View Full Version : Isabel

09-15-2003, 08:01 AM
Looks like this thing is going to track more to the north than expected. The new forecast is direct hit between Va-NJ. If it's NJ we are going to feel it for sure.

Is it too early to pull the boat out of the slip. Should the boat / trailer be tied down???

Scotch Bonnet
09-15-2003, 08:15 AM
Somebody said on the other forum to hook it up to the truck. The combined weight should keep it from flying away.

Mr. Sandman
09-16-2003, 09:47 AM
I plan to do nothing at the moment...max wind forcast for us is 23mph and some rain...I would not plan to haul the boat unless the wind > 60mph. You should be able to tough-it-out. Big swells that is about it.
(IF the forecast holds)

09-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Sandman,
I agree I am leaving it in the slip unless things change, right now it looks like we might just get a little wind from it, hell we might be able to even fish this weekend.....

Mr. Sandman
09-16-2003, 12:02 PM
I am planning to fish.

Frankly I took yesterday off to fish and did not do much...A couple bluefish for my efforts. Very disapointing. Going into beach mode after tomorrow..untill the swell settles.

MakoMike
09-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Guys,
I'm planning on going down and doubling all of the lines tomorrow night and hope for the best. But if I had a trailerable boat and a trailer I would pull it. It just isn't worth the chance vs a couple of hours worth of work. Major problem where I am (at the top of the great salt pond) won't be wind but storm surge if it comes. It could lift the floating docks which abound up there right off the pilings.
The official 11:00Am forecast is for it come ashor in NC just south of the NC/VA border, and its weakening fast. If that holds we'll have nothing to worry about.

Duke41
09-16-2003, 03:07 PM
Boaters,

I pulled Surfrunner out yesterday. I was at Kenport and they called and said all boats out by Wednesday. A few thoughts

- Yes it was a pain in the ass t opull the boat and tow it home
-There would be havoc at Point Judith and Snug Harbor if everyone tries to pull their boat at the same time.
-There could be a storm surge over Matunick Beach that could cause problems.
How many boats can be pulled at the last minute.

I feel a little safer having her put away for the next few days.

Make sure your insurance is paid up.

Pary that the bitch misses us.

:)

Megabyte
09-16-2003, 08:03 PM
I'm planning on making my decision Wednesday pm. Once Isabelle crosses the GulF Stream.. that should be the last thing that might make it change direction. (I hope)

If it stays on its present course, I'll leave it in.

N'bay forecast for sunday 5 - 10 knots sounds good to me !

Van
09-17-2003, 09:04 AM
The owner of my marina wants as many boats out as possible to reduce the strain on the docks. I don't mind cause he'll let me leave it in the boat yard which is only yards from the ramp and slpis. Better to be safe than sorry.
So most of us with trailers are pulling. I am going to pull her out tonight, and put back in as soon as its safe.
Say Saturday (and full day of fishing as well!)

schoolie monster
09-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Chalk one up for the little boat guys. I knew there had to be an advantage to trailering every weekend... well, other than $$.

Looks like things should be pretty settled by sat, Van I should be out sat as well. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Van
09-17-2003, 10:25 AM
SM,

Sounds good, Hopefully the swells will be gone by then.
We absolutely slammed fish yesterday, tons of blues (some BIG) with bass in the mix (all in the upper teens in weight).
Ch 69.

Only 2 doggies all day.
I am exhausted today.