View Full Version : Wicked Swells

Bill L
09-06-2003, 01:40 PM
Took a look-see out of the Harbor of Refuge this morning after scrounging up a few schoolies in the pond

Awsewome sight with BIG, rolling swells inside and out. Swells coming inside the Harbor were breaking just outside the short wall, and the white water coming over the East and Center walls was spectacular. A little chop with the wind, didn't stick around long :err:

Looks like the surfers are out of the woodwork :nailem:

09-06-2003, 06:21 PM
The seas / swells were not a problem at all coming out of Harbor of Refuge, actually conditions on the water this am from Green Hill to PJ were very good and very productive. The trick is stay away from the shoreline, some of the swells are breaking into waves a couple hundred yards off the beaches.....

Bill L
09-06-2003, 08:27 PM
179, you're right that while the swells were big, the going wasn't that bad ---- I was in a 15-footer though, and saw enough. If I saw any birds working, I probably would have gone out :smash:

The waves weren't breaking outside the breachway on my way out, but coming back in there was enough white water to make me nervous, but it was to the east side and not a problem along the west wall

Clammer
09-06-2003, 09:08 PM
I was down there yesterday// from the light to the west=to c/b=========marked very little bait & one school of albie
yet go around the corner & head north its a whole different story ////////////////:D

StriperFreak
09-07-2003, 09:06 AM
Very very nice day off MV, we fished the middle ground for about 4 hours lots of fluke, than live lined some scup but the blues would chomp them in hafe ouch :smash: ouch but you could see when we went into cutty huge swells well of nomans and squibby, squibby was fine but if you went of any further there was sum big swells.

MakoMike
09-08-2003, 07:10 AM
I went through the west gap late friday with no problem. Though the sight of all that white water coming over the apex did give my stomach a flutter or two until I got to the gap and saw that it was fine.

Mr. Sandman
09-08-2003, 07:15 AM
I fished wasque from the boat on sat morn...there were pretty sizeable big breakers 10'er's on either side of the muskeget channel but the chop was only 2' in 17mph wind. But it was quite swelly off shore. I made a few passes dragging wire in that wash looking for a big bass (I was not about to drift in there) but only got a few bluefish. Once you rounded poge on the way back it was pretty calm. Sunday fished vineyard sound for seabass and fluke while looking for breaking fish....only scored with some bottom fish. It was a beautiful day on the water yesterday....wind sw.
Took the kids to the beach sat afternoon....on the high tide the ocean actually broke thru to katama bay...not bad but it washed out the buggy road and the sheriff was there and he closed down the connection between chappy and edgartown. I was one of the last few vehicles to pass thru before he closed it and it was a little exciting...the Yukon saw some salt water during the washout but no real problems...due for a good undercarrage car-wash now. A couple guys saw me go thru and decided not to go and turned around, there was quite a bit of spray...more then I thought but got thru no problem...Not a place to take an escalde....

Van
09-08-2003, 07:44 AM
But here in Boston, there were barley any swells.
Some on Saturday, maybe 2-3 footers, then just for a little while 1st thing yesterday and at that they were only 2 footers and real far apart.
Then it just kept getting calmer and calmer. We could see fish finning on top, it was like a farm pond out there.

Mr. Sandman
09-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Well in this storm there are already some big swells here. I was out today for a while and there are 8' swells and it is building. The surfers are lined up at squibby. I took the boat out of the marina and moved it into the salt pond at my mooring...tossed on an extra line and threw over the anchor as backup. It does not look that bad, I hope to go fishing on the weekend.

UserRemoved1
09-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Looked pretty wild outside of the sw corner of Robinsons this afternoon! Was cool watchin the waves beat the beach. :eek:

nor-easter
09-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Hey Salty
Did ya toss any of your wood onto that mussell bed just inside the Western Point?
That place always holds Bass when the seas are harsh, and they be harsh right now, for sure!

We laid into em to the West of there about four miles or so but on Wire. Best not to get into to shallow water with the seas building like the are.

Duke41
09-17-2003, 09:50 PM
You all sound too cocky to me. It does not take long to get into major trouble out there. How many of these swells could you take broadside before you were screwed. Try putting your life jacket on while your buddy drives the boat in circles. Stay humble and stay alive. My 35 years of 2 cents.

UserRemoved1
09-18-2003, 05:18 AM
Duke if you're ever on my boat you'll find that I am one of the safest boaters on the water. I have a good boat, am a responsible captain, and havebackups of everything on board. Everyone on board is required to wear SOSpenders, and under 12 wears a type 1 offshore vest. I have a full complement of electronics etc, know how to use them and not afraid to use them. I know what the boat can do and know MY limits....neither of which I was even remotely close to yesterday in the 100+ miles I put on the water. I have more time on the water in a month than most guys do in several years.

UserRemoved1
09-18-2003, 05:20 AM
I didn't stick around there too much Chet, was looking more for topwater fish which there was none of. I was contemplating running out to Cuttyhunk but decided to cut my losses and head back up to Bbay, and found fish up there.

Originally posted by nor-easter
Hey Salty
Did ya toss any of your wood onto that mussell bed just inside the Western Point?
That place always holds Bass when the seas are harsh, and they be harsh right now, for sure!

We laid into em to the West of there about four miles or so but on Wire. Best not to get into to shallow water with the seas building like the are.

Van
09-18-2003, 06:52 AM
What are the chances that this will lie down by Saturday?
I want to put back in early and go post hurricane fishin !