View Full Version : Giant Tuna breaking everywhere

Rappin Mikey
09-22-2003, 07:35 AM
Headed to Stellwagon to jig for some cod. Didn't do so hot, so we decided to head back towards the Race and snap some wire. About three miles off shore I heard my buddy yell Holy Cow! (or something like that) Then I looked starboard to see, what looked like to me, the water after a whale breaks surface. I told him he just saw a hump-back, but he called me a moron and said just shut up and cast into those blue fish now. As I was tying on, I saw one. This thing must have easily have been 1400+, and it came all the way out of the water like a porpoise putting on a show at Sea World. It was the most amazing, huge thing I have ever seen. I guess seven giants were landed that night. I landed two blue fish. My buddy Rocko pulled in two line sides over 40", but no Tuna. Wow, coolest thing I ever saw. Now I just gotta go spend 3 grand on a nice tuna rig.

fishsmith
09-22-2003, 08:14 AM
Was this saturday or sunday?

Rappin Mikey
09-22-2003, 08:25 AM
Saturday

fishsmith
09-22-2003, 08:38 AM
I was out there sunday, and it was bumpy but lots of boats had the $3k tuna setups you mentioned.
It's got to be awesome live lining a bluefish for one of those monsters.

Mike P
09-22-2003, 01:31 PM
I've seen them come all the way out of the water like that in the east end of the Canal :eek:

likwid
09-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Did you know that Mackerel can fly?

Yep

Put a GBF behind em, and they levitate about 6 inches off the water.

Mike P
09-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by likwid
Did you know that Mackerel can fly?

Yep

Put a GBF behind em, and they levitate about 6 inches off the water.

So do 10 pound bluefish :D

likwid
09-22-2003, 02:01 PM
even with a 12/0 hook, 10 feet of 300lb mono, and another 50 yards of 130lb mono behind that :D :D :D

oh
and a balloon!

RickBomba
09-22-2003, 05:52 PM
And maybe Turbo from Breakin 2, Electric Boogaloo.
He broke like crazy,
Or maybe breaked.
Fat Boys.....
Later,
Boogaloo Shrimp

RickBomba
09-22-2003, 05:54 PM
Oh Yeah, Mikey.
It's Stellwagen.
Not Stellwagon, I think.
Love,
Mr. Spellchecker
I am to bust!!!

Duke41
09-22-2003, 08:57 PM
If any of you guys get down toward Snug Harbor Marina, they have a picture on the wall of a 1000+ Blue fin chasing a bluefish. Both Fish are about 5 feet above the surface. On the next frame the tuna us heading back onto the drink with the blue in his mouth....awesome.

RIROCKHOUND
09-23-2003, 07:54 AM
There is a time series photo (super high speed film I guess) taken by one of the Murray brothers, maybe the same print, but it is my favorite fishing picture!
'hound

Saltheart
09-23-2003, 12:56 PM
When you see a Giant Blue Fin leap in the canal , the first thing you do is look for someone else who saw it. Its so hard to believe you need someone else to tell you "yep , Your not crazy , I saw it too". :)

Mike P
09-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Saltheart
When you see a Giant Blue Fin leap in the canal , the first thing you do is look for someone else who saw it. Its so hard to believe you need someone else to tell you "yep , Your not crazy , I saw it too". :)

Still kinda gets me edgy when I hear one at night. Makes me hold up my casts for a few minutes, too. Last thing I wanna do is lose 300 yards of braid to one of those freight trains :eek:

likwid
09-23-2003, 02:51 PM
bah

it'd be worth it to lose all 300 yards

it'd be more worth it if you could actually turn it ;)

Mike P
09-23-2003, 03:10 PM
You have as much chance of turning one of those as you have of turning a 38' Bertram that runs over yer line :D :laughs:

I've seen guys try, tho. Takes a BFT about 100 seconds to empty a Squidder on a running current. Even with the guy running down the service road as fast as he can. It's fun to watch :smash:

likwid
09-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Yeah but atleast then you got about 20 people that were also standing there watching the pig fly by with your line at mach 3

;)

Mike P
09-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Best part of the show is when the guy clamps both his thumbs down on the spool to try and slow it down. I think they hear the "YEEEEOOOOWWWWWW" all the way to Nantucket.

Or when the guy leaves the rod in a spike with just the clicker on, and the line goes out so fast it backlashes. Usually the rod winds up wedged in the rocks before the 30# mono breaks

One thing about the Canal in the middle of the day---there's always the potential for a sideshow :D