View Full Version : Coronavirus / COVID-19 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

JohnR
03-12-2020, 07:44 AM
Joking and politics aside, let's have a Corona Thread.

Most of you I have known long enough to know many of us fit into the concerned zone WRT Awareness. For those of you young enough and in good health, you can still transmit this to your folks / grandparents / neighbors. This is serious enough that large organizations are shutting down large events (20k seat NBA games, March Madness) and some are going crowdless or suspending operations for an undetermined length of time.

From what I am seeing from FSTM (Folks Smahhtah Than Me), the social distancing does a few things.

First and foremost it throttles back the amount of spread, helping to prevent healthcare and emergency services from being overwhelmed.

For example: Wuhan did not implement harsh social distancing / disease control measures until a month into the known epidemic in the city. They peaked at 9600 new ICU/Hospitalized cases per day. Guangzou and other larger but infected cities peaked much lower as they implemented harsh social distancing / disease control measures much earlier in the outbreak.

This is why we need to lock down and severely limit our interactions with people for the foreseeable future. People will get sick, but by spreading out the infection over a longer period of time this will reduce peaks, lessen the chance of overwhelming our Emergencies Services / Hospital Personnel (they have families too), and keep supplies on hand for those that are truly sick.

Next: WASH YOUR #@#$$#$@!@@ Hands ; )

Soap is apparently very effective at killing the virus.

Don't touch your face with your hands, don't pick your nose ; )

Work remotely if you can.

Let's have some REASONABLE discussion on this.

Sea Dangles
03-12-2020, 08:36 AM
Youngest boy is home until at least Monday. I am happy to see BC high trying to prevent the spread.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JFigliuolo
03-12-2020, 09:52 AM
My workplace has always been WFH friendly and is now encouraging it, for all the obvious reasons.

Slipknot
03-12-2020, 10:11 AM
I wash my hands a lot anyway but I also touch my face and won't be able to stop that. I can pick my nose with a tissue and then wash my hands. I also will clean doorknobs a lot more often. I am lucky to work at home most of the time. My folks are in Fla so that is a good thing.

I think some good common sense is in order and the world will get through this.

niko
03-12-2020, 10:26 AM
Mass bass and rissa shows have been cancelled

RickBomba
03-12-2020, 10:54 AM
Social distancing and wash your hands is the best advice.

I think at this point it's in the wild at this point, so there's nothing else that you can do. It's a pretty good way of keeping the flu away, so I'm not really doing anything different.

We're still in the office for now. I can work remotely without a problem.

My wife, on the other hand, is in the service industry. Nothing you can do about that part, which sucks.

Katie
03-12-2020, 11:05 AM
I'm thankful that I have my own office, and we don't deal with the public, so the risk is pretty low. We do have a couple people that travel but not too many. Lots of hand washing and sanitizing. Touch my face too much during the day to stop it now.

FishermanTim
03-12-2020, 12:01 PM
No touching your face?
Why, where has your face been that it would pick up a virus that the rest of the body didn't?
I'm not joking...if you maintain healthy habits (eating and hygiene)
you should be ok.

My big question is "Where did this originate" and "How did it originate"?
Was it a case of poor health practices in Asia? Was it caused by one specific disease crossing species to mutate into this current virus?
Was it man-made or just a fluke of nature?

Is it as dangerous as the media makes it sound, or has it been "glamorized" to make news stories get better viewer ratings?

All I can say is you can advise about "social distancing", but you know nothing short of Martial Law and curfews will stop some groups of people from ignoring basic safe health practices in this event.

ivanputski
03-12-2020, 12:13 PM
The school I work at is probably a day away from closing down the district for 10 day minimum. my guess is, that in 10 days this will low up bigger than now, and we will be out indefinitely until an all clear is issued... who knows when that will be.

Clammer
03-12-2020, 12:22 PM
I,M AFRAID THE DAY CARE WILL BE CLOSING & that will equal a total failure after 22+ years & along with that the building will foreclosure …….…. not enough reserve to cover the length of time & done throwing money in ><><:mad::mad:

JR LMK if we are going out / I, om here for a while ><

Got Stripers
03-12-2020, 01:44 PM
Cancelled our 24th of March flight to a Fort Myers this morning, no golf, no beach and no snook charter. Not what we wanted to do, but we just felt better safe than sorry, airlines/Petri dishes are bad enough during cold and flu season and this was just not worth the risk. Not a problem on the refunds, although a friend sold us the condo for ten days and it’s going to be an challenge getting that money back.

Katie
03-12-2020, 02:00 PM
Just got the "Just in case" email here at work. They're working out the details, but looks like we're possibly working from home in the next week or so.

JohnR
03-12-2020, 02:04 PM
I,M AFRAID THE DAY CARE WILL BE CLOSING & that will equal a total failure after 22+ years & along with that the building will foreclosure …….…. not enough reserve to cover the length of time & done throwing money in ><><:mad::mad:

Sorry to hear this.

JR LMK if we are going out / I, om here for a while ><

Probably not - currently way behind on what I need to do :wall:

Slipknot
03-12-2020, 02:13 PM
Meeting canceled tonight

The Division of Marine Fisheries is cancelling its March 12, 2020 public hearing scheduled for 6PM at MA Maritime Academy. This action is being taken in response to the venue's decision today to cancel all outside events. Due to this late timing and uncertainty surrounding the current public health situation, this hearing is not being rescheduled. We apologize for any inconvenience this unforeseen change in circumstances may have caused.

Instead, DMF is extending the written public comment period through Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 5PM. All interested parties are encouraged to submit written comments. DMF has posted the public hearing document, presentation, and memoranda to the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission regarding each proposal on its website. DMF’s policy staff may be reached by phone at 617-626-1520 or via e-mail at marine.fish@mass.gov if you have any questions about the proposals.

Please submit all written comments to the attention of Acting Director Dan McKiernan. Comments may be submitted by e-mail to marine.fish@mass.gov or by post to 251 Causeway Street, Suite 400, Boston, MA 02114. Comments are to be submitted by March 18, 2020 at 5PM.

Pete F.
03-12-2020, 02:38 PM
Just came back from a meeting in the Adirondacks with Arch from Manhattan, one from Westchester, Eng from Burlington and two people from our office.
I didn't shake anyone's hand but one of the Architects as soon as she arrived wanted to shake everyone's hand.
I said sorry, but I've sworn it off for the time being.
Everyone's office is trying to figure out what to do and how much work is going to disappear, the Eng had a job cancel this am and a little discussion about past recessions where half the office was let go.
Hoping we all muddle thru as best as possible but be careful out there.

Guppy
03-12-2020, 03:33 PM
Went off cape to a Stellwagon Bank fisherman’s meeting the other night to hear a presentation from a DMF guy... (exceptionally good one I might add) and felt uneasy the entire time....

Glad they cancelled the MMA for tonight, I was going! Dah

Take care of yourselves everyone, we’re honker in down this side of the ccc bridge....

JohnR
03-12-2020, 03:43 PM
I saw that MSBA and RISAA shows are canceled. This is prudent.

Sea Dangles
03-12-2020, 04:15 PM
Fidelity just told everybody to work from home for the next 30 days. Yikes!

Raider Ronnie
03-12-2020, 04:27 PM
Everyone needs to chill.
The vaccine is available ��

zimmy
03-12-2020, 04:32 PM
No touching your face?
Why, where has your face been that it would pick up a virus that the rest of the body didn't?
I'm not joking...if you maintain healthy habits (eating and hygiene)
you should be ok.

If you get the virus on your hands, then wipe or itch your eyes, you are transmitting the virus to an entrance site. Same for picking your nose or wiping your mouth. Very common vector for transmission.

wdmso
03-12-2020, 04:34 PM
No picking your nose ... Iam doomed

Got Stripers
03-12-2020, 04:41 PM
Everyone needs to chill.
The vaccine is available 😜

No shock you would take a serious thread to inappropriate, good for you feel better now?

Raider Ronnie
03-12-2020, 04:44 PM
No shock you would take a serious thread to inappropriate, good for you feel better now?

Much better 👍
On the upside there are some deals to be had because of this hoax

Got Stripers
03-12-2020, 04:53 PM
Much better ��

Stop snorting bunker oil it’s fu*ked you up, John requested a rational discussion and you bring your political forum antics over, don’t you have gear to clean and get ready?

BEETLE
03-12-2020, 05:02 PM
Posted by John, Please respect the request.
Thank You and God Bless all ...

Joking and politics aside, let's have a Corona Thread.
Let's have some REASONABLE discussion on this.

BEETLE
03-12-2020, 05:08 PM
I just returned from the local BJs store, parking packed, no carts, got inside lines were insane at checkout, no water and if they had it only 2 per customer, no toilet paper, or other high profile items as sanitizer, other popular items as in frozen section items no or low stock. seeing panic in some faces. Walked out empty handed will go back tomorrow at opening bell.

BEETLE
03-12-2020, 05:13 PM
Agree with J R prudent move to cancel the shows, was supposed to help a friend with his booth at the show and was not comfortable being in a show crowd. No disrespect intended to anyone !

Raider Ronnie
03-12-2020, 05:22 PM
Stop snorting bunker oil it’s fu*ked you up, John requested a rational discussion and you bring your political forum antics over, don’t you have gear to clean and get ready?

Political forum antics ?

Bunker oil is good stuff !
I thought my 2 post were pretty funny.
& I’m too busy doing fiberglass & gelcoat work to new boat to clean gear, that’s my 2 sons job.

Ian
03-12-2020, 06:11 PM
I was supposed to go to the Masters this year...

Got Stripers
03-12-2020, 06:38 PM
Political forum antics ?

Bunker oil is good stuff !
I thought my 2 post were pretty funny.
& I’m too busy doing fiberglass & gelcoat work to new boat to clean gear, that’s my 2 sons job.

Funny stuff, businesses will fail, hourly wage earns will not make the rent, students lives turned upside down, not to mention their parents lives that relied on them being in school so they could work; funny stuff. No cure for stupid.

ivanputski
03-12-2020, 06:50 PM
I saw this coming and started Food shopping , little by little each day over the last 5 days, including medications for my family. We may get to a point like Italy, where stores are closed and we are told to remain in our homes with nothing to buy... I think I have a good 3-4 weeks of food stocked, all stuff that we normally eat anyway. the worst part is not knowing if this will blow over in 2-3 weeks, or just ramp up in that time. We'll see......
The school I teach at just closed for 11 days, and we will be switching to distance learning online.

JohnR
03-12-2020, 07:11 PM
Pretty good look into Coronavirus / Infectious Viruses (including Lyme)

This one wasn't too bad.

spence
03-12-2020, 07:29 PM
I saw this coming and started Food shopping , little by little each day over the last 5 days, including medications for my family. We may get to a point like Italy, where stores are closed and we are told to remain in our homes with nothing to buy... I think I have a good 3-4 weeks of food stocked, all stuff that we normally eat anyway. the worst part is not knowing if this will blow over in 2-3 weeks, or just ramp up in that time. We'll see......
The school I teach at just closed for 11 days, and we will be switching to distance learning online.
I don’t think we’d get to a point where you can’t buy food. The problem could be things get thin like they are for some items now and you have no toilet paper for three weeks.

I think it is worth stocking up on some items assuming you will get sick. Gatorade for the electrolytes or something similar, basic flu meds etc...

Sea Dangles
03-12-2020, 07:29 PM
Much better 👍

Did PaulS give you permission to use this photo?

PaulS
03-12-2020, 07:44 PM

Does anyone question why I think you're a scumbag?

Raider Ronnie
03-12-2020, 08:15 PM

Wow
I never seen the before but looks like the surgeon did a decent job.
Is it Paula now ?

JohnR
03-12-2020, 08:17 PM
Wow
I never seen the before but looks like the surgeon did a decent job.
Is it Paula now ?

Don't be an ass, Ron

Raider Ronnie
03-12-2020, 08:25 PM
Don't be an ass, Ron

You’ve allowed this FISHING site to become what it is John with that #^&#^&#^&#^&ing political forum, deal with it

Got Stripers
03-12-2020, 08:28 PM
John are you serious, those two don’t know how to not be one, with shelves emptying, complete sport seasons and our usual fishing shows cancelled, businesses and the economy taking a huge hit, let’s have some inappropriate fun. Two fu*cked up peas in a pod.

Raider Ronnie
03-12-2020, 08:37 PM
John are you serious, those two don’t know how to not be one, with shelves emptying, complete sport seasons and our usual fishing shows cancelled, businesses and the economy taking a huge hit, let’s have some inappropriate fun. Two fu*cked up peas in a pod.

Someone needs some time in their Safe Place 😩

Got Stripers
03-12-2020, 08:39 PM
You’ve allowed this FISHING site to become what it is John with that #^&#^&#^&#^&ing political forum, deal with it

Hey here is a suggestion, grow a pair, show some restraint and if you don’t like the political forum don’t click on it; seems pretty simple or do you prefer to just angrily rant.

JohnR
03-12-2020, 09:10 PM

1 month, or whatever. You want to destabilize and be an ass. Dealing with it ; )

wdmso
03-13-2020, 05:03 AM
Daughters closing her 1st house in April. Only for her and her fiancee to both more than likely to get laid off , with these shut downs
She's dental hygienist and the cancellations have all ready started and he works at EB

Yet the wife works in a nursing home which has stopped all family members for visiting (some are threatening to sue . ) screening all staff

But have provided zero information on the plan if the virus shows or if they send an employee home who they suspect maybe sick , are they getting paid they cant get a test to show it's not C19,

Rmarsh
03-13-2020, 05:40 AM
The 24/7.... non stop media coverage and internet are making this situation much worse, as far as the panic and overreacting we are seeing.
There have always been deadly viruses....and people getting sick, and people die....never seen this kind of press coverage before...
This time is different...a real health concern but blown way out of proportion for tv ratings.......filling the void left by other news stories that withered away.

scottw
03-13-2020, 05:58 AM
The 24/7.... non stop media coverage and internet are making this situation much worse, as far as the panic and overreacting we are seeing.
There have always been deadly viruses....and people getting sick, and people die....never seen this kind of press coverage before...
This time is different...a real health concern but blown way out of proportion for tv ratings.......filling the void left by other news stories that withered away.

yup....nobody making fun of the "preppers" who stockpile food, tp and guns/ammo, right now :laugha:

JohnR
03-13-2020, 06:36 AM
Media, large swath of public, and Politicians:

Why hasn't the Gubmint stockpiled masks, PPE, and TP?

The Prepared:

Always have a few months worth of essentials you can stretch to 2-3x this.

yup....nobody making fun of the "preppers" who stockpile food, tp and guns/ammo, right now :laugha:

Well, they are still making fun of ammo ; )

Higgie
03-13-2020, 09:13 AM
Went to purchase some ammo yesterday and first store was out of what I needed. The owner said it’s been a busy week people buying by the case. Went to the big box store and had to be 12-15 people looking to purchase firearms at 3 pm on a Thursday. I’m under the believe I’d rather be over prepared rather then under. But growing up how I did we always had an extra freezer stocked with food and a surplus of cleaning supplies and paper goods. I don’t get the soap and tp flying off the shelves did people just not wash there hands before

Got Stripers
03-13-2020, 09:37 AM
Thought I could go into BJ's for just one case of water some blueberries and some batteries and hit the 5 items or less registers, even people with just the same few items were 50 deep in line. Went to my liquor store, picked up a case of beer, case of water, hit the local market paid a bit more for blueberries and some bananas and was home before half those idiots checked out at BJ's.

JohnR
03-13-2020, 10:47 AM
Another very good article on why social distancing and hunkering down is the way to fight this:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Went to purchase some ammo yesterday and first store was out of what I needed. The owner said it’s been a busy week people buying by the case. Went to the big box store and had to be 12-15 people looking to purchase firearms at 3 pm on a Thursday. I’m under the believe I’d rather be over prepared rather then under. But growing up how I did we always had an extra freezer stocked with food and a surplus of cleaning supplies and paper goods. I don’t get the soap and tp flying off the shelves did people just not wash there hands before

Simple minimum stocks guideline: When ammo falls below 3k rounds, buy a few thousand more ; )

(it is easy to go through several hundred rounds in a few hours of Range Fun Time)

basswipe
03-13-2020, 11:19 AM
A lot of the naysayers seem to be forgetting about the 1919 influenza outbreak...600,000 Americans were dead by 1920 before a vaccine was developed.

The country was MUCH less populated back then,compared to then we are packed in like sardines today.The good news is we are much more medically advanced and more aware of what's going on a daily basis and can adapt to changing conditions much more easily.I do believe people are over panicking but that's the nature of the beast.

basswipe
03-13-2020, 11:22 AM
(it is easy to go through several hundred rounds in a few hours of Range Fun Time)

That's why the vast majority of my range time is spent shooting .22LR!

Slipknot
03-13-2020, 11:28 AM
Another very good article on why social distancing and hunkering down is the way to fight this:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

good article

the parts about Containment and Mitigation are eye opening and really need to be taken seriously.

The wife took the day off today and yesterday was given a laptop to bring home to do a trial work at home for Monday

Everyone should have 2 weeks worth of essentials at home anyway, and if you don't you adapt or improvise to overcome.

basswipe
03-13-2020, 11:31 AM
If you're looking for TP I would suggest staying away from the bigbox stores and grocery chains as you'll find none unless you follow the delivery trucks and even then that's no guarantee.Your local "dollar" type store is a much better (and safer!) bet.

If you're a handsanitizer nut and can't find any or can't make any with isopropyl alcohol,good 'ol Everclear grain alcohol is an excellent alternative and if your stupid you can drink it minus the aloe gel.

spence
03-13-2020, 11:35 AM
good 'ol Everclear grain alcohol is an excellent alternative and if your stupid you can drink it minus the aloe gel.
Get a trash can, contractor bag and a lot of powdered Gatorade for the mix, you'll need the electrolytes when you're sick.

basswipe
03-13-2020, 11:35 AM
The wife took the day off today and yesterday was given a laptop to bring home to do a trial work at home for Monday

That's a good thing for sure.I'm lucky mine's been working out of the house for quite a few years now.With me being laid up after my fall I don't really have to worry about work for a couple of weeks.

Slipknot
03-13-2020, 11:43 AM
I hope you heal ok basswipe

l.i.fish.in.vt
03-13-2020, 11:45 AM
maybe this is natures way of thinning out the herd,way too many people on this earth.

basswipe
03-13-2020, 11:49 AM
I hope you heal ok basswipe

Thanks.

Nothing to major...a lot of bruises,a concussion and few staples in the back of my head.

JohnR
03-13-2020, 12:00 PM
A lot of the naysayers seem to be forgetting about the 1919 influenza outbreak...600,000 Americans were dead by 1920 before a vaccine was developed.

The country was MUCH less populated back then,compared to then we are packed in like sardines today.The good news is we are much more medically advanced and more aware of what's going on a daily basis and can adapt to changing conditions much more easily.I do believe people are over panicking but that's the nature of the beast.

We've been getting vaccinated for similar types for generations.

That's why the vast majority of my range time is spent shooting .22LR!

.22 Should be stocked in the high thousands for Post Apocalypse Currency :rotf2:

piemma
03-13-2020, 01:50 PM
I just returned from the local BJs store, parking packed, no carts, got inside lines were insane at checkout, no water and if they had it only 2 per customer, no toilet paper, or other high profile items as sanitizer, other popular items as in frozen section items no or low stock. seeing panic in some faces. Walked out empty handed will go back tomorrow at opening bell.

I went to BJs in Franklin yesterday. Same, same. I was in at 9 AM and got the last package of paper towels. Crazy!! Saw a guy with 8 cases of water. Said he was stocking up. WTF!!!

BEETLE
03-13-2020, 02:00 PM
Saw a pickup loaded up to the roofline last week before they started limiting how much to buy. Obviously going to resell the water at inflated rates. Just saw a container (1) of lysol wipes on offer up for $40. !!!

Guppy
03-13-2020, 04:29 PM
maybe this is natures way of thinning out the herd,way too many people on this earth.

This

Been holding back mentioning this, you can’t f with Mother Nature....
my fear is someday it will happen, hope I’m pushing up daisies...:smash:

Guppy
03-13-2020, 04:31 PM
I went to BJs in Franklin yesterday. Same, same. I was in at 9 AM and got the last package of paper towels. Crazy!! Saw a guy with 8 cases of water. Said he was stocking up. WTF!!!

I see a shopping carriage stuffed with paper towels also,,,, WTF

scottw
03-13-2020, 05:22 PM
Saw a guy with 8 cases of water. Said he was stocking up. WTF!!!

??

scottw
03-13-2020, 05:23 PM

if you cut them in half you have 2 rolls of toilet paper...sort of :hihi:

Ian
03-13-2020, 07:50 PM

Ive been an eye roller at these kinds of folks for my entire life... the past few weeks, observing the irrational hysteria sweeping humanity... I kinda wish I had a safe of guns in a bunker buried in my back yard.

Nebe
03-13-2020, 09:31 PM
You hoard water before natural disasters when the power goes out and public works systems fail. Anyone who hoards water right now is an idiot.

You need to hoard food, books, booze and oh I dunno.. maybe things related to getting sick with a respiratory infection. Yo azz is going to be fine. No need for tons of toilet paper.

The Dad Fisherman
03-13-2020, 09:35 PM
So far it's Business as usual for me, they haven't closed the base...yet. I'm sure if they have a case pop up they will. Not really a work from home option right now.

I got stuff in the freezer, plenty of movies, and I've inventoried the Bourbon/Scotch. Im good.

Sea Dangles
03-13-2020, 10:46 PM
Son came home tonight from Newark to Boston for a couple nights. Although he works from home the next 30 days, the visit will be temporary. Scary times as his flight had 8 passengers.👀

Sea Dangles
03-13-2020, 10:47 PM
You hoard water before natural disasters when the power goes out and public works systems fail. Anyone who hoards water right now is an idiot.

You need to hoard food, books, booze and oh I dunno.. maybe things related to getting sick with a respiratory infection. Yo azz is going to be fine. No need for tons of toilet paper.

This

I have tp for trade...

BEETLE
03-14-2020, 05:53 AM
https://youtu.be/5K9-Lz0SbrA
Johnny Carson 1973 classic on toilet paper shortage.

piemma
03-14-2020, 06:06 AM

Ray, I don't get it either. Maybe these people all live hand to mouth. All I know is I have 15 acres. 8 in fields. I will plant the whole thing in vegs this year if there's no food. I got a herd of deer and a flock of turkeys. If I have to kill something, I will. Oh, and BTW, I have over 10,000 rounds of ammo for every one of my long guns and pistols. I'm good.

Cannot believe it will come to that though

Guppy
03-14-2020, 06:25 AM
Ray, I don't get it either. Maybe these people all live hand to mouth. All I know is I have 15 acres. 8 in fields. I will plant the whole thing in vegs this year if there's no food. I got a herd of deer and a flock of turkeys. If I have to kill something, I will. Oh, and BTW, I have over 10,000 rounds of ammo for every one of my long guns and pistols. I'm good.

Do you have a spare room? LOL :wavey:

Got Stripers
03-14-2020, 06:34 AM

Big arses require tons of TP.

RIROCKHOUND
03-14-2020, 07:02 AM
Even in Italy the grocery stores and pharmacies are open. People are just overreacting.. Did the normal shopping plus some extra this week. We're already well stocked from BJs already. Still have some blackfish in the freezer and will maybe go grab some 'hogs if I get bored enough...

bart
03-14-2020, 07:27 AM

You have to be the most insufferable person on this site.

rphud
03-14-2020, 07:31 AM
Just got the word to stay off site unless needed on any particular day. Wife said the store was wiped out at 7AM Friday. Came home with yogurts and ice cream though.

Lines at Treehouse are supposed to maintain 10 feet distance between those in line, and they erected partitions for their folks to stand behind when serving. Cans only, no cash.

Clammer
03-14-2020, 07:52 AM
RIRH >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bri .I,d send you all my extra BJ<s ……...But even @ this age …...there is NEVER TOO many >> you can chase the hogs ..I,ll stick it to the clams ><><:drool::drool::drool::drool:

P A U L I E ..I,ll help ya plant W E E D :wid:

basswipe
03-14-2020, 09:16 AM
Complete and total pandemonium in Fall River this morning.Was at Market Basket by 6:30am and by 7 complete insanity.People just grabbing for anything.Canned and frozen food in very short supply,any type of disinfectant cleaners/sprays are non existent and this all after they got a delivery this morning.S&S not much better according to a friend.

Joblot 8oz handsanitizer $4.24 limit one.Limit 2 on TP at most stores in my area.

Glad my household and my dad's are well stocked.If worse comes to worse there's plenty of squirrels that hang around the bird feeders!

BEETLE
03-14-2020, 10:27 AM
IMO - last place you wanna be right now is in a crowded market then standing in checkout line for half hour +/-

spence
03-14-2020, 10:35 AM
Complete and total pandemonium in Fall River this morning.Was at Market Basket by 6:30am and by 7 complete insanity.People just grabbing for anything.Canned and frozen food in very short supply,any type of disinfectant cleaners/sprays are non existent and this all after they got a delivery this morning.S&S not much better according to a friend.
I’ve been ramping up the pantry for a month expecting this would happen. Hopefully the PeaPod delivery tomorrow comes mostly through to top things off

Have noticed my lectures to the kids on wasting food, leaving packages open to get stale etc... have gotten more pointed in the last week. They can’t even comprehend what life could be like if we ever faced a real shortage.

BEETLE
03-14-2020, 12:00 PM
Hey Spence hate to bust your bubble but my 34 yo daughter comes here with 2 kids in tow and still does what your complaining about. Then fills sink with dishes while the grandkids turn the house upside down. But the wife just shushes me as always and says it's ok its her babies. Don't let that happen to you stay on them. Good luck....

scottw
03-14-2020, 12:02 PM
They can’t even comprehend what life could be like if we ever faced a real shortage.

they could ask Siri....

Clammer
03-14-2020, 12:16 PM
I have a book smart / street stupid 77y/o sister that I truly love ………………… but common sense .no clue where that went ,

went she comes here ………. my electric bill doubles ..everywhere she goes / the lights are ……… I guess there is no off switch ,
but soda . 1/2 can here, 1/4 there …………..unoprned on the patio ……………… 1/2 glass on the counter next to the soda she didn,t put back in the frig .

she talks about growing up in F/P ………. we must have lived in two different f/p.s …………………. I think she got laid too late :love:

spence
03-14-2020, 12:49 PM
Hey Spence hate to bust your bubble but my 34 yo daughter comes here with 2 kids in tow and still does what your complaining about. Then fills sink with dishes while the grandkids turn the house upside down. But the wife just shushes me as always and says it's ok its her babies. Don't let that happen to you stay on them. Good luck....
I don’t expect perfection but the kids need to learn to do the basics on their own. Mess attracts insects and mice and it’s just gross. If the trash is full take it out. If there are dirty dishes in the sink empty the dishwasher and put them away. If there are crumbs on the floor sweep them up.

Maybe I’m just a snob but I’m astounded at how some people keep their houses when I visit.

piemma
03-14-2020, 01:02 PM
Do you have a spare room? LOL :wavey:

Ray, I, in fact, have 1200 sq. ft garage, all insulated, wood stove, 200 AMP service, fridge, and coffee maker and a recliner. I stay down there myself sometimes. Depends how much wine I have drank.

BEETLE
03-14-2020, 01:14 PM
Spence stay on them to do chit right. Expect nothing but their best. Dont let the wife intervene like mine did. She has been called enabler many times. !!!

BEETLE
03-14-2020, 01:16 PM
Just went to dunkin swung by bjs around the corner and stop & shop. Just a drive bys to see how busy. Seems like things have subsided a bit today. People probably out early or scared to go out

Got Stripers
03-14-2020, 02:13 PM
Spent my day of staying away from the madness with ear muffs on and a chain saw buzzing to keep the noise down. Banged out an owl for a friend who wanted something for her brother for Xmas, just need to order some larger eyes and maybe a little sanding, let it dry a month or so and hit it with a few coats of sealer.

nightfighter
03-14-2020, 04:36 PM

While I really dislike the chosen delivery, this statement is absolute truth.....

BEETLE
03-14-2020, 04:49 PM
Looks like he got the penalty box for that !

Guppy
03-14-2020, 04:50 PM
Ray, I, in fact, have 1200 sq. ft garage, all insulated, wood stove, 200 AMP service, fridge, and coffee maker and a recliner. I stay down there myself sometimes. Depends how much wine I have drank.

I know, seen it couple years back when you tried thinning the herd, thought about that right after my post,,, it’ll need to look like the Marriott on Marco for my bride to move in and a Chico’s down the street ... ;-)

B safe

nightfighter
03-14-2020, 04:53 PM
Spent my day of staying away from the madness with ear muffs on and a chain saw buzzing to keep the noise down. Banged out an owl for a friend who wanted something for her brother for Xmas, just need to order some larger eyes and maybe a little sanding, let it dry a month or so and hit it with a few coats of sealer.

Endearing yourself to the neighbors, I am sure....

Guppy
03-14-2020, 05:12 PM
“ Cape Cod Hospital Confirms First Coronavirus Case in Barnstable County”

Chit!

JohnR
03-14-2020, 05:31 PM
While I really dislike the chosen delivery, this statement is absolute truth.....

He only complains. I would like people discuss more fishing too but everyone just yells at each other.

“ Cape Cod Hospital Confirms First Coronavirus Case in Barnstable County”

Chit!

:buds:

fishgolf
03-14-2020, 05:54 PM
"they could ask Siri...."

That was funny...

Got Stripers
03-14-2020, 08:39 PM
Endearing yourself to the neighbors, I am sure....

Empty summer cottages all sides, other than one neighbor who’s barking dog all day every day deserves some payback.

piemma
03-15-2020, 06:43 AM
I don't want to seem like I am insensitive to this situation but:

N1H1 Virus also known as the Swine Flu.

60.8 million people infected.

17,000+ died.

No panic, nothing canceled, no one hoarding toilet paper.

WTF am I missing?????

Got Stripers
03-15-2020, 07:29 AM

I could be wrong, but I think the age of us originals and social media sites has either reduced the interest or changed where it’s discussed. Look at the name of this site and then consider the state of the stocks, last year I never when out with the intent to target stripers and when I did catch them, I never stayed on them long. My fishing interest is sea bass and Tog early and late season, rather be golfing than fishing at this stage of my life.

Bring back Eel Man and I can get into a good fishing debate, boy did I have some fun debating methods and presentations with him. Early on this site scheduled a bunch of get togethers which certainly helped bond us together and keep the discussions active. Facebook and the pros and cons of social media has changed where, how and if you even want to share information. Might be great for the charter guys to promote their business, but it can turn your favorite spot into a sh*t show, the canal a perfect example.

How is the rehab going Ross?

JFigliuolo
03-15-2020, 07:31 AM

17,000+ died.

WTF am I missing?????

Simple math paul... by your numbers a VERY LOW mortality rate for swine... like .02% vs 2%

Got Stripers
03-15-2020, 07:35 AM
Additionally from what I understand, if you get this and don’t die, your lungs are severely scared for life. I don’t remember how contagious the swine flu was, but this one is extremely contagious, the danger is our health care systems might become overwhelmed, which might increase the mortality rate.

The Dad Fisherman
03-15-2020, 07:44 AM

17,000+ died.

WTF am I missing?????

People are getting stupider

clambo
03-15-2020, 07:46 AM
Don't be too hard on people who use humor to deal with the fear of this virus. This virus is quite contagious. Press is creating a frenzy. This virus has a 4% fatality rate that means 96% do not die! SARS is a corona virus with a 40% fatality rate but not as contagious.Even the health care system can't seem to decide how to react to this as far as how to protect nurses from the virus. The protocols are changing by the day! I think they should follow the most stringent
protocols possible as my wife is an ER nurse and if the first responders get sick we are all in trouble. Spain just shut down the country. Stay home, wash hands (25 seconds) often, stay safe

piemma
03-15-2020, 09:33 AM
Additionally from what I understand, if you get this and don’t die, your lungs are severely scared for life. I don’t remember how contagious the swine flu was, but this one is extremely contagious, the danger is our health care systems might become overwhelmed, which might increase the mortality rate.

Bob, you may be right about the scared lungs but at my age who the F&^%K cares. We all gotta die from something and sometime.

Me? I don't give a #^&#^&#^&#^&. I had Cancer twice, 2 heart attacks, more injuries than I care to get into. Served during the Nam debacle so if I go tomorrow it's fine.

Just as long as I break 80 on a real good course, I'm good to go. Fishing? I caught, released and killed enough Bass to feed a 3rd World country so there's nothing there for me anymore.

I really believe this hysteria is being fueled by social media and the media in general.

Hoarding TP!! Go wipe your ass with some leaves!!!!:wall:

Rmarsh
03-15-2020, 10:13 AM
I really believe this hysteria is being fueled by social media and the media in general. Hoarding TP!! Go wipe your ass with some leaves!!!!:wall:

Total agreement with you on this point.
I am completely disgusted with how the general public is handling this!
Not saying it's a hoax.......but people should just calm the #^&#^&#^&#^& down. It's a shame!

fishgolf
03-15-2020, 11:29 AM
Hunkering down with my visiting daughter. Wife is a nurse and getting very busy at local hospital. Disinfected surfaces in home and vehicles this morning. Watching "The Simpsons" while preparing boiled dinner before my wife heads back to work. Hitting the beach later this afternoon to see if the whales are around.

zimmy
03-15-2020, 01:50 PM
Total agreement with you on this point.
I am completely disgusted with how the general public is handling this!
Not saying it's a hoax.......but people should just calm the #^&#^&#^&#^& down. It's a shame!

I also agree that people are acting like $&#&&, but too many voices are equating asshat people and government responses. The two should not be viewed as one.

agsurfr
03-15-2020, 02:20 PM
The mortality figure is inaccurate. Many people have minor symptoms and are not very sick. They may infect others as a result and dont know they have covid 19. They are not tested. Also, the ability to test has been severely limited until very recently so the denominator in your fatality rate equation is inaccurate and skewed. The truth is it is lower than the 4% quoted earlier. Hard to say how much lower.

One of the big issues with this virus is that it is new and not well understood. Everyone should do their best to keep their hands clean and away from their face. Stay away from crowds. The thinking is a distance of 6 feet will keep you out of range of folks that are contagious.

Good time to go fishing

bart
03-15-2020, 03:36 PM
Raider Ronnie is still a clown. No cure for being a complete jackass. Have no idea why anyone would book a charter with him. Does he even allow homosexuals, liberals, or people of color on his boat?? Or does he smile to their faces while posting his garbage on here.

RR was allowed to advertise his business here and now he’s giving John chit. The rest of you guys who’ve been here a while ok with that? We’re lucky to have a free platform to talk fishing... you guys ok with that bigot calling out John ??!

nightfighter
03-15-2020, 04:51 PM
How is the rehab going Ross?

Finally going well, Bob. Walking well. The knee is not consuming my every waking minute, as it did for eight plus months. Yesterday marked one year from the fall that forced me into having the replacement. Still need to have surgery (arthroscope) to remove the newly formed scar tissue that is blocking me and limiting my range of motion to 105 degrees. Hoping to get another ten to fifteen degrees. But I am not going to schedule this elective surgery anytime soon given the current health care emergency.

Bart, I know John has had the tools available to handle this all along. He just doesn't publicize it. Removal or censorship has never been taken lightly here. While I have disapproved of the forum for many years, I am more disgusted by the lack of decorum and respect by our members within that forum.

bart
03-15-2020, 05:00 PM
Bart, I know John has had the tools available to handle this all along. He just doesn't publicize it. Removal or censorship has never been taken lightly here. While I have disapproved of the forum for many years, I am more disgusted by the lack of decorum and respect by our members within that forum.

Well said, especially the latter part. I respect you and everyone knows you’re a good and respected man. It just pisses me off when people have The nerve to tell him how to run his own site. He’s not getting rich off this as we know. We all learned so much and made so many friends bc of this site. It doesn’t sit well with me when someone disrespects John when he’s been consistently fair with everyone. I know I’m preaching to the choir so please don’t take my comments as being directed towards you.

bart
03-15-2020, 06:26 PM
I love how Raider, Spence, Eben, Jim in Ct, Dangles come here to talk politics when they could go to any number of sites where politics is the primary topic. Most of these guys don’t even fish. A bunch of wannabee big fish in a small pond here. Too afraid to step into the fray on other sites geared towards politics.

Sea Dangles
03-15-2020, 06:26 PM
Stay safe and be smart people

Sea Dangles
03-15-2020, 06:28 PM
I love how Raider, Spence, Eben, Jim in Ct, Dangles come here to talk politics when they could go to any number of sites where politics is the primary topic. A bunch of wannabee big fish in a small pond here. Too afraid to step into the fray on other sites geared towards politics.

Sorry to hear about Kobe. I know he was your favorite,Bart.

bart
03-15-2020, 06:29 PM
Sorry to hear about Kobe. I know he was your favorite,Bart.

I’m sorry your favorite rub and tug shut down

Sea Dangles
03-15-2020, 07:38 PM
I’m sorry your favorite rub and tug shut down

It’s all virtual now.

bart
03-15-2020, 07:59 PM
You do have an uncanny ability to diffuse a situation, I’ll give you that Christopher.

Nebe
03-15-2020, 11:31 PM
Bart.. I think you should review how many posts I have made in the political forum in the last 6 months before you use me as an example.

piemma
03-16-2020, 03:40 AM
Well, this whole thing certainly went south rather quickly.

scottw
03-16-2020, 05:30 AM
Bart.. I think you should review how many posts I have made in the political forum in the last 6 months before you use me as an example.

it's not your quantity...it's your QUALITY :laugha:

seriously....hope everyone keeps their head and gets through this better on the other side for having gone through it...not the first or last time we've been or will be tested in some way....check in with your elderly friends, remember many of them are alone and might be more isolate than ever now.. and remind them of the things they need to avoid like unnecessary trips.....my Dad was headed out somewhere Saturday morning and I asked..."where are you going?".... he said "Lowes"...I said "oh, good, probably not crowded at Lowes on a Saturday morning":huh:..he could have gotten the bottle of silicone that he really didn't need at the local hardware store but wanted to browse... I said...."do you have hand sanitizer?"...I got a blank confused look like...what's that?? I handed him a bottle from my car...he checks every box for most vulnerable group not just for this but any flu but doesn't acknowledge it...just limit your exposure to others as much as possible...I try to do that through the winter flu months anyway and do the best to control the things that we can control...

Rmarsh
03-16-2020, 05:54 AM
"In The USA 34,000 people died of the flu last year. The year before there was 61,000 deaths from the flu in the states"........

"Overall, the CDC estimates that 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010 can be blamed on the flu. Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year."

Why weren't we as concerned then as we are now?
If these figures are correct... we might be overreacting. I realize the death toll from this virus is still rising.
Maybe it was reported, but I don't remember hearing anything about it at the time...... I think something strange is happening within our news and social media?

Got Stripers
03-16-2020, 07:16 AM
Government closing all public schools, forcing all restaurants and bars to do take out only and ban any public gathering over 25 people in Mass is going to kill so many hourly and service workers. I’m not happy with what the market crash has taken out of my retirement account, but I can’t imagine the financial impact to a younger family.

Sea Dangles
03-16-2020, 07:40 AM
"In The USA 34,000 people died of the flu last year. The year before there was 61,000 deaths from the flu in the states"........

"Overall, the CDC estimates that 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010 can be blamed on the flu. Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year."

Why weren't we as concerned then as we are now?
If these figures are correct... we might be overreacting. I realize the death toll from this virus is still rising.
Maybe it was reported, but I don't remember hearing anything about it at the time...... I think something strange is happening within our news and social media?

If you have watched enough news to see what happened to Italy then you might stop comparing this to the flu. Just saying. Their obituary pages just increased tenfold last week.

Sea Dangles
03-16-2020, 07:43 AM
He will be gone faster than he showed back up. Last time he posted,he deleted the post and disappeared into thin air til yesterday. I guess this is the fray🙀

Got Stripers
03-16-2020, 07:49 AM
Dr. Oz was just interviewed by channel 25, where he stated that if these extreme measures mass and others are taking aren’t adopted, the modeling showed half the US infected and deaths over one million. That isn’t comforting with how this administration started so slowly to understand how radical preventive measures needed to be.

bloocrab
03-16-2020, 08:58 AM
I'm no rocketship, but how can comparisons of an annual death rate caused by influenza be compared to a virus that IMO is still in it's infancy stage of roughly 3 months?
I don't believe we have enough analytical data to support anything at this point (in regards to comparisons). Maybe the gov. is trying to keep the crazies at bay with some of their reports, so maybe that's why they're using that as a comparison? :huh:
We don't even know the long term affect that this may cause because again, we don't have the data to support that yet. Could a person who did get infected and survived, now have a compromised immune system or respiratory system? I've read that it's in ways similar to the SARS/MERS CoV...having possibly originated in bats, but if it's continuing to evolve, what type of long term affect could it have on a survivor?

I'm not the paranoid type, nor a conspiratorian (yep, my own word)... but with a young child and elderly parents, thinking I'm going to side with caution and limit our attendance to group events etc/.
May get a few extra packages of chicken and turkey to store in the freezer, but the toilet paper is not needed. I chit ice cream, so my turds get recycled.... :humpty:

Be safe, ...but if you happen to contract this virus, please limit your posts to the political forum, that seems to be the only forum that needs thinning (I heard the virus has evolved into a "hacking" virus...so it can be transmitted via the www),..

**As a sidenote, the few times that I have entered the forum, (who's name should never be spoken)... I always thought y'all debated in jest, but as it's leaked out on to the main page, youze guys are seriously making enemies?? That part I don't get.

Peace brethren :smokin: ...it's legal now, go get yourself some and chill-axe... life's 2 short.

Clammer
03-16-2020, 09:00 AM
a few of you guys have turned what was suppose to be a tread

on the virus , to a he,s a , its A .pissing war …...SAD :hs:

BEETLE
03-16-2020, 09:53 AM
Agreed... i frequent sol more now. I guess his rules aren't so bad afterall

BEETLE
03-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Watch the 2 hour documentary called Unseen Enemy produced in 2017. Viruses, 1917 to present how they start and how they spread.

basswipe
03-16-2020, 10:13 AM
All bars and restaraunts done in RI.Takeout and delivery won't keep them afloat and the unemployment/TDI system will more than likely collapse under all this.

I wonder how many thousands of small businesses across this country will simply be gone after all this is over.

Mark my words the aftermath will be far far worse than any disease.Can't wait for the first reports of looting,the crime rate will go through the roof.

PaulS
03-16-2020, 10:39 AM
The Pres. and Governors have a tough decision to make where someone is always going to complain. Close things down to try to contain the virus and people will loose jobs or leave them open and the virus spreads more.

bloocrab
03-16-2020, 11:37 AM
All bars and restaraunts done in RI.Takeout and delivery won't keep them afloat and the unemployment/TDI system will more than likely collapse under all this.

I wonder how many thousands of small businesses across this country will simply be gone after all this is over.

Mark my words the aftermath will be far far worse than any disease.Can't wait for the first reports of looting,the crime rate will go through the roof.

Let's not lose sight of what's most important here... human life.
If it hits you on a personal level and you lose a dear loved one, you won't give a rats A$s about the economy/etc... people will complain that not enough restrictions were put in place. It's easy to generalize until it enters your "circle of trust" members....

God help us all - and as they say on the cruise-ships, "washy-washy"!!!

Clammer
03-16-2020, 01:24 PM
Gilly & Joe , I hear you both ,but either way / effected or not physically by this for you family .which I pray happens to no one , which isn,t going to happen .
The ripple effect on businesses will be far reaching on so many different levels ,
from employees , to owners , to bill payments , &&&&& so much moves …. I saw a interview with a couple getting married in a month / they were concerned about the seniors that are scheduled to go …..now add by then , the place, the food, travel, honeymoon & more .
sadly in many instances . tough luck if you miss a commercial mortgage payment ……...do you really think the lender is going to let your payment , pently & interest slide .
even things ya don,t think of …...last night I found out that our shellfish dealers are open on a day to day ……… all fisheries must be the same .
I,m not here thinking of whose going to be working and not …………………… but except jobs that are completely essential .. like police, fire, recsue, military , medical , electric & the like the longer this lasts the deeper this is going to go .
and to think just Saturday night , one of the guys that were with us for summer was on a roll that the only live sports he could find on TV . was real kick ass boxing ><>
as long as the booze stores stay open . most of us won,t see riots ……….. if they close .watch .or watch anywhere that is sparsly occupied & not enough people/workers to stop it ><>,
I was telling Gale that a scenero that would piss off the trout fisherman …………………….. they don,t want crowds ,,,,so someone informs the governor about the crowds on opening >>>>>>>>>>> we'll fix that // no stocking at all & no opening day ////// keep it closed ><> I was in Richmond / Carolina yesterday . before I got to the beaches ……..every waterway I checked was trout posted ...that,s a extreme , but people get crazy ><>< lets just hope & pray or whatever you believe in ><.

piemma
03-16-2020, 02:42 PM
Here's good one. I have a friend in NC. He said the hills are on fire with stills. Seems the State has restricted how much booze you can buy so the moonshiners are ramping up production.

God, I love this Country of ours.

basswipe
03-16-2020, 03:49 PM
To Paul and bloo I am literally watching this live and in living color.These folks are losing everything on an announcement,we're literally taking everything we can from friends establishment before it goes bad.Its absolutely insane watching a good friend lose a business on a single announcement.All I can tell you is enjoy your not so clear view of what's happening because you're going to be paying for it much sooner than later.

piemma
03-16-2020, 04:41 PM
To Paul and bloo I am literally watching this live and in living color.These folks are losing everything on an announcement,we're literally taking everything we can from friends establishment before it goes bad.Its absolutely insane watching a good friend lose a business on a single announcement.All I can tell you is enjoy your not so clear view of what's happening because you're going to be paying for it much sooner than later.

...and what would you have me do???? I don't have any control over anything and it doesn't do any good to wring my hands and say the sky is falling. I'm just staying in my world and controlling it.

PaulS
03-16-2020, 04:45 PM
Here's good one. I have a friend in NC. He said the hills are on fire with stills. Seems the State has restricted how much booze you can buy so the moonshiners are ramping up production.

God, I love this Country of ours.

WV didn't have any cases as of this morning. Maybe the moonshine kills the virus.:walk:

basswipe
03-16-2020, 04:47 PM
...and what would you have me do????

Live would be good.

Got Stripers
03-16-2020, 04:48 PM
Stocked up on high alcohol content IPA’s and lots of vacuumed sealed tog still in the freezer and thankfully we had bought TP in bulk before the outbreak.

piemma
03-16-2020, 04:49 PM
Live would be good.

I fully intend to. They haven't gotten me yet. Don't worry about what you can't control. Just stay in control of what you can.

Got Stripers
03-16-2020, 04:58 PM
I fully intend to. They haven't gotten me yet. Don't worry about what you can't control. Just stay in control of what you can.

Great time to self isolate of the golf course Paul, very few on mine today, was a bit cool but good to get away from any news and BS.

piemma
03-16-2020, 05:55 PM
Great time to self isolate of the golf course Paul, very few on mine today, was a bit cool but good to get away from any news and BS.

Friday Bob.

basswipe
03-16-2020, 06:02 PM

That's my plan too my friend.Piece to you and yours.Tight lines...I'm done here.

JohnR thankyou for a great site but its time has come and gone.

I'm tired...goodnight all.

Clammer
03-16-2020, 06:34 PM
&&&&&&&&&&&I,ve riding around checking out freshwater places /finding some I never knew existed

shellfish dealers are closed ><><

piemma
03-17-2020, 03:13 AM
That's my plan too my friend.Piece to you and yours.Tight lines...I'm done here.

JohnR thankyou for a great site but its time has come and gone.

I'm tired...goodnight all.

Don't do that. The site is what you make of it. I stay out of the political forum and converse here. This site is still viable.

Rmarsh
03-17-2020, 05:29 AM
If you have watched enough news to see what happened to Italy then you might stop comparing this to the flu. Just saying. Their obituary pages just increased tenfold last week.

I'm not saying people wont die...all lives matter .... I have a 93 year old mom and 100 year old MIL both in nursing homes and at a much greater risk than young people in good health.....but as of today under 100 deaths in the US.

So I'm optimistic about our chances of stopping the spread and developing a vaccine in the near future. I try to not let fear run my life. I'm all for taking precautions.... panicking will not help one make better decisions.

scottw
03-17-2020, 05:55 AM
....but as of today under 100 deaths in the US.

and a large number of those in one state and in one facility....there is no other place in the world I'd rather be in terms of medical treatment

scottw
03-17-2020, 05:56 AM
Don't do that. The site is what you make of it.

right?...he should go start an interesting fishing thread :huh:

The Dad Fisherman
03-17-2020, 06:43 AM
I'm not saying people wont die...all lives matter .... I have a 93 year old mom and 100 year old MIL both in nursing homes and at a much greater risk than young people in good health.....but as of today under 100 deaths in the US.

So I'm optimistic about our chances of stopping the spread and developing a vaccine in the near future. I try to not let fear run my life. I'm all for taking precautions.... panicking will not help one make better decisions.

This^

spence
03-17-2020, 07:38 AM
.....but as of today under 100 deaths in the US.
Just two weeks ago Italy was at 34 deaths...

nightfighter
03-17-2020, 07:46 AM
This^

I think less hanging one's hat on a potential vaccine and more planning for your family unit to emerge five months from now intact physically and fiscally. If it requires anything from quarantine to isolation, how prepared are you? How much cash on hand? Have you gotten the necessary paperwork done in the case you need to withdraw (early?) from a retirement account?

This is how my mind looks at this...

piemma
03-17-2020, 09:58 AM
Just two weeks ago Italy was at 34 deaths...

So what the #^&#^&#^&#^& is your point Jeff? You looking forward to an escalation here in the US. Just go live your life. I posted this before and I will here again. It's what we were taught in combat training:

Don't worry about what you can't control. Just go and control what you can. CYA!!!

The Dad Fisherman
03-17-2020, 10:54 AM
I think less hanging one's hat on a potential vaccine and more planning for your family unit to emerge five months from now intact physically and fiscally. If it requires anything from quarantine to isolation, how prepared are you? How much cash on hand? Have you gotten the necessary paperwork done in the case you need to withdraw (early?) from a retirement account?

This is how my mind looks at this...

I'm good on all fronts

RIROCKHOUND
03-17-2020, 11:01 AM
So what the #^&#^&#^&#^& is your point Jeff? You looking forward to an escalation here in the US. Just go live your life. I posted this before and I will here again. It's what we were taught in combat training:

Don't worry about what you can't control. Just go and control what you can. CYA!!!

Looking forward to and expecting an escalation are two very different things...

spence
03-17-2020, 11:15 AM
I think people should really listen to their state officials and not downplay the threat. The WH is slowly catching up, huge change in tone since Friday.

Sea Dangles
03-17-2020, 11:51 AM
I am enjoying family times during this virus. The oldest boy is in lockdown out in Redwood CA. Tim is home from Manhattan for a while with a temporary office in the dining room. Emily is home with her college work being online and Mikey is in the basement doing his BC high work on zoom. Treasure the people you love.

JohnR
03-17-2020, 12:04 PM

While there have been more than one occasion where Spence is tone deaf ; ) , I don't think he is looking forward to the increase, but he is right to expect it.

I think people should really listen to their state officials and not downplay the threat. The WH is slowly catching up, huge change in tone since Friday.

Having been watching the videos since well before Friday, there has been a fairly steady tone. Depending on where you are watching it may show the difference in tone.

Three weeks ago they closed travel from China and a week ago Europe and he was too soon and racist for doing it or something.

Headhunter
03-17-2020, 03:50 PM
All I know is I now have an excuse to work on my gear for he next three weeks with out interruption. I just might be ready this year!!

Rmarsh
03-17-2020, 04:02 PM
I am enjoying family times during this virus. The oldest boy is in lockdown out in Redwood CA. Tim is home from Manhattan for a while with a temporary office in the dining room. Emily is home with her college work being online and Mikey is in the basement doing his BC high work on zoom. Treasure the people you love.

Great post Chris......getting through lifes challenges as a family is what life is about i think

Rmarsh
03-17-2020, 04:16 PM
Good news....My wife and i have been able to visit our moms in their respective nursing homes via facetime. Technology to the rescue....the vistor ban had me contemplating tapping on the first floor window of her room to get to see her.

Rmarsh
03-18-2020, 05:31 AM
The nursing home staff has been awesome, at first it was just a few nurses taking it upon themselves to use facetime so family members could see and talk to their loved ones. Now they have set up a system to make an appointment for a facetime chat so everyone can participate. It's sad that many of the patients do not understand why family is not visiting. Thank God for the people that care for our elders, especially now!

Guppy
03-18-2020, 05:46 AM

My whole clan lives minutes away, we’re visiting via FaceTime... remarkable times

Bob, those care givers and nurses Rule... :-)

Moses
03-18-2020, 08:22 AM
My company decided early last week to stop all business related travel (us to customers, customers to us). I work in healthcare software so all our customers are healthcare organizations (hospitals, physician clinics, nursing homes, home care, etc..). We also made the decision to have all employees work remotely from their homes (just under 4k employees).

My oldest son is home from college (sophomore) and will be finishing this semester virtually from home.

My youngest son is off from school but expect there will be virtual plans announced soon.

My wife, teacher's aide, is also off from school until further word.

nightfighter
03-18-2020, 09:27 AM
Wife working from home, and is crazy busy as Global travel mgr for a health insurance company. People are just plain stupid. Don't want to follow protocol for getting travel approvals. Or just this morning, she is getting calls from employees in an African nation who want out! And their line managers had pushed to keep them there. Without sounding like an awful human being, we do need some culling of the herd.... the ones who have to much stoopid in their dna
MIL is happy as long as we have somewhat recent Polish newspaper so she can better understand what is going on. My wife's Polish vocabulary is somewhat limited as she came to America at 13 years old, so not always easy to translate. And we are Slinging! Polish TV. But she is 85....
I am good, with the knee. Mobile. Trying to work but probably only at sites where people are in Florida or at a detached garage.
27 yo twins at their mother's house here in town. Son taking time, is very worked up about this whole thing. Daughter has made decision to stay here rather than return to her Miami base as a flight attendant. We will help her with bills and deal with the fallout, if that happens. At least here. she has a caretaker if necessary, and a house they can continue to provision. (Their mother came back from a Utah ski trip a couple days early when she and her husband finally realized the gravity of this pandemic. They have the stoopid gene too.) But both kids have had Lyme so I am happy both are here in town, where I can observe and at least make a difference, if not have them in my house.

rphud
03-18-2020, 10:03 AM
Everything is focused on pushing the spike down to a hump so hospitals are not overwhelmed. I think Italy showed us that. Interesting that the mortality rate in South Korea is way lower than Italy. Might be an age of population thing. Italy is the second oldest country. Second only to Japan.

spence
03-18-2020, 10:54 AM
Interesting that the mortality rate in South Korea is way lower than Italy. Might be an age of population thing.
Age is definitely huge a factor but I think the willingness to change behavior is significant.

Pete F.
03-18-2020, 11:10 AM
There are some theories put forth in Science Magazine.

Thought to have a lot to do with prior experience with MERS, being very proactive, aggressively testing and tracking contacts.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/coronavirus-cases-have-dropped-sharply-south-korea-whats-secret-its-success

spence
03-18-2020, 01:16 PM
While there have been more than one occasion where Spence is tone deaf ; )
Just because you’re in the dark on some things don’t come down on me.

JohnR
03-18-2020, 01:22 PM
Just because you’re in the dark on some things don’t come down on me.

I included the wink while I was defending you, using sarcasm as the vessel. Twas Tongue in Cheek.

Slipknot
03-22-2020, 07:32 PM
Maybe we can't all just get along, we will see.

I borrowed this rant since it is a good one

In the last couple of decades we've had..
Swine flu
Bird flu
H1N1
SARS
Mersa
Ebola

To the hospital administrators who didn't even have enough PPE on hand for their staff to even last a week, F*ck you.
You cheaped it out and left front line people hanging with their ass in the breeze while no doubt scoping out the new model year BMW.
Now you are screaming that the feds should be supplying stuff you should have had on your own in abundance is horse #^&#^&#^&#^&.
I would not expect a hospital to have 50 extra ventilators sitting in storage , but freaking gloves , masks and gowns ?
That's on your dumb ass and no one else's.

To the Governors who were TV this morning crying about Uncle Sugar not moving fast enough (Mostly D's) F*ck you too.
Where the hell have you been?
The same a-holes who scream about the feds staying out of their business want to defer it all to the feds now.
What did you do to prepare for this sort of thing?
Two things from what I can see , both jack and #^&#^&#^&#^&.
I bet some sweet pork money that could have been spent making sure there were strategic supplies in place found it's way into your buddies pockets though , didn't it ?
You wanted that big chair only till things got tough and now it's defer , defer , defer.
The sad part is , they won't learn a damn thing from it and it will be the same thing next time and the time after that.

The biggest F-you goes to the media though.
The panic business is booming.

zimmy
03-22-2020, 08:51 PM
I guess everyone has a different definition of a good rant. It clearly shows a complete ignorance of how the medical field works, what the immediate needs are and the uniqueness of the situation. Every medical facility screwed up? I will leave the rest alone cause this isn't a political forum thread

spence
03-22-2020, 08:55 PM
I guess everyone has a different definition of a good rant. It clearly shows a complete ignorance of how the medical field works, what the immediate needs are and the uniqueness of the situation. Every medical facility screwed up? I will leave the rest alone cause this isn't a political forum thread
Thanks, I was going to say the same thing. I’d mention that many if not most hospitals operate at a loss also.

Slipknot
03-22-2020, 09:46 PM

no it does not say every medical facility screwed up, I'm not sure where you read that from the criticism. It might be a little generalized but there are people out there who feel this way because they see it with their eyes.

pretty sure it was ranting about those in charge being only concerned with the dollar and keeping costs low and their own wallet. I am sure the pressure of insurance costs, the pressure of being sued causing excessive procedures to follow costing more and on and on. One point is to learn from the past and prepare for it to happen again. There just seems to be so many people with their hand out. It is about responsibility, and the need to be prepared for these things. There has to be a better way but right now we all need to work on problem solving because it seems to be getting worse and it's not just the medical field being overwhelmed or the restaurants losing business, but the media sure does put their 2 cents in to sensationalize that is for sure.
Hopefully we will be able to go fishing soon because the bass are showing up in the usual places.

zimmy
03-22-2020, 10:16 PM
no it does not say every medical facility screwed up, I'm not sure where you read that from the criticism.
The shortage is affecting practically every medical facility.I didn't take it that your post said every facility, but it is almost every facility. It isn't limited to facilities where the management cheaped out. They are going through masks, gloves and gowns rapidly and can't get more. Pinning it on the administrators dumb as#$@ is total incendiary nonsense. It is incorrect and it reinforces whatever trash information is flowing in the streams of too many people. Seeing it with their own eyes? I bet my left thumb the person who wrote that isn't seeing it with their own eyes, They are speculating based on bs that they get from loudmouths who consider themselves outside the inflammatory media. That schtuff helps no one in no way.

JohnR
03-23-2020, 07:25 AM
The medical facilities (and just about everyone) got too comfortable in ordering in Just In Time and a never ending supply chain.

Someone I know with a small Med practice had a month's supply on hand - should be enough, no? It wasn't. First the panic and real overseas stopped anything from coming in (China took products from US manufactures made there) and panic here striped the shelves.

We need to do better. Fortunately stateside manufacturers are ramping up.

We - All Of Us - Need to do a better job of being kind and understanding with each other. And stay the ()@*#$ indoors.

wdmso
03-23-2020, 07:44 AM
Thought this was spot on

The majority of people providing food service , gas , trashpick up , take out are in large the min wage wage workers who in this crisis are taking care of the people who dont think they deserve 15. Bucks an hour ,, ironic

But medical staff or 1st responder are not seeing no such bonus. Not sure why

chris L
03-23-2020, 01:56 PM
I am still working until I am not . From What I am told I am in for the duration . Salary sucks in times like this but I am working .

I wash myself regurlarly .

ProfessorM
03-23-2020, 04:15 PM
Poor planning by some slow reaction by others. I’m stuck working if I want to get paid under the guise of defense manufacturing which we do but not essential in my opinion. Boss is choosing money over our safety and the possibility of infecting others. If I was doing something to help the cause I’d be honored but we are not. Foolishness. I’ll give it a few days if the numbers grow I’m out of there.

Sea Dangles
03-23-2020, 04:37 PM
Be safe Paul

Guppy
03-23-2020, 05:54 PM
Poor planning by some slow reaction by others. I’m stuck working if I want to get paid under the guise of defense manufacturing which we do but not essential in my opinion. Boss is choosing money over our safety and the possibility of infecting others. If I was doing something to help the cause I’d be honored but we are not. Foolishness. I’ll give it a few days if the numbers grow I’m out of there.
Stay home ! Build plugs and be healthy.... word

redlite
03-23-2020, 06:26 PM
Just become a farmer. U my friend are very good at it and helping my household stay on an even keel through this. Thank you isn't enough

Clammer
03-23-2020, 10:09 PM
PM don,t become a fisherman :fishin:

Rmarsh
03-24-2020, 04:44 AM
Yesterday I set up to finish a kichen install no one else on the job. Then a truck pulls up and two tile installers come in...within a few minutes i hear one of them sneezing and sniffling....and then see him grab a broom i had there. I was getting pissed off....and was ready to tell them so....
then another...obviosly uncovered sneeze. Thats when i decided to pack my tools and go.
I have plenty of work to do back at my shop...where i will be for the next week....alone.

JohnR
03-24-2020, 07:28 AM
This is exploding. If we continue to practice Social Distancing (actually *#$$##$ing doing it not talking about it) we will be able to retard and mitigate the spread. New York, the most densely packed population in the US, currently has 2600 people in the Hospitals with Covid19. On growth of virus NY would be the third highest if just a country.

The amount of confirmed cases in the US jumped by 25% yesterday (much a result of improved testing)

This is not the normal flu.

Yesterday I set up to finish a kichen install no one else on the job. Then a truck pulls up and two tile installers come in...within a few minutes i hear one of them sneezing and sniffling....and then see him grab a broom i had there. I was getting pissed off....and was ready to tell them so....
then another...obviosly uncovered sneeze. Thats when i decided to pack my tools and go.
I have plenty of work to do back at my shop...where i will be for the next week....alone.

Good call.

rphud
03-24-2020, 08:58 AM
Sneezing and sniffling are not Covid-19 symptoms, but a good idea to leave those folks in dust anyways. Fever and dry cough only they say.

NYT has time/ramp up charts today. Looks like Spain is accelerating faster than Italy did. It will be interesting to see if US starts to taper off soon.

NYT site is available now for free with just an account set up. I was getting pretty tired of CNN lately.

Sea Dangles
03-24-2020, 09:14 AM
Sneezing and sniffling are not Covid-19 symptoms, but a good idea to leave those folks in dust anyways. Fever and dry cough only they say.

NYT has time/ramp up charts today. Looks like Spain is accelerating faster than Italy did. It will be interesting to see if US starts to taper off soon.

NYT site is available now for free with just an account set up. I was getting pretty tired of CNN lately.
Taper off?

Rmarsh
03-24-2020, 09:17 AM
Your right ....not a symptom....but a way to infect others if they do have it.

Jimbo
03-24-2020, 10:02 AM
"...practice Social Distancing (actually *#$$##$ing doing it not talking about it)". Spot on, John! Those who aren't are uninformed or somehow think it won't affect them. We're in Central NJ, 50 miles or so from the epicenter and it boggles the mind. I do a lot of walking and see moms yapping and their kids on the playground equipment, at the local high school there were 4 half court pickup basketball games and groups of kids on the football field doing who knows what. The topper was Saturday when a neighbor organized a get out of the house gathering in the cul de sac we live on. 20 or so parents, kids and dogs hugging, shaking hands, close order not distancing...right at the end of my driveway.
I wish I could packup my wife and myself and the dogs and head up to my dad's on the Cape and distance myself by going clamming like some of you guys, but as soon as I leave NJ I don't have healthcare. A little too risky.
Like John said, practice Social Distancing (actually *#$$##$ing doing it not talking about it), and be smart.

Got Stripers
03-24-2020, 11:36 AM
Those that have it but aren’t symptomatic and just walking around like nothing is going on are selfish arrogant little turds.

rphud
03-24-2020, 12:10 PM
looking and hoping for that "inflection point" I suppose, sooner is preferred

Slipknot
03-24-2020, 12:23 PM
"
I wish I could packup my wife and myself and the dogs and head up to my dad's on the Cape and distance myself by going clamming like some of you guys, but as soon as I leave NJ I don't have healthcare. A little too risky.
Like John said, practice Social Distancing (actually *#$$##$ing doing it not talking about it), and be smart.

Well many out of staters are doing just that, coming to the Cape to their second homes like an invasion and bringing their germs with them, so. Just stay home to yourselves Jim. You are better off

Slipknot
03-24-2020, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure this is good information or mis-information but thought I would post it here.
CoronaVirus, how to avoid getting it. Some of this is new to me.

From a young researcher who had been transferred from Shenzhen to Wuhan to collaborate with the task force that is fighting the coronavirus epidemic, we receive and willingly transmit to all of this clear, simple and accessible information, which describe exactly what it is: the virus, how it transfers from one person to another and how it can be neutralized in everyday life.

Corona virus infection does not cause a cold with a dripping nose or catarrhal cough, but a dry and dry cough: this is the easiest thing to know.

The virus does not resist heat and dies if exposed to temperatures of 26-27 degrees {that's 78-80 in F}: therefore often consume hot drinks such as tea, herbal tea and broth during the day, or simply hot water: hot liquids neutralize the virus and it is not difficult to drink them. Avoid drinking ice water or eating ice cubes or snow for those in the mountains (children)!
For those who can do it, expose yourself to the sun!

1. The virus crown is quite large (diameter about 400-500 nanometers), therefore any type of mask can stop it: in normal life, special masks are not needed.
On the other hand, the situation is different for doctors and health professionals who are exposed to heavy virus loads and have to use special equipment.
If an infected person sneezes in front of you, three meters away they will drop the virus on the ground and prevent it from landing on you.

2. When the virus is found on metal surfaces, it survives for about 12 hours. So when you touch metal surfaces such as handles, doors, appliances, supports on trams, etc., wash your hands well and disinfect them carefully.

3. The virus can live nested in clothes and fabrics for about 6/12 hours: normal detergents can kill it. For clothes that cannot be washed every day, if you can expose them to the sun and the virus will die.

How it manifests itself:
1. The virus first installs itself in the throat, causing inflammation and a dry throat sensation: this symptom can last for 3/4 days.

2. the virus travels through the humidity present in the airways, descends into the trachea and installs in the lung, causing pneumonia. This step takes about 5/6 days.

3. Pneumonia occurs with high fever and difficulty breathing, it is not accompanied by the classic cold. But you may have the feeling of drowning. In this case, contact your doctor immediately.

How can you avoid it:
1. Virus transmission occurs mostly by direct contact, touching tissues or materials on which the virus is present: washing hands frequently is essential.
The virus only survives on your hands for about ten minutes, but in ten minutes many things can happen: rub your eyes or scratch your nose for example, and allow the virus to enter your throat ...
So, for your own good and for the good of others, wash your hands very often and disinfect them!

2. You can gargle with a disinfectant solution that eliminates or minimizes the amount of virus that could enter your throat: in doing so, you eliminate it before it goes down into the trachea and then into the lungs.

3. disinfect the PC keyboard and mobile phones
The new coronavirus NCP * may not show signs of infection for many days, * before which it cannot be known if a person is infected. But by the time you have a fever and / or cough and go to the hospital, your lungs are usually already in 50% fibrosis and it's too late!

Taiwanese experts suggest doing a simple check that we can do on our own every morning:
Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you successfully complete it without coughing, without discomfort, a sense of oppression, etc., this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating essentially no infection.
In such critical times, do this check every morning in a clean air environment!

These are serious and excellent advice from Japanese doctors who treat COVID-19 cases. Everyone should make sure that their mouth and throat are moist, never DRY. Drink a few sips of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even if the virus gets into your mouth ... water or other liquids will sweep it away through the esophagus and into the stomach. Once in the belly ... Gastric acid in the stomach will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly ... the virus can get into your lungs. It is very dangerous.

zimmy
03-24-2020, 01:07 PM
I will take the time to read the list, but one of the first things that stood out is that the internal body temp of humans is 20-30 deg. F higher than the temp it supposedly can't survive. Drinking warm beverages may raise your body temp briefly and slightly by a degree or two, but it is already well above those temps so that particularly advice seems very suspect

JohnR
03-24-2020, 01:32 PM
I will take the time to read the list, but one of the first things that stood out is that the internal body temp of humans is 20-30 deg. F higher than the temp it supposedly can't survive. Drinking warm beverages may raise your body temp briefly and slightly by a degree or two, but it is already well above those temps so that particularly advice seems very suspect

Agree.

The Dad Fisherman
03-24-2020, 01:34 PM
Sadly, it's fake news

RickBomba
03-24-2020, 02:48 PM
Help your friends.
Wash your hands.
Stay the hell away from anyone over 70.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Slipknot
03-24-2020, 04:52 PM
That sounded confusing to me too but maybe they are referring to if the virus is in your throat and to keep your throat moist so it does not travel to your lungs??? I don’t know , and then the hot liquid can destroy it. As I understand it is very fragile outside the body yet it is extremely contagious and a virus’s only purpose is to reproduce itself. Or something like that. Maybe it is bull crap from China who knows

Nebe
03-24-2020, 05:06 PM
I needed to go to Home Depot today for something. Man oh man. You wouldn’t believe how crowded that place was. And the roads are full of cars like nothing is going on... had I not known that there was a pandemic going on i would have had no idea

PaulS
03-24-2020, 05:17 PM
I also went to Home Depot today and walked out because they had only 2 cash registers open and everybody in line was standing about three feet behind the person in front of them. I drove about 10 miles to a Lowe's and there were a lot fewer people in the store and they had more cash registers open. I did not get within 10 feet of anyone at Lowe's

Sea Dangles
03-24-2020, 06:13 PM
Be careful guys,act like everybody is infected. A trip to the store should be made only for essentials.

spence
03-24-2020, 07:26 PM
Taper off?
He meant by Easter, Trump has dropped the gauntlet.

Rockfish9
03-24-2020, 07:56 PM
Right with ya Paul, we make knees,hips and tibia bones, as well as trauma repair patches, no one is getting elective surgery .. all the big shots are home giving orders and crying about their bottom line..the could give a rat's XXX if any of us got sick..

Bruce..could not agree more...and we all are paying for it.

Got Stripers
03-25-2020, 06:23 AM
My son finally got a day off from his Boston ems medic duties and since he and his new bride were getting low on TP he decided to finally drive down to Plymouth to search for some and pick up the rods I refinished for him. Just strange, no hugs, no kisses, no hand shakes and since it was sunny and sort of warm, we stood ten feet apart to chit chat and catch up. He is thankful for the warmer weather, because they gown up each call and if it was winter weather, the gown won’t go over the heavy coats, so it’s not freezing on top of dangerous. One of his fellow workers has been tested positive and supplies are running low, I can’t wait for this peak to come and life can at least start to get back to normal.

Sea Dangles
03-25-2020, 07:39 AM
He meant by Easter, Trump has dropped the gauntlet.

Oh Jeff, he is being hopeful.
Give it a rest. Your contributions used to have merit. Don’t become Bitchslappedboy or the little scared bunny.

spence
03-25-2020, 07:42 AM
Oh Jeff, he is being hopeful.
Give it a rest. Your contributions used to have merit. Don’t become Bitchslappedboy or the little scared bunny.
He’s not being hopeful he’s melting down. Now he’s talking mass suicides, Trump needs to step aside for the good of the country.

JohnR
03-25-2020, 08:04 AM
My son finally got a day off from his Boston ems medic duties and since he and his new bride were getting low on TP he decided to finally drive down to Plymouth to search for some and pick up the rods I refinished for him. Just strange, no hugs, no kisses, no hand shakes and since it was sunny and sort of warm, we stood ten feet apart to chit chat and catch up. He is thankful for the warmer weather, because they gown up each call and if it was winter weather, the gown won’t go over the heavy coats, so it’s not freezing on top of dangerous. One of his fellow workers has been tested positive and supplies are running low, I can’t wait for this peak to come and life can at least start to get back to normal.

Good job!

He’s not being hopeful he’s melting down. Now he’s talking mass suicides, Trump needs to step aside for the good of the country.

He is being his usual rambling self. And in bad economic times a lot of people across all income levels commit suicide for financial reasons / failure.

nightfighter
03-25-2020, 08:12 AM
Right with ya Paul, we make knees,hips and tibia bones, as well as trauma repair patches, no one is getting elective surgery .. all the big shots are home giving orders and crying about their bottom line..the could give a rat's XXX if any of us got sick..

Bruce..could not agree more...and we all are paying for it.

No one and nothing will work if the health issues aren't fixed... His wishful thinking of an Easter All Clear is a long shot, IMO. As much as Trump will want to ramp up the economy, I think/hope/pray he defers to the scientific and medical experts he has been able to assemble. Sustaining the frontline health workers is the critical battle.

Who do you work for, Joe? I have a Zimmer Biomet knee.

Sea Dangles
03-25-2020, 08:18 AM

Good thinking Jeff

Then Pence can simply hold the sign up and we will get better

spence
03-25-2020, 08:34 AM
He is being his usual rambling self. And in bad economic times a lot of people across all income levels commit suicide for financial reasons / failure.
This isn’t just rambling, it’s disturbed like he’s projecting his own despair.

JFigliuolo
03-25-2020, 08:54 AM
This isn’t just rambling, it’s disturbed like he’s projecting his own despair.

Sadly, I agree with the trump haters. Trumps handling of this has been a disaster.

piemma
03-25-2020, 09:07 AM
Sadly, I agree with the trump haters. Trumps handling of this has been a disaster.

Joe, don't totally disagree but what the #^&#^&#^&#^& good does it do to diss the guy. I truly believe he is trying his best. This is uncharted territory and no one really knows what the right thing is to say. JMO

scottw
03-25-2020, 09:08 AM
times like these are when America is at it's best....

piemma
03-25-2020, 09:23 AM
times like these are when America is at it's best....
True Scott, God Bless America.

Sea Dangles
03-25-2020, 09:28 AM
Too bad it brings out the worst in some also.
I understand criticism but now is when unity is needed and naysayers should restrain from beating the drum. Positive vibes folks. They help.

PaulS
03-25-2020, 10:02 AM
I understand criticism but now is when unity is needed and naysayers should restrain from beating the drum. Positive vibes folks. They help.

And yet you spend all day, every day insulting people in the political forum w/o adding anything.

Sea Dangles
03-25-2020, 10:12 AM
And yet you spend all day, every day insulting people in the political forum w/o adding anything.

I am trying to inspire and it’s working. Let’s keep the momentum going.

clambo
03-25-2020, 10:40 AM
My wife is an ER nurse for the past 42 yrs and is on the front lines in this pandemic. At this time she is in the lower level of our home on a tele conference getting updated.The staff does not make stocking decisions. Most business since the 80's have not carried the stock they used to carry.
What should be alarming to all is the number of disaster drills that have happened since 911 and no one in charge thought we would need to stockpile medical protective gear,or get gear that could be cleaned and reused.I worked in the ER 45 yrs ago and we used to autoclave(steam) many instruments we would reuse. We have come to rely on other countries to make the things we need. Corporations have moved production overseas to lower costs and what do we make here now?
As far as Covid 19 goes Do not touch your eyes,nose,mouth, without washing your hands. If you can't not touch your face use the back of your hand! The virus does not run around on your skin! The number of people who get sick that die is small. Be safe, wash hands often!

redlite
03-25-2020, 03:06 PM
My wife is chief nurse practitioner at large medical facility. She oversees 500-600 nurse practitioners and physicians assistants. Most primary care and outpatient facility but she in walk in urgent care which is usually busier than the er. They just furloughed all nps and pas. So sucks for us financially as she the earner but I am kinda glad as one less stress factor in our lives as reduces her exposure chances and chance of her brining it home to us.
They had someone come in the other day that was sent for testing. Angers me why these idiots would even consider letting someone with symptoms in their building as they are not equipped to deal with it in the first place. We are still holding our breath on test results.

spence
03-25-2020, 03:53 PM
Joe, don't totally disagree but what the #^&#^&#^&#^& good does it do to diss the guy. I truly believe he is trying his best. This is uncharted territory and no one really knows what the right thing is to say. JMO
Because he’s not being honest, if this is his best get someone else in there that can at least be frank with the American people.

JohnR
03-25-2020, 04:39 PM
My wife is an ER nurse for the past 42 yrs and is on the front lines in this pandemic. At this time she is in the lower level of our home on a tele conference getting updated.The staff does not make stocking decisions. Most business since the 80's have not carried the stock they used to carry.
What should be alarming to all is the number of disaster drills that have happened since 911 and no one in charge thought we would need to stockpile medical protective gear,or get gear that could be cleaned and reused.I worked in the ER 45 yrs ago and we used to autoclave(steam) many instruments we would reuse. We have come to rely on other countries to make the things we need. Corporations have moved production overseas to lower costs and what do we make here now?

Bingo

My wife is chief nurse practitioner at large medical facility. She oversees 500-600 nurse practitioners and physicians assistants. Most primary care and outpatient facility but she in walk in urgent care which is usually busier than the er. They just furloughed all nps and pas. So sucks for us financially as she the earner but I am kinda glad as one less stress factor in our lives as reduces her exposure chances and chance of her brining it home to us.
They had someone come in the other day that was sent for testing. Angers me why these idiots would even consider letting someone with symptoms in their building as they are not equipped to deal with it in the first place. We are still holding our breath on test results.

Damn. Sorry dude. But all elective stuff is shut down.

Guy in my office, his grandfather has C19. Doing OK at the moment.

fishgolf
03-25-2020, 04:45 PM
My wife is an RN also. Doing the best she can to avoid contamination while at work. Sometimes feels like a crap shoot when she comes home, as everyday is a new risk event.

To Trump/Easter commentary. He indicated that he "hoped" we could get the country going again. It was not a "line in the sand" as some journalists have written. And that CNN/Cuomo guy seems to be losing it. The NY Cuomo guy is pretty good and makes sense with his available information.

Anyway, time will tell and hopefully, we'll all pull through with our health.
If anyone is in need of assistance for any reason, I would be happy to help. I check this site just about daily, if not more (what else is there to do :) )

Got Stripers
03-25-2020, 05:04 PM
Can’t imagine having to endure this back in my day with my three boys home for months and trying to keep them engaged in school and from not killing each other. Good luck to those large families with school kids at home, what a challenge this must be.

Nebe
03-25-2020, 05:51 PM
Trump is more worried about his re-election campaign than the current situation. He would rather have people go back to work and see people die than to see further economic troubles. What a monster

Sea Dangles
03-25-2020, 06:28 PM
🧟#^&♂️

ProfessorM
03-25-2020, 07:16 PM
Just become a farmer. U my friend are very good at it and helping my household stay on an even keel through this. Thank you isn't enough

Haha. Glad I could keep you on an even keel.

Nebe
03-25-2020, 08:46 PM
🧟#^&♂️

Maybe you will have to get a job? :hihi:

Sea Dangles
03-25-2020, 10:12 PM
Maybe you will have to get a job? :hihi:

How else will I afford gas for the new boat?🤑

piemma
03-26-2020, 05:10 AM

Well stated Chris.

nightfighter
03-26-2020, 08:06 AM
This post is just my observation, as I am not a medical/health professional;

Opening my eyes to greet the day... and I think !@#$, it's not a dream. This chit is real. Thankful I can get from horizontal to sitting up as quickly as I can. (That was a chore during past year recovering from knee replacement) Count moving body parts and take a deep breath.

So how do I feel? Within fifteen minutes I have a scratchy feeling I need to clear from my throat... Allergies! Take a Claritin and am good to go in 15 minutes. So consider the early blooms causing some early allergy reactions in your home before jumping to the conclusion that you are going to be positive for Covid-19.

I wish you all good health to you and your families...

(and in case you forgot, I am a year ahead of you all for missing weekly income checks... we will get through this)

Got Stripers
03-26-2020, 08:10 AM
I think there is a place for both and we are lucky to have free speech, change in this country has always taken place in some of the toughest times and no doubt (hopefully) there will be lessons learned from this. Hard not to be critical when I see pictures of NY nurses in garbage bags due to the shortage of gowns and Cuomo ripped this administration yesterday and rightfully so. We check on our neighbors, we have shopped and brought food to our friend with stage four cancer, I’ve shared frozen fish with several friends and we encourage our kids and their friends to be smart. Hope everyone in this community and their extended family and friends are safe, doesn’t mean I won’t butt heads in the political forum.

afterhours
03-26-2020, 08:14 AM
Be careful guys,act like everybody is infected. A trip to the store should be made only for essentials.

This.

Rockfish9
03-26-2020, 08:32 AM
This post is just my observation, as I am not a medical/health professional;

Opening my eyes to greet the day... and I think !@#$, it's not a dream. This chit is real. Thankful I can get from horizontal to sitting up as quickly as I can. (That was a chore during past year recovering from knee replacement) Count moving body parts and take a deep breath.

So how do I feel? Within fifteen minutes I have a scratchy feeling I need to clear from my throat... Allergies! Take a Claritin and am good to go in 15 minutes. So consider the early blooms causing some early allergy reactions in your home before jumping to the conclusion that you are going to be positive for Covid-19.

I wish you all good health to you and your families...

(and in case you forgot, I am a year ahead of you all for missing weekly income checks... we will get through this)

very on point Ross.. each individual knows their own body better than anyone else... if people just stop and think before going into panic mode we all will get through this...My plant is still in full production for knees, hips and assorted bone repair plates as well as trauma (skull) patches... 3 shifts 24 hours a day...all dorrs ( except rest rooms) are propped open, all entrance doors and countrs light switches etc are wiped down every 2 hours... life is different but we are still working...

Rmarsh
03-27-2020, 08:58 AM
A reliable source has told me that many NY plates have been seen in Westport... where there are a lot of summer homes owned by wealthy, out of state people. My concern is that they are not self quarantining as directed. Not unusual for rich folks to regard the rules to be for just the commoners.

spence
03-27-2020, 09:00 AM
A reliable source has told me that many NY plates have been seen in Westport... where there are a lot of summer homes owned by wealthy, out of state people. My concern is that they are not self quarantining as directed. Not unusual for rich folks to regard the rules to be for just the commoners.
Hearing this complaint from every neighborhood from Watch Hill to Chatham.

Sea Dangles
03-27-2020, 09:43 AM
I would much rather quarantine on the water. NYC is not where you want to be. Someday soon I will spend all my time in Westport!

nightfighter
03-27-2020, 10:45 AM

I have been called to look at an outdoor job. Nothing major. Some deck and lattice work. Design and build something where a weed has grown into a maple tree. And now the trunk is damaging latticework... Fine. Show up and find the owners coming out on the deck! They are NYC residents and have been here since March 15... We kept our distance and I left after taking some photos... Not putting that in my immediate schedule.

Rmarsh
03-27-2020, 11:05 AM
I would much rather quarantine on the water. NYC is not where you want to be. Someday soon I will spend all my time in Westport!

Yes....good place to get away to.......but they are getting their groceries at the only market in town.....and gasoline

I live in a neighboring town...but spend most of my waking time in Westport....love it. Working from home for another week...at least.
My wife works in a nursing home and her 100 year old mother is a resident with breathing problems...i cant take any chances and be the one to transmit to my wife.

Rmarsh
03-27-2020, 11:12 AM
I have been called to look at an outdoor job. Nothing major. Some deck and lattice work. Design and build something where a weed has grown into a maple tree. And now the trunk is damaging latticework... Fine. Show up and find the owners coming out on the deck! They are NYC residents and have been here since March 15... We kept our distance and I left after taking some photos... Not putting that in my immediate schedule.

My brother in law has a civil engineering business in town
works on a lot of these exclusive properties....got a call last week to meet with a guy who just got into town from NY, pretending like there was nothing going on.
Also just learned about a report saying ibubropen use has been a common factor in many of the fatal cases.

ProfessorM
03-27-2020, 11:32 AM
Signs on cape say if your from NY you need to self quarantine for 14 days. I guess anyone from out of state needs to now

JohnR
03-27-2020, 12:27 PM
RI is limiting NY hard. Sucks but it is fair. Must restrain the growth of this.

Trump is more worried about his re-election campaign than the current situation. He would rather have people go back to work and see people die than to see further economic troubles. What a monster

Everyone is more worried about slamming Trump than trying to work through the problem. Both sides own this - good and bad.

Nebe
03-27-2020, 07:39 PM
RI is limiting NY hard. Sucks but it is fair. Must restrain the growth of this.

Everyone is more worried about slamming Trump than trying to work through the problem. Both sides own this - good and bad.

No john. Both sides do not own this. You have a sociopath in office that thinks this is all a hoax and wants this country to go on like nothing happens by Easter. SOCIOPATH.

spence
03-27-2020, 07:53 PM
No john. Both sides do not own this. You have a sociopath in office that thinks this is all a hoax and wants this country to go on like nothing happens by Easter. SOCIOPATH.
Or he doesn’t, and then he does, then he doesn’t again. Trump is only as good as the last conversation he has had. Imagine being a state governor trying to lead and you don’t know day by day if it’s all a media plot, a war, fake news, the biggest deal ever nobody could have ever imagined, the states fault and you’re a terrible governor etc...

He’s all over the map, constantly looking for someone to blame and completely out of his league. He went in 24 hours from the cure being worse than the disease to potentially nationalizing much of the commercial aerospace industry, bragging about signing the biggest spending bill in US history and claiming the people have plenty of money to spend on bailouts because we’re a big country.

I hate to say this but I actually wish he’d just go play golf for the next 4 months.

albythereforyou
03-27-2020, 07:58 PM
well....

great year to open an art gallery here on the cape...

closed my wife's private school, and now she is collecting unemployment... first time in either of our lives we have had to do that. if i could collect unemployment i would. closed all the fishing shows/ boat shows/ art shows/ closed my gallery. the only thing left is my website, and I'm sure they will find a way to close that as well (they will probably shut down the post office but allow amazon to keep delivering cause ya know, they are essential, like the 233 lawn guys I see every morning)

while you guys argue about who's fault it is, myself and every other retail shop/ small business/ and restaurant here on cape cod are pretty much done for. won't surprise me if I have to close the gallery before we even really get started.

and oh...my wife and I still have NY plates on the cars. probably should switch those over to MA before we get lynched. seriously. i might get out a yankees hat and start ww3 ;)

Sea Dangles
03-27-2020, 08:18 PM
Sorry to hear this,keep the chin up and hope for a strong recovery.
Lots of folks in your boat all of the sudden. Here is hoping for better days.

Nebe
03-27-2020, 09:54 PM
well....

great year to open an art gallery here on the cape...

closed my wife's private school, and now she is collecting unemployment... first time in either of our lives we have had to do that. if i could collect unemployment i would. closed all the fishing shows/ boat shows/ art shows/ closed my gallery. the only thing left is my website, and I'm sure they will find a way to close that as well (they will probably shut down the post office but allow amazon to keep delivering cause ya know, they are essential, like the 233 lawn guys I see every morning)

while you guys argue about who's fault it is, myself and every other retail shop/ small business/ and restaurant here on cape cod are pretty much done for. won't surprise me if I have to close the gallery before we even really get started.

and oh...my wife and I still have NY plates on the cars. probably should switch those over to MA before we get lynched. seriously. i might get out a yankees hat and start ww3 ;)

Hey man, I fell you. I too run an art gallery. I elected to close our doors almost 2 weeks ago and as a result have had very little business. I’m taking this time to address some stuff that I have been too busy to touch in a couple years since I opened this new gallery. Mainly honing in some tooling in my studio and doing a lot of organizing. With every crisis there is opportunity if you know where to look for it.
That said, if you want some glass for your gallery for the summer I would be willing to provide you some.
Lastly, I am looking at this crisis as a pause, not a reset button. NYC is forecast to peak in its infection rates in 2 weeks and then go down. I have a hunch that by mid to late may the dust will mostly have settled. By July people will be out and ready to get back to living life. That’s when my gallery gets busy anyway... this time of year is always slow.

Clammer
03-27-2020, 10:20 PM
&&&&&&& the local ice cream shop is open for business & business is booming > all of their business is take out .havn,t lost a step & to my limited knowledge they havn,t broken a law >>:sled:

BMEUPSCOTTY
03-30-2020, 11:26 AM
Yes....good place to get away to.......but they are getting their groceries at the only market in town.....and gasoline

I live in a neighboring town...but spend most of my waking time in Westport....love it. Working from home for another week...at least.
My wife works in a nursing home and her 100 year old mother is a resident with breathing problems...i cant take any chances and be the one to transmit to my wife.

A Lees employee tested positive.

Rmarsh
03-30-2020, 03:15 PM
A Lees employee tested positive.

yup...heard that on the local radio station this morning.

I just got a call from my boss asking me to make some plexiglass shields to protect cashiers at the gas station/convenience stores they own.

bloocrab
04-08-2020, 06:05 AM
Hearing that over 1.4 million people have tested positive (world-wide)
301K have recovered
And 82K have died (R.I.P.)

Covid in the USA (In about 3.5 months-since 01/20)
Total cases: 374,329
Total deaths: 12,064

CDC estimates that the 2018–2019 (U.S.A.) Flu season had an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, and 34,200 deaths

We have a tough month ahead in regards to numbers, I'm fearing that 'case to death ratio'. Praying they make some serious developments in treatment. Hope you're all staying safe.

Rmarsh
04-08-2020, 06:20 AM
Just received an e-mail from the nursing home where my mom is a resident that they have a confirmed positive case of COVID 19 and have isolated that individual.