View Full Version : recipe for stripers on the grill?

Jamie M
09-23-2003, 08:54 AM
I thought I saw a thread of striper recipes recently, but my search didn't turn up anything..

Anyway, I have a charter trip coming up this Saturday. This morning, my wife mentioned that she'd like to have some striper for dinner Saturday night, so I plan to keep a fish. How do you guys like to cook your stripers on the grill? What marinades/seasonings do you like?

Any tips for a hack like me would be appreciated...

Jamie

JohnR
09-23-2003, 09:00 AM
Addict had a nice recipe here: http://www.striped-bass.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9700

And there are some more here: http://www.striped-bass.com/recipes.shtml

STEVE IN MASS
09-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Posted it a few times, but here ya go again:

Fillet your fish, leaving the skin on (your ganna have to scale it)

Mix together some good dijon mustard, mayo, olive oil, white wine, tarragon (dried or fresh), a splash or three of "What's this here sauce" and /or soy sauce, some garlic powder, and some "Old Bay" type seasoning to make a "Creamy Italian" type dressing....

Take your fillet, and cut a couple slits thru the skin side about 1/8" or so deep. Put it in a pyrex baking dish skin side up, and take some of the dressing and put it on the skin side, forcing some into the slits. Flip it over, pierce the fillet all over with a fork, and pour on the rest of the dressing.

Let marinade in the fridge for about an hour, up to three.

It's best if you have a fish basket for the grill.....heat up the grill and the basket. Use some of the marinade to grease up the basket or the grill grate so the fish won't stick.

Cook the fish for about 15 minutes or so (depending on thickness), turning 3 or 4 times turning the cooking, and brushing on the excess marinade before each turn.....

Yummy, and this works just as great with the hated bluefish ;) and weakfish as well......:)

BTW, keep the head and the frame, and clip out the gills.....clean out all the guts, throw it in a pot of water and simmer for 15-20 minutes.....you'll be amazed at all the extra meat you get to make a "striper" salad or fish cakes....not to mention an excellent fish stock for chowder.....

Disclaimer: Skip that last part if you are one of those toxins/PCB worrywarts.....:rolleyes:

Katie
09-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Okay heres mine

filet the bass and then wash it (of course) and then get lemon pepper seasoning. breadcrumbs. spread that on the top.then put butter on top like 3 or 4 tbspoons spaced on each peice if more than one or add how ever much butter you want on a bakeing sheet. no foil or wax paper.

then throw it in the oven at 350 degrees and about 15 to 20 minutes in the oven the fish should be a nice like brown color.

its good.:D :D :D :D :D

blackeye
09-23-2003, 04:58 PM
in balsamic vinegar and oregano for about 5 minutes-any longer and the taste is overpowering-slap on grill, flip once:D

macojoe
09-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Take your bass and filte, I like to cut out the dark meat when I do my filet, Put in Foil, with lemon pepper season, a little lemon juice,garlic, Onions Peppers wrap the foil tight and grill.

This thread is making me :drool:

Notaro
09-23-2003, 08:34 PM
got any fluke recipe? im dying to hear it, MJ

Joe
09-23-2003, 09:03 PM
The fish tastes a heck of a lot better if you scale it and leave the skin on....

:wave: Hi Jamie!

Katie
09-24-2003, 04:34 PM
yea for fluke same thing except a lil less lemon pepper or no lemon pepper

nightfighter
09-24-2003, 09:31 PM
Lemon, pesto, sliced peppers, grilled skin side down. A new twist I like.

nor-easter
09-24-2003, 11:07 PM
When you fillet or steak the fish rinse in ocean water. Never rinse Striped Bass in FRESH water until just before you prep it for cooking. The FRESH water reacts with the flesh of the Bass and begins to sour the flesh at once.
We freeze a lot of Bass and use it year round. One year I got stuck with almost 400 pounds of nice market fish (16 to 24 inches) because the price dropped to a nickel. I filleted them out and packaged and froze the whole lot. Our daughters still talk about "The Winter we lived on Bass.
I like it Fresh or Frozen, skinned, washed gently, pepper and salt and onto the grill, fat side down. When it is flakey remove and apply your favorite sauce and that is it.
We also do like the above several recipes with the marinades and sauces etc.
Try it in Marinara or your favorite red Pasta Sauce with Pasta.
Flaked in the sauce. Yummy.
It is a very versitil(sp) fish and will cook well in almost any recipe calling for white fish.
Makes great fish cakes, pancakes and salad as well as chowder.

macojoe
09-24-2003, 11:14 PM
You can do what ever you want with Fluke!! I deep fry it, bake, stuff,grill, ect...
But one my kids and I like is Microwave it. Thats right mic it!! I take a piece and I will season it with salt pepper , lemon amd mic it. Only takes abot 3 min. turn 1/2 way and you will love it. My kids like to crumbale chip's or deritos, any flavor will do. My son like bbq chips, daughter love sour cream chips.
Just crumble on to fish and mic. Try it You like it!!!

Notaro
09-25-2003, 09:45 AM
so i can crunch the chips into bits and use them to crumb the fluke for deepfrying? will a beer batter do well with it?

macojoe
09-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Try it you might like it!! How do you think thesse big time cooks make there food? They try all kinds of things. So give it a try you never no!!

chris L
09-25-2003, 10:53 AM
fire ! got to have heat .

MikeTLive
09-25-2003, 10:14 PM
How about those striper fish cakes from MSBA cook off?

nightfighter
09-07-2005, 06:08 AM
Bump!!!
Maybe we could compile and publish as a fundraiser for the site or the Gulf. Keep em coming please!

Roger
09-07-2005, 08:26 AM
I like the delicate flavor of striped bass so I avoid stong marinades that overpower the flavor. For grilling I make a marinade of olive oil, fresh basil, maybe some dill and cilantro (very little). A simpler way is to use regular Italian dressing as a marinade. I skin them and cut out the dark meat, marinate for about 10 minutes and grill.

NIB
09-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Thats how i like it dill cilantro Olive oil an the zest of a orange.wrapped in foil 5 mins. on the grill.then again i eat it allmost any ways trow in in a pot of tomato sauce an serve over linguini.Yummy.taost some breadcrumbs in a fry pan an sprinkle over it yummy.yummy.

Bass Babe
09-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Sarah's Sweet & Sour Striper
1. Fillet fish nicely (or massacre it, like I do), leaving skin, scales and everything on.
2. Rinse, and soak in ginger ale for at least a couple hours, if not overnite.
3. Put a piece of heavy duty foil over the grill bars of an unlit grill, and slap the fish down, skin/scales side down. No grease -- you want the fish to stick to the foil.
4. Mince/crush a half dozen springs of fresh mint. Rub the mint into the tops of the fillets. Fresh ground ginger can also be substituted if you feel like the fish may taste too toothpastey with mint or if you're feeling of the Asian persuasion.
5. Slice a lemon or two into 1/4 inch thick slices, and spread across the top of the fillets. Use the lemon nub ends to squeeze onto the fish.
6. Grill those biatches until they're done -- I never time my stuff. Either it's okay after I check a few times, or it's flaming because I've forgotten. So I hope you're good on timing!
7. Use a spatula to remove fish from foil -- stick it between the meat and the skin -- the meat should peel away quite nicely, with no need to skin or scale or anything.

When I made this, it went really well with steamed coconut rice, grilled corn on the cob, and mojitos. If you grill your corn, be sure to soak it in water for about 15 minutes and remove the silk, otherwise youll have an inferno on your hands, and the corn will be junk.

NIB
09-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Leavin skin on S-B is gross u gotta clean all the red meat off it or it taste's like POoo0.

Bass Babe
09-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Some prefer excrement flavor. Um, excellent flavor.

outfished
09-07-2005, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=nor-easter]When you fillet or steak the fish rinse in ocean water. Never rinse Striped Bass in FRESH water until just before you prep it for cooking. The FRESH water reacts with the flesh of the Bass and begins to sour the flesh at once.

I have a dumb question, please educate me on this. I agree rinsing your fish in salt water, just like it's better to boil your lobsters, etc. in salt water. But in Mass. don't you legally have to keep the fish whole while transporting back home, gutted of course?

Roger
09-07-2005, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=nor-easter]When you fillet or steak the fish rinse in ocean water. Never rinse Striped Bass in FRESH water until just before you prep it for cooking. The FRESH water reacts with the flesh of the Bass and begins to sour the flesh at once.

My experience is that freshwater is not a problem and is preferable to seawater. Seawater will make it salty, and pepper the flesh with all sorts of bacteria, reducing it's shelf life. Processing plants and local fishmarkets also use freshwater to rinse fillets.

J-golden
09-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Trust me with this:
Take your fillets, skinned, get a decent size sheet of tin foil (or sheets, depending on how much fish). Spray tin foil lightly with cooking spray/olive oil, put fillets in tin foil. next slice some limes up very thin, and spread on top of fillets. then, get fresh, if possible, pineapple, or chunks, and spread them on top of fillets too. do not pile the limes or pineapple on top, just spread them over the fish. then, a couple thin pads of butter, not that much, because you don't need it or the xtra fat (it also just makes more sauce, and you want to grill/steam, not boil). add black pepper, a little salt, and some mild spices lightly (parsley, basil, etc...). then put on the grill for 10 - 15 or until ready. awesome!!! eat up, or if you like, i make fish tacos by gettin gsoft tortillas, adding a little guacomole, lettuce, and a bit of fruit salsa like mango or pineapple.

enjoy!

p.s. wrap tin foil tight before puttin gon grill. :cheers:

Pt.JudeJoe
09-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Place striper filet on tin foil (or on romain lettuce on tin foil ,this prevents sticking) lemon juice , butter,whatever seasoning you like on fish, then spoon salsa over the filet and wrap foil closed. Grill until flakey.Yummy. You can even do this in the wild on a fire , if ya got a jar of salsa and some foil handy! :hihi:

janiejones
09-08-2005, 07:08 AM
:buds: