View Full Version : electronics for inshore fishing - side scan sonar? Or Garmin Livescope?

Jim in CT
10-17-2022, 08:33 AM
My wife is back at work after being home for 14 years (14 long years), and even she is saying we need a boat. Probably picking up a new Maritime skiff 21 defiant.

I don't know much about electronics, but the charter captains I go with almost all use side scan sonar, I assume there's a reason why it's so popular.

I do some freshwater trips with a guide who uses Garmin livesope, it's actually a live video feed of what's happening all around the boat, if you throw a shiner into a school of perch, you can see a few perch break off the school and come attack the shiner. It's very cool. But I assume there's a reason why I've never seen a captain use it in saltwater?

Pro and cons?

I assume we want a trolling motor with spot lock?

Will do a mix of light tackle fishing for bass and blues, and some bottom fishing for scup, sea bass and tog, mostly Eastern CT between the CT river and Fishers Island.

Any advice appreciated.

Looking is so much fun.

JohnR
10-17-2022, 08:50 AM
It's been a few years since I looked into it but I was digging into the Humminbird stuff. There has probably been a one or two generational leap to it. That said, some of the Pros/Cons should simply be how will redundancy factor into your plan? One nice all in one and some lesser capable backups?

Jim in CT
10-17-2022, 09:16 AM
It's been a few years since I looked into it but I was digging into the Humminbird stuff. There has probably been a one or two generational leap to it. That said, some of the Pros/Cons should simply be how will redundancy factor into your plan? One nice all in one and some lesser capable backups?

Hadn't thought much about redundancy, I just don't know a lot about electronics. If you had a healthy but not unlimited budget, what would you want in an inshore boat for light tackle fishing?

Linesider82
10-17-2022, 11:36 AM
My wife is back at work after being home for 14 years (14 long years), and even she is saying we need a boat. Probably picking up a new Maritime skiff 21 defiant.

I don't know much about electronics, but the charter captains I go with almost all use side scan sonar, I assume there's a reason why it's so popular.

I do some freshwater trips with a guide who uses Garmin livesope, it's actually a live video feed of what's happening all around the boat, if you throw a shiner into a school of perch, you can see a few perch break off the school and come attack the shiner. It's very cool. But I assume there's a reason why I've never seen a captain use it in saltwater?

Pro and cons?

I assume we want a trolling motor with spot lock?

Will do a mix of light tackle fishing for bass and blues, and some bottom fishing for scup, sea bass and tog, mostly Eastern CT between the CT river and Fishers Island.

Any advice appreciated.

Looking is so much fun.

Hi Jim,

The livescope technology is incredible and Garmin just made it better, however the full packages for this technology is very expensive 10K, sidescan plus a spotlock trolling motor is around the same cost depending on what you choose. The primary reason why we don't see livescope in salt water is because of the nature of our quarry. In salt water we tend to move much more than in freshwater (tides, and wind exposure). I do see it's application worthiness for blackfish in regards to finding a giant boulder, but odds are if you're in a boulder field you will be catching no matter what.

Sidescan in saltwater makes the most sense and is way more economical in regards to price over livescope because it gives you the picture of the ocean floor left and right of the vessel and that's all you need. With side scan, you can find fish and/or structure. The best tool without either option is the g3 chip, boston to norfork if your range is the cape and south. this is bottom imagery from NOAA (free online) you could literally set marks without this tech for free with homework, the file is dumbed-down because the imagery file size in full res is gigantic.

Something to consider is if you plan to use your boat in fresh and salt and/or also ice fish. I blind flush mounted my electronics in my boat. While it looks awesome and impossible to steal without cutting out my console and then god willing they try to get it free, my smaller garmin unit was portable in size. I should have used an accessible top mount for it to take it to a tin boat or ice fishing and simply purchased the mounts or Ice pack for it, and rig my boat or ice pack for it's use.

I do do that (my 1890 fishes both salt and fresh, and I ice fish), and NOW my garmin unit for ice and fresh water is portable and wifi connected so I can both import what I need (single marks) or swap the chip and get the same info between units if I used auto contour of a reef or something that is generally marked. Inland I think hummingbird has an edge, salt it's garmin all day especially since Garmin bought out navionics.

If you plan on running at night, radar is wonderful as is a spotlight. Save your $ don't get livescope and put it towards radar and a momentary spot.

Also do not do business with Atlantic Outboards, they are crooks.

Jim in CT
10-17-2022, 12:26 PM
Hi Jim,

The livescope technology is incredible and Garmin just made it better, however the full packages for this technology is very expensive 10K, sidescan plus a spotlock trolling motor is around the same cost depending on what you choose. The primary reason why we don't see livescope in salt water is because of the nature of our quarry. In salt water we tend to move much more than in freshwater (tides, and wind exposure). I do see it's application worthiness for blackfish in regards to finding a giant boulder, but odds are if you're in a boulder field you will be catching no matter what.

Sidescan in saltwater makes the most sense and is way more economical in regards to price over livescope because it gives you the picture of the ocean floor left and right of the vessel and that's all you need. With side scan, you can find fish and/or structure. The best tool without either option is the g3 chip, boston to norfork if your range is the cape and south. this is bottom imagery from NOAA (free online) you could literally set marks without this tech for free with homework, the file is dumbed-down because the imagery file size in full res is gigantic.

Something to consider is if you plan to use your boat in fresh and salt and/or also ice fish. I blind flush mounted my electronics in my boat. While it looks awesome and impossible to steal without cutting out my console and then god willing they try to get it free, my smaller garmin unit was portable in size. I should have used an accessible top mount for it to take it to a tin boat or ice fishing and simply purchased the mounts or Ice pack for it, and rig my boat or ice pack for it's use.

I do do that (my 1890 fishes both salt and fresh, and I ice fish), and NOW my garmin unit for ice and fresh water is portable and wifi connected so I can both import what I need (single marks) or swap the chip and get the same info between units if I used auto contour of a reef or something that is generally marked. Inland I think hummingbird has an edge, salt it's garmin all day especially since Garmin bought out navionics.

If you plan on running at night, radar is wonderful as is a spotlight. Save your $ don't get livescope and put it towards radar and a momentary spot.

Also do not do business with Atlantic Outboards, they are crooks.

Great response, thanks!

"The livescope technology is incredible and Garmin just made it better, "

I do 2-4 trips a year in freshwater with my kids and a guide, he uses livescan. My kids think it's incredible the way he finds the schools and watching the fish come up and eat their bait, my kids LOVE it. I've also taken them ice fishing with the same guy and it's awesome in the ice too.

"sidescan plus a spotlock trolling motor is around the same cost depending on what you choose."

That's in the ballpark of what I figured.

"I do see it's application worthiness for blackfish in regards to finding a giant boulder, but odds are if you're in a boulder field you will be catching no matter what. "

Interesting you'd say that, as the freshwater guide tells me the livescan is very helpful to him when he targets blackfish.

"Something to consider is if you plan to use your boat in fresh and salt and/or also ice fish."

We are looking for something easily trailerable so we can do fresh and salt. Does that make you lean in one direction or the other for what you'd recommend? Not a big ice fisherman.

I did a trip this June with my kids and Captain Mike Roy in the CT River. He used the side scan to find a school of bunker that gave no sign of their presence on the surface, then used it to find schools of bass to drift through. I fell in love with side scan sonar on that trip.

"Sidescan in saltwater makes the most sense"

I assumed that anyone knowledgeable would say that, I've never seen a saltwater captain use livescan. They all use side scan sonar now. there has to be a good reason why.

"I do do that (my 1890"

You have a Maritime 1890? My first choice was actually the 2090 skiff (I have 3 boys I like to fish with), but we may end up with a 21 defiant.

"If you plan on running at night, radar is wonderful as is a spotlight. Save your $ don't get livescope and put it towards radar and a momentary spot. "

I occasionally like fishing at night but especially as I get older, I'm OK paying a pro to take me once or twice a year to Block at night. I don't like night fishing enough to want to take any chances. I just don't know that I'd ever trust myself not to hurt anyone else. It'd be cool to get to Southwest Ledge by myself at night, but I'm planning on being a VERY conservative boater. May still get the radar as you never know when you'll need it.

"Also do not do business with Atlantic Outboards, they are crooks."

I've never heard that before, but wasn't planning on using them.

How do you tell what depth the fish are at, with side scan?

tlapinski
10-18-2022, 06:45 AM
Something else to think about is that regardless of which side imaging you choose (Garmin and Humminbird both offer it, I forget off hand who else does but I'd be shocked if they all do not), you're going to want to run 2 screens to do it right, especially if you opt for Livescope or Humminbird's version which is called Mega Live Imaging. Any boat I've been on with some version of side imaging either has 2 screens or we wished we did. I have it on my kayak with a single screen and even on a 9" display when I run split screens the display is small.

Humminbird synchs up with Minn Kota, which is a nice feature if you opt for Solix as you can run the motor off the screen or remote, whichever is easier at that moment.

The new version of Livescope released earlier this year is designed for deeper water and better use in saltwater.

I do a lot of work with both Garmin and Humminbird and there is a lot I like on paper from both but I have had far more hands-on experience with Humminbird. When I finally bite the bullet and get a boat it will be a very difficult decision between the two.

Jim in CT
10-18-2022, 07:02 AM
Something else to think about is that regardless of which side imaging you choose (Garmin and Humminbird both offer it, I forget off hand who else does but I'd be shocked if they all do not), you're going to want to run 2 screens to do it right, especially if you opt for Livescope or Humminbird's version which is called Mega Live Imaging. Any boat I've been on with some version of side imaging either has 2 screens or we wished we did. I have it on my kayak with a single screen and even on a 9" display when I run split screens the display is small.

Humminbird synchs up with Minn Kota, which is a nice feature if you opt for Solix as you can run the motor off the screen or remote, whichever is easier at that moment.

The new version of Livescope released earlier this year is designed for deeper water and better use in saltwater.

I do a lot of work with both Garmin and Humminbird and there is a lot I like on paper from both but I have had far more hands-on experience with Humminbird. When I finally bite the bullet and get a boat it will be a very difficult decision between the two.

Thanks Toby. I feel like I need to go get my electrical engineering degree to figure it out.

afterhours
10-18-2022, 07:59 AM
For budget minded check out the Garmin Echomap UHD 94sv, a bunch of features for very reasonable $. You can find them on sale for 800. Been using one this year and really like it, also know others who have one and feel the same.

wdmso
10-18-2022, 08:24 AM
Jim. I am running GPSMAP® 943xsv
SideVü, ClearVü and Traditional CHIRP Sonar with Mapping
they run 1,499.99but you can add radar later Something to check before buying a unit .. dont like clearvu prefer Chirip image

Out of my 3 additions last year i listed them in order of Value and usage 1st Radar with heading sensor gives me better chart & radar overlays really gave a me sense me safety (still wont run at speed in fog like
some )

2nd the trolling motor with spot lock used it more to slow a drift or create one or slow trolling pogies . and tog of course ...

3rd Side scan mostly for tog a finding bottom features and finding pogies who are not showing ... but dont use it as much as i expected I would also say the motor leg tends to interfere with one side of the image

And if you can go 23 ft do it .. i went 23 then wish i went 26 once i fished i few different areas .. the 23 gets it done. the 26 would have saved my knees and back!

good luck with whatever you decide to get

Jim in CT
10-18-2022, 08:36 AM
Jim. I am running GPSMAP® 943xsv
SideVü, ClearVü and Traditional CHIRP Sonar with Mapping
they run 1,499.99but you can add radar later Something to check before buying a unit .. dont like clearvu prefer Chirip image

Out of my 3 additions last year i listed them in order of Value and usage 1st Radar with heading sensor gives me better chart & radar overlays really gave a me sense me safety (still wont run at speed in fog like
some )

2nd the trolling motor with spot lock used it more to slow a drift or create one or slow trolling pogies . and tog of course ...

3rd Side scan mostly for tog a finding bottom features and finding pogies who are not showing ... but dont use it as much as i expected I would also say the motor leg tends to interfere with one side of the image

And if you can go 23 ft do it .. i went 23 then wish i went 26 once i fished i few different areas .. the 23 gets it done. the 26 would have saved my knees and back!

good luck with whatever you decide to get

Thanks! I've heard motors can interfere with side scan image.

I know what you mean about 2 foot-itis. But I want something that for now at least, I can trailer, launch, and retrieve easily by myself. Heck I loved my 19 footer but I was in my 20s then, just a young pup. No more. I do look at the 24 Privateer and 25 C-Hawk often and wonder if I should just bite the bullet. Part of me says take the $$ I'd spend today on a 21 footer, put it into an aggressive mutual fund while the stock market is down, then when the market is back up in a few years, I'll have enough to get a 25-footer. I'm doing 10-ish charter trips a year with my kids and I feel like that's a decent amount of fishing...but the kids and even the wife are saying now is the time...

nightfighter
10-18-2022, 09:00 AM
For budget minded check out the Garmin Echomap UHD 94sv, a bunch of features for very reasonable $. You can find them on sale for 800. Been using one this year and really like it, also know others who have one and feel the same.

I am very satisfied with this unit. Has more than enough for my 20'CC. The price point is right and I would not be adding radar, unless I went up in size to 23-27' and added a T-top.

I have operated a number of boats with many different GPS/FF units, but here is my disclaimer; I have never used Hummingbird. I have had Garmin, then Raymarine that I hated, and went back to Garmin. I was out the door for $752 and installed the unit easily on my own. Is the extra 3k worth it to be able to have a trolling motor keep me on station? Not to me. On a bigger boat, sure. For now, I will put the 3k into a new 84 gallon fuel tank replacement...

Don't get me wrong. The toys would be nice. But I don't think they are going to put that many more fish on the deck... This unit is more than I need. We all started out fishing by the seat of our pants with no electronics after all.....

nightfighter
10-18-2022, 09:12 AM
And honestly Jim, I would not be a buyer right now. I think the economy is going to be worse in six months. Some of those first-time buyers who entered the boating market during Covid are going to be selling, hopefully at a discount to the recent market prices. At least that is what I am hoping for. Buy your straw hats in the winter, as the saying goes. Interest rates are croaking a number of markets. New boaters are not going to like paying that monthly nut in the middle of winter. Especially the ones who used a home equity loan to finance the boat and see the monthly payments increasing... Just my opinion, despite the reduction in used inventory that was destroyed by hurricane Ian.

Jim in CT
10-18-2022, 09:46 AM
And honestly Jim, I would not be a buyer right now. I think the economy is going to be worse in six months. Some of those first-time buyers who entered the boating market during Covid are going to be selling, hopefully at a discount to the recent market prices. At least that is what I am hoping for. Buy your straw hats in the winter, as the saying goes. Interest rates are croaking a number of markets. New boaters are not going to like paying that monthly nut in the middle of winter. Especially the ones who used a home equity loan to finance the boat and see the monthly payments increasing... Just my opinion, despite the reduction in used inventory that was destroyed by hurricane Ian.

I hear you! We could start a whole thread on the philosophy of when is the right time to buy a boat! And I agree the economy will be worse for the next 6-12 months. I owned 2 boats in my 20s, and I simply can't believe what new boats are going for now. But as my wife says, we only live once, we work hard, you can't take money with you when you're gone, and it's important to treat yourself to some luxuries once in awhile, and we all do like the water. On the "don't buy" side, as my kids get older they have more activities and friends and girlfriends, so there will come a time when it will be hard to have free time to use it, and when we have free time my kids will likely rather hang out with their friends. I really struggle with it. But we're lucky enough that we're in a place now where I can buy something like a new 21 foot Maritime and rig it nicely, IF we decide we want to do that. Or, I can continue to do 10 or so charter trips each year, that has worked out well for us. It's nice to let someone else do all the work, and those guys really catch fish.

Either way, it's really really fun (in my opinion) to look and kick tires. My brain says "put the money into an aggressive mutual fund for 5-6 years, then buy a 25 footer when you're close to retirement".

If I knew my kids would want to use it a lot with me, I wouldn't have any hesitation. My fear is that it would spend a lot of time sitting in my driveway while we're watching my kids sporting events, boy scout meetings, concerts, etc...

wdmso
10-18-2022, 10:46 AM
Jim I bought new in 2014. If I ever upgrade I’ll buy used and base my purchase on engine hours

I have 1300hrs on mine but I see many 2014 try 2019. With like 250hrs on them ., but I am sure a lot of hurricane boats are going to flood the market.

And a 23 footer boat and trailers isn’t much hard to load than a 20 footer
And the increase in deck space improves fishing and family comfort

My 234 Sea hunt ultra coverts from fishing to family easily

And a decent mid tier boat but a 2016 Sea Hunt Ultra 234 for
$72,100. That’s almost 2x what I paid in 2015. Wow !

I’d find a older 23 Regulator
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jim in CT
10-18-2022, 10:59 AM
Jim I bought new in 2014. If I ever upgrade I’ll buy used and base my purchase on engine hours

I have 1300hrs on mine but I see many 2014 try 2019. With like 250hrs on them ., but I am sure a lot of hurricane boats are going to flood the market.

And a 23 footer boat and trailers isn’t much hard to load than a 20 footer
And the increase in deck space improves fishing and family comfort

My 234 Sea hunt ultra coverts from fishing to family easily

And a decent mid tier boat but a 2016 Sea Hunt Ultra 234 for
$72,100. That’s almost 2x what I paid in 2015. Wow !

I’d find a older 23 Regulator
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

All VERY solid advice. I can probably handle a 23 footer no problem today, but I ain't getting any younger. But I hear you!

I like sea hunts a lot, that 23 footer is a nice blend of fishability and family friendliness.

The price of boats is INSANE.

I'm not really handy, and I'm not itching to learn a lot about boat/motor repair, and I don't want to miss much time on the water because things aren't working...so I was leaning towards a new, mid tier boat.

I also like Pacific Boats, all-welded aluminum, built like brick sh*thouses and no polish work. They don't look very nice, but they are tough workboats.

Rockfish9
10-18-2022, 11:33 AM
I run a Garmin 94SV with side scan and Pantoptix package, the transducer for the pantoptix is mounted on the trolling motor... this was an add on and honestly, not worth the money IMHO, it is a few years old, I'm sure it's gotten better, but i use my side scan alot, mainly for structure, but I've used it to find lost lobster gear that was cut off...it's that good once you get the hang of what you are seeing.

Jim in CT
10-18-2022, 11:45 AM
I run a Garmin 94SV with side scan and Pantoptix package, the transducer for the pantoptix is mounted on the trolling motor... this was an add on and honestly, not worth the money IMHO, it is a few years old, I'm sure it's gotten better, but i use my side scan alot, mainly for structure, but I've used it to find lost lobster gear that was cut off...it's that good once you get the hang of what you are seeing.

The pros that I fish with who use side scan, do amazing things with it. I look at the screen and all I see is a bunch of blobs, I can't tell what's what. But the guy we're fishing with Sunday (Mike Roy) does amazing amazing things with side scan.