat fisherman, and not going to start now.
I just golf and work part-time.

Clammer
10-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Paulie I thought you were getting another one :huh:

RIROCKHOUND
10-20-2019, 07:19 AM

Who knows what Capt. Impetuous will do next 😂

piemma
10-20-2019, 07:25 AM

I have been looking. Going to look hard in SC in a couple of weeks.

Nebe
10-20-2019, 08:29 AM
:rotfl:

JohnR
10-20-2019, 11:05 AM

We all know; be impetuous, of course ; )

I have been looking. Going to look hard in SC in a couple of weeks.

BTW - where is SC are you? Looking to do some advance scouting this winter.