View Full Version : Yahoo Virus!!

macojoe
09-18-2003, 06:08 PM
If any of you see this in your email : Sender: admin@yahoo.com Subject : your account ipaiowf as a attachment don't open it!! It has a Virus attched to it!! I have emiled Yahoo to tell them. Thank god for Norton Symantec !!

jugstah
09-19-2003, 07:00 AM
I had a clean PC at home that I disconnected and brought over to my GF's place to use rather than her slow PC. My PC had not been infected for weeks, thank god to my using a IPF filter on my freebsd firewall box.

Anyway, within 48 hours of setting it up at my GF's place, it was infected and it was ugly!!! I tried a freeware virus scanner called AVG and to say the least, it's not the best but it works... but it doesn't get all the viruses out. So I had to run out yesterday after work, and bought me a McAfee virusscan and scanned my PC... ohhhh boy, lotsa viruses.

I think she got it by way of Hotmail.

Dang it!

Thank god I use putty-ssh and mutt! :)

macojoe
09-19-2003, 09:35 AM
well I got another one today!! This one is again from or at least says it is from Yahoo admin@yahoo.com and in the sibject line it say : ocvbcgwu and it says : Hello there,

I would like to inform you about important information regarding your
email address. This email address will be expiring.
Please read attachment for details.

---
Best regards, Administrator
ocvocgwc
Then it wants you to open the attachment which is a zip file.

This is 2 in todays that I have gotten :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af:

JohnR
09-19-2003, 09:57 AM
I get hundreds of e-mails a day and just delete most of them....

Putty :D - Love It!

macojoe
09-19-2003, 09:59 AM
these are my first ever virus emails in the 6 years i had a puter

jugstah
09-19-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by JohnR
I get hundreds of e-mails a day and just delete most of them....

Putty :D - Love It!

Do you use MUTT or pine or ELM to read your emails, JohnR?

Or are you using a GUI-based mailreader? :)

JohnR
09-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Nahhh - I use Putty for some SSH stuff but otherwise use BSOD for most everything... I'm running some other test / dev / teaching stuff at home / linux/netware/ and some other stuff on them...