View Full Version : Tog Talk

Got Stripers
10-25-2019, 02:59 PM
Since getting into this game years back I’ve tried a number of traditional tog rigs and was never satisfied and about three or four years back in settled on my own method and since the chance my hook up rate easily doubled.

Pretty simple 30lb power pro, 130lb spro swivel, 40lb seagar, to 6 gamakatsu octopus hook. Off the eye once the hook is tied in, I tie on a short le

hq2
11-04-2019, 12:14 PM
Did some togging yesterday, with a standard high low rig and a barrel
sinker up above on 50 lb. Mono. Had about five or six snags. but managed to pull out
every time.

I dunno, but I think togging seems overrated. Went to lots of rock piles in Buzzards Bay yesterday off of Padanaram. Went to Dumpling Rocks, Middle ledge, rocks south of Padanaram, Bents Ledge, off the tip of Dartmouth. Only caught a couple sub legals and had a few bites. Fished Padanaram jetty at the end and caught a whole bunch of sub legals (picked over a lot), and finally managed ONE keeper after throwing back about 15 sub legals. BB did it's usual noontime SW wind thing, making it choppy everywhere but still fishable up by Dartmouth. Not sure if I'll bother again next year; maybe try some other spots I know in BB.

MakoMike
11-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Try jigging, its a whole different experience. I tried it for the first time this fall and I'm hooked!

bloocrab
11-05-2019, 03:04 PM
Did some togging yesterday, ....I dunno, but I think togging seems overrated.

I'm just curious, what were you expecting when you say you think it's over-rated?

I enjoy all aspects of it....the before, during and after.
Are you targeting them for sport or table-fare?
Perhaps your meat-stick was too thick?
Maybe you're not a bait soaker and that's turning you off?

On days that only produce sub-legals for me, I don't get down about it...it just reminds me how important a good release is. I've seen some idiots take it out on the fish because they weren't big enough to keep... :fury:
In my experience, the deeper you get into the winter...the sooner the larger ones disappear. Not that we're there yet, but we ain't far from it.

Heck, with light gear..even scup are fun to catch....down-side for me, I don't care for the taste of scup.

Clammer
11-05-2019, 05:24 PM
as far as I know .I,ve never eaten sea food except mummies .

But I really enjoy catching them .

I was also once . bass or nothing guy ……...but change up your gear & ya thinking & add a good friend or two & it doesn,t even matter .

some of the best days & nights fishing for me .were times we didn,t catch a thing .sometimes we didn,t even fish .

But for me I,d put tautog 2nd if I had to put them in order …………. & there are so many different ways to TRY & catch them .

I never passed on a piece of ass , because the color of her hair or skin ><><:love:

beamie
11-05-2019, 07:21 PM
..........,,.,,,,,, & add a good friend or two.........

Says it all right there.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

MakoMike
11-06-2019, 09:23 AM
I just bought a light tog jigging rod. Jigging for them on light tackle is a blast!

Clammer
11-06-2019, 02:01 PM
Sunday ,,,,I took the crab off & put on a 6" F/W soft plastic on the jig & caught a nice sea bass ><>:eyes:

hq2
11-08-2019, 08:39 AM
No actually I enjoy togging. I have a place on BB I know where I can
go in my kayak IN THE SUMMER and slam 'em, and have done it a
lot of times. I would have gone there this time, but it was too windy
to get there, so I stayed off the lee shore south of Dartmouth. I was
just trying some new areas. And usually, when they're there, I catch
my share; it was fish a minute near Padanaram, but almost all sublegal.

And actually, I like to catch scup too; they're really tasty pan fried.