View Full Version : Don goes from keeper to over 30lbs

GBOUTDOORS
09-23-2003, 06:51 AM
Don heres the pictures of your fish. Bet my customer will be mad this morning that he did not show last night:smash: Not bad Don two weeks ago you are looking for your first keeper of the year now you jump right up to 30# lbs+ and 44 1/2" Whats next??? Great night out there last night its always fun to see someone get there largest fish ever but every trip :eek: Whats is next 50#:cool:

GBOUTDOORS
09-23-2003, 06:56 AM
Pic #2

rwilhelm
09-23-2003, 07:13 AM
Great Job!!! Nice Fish

Clammer
09-23-2003, 07:16 AM
nice fish Don ////

the boats tooooooooo clean :cool: :cool:

Bliz
09-23-2003, 07:20 AM
Thanks!...

It was a great evening on the water!... :D

Someone keeps raising the bar! :confused:

Saltheart was right... it does get easier!...

Cudo's to the Captain!

JohnR
09-23-2003, 07:37 AM
:btu:

Hi GB :wavey:

Tattoo
09-23-2003, 07:44 AM
Who's going to tell him that any fish from a boat doesn't count? :confused:

Clammer
09-23-2003, 07:56 AM
Tattoo ,its not the boat its the umbrella rig//they are snagging these bass///:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Saltheart
09-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Wow, beautiful fish Don! Been a good year for you! :)

Bliz
09-23-2003, 08:48 AM
Thanks Mike. :)

Bliz
09-23-2003, 08:49 AM
Mr. Clammer... :bshake: :D

Tattoo
09-23-2003, 09:46 AM
Umbrella's no wonder.....

Try casting an umbrella rig from shore with wire line.

no matter what....boat fish don't count

fishaholic18
09-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Nice fish!!!! :D Where did you get it at?

09-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Good Looking Bass, now where is it's Grandmother?

Krispy
09-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Tattoo, didnt I see you throwing bunker spoons off the reef? :smash:

Clammer
09-23-2003, 10:16 AM
@#$%^&^<<@#$%^%$%$< MO$%^^ BLUEFISH

:smash: :af: :smash: :af: :nailem: :nailem: :nailem:

Christian
09-23-2003, 01:52 PM
nice fishy.

missing link
09-23-2003, 02:25 PM
sweet!!!!!!!

shore manic
09-23-2003, 03:32 PM
yeah shore, after the last 4 days of skunk i'll take one off a boat. can't even find the unders. seems like we're still a month behind normal around here:af: nice catch bliz!!

Goose
09-23-2003, 04:41 PM
I guess you did clean your shoes after all....:btu:

bud8fan
09-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Nice fish Don!! Bet you werent using braid at night this time!:laughs:

But seriously! Gotta get one like that in the surf!!!

Bliz
09-24-2003, 01:24 PM
Whether Boat or Beach... It's so satisfying to reel in one of these girls!...

My surf trophy will come sooner or later, but for now...

I'm loving the Fall Run! :happy:

bud8fan
09-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Fess up don!! Were you trolling with wire and umbrella's?

Nice fish yes! but on wire?? Not much chance for the bass!

GBOUTDOORS
09-24-2003, 03:46 PM
Ok the spot I am fishing is off shore about 200 yards. I can,t get to it from shore as the land is all private and even if I could get to it I can,t cast 200 yards. So I use a boat but you are telling me that if I catch it from the boat it does not count??? So you have some great spots to fish that are private but can fish and I can,t so now your fish don,t count right?? I think I need a new list of the fish that do and don,t count as I lost my old copy or used it to wipe my :bshake: with. Now if I do get permission to fish this spot from shore and wade out to the spot and catch Don,s fish does it count??? What if Don lies and tells us he caught it from shore it counts then right??? I think we need that new list but if we do count fish caught from a boat do we need to do it by the size of the boat as I have a 21' and Goose has a 18' so I can fish some waters he can,t so now some of my fish should not count right??? Oh hell nice fish Don and I don,t care how you caught it or where, its still a nice fish. And as for the list I need the new one bad as I am all out of t-paper:eek: :eek: :laughs: :laughs:

JohnR
09-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Hey GB - when are we donna go out for fish that don't count :) - I'll bring TP

Christian
09-24-2003, 04:09 PM
:laughs:

Canalman
09-24-2003, 05:42 PM
Judging by what you've told me Greg... and the shoreline in the background, I just might have access to that private land.... now to rig my potatoe gun up to shoot plugs or eels!! :nailem: :rocketem:

-Dave

Goose
09-24-2003, 06:09 PM
Thats F%#@* BULL Greg! there is no need to explain to anyone where your fishin, ain't nobodys biz. Thats just great, just shoot the guys fish down cause he got it the way he did. When the next s-b night out??? :af:

mrmacey
09-24-2003, 06:25 PM
you be stirring up the pot wheres your pics pro boy!! lol! don nice fish while russ sleeps you fish ill never forget that pro boy when we going out to fish from the boat again!!:laughs: :laughs: :happy: :laughs:

GBOUTDOORS
09-24-2003, 06:40 PM
I just figured it out that only two of my fish this year count so I am going to sell the boat and all the TROLLING gear to some poor slob that does not know that fish you catch on a boat don,t count. I have a 42# striper being mounted for my office that I caught on the boat and don,t want anymore as it does not count. Anyone want it for a bait shop or fish market for display??????? I think I will go back to hunting earlyer this year. Oh crap Jane just told me that all my deer don,t count as the land I hunt is private and is for my use only. Anyone want a nice new bow,shotgun and lots of treestands as I am going to take up knitting I know that if I can knit a nice sweater it will count!!!!!!!!! Got to go now as I hear that Kmart has a bluelight special on yarn tonight. Good by old friends its been real its been fun but its not been real fun.:( :(

By the way Don,s fish was caught on leadcore braided line with a 30# florocarbon leader not wire. I do not use wire and do not like it but do not see anything wrong with fish caught on it if thats your thing go for it. I use to love my fishing and hunting till I found out that I was doing it all wrong. Now my life is just an empty stain, oh how I long for yesterday!!!!!!!:bc:

mrmacey
09-24-2003, 06:43 PM
if you read the book and practice dont ask for help cause it wont count!:D

BigBo
09-24-2003, 07:07 PM
GB, can I have your boat and boat gear? I don't mind catching fish that don't count as long as they look like Don's fish! Nice catch Don! Of course it counts. A nice fish is a nice fish!:kewl:

GBOUTDOORS
09-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Hi John:wavey:

How about some night next week? I would be happy to take you out. And if you want your fish to count I think I have a way around the boat thing. If you bring a float tube as soon as the fish hits you jump over the side in the tube and I hand you the rod to fight the fish from out side the boat:btu:

Tattoo
09-24-2003, 08:04 PM
ahh.......the old debate of boat fish vs. surf fish, just like which came first the chicken or the egg.:confused:

bud8fan
09-24-2003, 08:47 PM
Come on guys! I never said that it didnt count from the boat!

I just said that wire trolling doesnt give the fish much of a fighting chance!!!

Its a great accomplishment to catch a bass over 30# no matter how you do it. Its just my opinion that when your trolling wire you basically winch the fish in because there is another rod with $50- 100 worth of wire on it that you dont want to kink up so the boat keeps moving!
Correct me if I am wrong please?

I will fish out of a boat anytime I get the chance! But ask Macey how we do it. Just like you would from shore! Slinging eels.

Hey mike!! You try working in a manufacturing plant for 8hrs then work 4 hrs at a part time job, get to sleep at midnight only to get up at 7am to get your son to baseball practice, and tell me you wont be a little tired after fishing for 6 hrs?? :laughs:

Heck if I could afford to have a boat I would! Matter of fact I have my eye on a 21' Wellcraft that needs some TLC.

No hard feelings guys! But it sure was fun getting you all wound up!!!
:smash: :laughs:

fishaholic18
09-24-2003, 09:10 PM
What the h*ll's the matter with fishing wire? It's just an effective way of getting the bait into the strike zone[the bottom]. No different than using a downrigger, I don't have room for downriggers on my 20 footer so I use wire. And it works. so shame on me.:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Goose
09-24-2003, 11:20 PM
What did Charlie Cinto use to boat his? Shut Up :)

Got Stripers
09-25-2003, 04:32 AM
Greg, it's a good thing we stupid boaters can get out and luckily drift around or in your case troll around, with nice fish following apparently close at our heels. I know I'd be lost trying to figure out which rip, hole or seem to fish from shore, I'm just a stupid boater and I need easy fish.

You won't be offended if I pass on the trolling gear auction will you:), that's just too easy and although I live for easy fishing, I do need a hint of a challange. I've got two 50's from a boat and they were caught on live pogies to boot, damn if I'd only know then, I'd have not put in the time to be in the right place at the right time; bummer.

Tattoo
09-25-2003, 04:34 AM
Yeah but Tony Stetzko didn't.....:eek:

Touche!

SeaWolf
09-25-2003, 05:28 AM
the ol' boat vs. surf again. as some have said already, trolling wire or lead core on a stick that doesn't bend and a reel and more line than you can think is hardly a challenge. learning where and how to effectively and consistently troll is another matter. but still, hardly a challenge. casting and retrieving your offering on a rod similar in comparison to what we throw in the surf, but slightly shorter is a little more close of a comparison. but, again, boats have radar, sonar, fish finders, etc. in the surf, you need to find the fish by experience and some luck. catching and especially landing the fish is always a higher challenge in the surf. as the saying goes, a surf caught bass is twice the fish than from a boat. i do both, and would take a surf caught fish as a higher accomplishment.

Bliz
09-25-2003, 06:47 AM
As I said before...

Whether Boat or Beach... It's so satisfying to reel in one of these girls!...

My surf trophy will come sooner or later, but for now...

I'm loving the Fall Run!

If you were to ask me, I'd say that there are levels of skill & luck to each of the genres of fishing.

I've seen people take large from the Surf where there was absolutely no skill involved... just dumb luck... and on the other hand there are those like Iron Mike who do their homework & it pays off in spades!!!

There are also trollers out there who throw a line over the boat blindly like those who "shoot an arrow into the air... and where it lands, they know not where...."

Not every troller out there is walking around with 30+ lb Bass!!!

I personally can tell you that Greg is someone who by experience, knows where the big girls are, and he has put in his time & effort and it has paid off exponentially for him.

As far as I'm concerned, there is an element of luck involved no matter where or how one fishes since the bass do play a role in in the sport...

They've gotta be hungry!... And you have to be in the same spot!

Catching a 30+ Striper was an experience that nobody can ever take away from me, whether it "counts" to them or not...

I attribute this catch to the experience of a fine fisherman and a great friend!...

Greg is a prince of a guy, and one helluva fisherman!

If there are some of you out there that can't be happy for me because I was able to take a 30+ lb striper whether you think it "counts" or not not...

I say piss on ya!.... :D

I enjoyed it anyway!... :happy:

And again, I say thanks to Greg!...

There are few men out there who are like you!...

GBOUTDOORS
09-25-2003, 06:49 AM
Sorry Seawolf and Tattoo but that is such bull #^&#^&#^&#^& and you know it to knock down someone elses fish because they did not catch it (YOUR WAY) is just bull. Sorry we are not as holly as you are ( or are we just smarter at boat fishing than you?) everyone has ways they like to fish you like yours and I like mine. I have a 42# fish from the surf. Was it any better for me than a boat 42# no would I tell someone else that there fish was not as good as mine because of how he got it NO!!!!!!!!! As in my other post you guys have places you fish that others can not so if your big fish comes from one of these places please do not post it hear as its not as good as if you caught it say from Horseneck beach!! I saw a guy over to Westport the other day using a coke can as a reel. I would have to say that the 12" striper he caught on that rig is far better than anything you could show me here so I will bow to his being the better fisherman out of all of us. Now with that said I will go back to MY way of fishing that makes me happy and hope to be able to get someone else their biggest fish ever. To see the look on Don's face the other night was great. And if you ask him and others that have come out with me at times I don't fish as I just want to see them hooked up. That to me is GREAT fishing. And I am not looking for your approvale as to the way or place I fish the post was to get the pictures to Don and to tell him HE had caught a GREAT fish.

GBOUTDOORS
09-25-2003, 06:57 AM
Now with all that said can I get a few guys to sign up here to go out fishing with me next week? It will be in the boat and we will be using leadline and 9-er rigs. John is first as he asked last night.

#1 John

By the way if you don,t tell anyone how you got the 30# + fish we may catch and want to clame it as a beach fish be my guest, but I will not be part of it as I think any good fish is a good fish if its in YOUR EYES.

Krispy
09-25-2003, 08:12 AM
Bliz, I dont think any of the surf guys are trying to take your fishing aclompishment away from you. Its a nice fish!! And you should be proud of it.
Most of my local friends run boats, and I enjoy going out with them, as we usually catch something BuZzzzzZZzzzzZZZzzzz ;)
But I fish alone in the surf for real.
I dont think anyone could look me in the eye and say 2 fish same size and alls equal with a straight :laughs: face :confused:

Rappin Mikey
09-25-2003, 09:17 AM
When are you going out? I have plans to go out on the Hell Cat on Sunday, but I'd much rather be on a smaller boat with less tangles. Have you ever had someone as famous as me on your boat before? You'll be just like Mr. Macey.

ThrowingTimber
09-25-2003, 09:41 AM
Nice catch congrats:cheers:

JohnR
09-25-2003, 10:25 AM
Greg is a prince of a guy Sounds like your signing him up for queer eye on the straight guy :laughs:

Testosterone levels guys, we're here to fish not see whose is longer ... I think it is easy to argue the surf -v- boat thing on a very basic level - it's ALL good. Granted, fishing Beavertail on Korkers at night IS more challenging than pitching a live hering from a boat but chunking a frozen clam from a folding chair on a sandy beach is certainly not as challenging as chasing fish from a boat in the rip-rap.

It's ALL challenging and it's ALL rewarding and its what we all do. I used to think that fish from a boat didn't count either but I've learned that there are some sides of shore fishing that are both not challenging (and to me not rewarding) and don't get the juices flowing to me as "Surfcasting" and I've als learned that there are some sides of boating that require a lot more skill (and balls) than your average boater is willing of able to do. Ever want to be TRULY amazed at something, go out with Captain Chet some night when he runs the pigs.

Now, serious surfcasting is a bit more primal and exhilirating to me than hanging a chunk over the side while anchored, and if I had a choice, I'd rather have my "Fifty" come from the beach, but I'm not arguing. It's all good.

Oh yeh: "I saw a guy over to Westport the other day using a coke can as a reel. I would have to say that the 12" striper he caught on that rig is far better than anything you could show me here so I will bow to his being the better fisherman out of all of us." Last night I "reeled" a fish in by hand, about a 24" bass, after my line got sucked up in another guy's spool. So I brought this in by hand, couldn't even use the rod to do it. So I AM THE BALLS, I caught large schoolie from shore on essentially a handline, braid no less :laughs: http://www.striped-bass.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/moon.gif

Slipknot
09-25-2003, 10:27 AM
:wave: Greg, what night next week? :wavey:

Count or don't count, a fish is a fish. Do fly guys say fish not caught their way don't count? To each his own I say.

Bliz
09-25-2003, 10:34 AM
:laughs:

To each his own I guess!...

Funny how it is when you get two fishermen on a topic, you end up with at least three opinions! :laughs:

It's been alot of fun this season, and nothing can take away from that!...

As for signing Greg up for that show... :confused:

I have not seen it since I don't subscribe to cable...

mrmacey
09-25-2003, 10:40 AM
on this subject and my wife says congratulations don it counts and to everyone else get a life catching a fish is catching a fish!!!! lol!:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

chris L
09-25-2003, 10:44 AM
greg thats an inner city rod and reel combo ( can , line , sinker , hook and bait ).

what I want to know is how do fly guys hook flies without them flying away ? and what size line is appropriate for horse flys . Can you bet on horse flys at the track ( which ones get swatted by the horses tail ) ?

Id fish in or out of a toilet if it meant I catch fish .
I wont pee in your pool but will water your garden !

bloocrab
09-25-2003, 10:49 AM
Oh...the DRAMA - - :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

y'all should dress in drag :rolleyes:

chris L
09-25-2003, 10:50 AM
i dont even need a wig !

chris L
09-25-2003, 10:58 AM
have ridges !!!

Tattoo
09-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Do fly guys say fish not caught their way don't count?

Yes, yes they do.

Bliz
09-25-2003, 11:05 AM
Do they count if their waders don't stink?... :confused:

Slipknot
09-25-2003, 11:16 AM
The only fish that don't count are fish that are snagged on purpose or fish that are caught in a net.

BTW what's with the counting crap? fish don't count is right, they don't even speak so how can they do mathematics :p
Who's counting fish? I lose count after 8 or 10 anyway.

Mike, I knew the answer to that question before I typed it. I am not a purist by any means, I once tied a jig on my flyline and caught a bass :) ask GS

Tattoo
09-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Here's a question...and no one has to answer, just think about it.

Why are there boat divisions and shore divisions in tournaments?

Greg - Relax, have a cold adult beverage. You made a few assumptions back there, but who needs to argue. This debate has been going on since the first fish was caught.

One day you'll see the light and sell the boat. ;)

Slipknot
09-25-2003, 11:21 AM
The ASA has no shore division :(
wish they did.

Jenn
09-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Why are there boat divisions and shore divisions in tournaments?

There is a little tournament in these parts for largemouth....BOAT ONLY....shame because I got a nice little spot full of plump fish right from shore...:D

What was the question again?:eek: ;)

Tattoo
09-25-2003, 11:28 AM
Bruce,

The shop I hang at is well known for Saltwater FlyFishing. Some customers don't even want to hear about surfcasting.

I started saltwater fishing via fly many years ago ( i think I was 17 at the time )....way before the "movie". There will always be purists in one form or another, to each is own.

How does one cast a skin jig with a fly rod?

Krispy
09-25-2003, 11:29 AM
and ditch the livewell, GPS, fishfinder, downriggers, outriggers, multiple rods, CB's etc. We'll talk...

For the record, I enjoy fishing from a boat, and will be putting another one in the water next year

nightfighter
09-25-2003, 11:42 AM
Mr Speaker, I move to close this thread as it has clearly moved off topic...... and I'm not gonna dignify a stupid argument by taking sides. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FISHING, STUPID!And that's a nice fish.

Greg, I'll PM ya.

(really surprised at some old timers getting so bent outta shape over how a fish was caught. Not like they netted the friggin thing!)

hooked
09-25-2003, 11:56 AM
Nice fish. Congratulations on the catch.

Lucky you weren't on a kayak.

JohnR
09-25-2003, 11:57 AM
The ASA has no shore division
wish they did. Surfcasting doesn't sell ad space like Mercury Outboards & Fountain, et all... Why did SWS go from a balanced shore & boat maggie to a boat maggie? $$$$

GBOUTDOORS
09-25-2003, 12:16 PM
I am glade to see that this is all being taken the way it was meant as a good natured post. I am not going to take up knitting as I was told at Kmart last night that I can not use mono or braid as yarn and I have so much of it I think I will keep on fishing. Sorry guys but the next two weeks are out as I have been told by one of my customers that I have a all expense paid deer and bear hunt in Canada the next week and a half. As these are my best customers looks like I will have to go. Boy the things I will do just to keep a job.

Clammer
09-25-2003, 12:59 PM
Chit & I was going out to buy a trolling setup//////////////

& seeing that its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy =I guess I won,t need my d/f ,,Gps .. extra gas for searching, lure selection , etc, etc,

Nothing except @#$%^%% bluefish is easy=you need to know what your doing in any kind of fishing,
give credit were credit is due,,,,

Greg keep on trolling //keep on catching

;) :rolleyes: :laughs:

bud8fan
09-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Kudo's to Seawolfs comments!!

Hey wire trolling is just not my bag. Is there anything wrong with that?

Try your luck at catching 6-7lb American shad on a 5' ultra light with 4lb test! Takes alot of patience and skill?

I totally agree that anyone can get a wire line setup and go out there. But it takes skill to locate and figure out how to get them to hit. All I was saying was you really dont have to worry about having the fish break off and such when trolling wire.

Its all good!!!

Now lets all go out and get the big girls in whatever manner you like!!

I personally want to go jig some up with Slip!!!!! VERY VERY SOON!!!

Goose
09-25-2003, 05:02 PM
If I see any of you mugs throwin shads with 50# braid your gonna hear it .:laughs: Greg wanna borrow my blind fold.

Clammer
09-25-2003, 05:50 PM
Russ ,only on Bluefish=========:wall: :wall:

bud8fan
09-25-2003, 07:12 PM
Goose,

Now your gonna start something entirely different!!

Why do we use braid? For one its very amusing when your outcasting the guy next to you by 30yds and he has a 10' rod and your using a 7' rod!! Oh yeah and your throwing 1 oz and he is throwing 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not about having 50# test! Its about having a thin diameter line to increase your spool capacity and casting distance without sacrificing strength!
Thats why I use it!!

A caught fish is a caught fish no matter how its caught!! If that makes any sense!!

But you can only use M-80's on bluefish as per Clammer's orders!!!

:smash:

Scotch Bonnet
09-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Actually Clamdiggers very gentle with the Bluefish. The other night I saw him give one blue a nice "tour" around his boat. When the dust settled it looked like a mob hit. Something about " Motha@#%$^&*^%$#*&^%$$%^&*&*^%$##......ITS THE CURSE OF DEATH....@#$%^&*%$##%%%^^^&...........RUIN YOUR TACKLE........@#$%^$#@&**^%$$##%%^..........BLOODY UP THE BOAT...........@#$%^^&&***(&^%$$###@*&%^..........ITS THE CURSE OF DEATH......@$%&*^#@%$&&**!!!!!!!!"

Mike, next time we're TROLLING:laughs:

Clammer
09-25-2003, 08:49 PM
Chris, & you took that fish home/////////////:D

Megabyte
09-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Bluefish vs Clammer

My money's on Clammer

Goose
09-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Bud, just bustin your basketballs:D

MikeTLive
09-25-2003, 10:12 PM
So - I was on shore yesterday trying to cast to a school of line siders but I cannot reach them. If I toss my canoe onto the truck to help me get out a bit farther than my waders will let me reach,
do those fish count?
what if I swim out and use a hand line?

Wouldn't that be something!!!
waterskiing while pulled by a couple of Cows!!

vio
09-26-2003, 01:52 AM
Sounds like almost like the timber tossers vs. the bait soakers, and who is the real fishermen.

My great grandad used to troll for northern pike on the Conneticut River up in Vermont with a row boat, using a big red and white spoon tied to some green heavy braid/twine crap. The twine was coiled in the boat and he would let out 50 feet or so and hold it in his mouth while he rowed. When a fish hit he spat the line and left the oars in the locks while he hand lined the fish in. This is honest to god true. He was too poor to own proper gear and had inherited the boat from his father. This had to be at least 70-80 years ago. His largest fish caught was a 28lb Pike caught on a trolled handline that he held in his mouth. They ate the fish and mounted the head like a boar. I always wondered what the hell he would do if a big fish like that hit and he was a little too slow on spitting the line out.

Thats 'real' fishing to me :)

SeaWolf
09-26-2003, 06:10 AM
thanks for the reply, bud8.

gb - i never was trying to badmouth the accomplishment of the angler here. i was just trying to make a point of a topic that has been talked about for year - surf vs boat caught bass. i do both. i fish a lot on the boat from spring until late summer and do some in the fall. all fall and some spring-summer i'm in the surf. it's my passion. i enjoy the solitude, surf, shooting stars, quietness, and personal gratification of a surf caught fish. i've always looked at a surf caught bass as twice the fish as caught on the boat. many more obstacles to overcome and more knowledge is needed. when someone goes on a charter boat and catches a 50, is it really his? he just grabbed the rod. others that know where and how to effectively fish on their boat, more power to them. i hate trolling wire, but sometimes it is the only method that will produce. you're not going to cast and retrieve plugs on southwest reef or the race. you either trolling or drift w/ sticks that don't hardly bend. you hook up and you winch it in.

so, blitz, nice job on the fish. nothing against you. i was simply adding my opinion on a topic that was being talked about.

GBOUTDOORS
09-26-2003, 07:06 AM
Seawolf as you should have been able to tell by the smilies on a few of my posts I take this as a good natured topic. And welcome all comments on the way I like to fish no matter how wrong you may be:D The only thing that I DO NOT LIKE even in jest is for someone to knock anothers fish of a life time for them because it was not caught their favorite way. You never know how they may take it. I like to give credit where it is do and leave it at that. I have tried to make my life better by making others happy and so far this seems to work for me. I do know that a two sided comment is just that meant to give credit and then take it away. That said all you guys that are still fishing with rod and reel please do not post about your fish till you can fish with the soda can and sewing thread rig as this to me is a TRUE acomplashment.:smash: :smash:

Bliz
09-26-2003, 07:42 AM
No offence taken SeaWolf...

Hope to do some surf fishing next week since this weekend is so clogged up with work....

It's very difficult for Surf Anglers to find areas that aren't like fishing inside a herd of cattle...

What is irritating to me are those fishing primmadonna's out there who consider themselves to be in an elite class in a closed group because they have access to the private areas where nobody else can fish... they snub their noses and act like infants toward those whom they feel superior to...

Their accomplishments, although they may be great, are paled by those who are out on the canals and breechways who are not only proven anglers, but are willing to mentor those who desire to increase their knowledge or simply break into the sport...

Working class fishermen so to speak... they have my utmost respect as anglers... and as men.

Fishpart
09-26-2003, 07:54 AM
I used to subscribe to the surf is harder than the boat theory. It all boils down to THE SAME THING. You need to be able to identify the places that hold fish and that all comes with time on the water. Certainly with a boat you have the ability to cover more water and access areas you may not be able to trespass through to fish from shore, but you still need to find the fish and get them turned on.

I have had the pleasure of both catching and getting skunked with some very skilled fishermen both from shore and from boats. Bliz said it best, the knowledge that my S-B friends have shared with me is what I find most important.

RIJIMMY
09-26-2003, 09:16 AM
I don't believe I am elite, but I do believe I am part of an elite crowd. It takes a lot of personal and physical sacrifice to wake up at 1am, ice the eels, drive an hour, stumble through the darkness and fish. Ecspecially with a full time job and a family.
Once I get in the water I feel like I am trying to beat the clock, each minute one step closer to sunrise. As a surfcaster, my best bet to catch a good fish is in the dark or early light.
I have no bad feelings towards boat fisherman, I just think they can sleep later that I do. On the other hand, I do have some resentment to what I call the "popper brigade". Those are the guys that show up no earlier than 4:30am and immedialtly begin throwing poppers. They ask a million questions and never get the message.."fish at night", they expect the fish to be on their schedule hitting on their lures. My Dad always told me when it comes to fishing..'Do your homework". I don't think its fair to let others profit from my hard work.

RIJIMMY
09-26-2003, 09:36 AM
Perhaps I was misunderstood. Let me use another example. I have been playing guitar for 20 years. I play mostly jazz and play in a professional quartet. For years I have had aspiring musicians ask for advice, which I gladly give. The best advice I can give is...play for hours and hours and hours. there is no easy way, no shortcuts. Its commitment.
The same thing for surfcasting, There is no easy way. If you want fish, fish at night, fish hard, move often and fish whenever you can and as often as you can.

If you are not willing to make that effort, then be happy with the schoolies, occasional keeper and blues. I'm not being mean, its just a fact. I would glady take a newcomer, but they must first be willing to make the effort. I dont know of too many people (other than the crew here) willing to get up at 1am in the cold of Novmeber, hook a live eel and standing in the icy water for hours. to most, its not worth the effort. To me, its what the sport is all about.

RIJIMMY
09-26-2003, 09:59 AM
I dont keep my fish, I have $35 waders from Bass Pro Shops, a cheap raincoat which I wrap a piece of rope around to keep the water out, an Penn reel without a bail and a handful (less than 20) plugs and jigs.
I fish to be alone with nature, marvel at the power and beauty of the ocean and have a little time to call my own.
I fish, to catch fish. I enjoy the challenge, the risk and the rewards. I love looking at a fish once I catch it. I love the fight. I bend all my barbs on my hooks, I could care less when I lose a fish. I'll get 'em next time.

I'll shut up now.:smash:

SeaWolf
09-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by RIJIMMY
The same thing for surfcasting, There is no easy way. If you want fish, fish at night, fish hard, move often and fish whenever you can and as often as you can.

...finally, the word is getting out. yes, time on the water. you want to learn and get better, practice and in this sport you need to have a line in the water, not l#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g all day and asking 1000 questions. there are many, many magazines and books written that give great general and in depth details. it's one thing to ask about one's opinion on a reel or rod choice, but it's another to ask how to fish a spot. learn it yourself and you will have better self-gratification and respect from many.

gb - i understand where you are coming from and i do too give advice, to a degree. going with what i said above i see a lot of people browse these boards and they are very green and possibly just plain lazy. many anglers put countless hours into fishing and their information is well guarded as it should be. they paid their dues. when i post, i post from experiences i have learned and from my time talking to others, meeting others, listening to others, and giving that as another side of the story. so, as i stated before, i wasn't trying to give credit and then take it away. i was stating how the majority in this sport looked at that issue.

Rappin Mikey
09-26-2003, 11:21 AM
I still wanna go!!

Krispy
09-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Its funny you mention that Seawolf, since I drove up last night after work from SW Conn to fish RI until 3am in several different spots, and I think your truck maybe the only one I recognized, from a picture

RIJIMMY
09-26-2003, 11:49 AM
Krispy, did you catch anything? Not looking for specifics......
I'm heading down Sunday am...

Krispy
09-26-2003, 11:52 AM
Yes :faga: :rtfm:

Wow, some serious editing there MrM. Glad you reconsidered your stance and agree w/ our position

mrmacey
09-26-2003, 11:59 AM
:laughs: :happy:

RIJIMMY
09-26-2003, 12:00 PM
Now I look like a thread hog..talking to myself!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

mrmacey
09-26-2003, 12:03 PM
ri jimmy you want to go fish tonight on the boat!

Rappin Mikey
09-26-2003, 12:20 PM
I'm ri jimmy, and yes I would love to go.

mrmacey
09-26-2003, 12:22 PM
but if you wanna go call me 1 508 386 3932

mrmacey
09-26-2003, 12:26 PM
but Ill have my phone with me give me a call I got to get things ready when i come home ill charge the lights just in case

JHABS
09-26-2003, 12:33 PM
NICE FISH

Bliz
09-26-2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks John. :)

mrmacey
09-26-2003, 12:36 PM
no booze on my boat we are out there to fish and hunt a 50lber! plan on being out there probably till day light

SeaWolf
09-26-2003, 01:25 PM
krispy - fish_eye took the picture and posted it. i had to destroy his camera.

me, fishing at night? it's dark out at night. couldn't have been me.

Krispy
09-26-2003, 01:31 PM
Howd you do? I spent 2 slow hrs there and left to greener pastures

Canalman
09-26-2003, 04:32 PM
Good christ!!!! This post pissed me off so much that I'm gonna go start a fight with my girlfriend just so I don't have to wait for soweone to read and reply!

I am a pretty big surf snob but..... 30# is 30# and I do agree that it sweetens it a bit from the surf but is there anyone here who wouldn't take that fish from a boat?

I think we all need to take a deep breath.

Nice fish Bliz
Greg.... relax and catch your fish, who cares how or where. And if your ever hurtin for company PM me. ;)

-Dave