View Full Version : Amendment 13 Road Trip (9/15)

flatts1
09-11-2003, 06:34 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

As you all know by now there is a very important public hearing scheduled for this upcoming Monday (9/15) in Hyannis at 7:00pm. This meeting relates to ground fishing here in New England. I expect the issue of federal recreational permits to be addressed there as well.

MSBA President, Patrick Paquette, and I thought it might be helpful if we arranged a car pool from the Viking Club in Braintree. For those interested, we will be meeting at the Viking Club at 5:00pm and we will probably return sometime before 11:00pm.

Please reply to mikef@basspond.com if you intend on car pooling so that we will have some idea on how many folks to expect. This offer is for MSBA members AND non-members alike. If you are concerned about fishing for cod or haddock, then I urge all who can to attend.

Finally, many of us fought hard behind the scenes to get this time slot so that recreational voices may be heard. If we don't turn out in large numbers then we may not be afforded this opportunity again in the future for other fishery matters that you may be more interested in, take striped bass fishing in the EEZ for example.

See You There,
Mike Flaherty

MakoMike
09-11-2003, 06:39 AM
If anyone is interested in doing something similar from RI, I'd be interested.

flatts1
09-11-2003, 07:07 AM
Thanks MakoMike,

Since this is a federal matter it doesn't make a difference which state you come from. The RI hearing is scheduled for today (9/11)

South Kingstown, RI
Thursday, September 11, 2003
4:00 pm

Holiday Inn South Kingston
3009 Tower Hill Road
So. Kingston, RI 02674
Phone: (401) 789-1051

If you can't make this one (who gets out of work before 4:00?), then by all means try to make it to the Hyannis meeting on 9/15.

For more information, please check out...

http://www.basspond.com/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=13
{please direct replies to this forum here on striped-bass.com}

MakoMike
09-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Flatts,
I think I'll duck out early and make the one in S.K. tonight.

JohnR
09-11-2003, 12:09 PM
Flatts - up in the air - depends on how many brownie points I make / lose between now & then. It's the first week of September and my wife doesn't like me already ... And if I go to Hyannis, I'm gonn a bugga BM after that :)

flatts1
09-11-2003, 01:31 PM
MakoMike,

If you do head out to the RI hearing tonight, please be sure to give us an update.

Mike

MakoMike
09-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Flats,
didn't make it, got hung up in the office until 7:00 :(

flatts1
09-15-2003, 07:56 AM
Just a reminder

JohnR
09-15-2003, 07:58 AM
Son is home sick today with a fever - I will probably not be able to make it...

JohnR
09-15-2003, 11:13 AM
I would encourage anyone that can make this please do! I would but I'm on a short lease. Some of the proposed verbage with this really sucks....

Karl F
09-15-2003, 11:37 AM
I'm gonna try and be there, jugglin' kids around this afternoon with activities and such, I think it's important to be there, unless BM kidnaps me around 5:30, and makes me bring my rods and plugs....;) (ya got my cell #, right Dave? )

PS: Hope the kiddo is better quick, boss!

flatts1
09-15-2003, 11:38 AM
I understand John.

FWIW, there is another meeting in Glucester on 9/22.

For enyone interested in tonight's meeting, here is the information...

Hyannis, MA
Monday, September 15, 2003
2:00 pm
(Recreational Issues at 7:00 pm)
Ramada Inn
1127 Route 132
Hyannis, MA 02601
Phone: (508) 775-1153

MikeTLive
09-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Go to the damn public hearings.
Gather as many people as you can and GO TO THE HEARINGS!!!

You have to take every opportunity presented to you to state your case. By being there we may be able to sway the decision in the least disruptive way.

PLEASE ATTEND AS MANY HEARINGS AS POSSIBLE
Bring as many folks as possible.
Get out there and DO something before someone else makes the decision for you.

PUBLIC HEARING SCHEDULE
Hyannis, MA
Monday, September 15th
2:00pm
(Recreational Issues at 7:00pm)

Gloucester, MA
Monday, September 22
4:00pm

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Tuesday, September 23rd
2:00pm
(Recreational Issues at 7:00pm)

Ellsworth, Maine
Wednesday, September 24
5:00pm

Portland, Maine
Thursday, September 25

Fairhaven, MA
Tuesday, September 30

MikeTLive
09-15-2003, 11:52 AM
It ocurs to my that a handful of folks at each meeting will have less of an impact that all 10xhandsful at the same meeting.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
go in groups.
get together go early and often.

None of you has a right to complain about the decisions unless you get off your widening buts and make an attempt to go or get someone to go to these meetings.

Democracy is what we have but it does not work unless the people participate.

In a democracy the people get what they deserve.

Karl F
09-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Good job to all who spoke this evening, lots of good points and input. I will compose and email them my comments. Patrick, and Mike F., keep up the good work.

flatts1
09-16-2003, 08:32 AM
Without going into too much detail, I'm happy to report that the recreational turnout was rather decent at last night's meeting in Hyannis. I estimate that there were a total 25 people in the room. Of that 25, 10 were recreational fishermen. The rest were largely (if not all) charter boat captains.

The great thing is it didn't matter what group you may have been a part of because the message was unanimous by ALL.

1) SUPPORT Option 3 for recreational anglers.
2) DO NOT implement a permit for groundfish {1 person specified permits OK so long as no cost}
3) Level 1 closures (permanent no fishing zones for all species) are unacceptable.

For what it's worth, of the 10 recreational attendees, at least 7 were members of the Massachusetts Striped Bass Association.

Best,
Mike Flaherty
Proud Member of MSBA