View Full Version : First casts with a conventional.

Patrick
03-31-2001, 03:11 PM
Eek! Spooled up my Penn Long Beach 60 with 20lb test, strapped it on a rod. It wasn't a surf rod and it wasn't a conventional. Anyways, just wanted to make some casts.
Famous last words: "Hey Dad, I think I'm going to cast this weight a mile!" Man, I was lucky I could make it 20 yards! What a mess. I finally got it to stop backlashing on me.
I couldn't cast too far, but hey, it was fun.

But the day wasn't a total waste. I found out that I CAN use a right handed conventional. That is a big sigh of relief since it opens up a lot more reels to my usage. It's a little uncomfortable but not too bad and I'm sure it will get better as time goes on.

I also walked by the tennis courts and I saw a few tubes that didn't belong to anyone so I took them. Put them in a crate like I saw on another website.

mikecc
03-31-2001, 06:58 PM
Patrick
That reel is a boat reel and is not designed to cast.

Jenn
04-01-2001, 02:18 AM
hey Mike...did you ever shoot coffe out your nose??? It kinda hurts...... :)

Patrick
04-01-2001, 03:19 AM
Hey.....

No wonder I couldn't do so well. You live you learn. That reel was going on my boat rod anyways.

I was told I could cast that reel. I think I asked Gowge about magnetizing it. Maybe I mixed things up or something.

Mike P
04-01-2001, 08:16 AM
Wasn't Gowge's answer along the lines of "Why bother?" LOL?

Actually, it's a damn good boat reel. Every party boat out there uses them on their rental rods, which tells you two things---it's cheap and it can take a beating.

JohnR
04-01-2001, 12:49 PM
You may wish to try another reel and there are some good deals out there...

You also want to build out slowly. No matter how much you've heard about people picking up a conventional and hawking something 200 yards on the first cast, you really should start a little slower and a little easier. Using a 2 ounce plug (hookless if using on grass), adjust the cast control so that in free spool, the plug will slowly peel off line. Then tighten cast control until it stops (this is tighter than you will fish once accustomed to conventionals). Try some lob casts with pressure from the thumb keeping the reel from over running. DON'T Try To Cast to Ireland, no need at this point.

Gradually, alternate between more power in a smooth cast and a little less cast control. The thing is that you want to be consistant. To be able to cast repeatedly without massive overrun. It also doesn't happen overnight. Some people (including myself) take season's to get acclimated to casting reels. It is very frustrating picking out a massive birdsnest from your reel when when everyone around you is tight-lined to a fish...

Take your time and you'll really enjoy it...

Canalratt1
04-02-2001, 10:46 AM
Patrick when I first started fishing the surf my conventionals were Penn squidders and jigmasters. Like the reel you tried they don't have much of a anti-reverse but try to get the "play" out of the spool by tighting the silver knob on the side. You should have just a little side play. Don't fill the spool up full you are better to fill it to a little more than 3/4. Use your thumb for a brake on the side of the spool not the line. Try not to overcasy just educate your thumb. If you can learn to cast that reel the others are much easier. Good luck!