View Full Version : West Wall Yesterday!!!

JohnR
04-06-2001, 10:41 AM
Figured that would get your attention :P ...

OK, went to the Wall yesterday. Winds at my house were East and winds at my Rhody office were North BUT, several web weather thingamagiggys were saying SW for Westerly, Block, and URI Bay campus - all roughly bracketing the West Wall. Unfortunately, the Matunuck Beach Surf Cam indicated flat water which is OK with a SW wind... Armed with that hope, I headed down for what I feel is the true ritual kick-off for spring... As I'm suiting up, I realive that it feels south, which is not great but not bad - I get over the hill to the wall and it's blowing out of the south east. The only thing worse there would be a NE wind... Otherwise, it was a beautiful day on the wall. Of the roughly twenty people there, nobody had a hit, let alone a rod curled for anything other than a bottom snag... Steve M. thought he saw some fish breaking but no joy after castig to where they were...

So, still no fish at the Wall. There were a handfull last week but nobody has had any since (at least the regulars I talked to)... But if the weather holds warm for a few days AND we get some SW winds - it should start heating up soon....

'Cours, last year was a marginal year for the Wall and not as good as the past few years.

What I did get to see was a nice spring day on clean water (not fishing the toilet like Providence :P ) with a nice sunset and the knowledge that the good fishing is just a week or two away...

Saltheart
04-06-2001, 11:21 AM
Too bad no fish. :( What do you think would have been happening at Cronins with the southeast wind?

Patrick
04-06-2001, 01:01 PM
It was still a beautiful day out. Water has been extremely clear. I could see down about 3 feet without a problem. BTW, Noreast.com's link to Rutger's water temp thing shows that our area has had upper 30s water temps. Still wayyyyyyyy too cold. We need a week of days like yesterday and we'll be set!

JohnR
04-06-2001, 01:42 PM
The water temps were in the fourties yesterday. When you check out the color maps on the sea temps - try to find the most "clear" one available. That seems to have the best data... Temps are a little bit warmer than that... If you go to my "links" page: http://www.striped-bass.com/links.shtml you'll see the NDBC bouy links. You can also pull the temps from the data bouys themselves which are usually more accurate than the sat stuff because they are in the water and are less likely to suffer interference from other conditions...

Patrick
04-06-2001, 01:56 PM
wow I do like those maps better. Although they don't have any data buoys in the sound, I can make a guestimate on what it is. The water is getting up there. The Jersey buoy had the temps as high as 43 degrees! I'm itching to get going! I'm gonna give it another 3 days.

JohnR
04-06-2001, 02:21 PM
You also want to look at the temperature curves over the previous 24 hours as they'll vary by 5 degrees... The Buzzards Bay bouy had temps as high as 50 (could be an anomalie) 2 days ago but has averaged about 45 degrees...

Clammer
04-06-2001, 02:40 PM
Hey John ,nice day to try/ the surface water temperature in the bay today was a steady 46/47 not counting the shallow coves /no sun/ next week we'll have a few around here / once there here we can hookup and either fish by boat or land, Also have to give Fishpart a call once i'm sure they are around// he works less than 15 minutes from where we live//later

JohnR
04-06-2001, 03:27 PM
Yup

Saltheart
04-06-2001, 04:38 PM
No thoughts on Cronins aka East Wall?

JohnR
04-06-2001, 07:20 PM
Dunno, Saltheart - was just hoping the Wall would come alive - yave you given it a shot yet??

Smokey
04-08-2001, 03:23 PM
Saltheart and I were planning to go today, our plans were foiled by the weather. Maybe good friday will be a good fishin friday at the wall.

JohnR
04-09-2001, 08:35 AM
Sounds like there might be SW winds today -

Who knows maybe some fish there too ;D

Fishpart
04-09-2001, 09:32 AM
Now we just need to break the chains of slavery....Uh I mean get the day off from work.