View Full Version : Got Any Good Piping Plover Recipes To Share?

fishweewee
09-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Here's a favorite of mine that I've posted many times.

This is a tasty and filling treat. Serve with a nice chianti and some fava beans.

DEEP DISH PIPING PLOVER POT PIE

2 ¼ cups plover broth, defatted
3 cups cooked and chopped plover breast (that's a LOT of plovers, so kill a whole nest!)

½ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped onions
2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoon cornstarch
1 ¾ cups evaporated skim milk
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
¼ cup snipped fresh parsley
½ teaspoon dried sage
3 sheets fat-free phyllo dough

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a saucepan, combine 2 cups of the broth, the celery, onions, and carrots. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer roughly 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

In a large measuring cup, stir together the remaining ¼ of broth and the cornstarch until smooth. Slowly stir the cornstarch mixture into the broth-vegetable mixture. Then stir in the milk.

Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Then stir in the plover meat, peas, parsley, and sage. Transfer the mixture to a shallow 2 quart casserole.

Lay one sheet of the phyllo dough on top of the plover mixture you just created. Spray the dough with no-stick spray. Repeat layering and spraying the phyllo two more times. Fold or crumple the edges of the dough and tuck them inside the casserole dish.

Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Enjoy.

Adapted from a chicken recipe in “Healthy Homestyle Cooking” by Evelyn Tribole. Rodale Press, 1994. Chicken, plover, what the hell is the difference?

Karl F
09-07-2003, 08:07 PM
:D

Don't have one of my own, but a friend of mine says the best way to make scrambled plover eggs is to get 4 plover eggs, place them gently under your wheels, one under each, put your truck into 4 low, ..... and SPIN.

fishweewee
09-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Hmm. Karl, I hear that 4 scrambled plover eggs with a dash of Tabasco makes for a great breakfast smoothie.

Broadbill
09-07-2003, 08:33 PM
I feel like I gotta make a disclaimer before the rant that follows. I kill and eat some of the fish I catch. I’ve shot ducks and upland birds. I’m not a tree-hugging PETA weenie. I’ve been kept off beaches and made death marches across long stretches of sand because of plovers.

That having been said, I want to suggest in the most constructive way that threads like this are a bad idea on the web. This is the kind of stuff that the Audubon people love. They quote this stuff in their magazines and pamphlets and brand every fisherman as a know-nothing yahoo. Petitions get circulated to shut beaches and ban SUVs. Whatever you think about least terns and plovers, keep it to yourself. You’d be turning yourself inside out and protesting and picketing if there were only 1600 breeding pair of striped bass in the Northeast. That’s how many plovers there are, and there are people who are as passionate about them as we are about stripers. Don’t give ‘em the ammo; it’ll only come back to bite you where you fish. Rant over and tight lines.

MikeTLive
09-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Remember all that hoopla about the spotted owls?
The Freak-os were all up in arms about their habitat being destroyed by logging.

Turns out that their habit was actually improved by the logging.
spotted owls like little spots of trees and open spaces - like clearcuts and fire roads - to hunt in.

They found the owls in the woodlots because they WERE woodlots. They could not find them else where not because they were endangered or missing but because they never lived there!!!

Ever wonder if the plover population is at the correct level and that if it increased it might cause problems elsewhere in the foodweb?

bitch bitch bitch.

Karl F
09-07-2003, 09:11 PM
Mike T, yer analogy is perfect. I have a seashore report that shows that plovers that nest near active ORV trails, and areas where humans congregate have a higher survival rate than those in other areas... why, well, people and vehicles scare the predators away. And, they are beginning to realize there count is not accurate, at all.

Broadbill, Audobon has lost a lot of its clout and credibility, just about on the same level with PETA now... ask Jimmy Buffet about Audobon, although I think he can't say after his settlement with them... "Save the Manatee" when he found out his fund raising free concerts, (all $ to them) where paying outragous salaries, well, Liawyer time.

Broadbill, this thread is humor, and should be taken that way, I've worked tirelessly to keep beaches open for years, in and out of organizations, and you know what, the bottom line is the bottom line, Duxbury takes in over a million a year, Orleans the same on ORV sticker sales, the seashore is going to smarten up and charge more, they will still sell out, if they still limit sales.
Hey look at the Audobon guy that went to So. America to study the plover, his hosts fed it to him one night, that is a true story!

FWW, I guess we need to put little winkies everywhere to let people know, it's justa joke.... humor, truly endangered...
wee wee, if a plover poos on my truck, is that endangered feces? ;)

BigBo
09-07-2003, 10:48 PM
Karl F, after you scramble those eggs under your tires, scoop them and place them on a nice hot rock thats been baking in the sun for a while. Let them cook for about 5 minutes apiece and they be nice and tasty. Then like weewee says, "a dash of tobasco......":drool:

fishweewee
09-08-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Karl F
Hey look at the Audobon guy that went to So. America to study the plover, his hosts fed it to him one night, that is a true story!

...and that's why we need some more recipes. :laughs:

KLMulder
09-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Remember all that hoopla about the spotted owls?
( dont know how you guys do that quote thing)
Ill say it one more time.

Save a tree, Wipe your A$$ with an owl. LOL I just love that one.

Now to serious things, all wild like should be protected within reason. In order to do that you have to have some off limit areas and species but you also NEED to have some hunting and traping and fishing, its a fact that when man moves into an area the balance gets messed up dont belive it look at the deer, racoon and skunk population.

fishweewee
09-08-2003, 12:13 PM
"Save a beach, wipe your a$$ with a plover?" :laughs: :devil:

MikeTLive
09-08-2003, 12:27 PM
Save an alligator - shoot a preppie.

Pave Wales.

Visualize Whirled Peas.

Sax and Violins