View Full Version : Wollaston Beach Tease

MikeTLive
09-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Last night commute I stopped at wollaston beach.
pulled out the binoculars and watched the gulls all around dropping in on baitfish.

While watching about 10 feet in from shore infront of me the bait started jumping like crazy leaving roostertail wakes of shiny little fish.

I grabbed my rodney and new plugbag (spent most of Wednesday night stuffing it with plugs that don't catch fish).

I spent about an hour tossing various plugs and still ended up with empty hooks. I need to team up with one of you "exspurts" so I can learn some more.

JohnR
09-05-2003, 12:45 PM
What were they on? Silver sides or Peanut Bunker?

3/4 ounce megabait tins are great http://www.pacemarine.com/newpace/lures/live%20jig/livejigl/livejig23l.jpg

Small Creek Chub Chrome poppers / Atoms / Gags

Queen Cocahoes & Small bunker Storn Wild Eyes are great if you don't mind runing plastic

MikeTLive
09-05-2003, 12:51 PM
As near as I could tell they were silversides.
I have some kastmasters and a crippled herring kind of like that picture cept blue like a small mackerel.

I stuffed them in the bag.

I really want a to narrow down a selection of lures/colors/types that will cover the most situations.

I would hate to be with the fish - like yesterday - and not have anything resembling what they are after.

I think an ultra compactable castnet might be a good addition too.

What do you do to keep a plugbag from rattling?

JohnR
09-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by MikeTLive

What do you do to keep a plugbag from rattling?

Fish Eels :D ....

Get some of those small tins like the megabaits and get some of those poppers, but you might need to be willing to sacrifice some plastic if you want them bad enough...

MikeTLive
09-05-2003, 01:25 PM
tonite I will lay out the contents of my fisherman-lures collection and take a few pics to post. I will also try to get a few tins on the way out tonite.
Then you can all point and laugh at the crap I have that doesn't catch fish.

Fisherwoman
09-05-2003, 01:28 PM
MikeTLive, you should try a teaser as you headed your post with. BC and I have been getting fish there almost daily for the past week. Things we have been using are zara spook in a pogie finish. White pencil 1 oz red and white gibb's. ALso using gag's poppers 3/4 oz in maroon and silver. Can never go wrong witht he queen coccaho shads all pearl on a 3/8 oz to 1/2 oz jig head.

Go Get um!!!!!!!

Van
09-05-2003, 01:32 PM
MTL, were you were standing there with another guy?
If so, I saw you on my way home. I was wondering whats up with the binocs. maybe they see sonething !!!!!

Juls, I hope to be out for some early morning chasing tomorrow.
I'll check in with ya.....

All day Sunday I'll be on the outside doing my chunkin thing'
weather permitting....

DRUMCORPFAN
09-05-2003, 01:33 PM
what she said. hi juls :)

JohnR
09-05-2003, 01:41 PM
I would normally add that teasers are good when its just bass but is a teaser worth a couple blues ?

Christian
09-05-2003, 01:58 PM
were they going nuts or just a few jumping out randomly? when i mean nuts like were they doing everything to get away from something underneath . maybe ill check it out with my dada tonight.

MikeTLive
09-05-2003, 01:59 PM
nope - just me all alone. water was flat as can be too.
I need to get my tiny boat spruced up. It can fit in the back of the truck and then I could put in at the beach and motor up and down herding bait.

They were freaking out like something was under them.
Then they would be fine for a while.
then bust loose again.

That is what got myu attention as I drove down by.

Christian
09-05-2003, 02:04 PM
schweet, sounds like fish to me especially if you saw them from the road. ill send you a pm.

Van
09-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Seems sometimes they might just do that.
If you did not see any big splashes or swirls, they may
not have been game fish under them.

I saw this in the bay last week in my boat.
Lots of birds and bait,,,no game fish.

I'll swing by on my way home 2-nite.

RIJIMMY
09-05-2003, 02:17 PM
could be snappers too this time a year. They might not hit plugs and such but are chasing the bait.

Christian
09-05-2003, 02:37 PM
light tackle, little jerk pearl single hook shallow wawa.:nopain:

Notaro
09-05-2003, 06:23 PM
hjohn, i got a lure like urs megabait, but the thing is that it doesnt haver a split ring, is it a bad thing? then what knot should i apply to?

Christian
09-05-2003, 08:57 PM
went tonight, lots of bait, not many fish. i had one hit right at the end of the retrieve with a splash and a swirl farther out but that was it. lots of bait, , i bet early morn there right now the bass are on the surface busting bait.

MikeTLive
09-06-2003, 04:48 AM
yep. same deal.
I pickd up some "tins" and photo'd all my junk.
I will post them later today. Time to go to duxbury.

Sun is rising....Fish are calling.
Sun is setting...Fish are calling.

Christian
09-06-2003, 08:57 AM
hey was someguy taking pictures of you fishing? some guy was taking a tun of me with the city in the back as the sun was going down and bait fish was flying around. very small fish on them, so small they couldnt eat my rubba. i know ive said it like 3 times before but i can almost gaurantee they will be on the surface in the mornings as the suns just goin up.

Stroth
09-07-2003, 11:58 AM
I had a great a.m. with a mega bait jig yesterday. Only problem with this jig is that the finish wears off rather quickly. I even coated it with epoxy beforehand. Anyone have any other ideas?

MikeT:

Here's what I'd have in the bag:

small poppers white with bucktail hook
yozuri swimmers
kastmaster/crippled herring/mega bait tins (i'd fish the kastmaster with a bucktail, the others plain)
plastics (smallest storms/sluggos)

One trick is to cast away from the breaking school. In other words if there is a massive boil in front of you aim for the edges, not the middle.

Vary your lure and retrieve. Sometimes we get so fired up we don't realize we're doing the same thing cast after cast. I'd take one cast and rip the tin through, then take another and let the tin flutter almost to the bottom.

I'll bet you 2:1 that you'll get hits as that tin sinks.

I'm no pro, but hopefully this will help some.

Tightlines,

Stroth

MikeTLive
09-07-2003, 05:51 PM
I have posted pics of whats in my bag here:
my plugs (http://home.scituateharbor.com/msba/plugs)

right now it is one big ass image. I will change it to be better formatted later tonite.

Time for dinner...
Chinese food (skunked again today.)

-miket

Christian
09-07-2003, 07:07 PM
ide like to see a baby mambo minnow in their in olive, bomber a-salts, small pencil, more rubba. use the small gags popper more, you will learn to love it.

Notaro
09-07-2003, 09:46 PM
light tackle and wading style, right, christain?

kayaman
09-07-2003, 09:58 PM
had a ball this evening ...... bait all over the place and bass pushing up from below splashing all around.... gotta love the fall round-up.... they were a little picky but enticed them with small mambo minnows, and some old tins.....

oh yeah..... they were in the harbor south of boston:p

Notaro
09-07-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by kayaman
had oh yeah..... they were in the harbor south of boston:p
castle isle, correct and umass?:D tempting...but gotta focus on my school first...martial arts...then FISH!

Van
09-08-2003, 07:23 AM
Outside the islands was thick with blues yesterday, we hammered them till we ran out of time and bait.
Only one of our striped friends though about 33".
Heard the actioin near shore was spotty, it was definately better outside. Fish were even finning along and we could sight cast to them. This was in 100' of water. If they get hungry enough, they should some in close to feed on those small baits.