View Full Version : AquaSkinz jackets are AWESOME!!!

tlapinski
09-24-2003, 01:36 PM
well, i finally got my jacket last thursday. just in time for the hurricane. the jacket performed flawlessly! i was the only one i saw to stay dry and warm in the middle of all the rain, surf, and wind we had down in RI. i went with the heavy weight jacket, but i will be getting the lighter one for next summer. i really can't say enough good things, except that it has my endorsement to anyone looking for a kick butt surf jacket!

does anyone have a pic of what the hood looks like?

JohnR
09-24-2003, 01:56 PM
:D

The hood looks like something you'd rob a bank with but it sure is DRY... I got the thick one too for the Fall run. I'll get the lightweight job next year too....

bud8fan
09-24-2003, 03:27 PM
They sure look sweet but I am having a hard time justifying the argument I would get into with the wife for spending that kind of $$$

Anyone have any reports on the bronco jackets that are available for less than $100????

CSK
09-24-2003, 03:38 PM
The Bronco's are really warm, too warm for my tastes. I can pretty much only wear one with a light shirt underneath, and that's when it's pretty cold out.

chris L
09-24-2003, 03:56 PM
the bronco is good for laying in the snow .

RickBomba
09-24-2003, 11:39 PM
Yup,
My Aquaskinz rocks.
You guys should see all the graffiti I painted on it to boot.
Later,
Rick

JohnR
09-25-2003, 10:39 AM
Early last night when the waves were higher, I was down in the wet rocks trying to get a fish unstuck that was wedged in, I took a couple breaking waves over my back and waited for that deluge of cold water to come down my back - never did, not even a trickle... :btu:

I got the heavier jacket which would be hot in August but it was kicking ass last night.... Liking these Skinz!

chris L
09-25-2003, 10:46 AM
does it cover plumbers crack ? it must John you said you didnt get wet .

Krispy
09-25-2003, 10:46 AM
how long does it take to put on? and do you have any eyebrows left :laughs:

JohnR
09-25-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by chris L
does it cover plumbers crack ? it must John you said you didnt get wet . Why yes it does Hippe Freak :) ...

Originally posted by Krispy
how long does it take to put on? and do you have any eyebrows left :laughs: It doesn't take long to put on, even on my harbor seal-like body. And yes, I still have my eyebrows, just hold my breath at that point :laughs:

JHABS
09-26-2003, 07:59 PM
AQUASKINZZZZZZZ YES:happy:

BasicPatrick
09-28-2003, 12:42 AM
After seeing john R's this weekend I decided I need one ...now just to figure out how to pay for it

Bliz
09-30-2003, 10:42 AM
To what extent do they keep you dry?...

Has anyone been completely submerged by a breaker and remained dry?...

And are the hoods available for the lighter jackets?

fishweewee
09-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Don, I went for a "swim" when I got knocked off a rock at Beavertail a few weeks ago (the night before someone drowned the next morning). I was wearing my skinz, waders, and a surf belt (and pfd).

When I crawled out the only thing that was wet was my plug bag.

Well, okay, almost had to change my shorts too but it wasn't b/c of the aquaskinz... :p

On hot days you will feel a little damp from the retained perspiration, as they are not breathable. But you get the same problem with the Broncos.

-B

JHABS
09-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Yes you also can get a hood........AQUASKINZ You could use it in a BOAT to. Sorry thats a different thread.....:D

Bliz
09-30-2003, 11:49 AM
Thank God you weren't injured, or even killed!...

I am considering puchase, and was wondering just how waterproof these are...

Sounds like these keep pretty dry!

also looking to pick up a good PFD a well...

Bliz
09-30-2003, 11:53 AM
What range do the hoods run for John?...

tlapinski
09-30-2003, 11:57 AM
Bliz - in the hurricane last week, i was totally submerged and i came out totally dry! you can't imagine how well they work until you actually get out there and use it. i was amazed. now i don't know how i lived without it! oh yeah, i lived a wet and cold life in the surf. :rolleyes:

Bliz
09-30-2003, 12:08 PM
Wow!...

That's impressive!

I'll bet it gives you alot more comfort knowing that your waders won't take on water if you get pounded by a breaker!

That good eh?

Do you recommend the lighter version with more layers, or the heavier one due to the cooler temps?

bassmaster
09-30-2003, 12:14 PM
works for me , I stay dry

tlapinski
09-30-2003, 12:15 PM
well, i have the heavy version. it is VERY warm. i was wearing just the jacket and a t shirt this past weekend on the cape, and i was hot. i would rather be hot than cold while fishing, so it really didn't bother me. i always have a good supply of water with me when i am fishing so the sweating isn't so bad. i will be getting one of the lightweight jackets for next summer, but as of right now i can't say one is better than the other.

Bliz
09-30-2003, 12:22 PM
I'm more concerned about the restriction in motion than heat myself...

It's always good to remain warm in the water!

tlapinski
09-30-2003, 01:24 PM
i don't feel any more restricted in my movement than maybe if i was wearing a heavy sweatshirt. it isn't bulky. if you can find a shop with them both in stock, try them both on. i got mine on a sight unseen basis, as i needed it ASAP.

Bliz
09-30-2003, 02:00 PM
I'll have to make my way to the saltwater edge to check them out.

Thanks for the help Toby...

Thanks too to Ben!

tlapinski
09-30-2003, 02:33 PM
Bliz, last time i was in SWE they only had the lighter version. i got mine in CT. i think that Quaker Lane may have both models. they at least had the heavy weight when i called just before Isabel hit.

fishweewee
09-30-2003, 02:59 PM
A few things re: the lighter Evolution Drytop:

-The fit on the wrist collars is so snug (and there are two of them on each arm), I have to remove my watch before putting it on an taking if off. It's not so tight that it constricts circulation, however.

-The elastic waistband drawstring loop will get caught in your rod butt if you fish rockpiles with the rod butt between your legs. Kadir informed me that the drawstring is trimmable so that slack doesn't interfere with your fishing.

-In order to stay dry, it's best if the neoprene neck collar stays rolled up. If it gets rolled down, water can trickle down your neck. Kadir also told me that they made the neck collars long so that you can trim them down if necessary.

-I really like the belly pouch with velcro closure. Great place to store a small amount of line, leader or terminal tackle.

Bill L
09-30-2003, 07:14 PM
Bliz, I was in Quaker Lane today, they had one hurricane in XL, looked sweet. I usually need XXL for tops, but his looke like it would fit me. Wish I had the cake :(

Bliz
10-01-2003, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the info guys... I will likely have to shop around to find inventory with the Fall Run upon us...

JohnR
10-01-2003, 08:26 AM
What range do the hoods run for John?...

The hoods run all the way up to "XLarge Head" like myself :D

They are friekin' awesome. I got the hurricanes because I wanted them for fall and probably cod fishing too (partyboat or AVM). They are TOTALLY dry. A little restrictive on the neck (I have a size 18 neck and hate tight collars and ties :rocketem: ) but they are not uncomfortable at all. You'll know they are there for certain. But they are WARM and DRY!

I like them A LOT. As someone that only will allow sponsorship here for something I KNOW personally or that of someone's opinion I TRUST, I am actually discussing sponsorship with Alberto & Kadir about them here. The Skinz are that GOOD! I even put up there logo on the front page because I like the product!

JohnR
10-02-2003, 08:50 AM
They were good last night too :D

Bliz
10-02-2003, 10:03 AM
I am hoping to make purchase within a day or two if I can find the heavier jacket...

I normally wear a large shirt, and was wondering if I should size up on the heavier model?...

Krispy
10-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Salt water edge has both models in now

Bliz
10-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Yahoo!...

I'm off and running tomorrow night!

TBone
10-02-2003, 11:20 AM
Do the sizes run big? I'm 6'4'' 250 #...a buddy has the xl version and it was big on him...Just wondering if an xxl or xl would probably fit better.

Slipknot
10-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Tbone, I'm 6-1 and about 235 or so and the XXL is the one I got, it is the lightwieght model.

Mike P
10-02-2003, 12:14 PM
I go an inch taller and 10 lbs lighter---mine is XXL too.

Strongly suggest trying them on rather than buying blind.

Joe
10-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Just placed an order for both the Hurricane and Evolution
So, I guess I'll have them up for sale soon...
I don't know prices yet but they will be competitive.
Joe
http://surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/

fishweewee
10-02-2003, 02:06 PM
STOP STOCKING COOL STUFF JOE!!! I'M GOING BROKE AND THE MISSUS IS GONNA KILL ME! :D :laughs:

Joe
10-02-2003, 04:23 PM
:happy: I'm taking all the WeeWee's money!
No pity...you guys from CT all have good jobs...everyone from Rhody works in the fish stix factory
Getting Aquaskinz hoods too....
I also just got in replacement studs for korkers and those studded felts made by Korkers that you glue on....
Studded felts are the best things going.....
After your wife dumps you, you can come and live under my porch...I'll yell down fishing tips through the cracks, "WeeWee, Block Island turned on this week."

Joe
http://surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/
"Several years earlier, Lyons' wife had thrown him out...requesting that he never return."

Rock Hopper
10-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Wow guys what have I been missing:eek:

Thanks so much for the positive feedback, i can't tell you guys how good it makes me feel to know the AquaSkinz are being enjoyed by you guys!! A special thanks to JohnR is in order as well, thank you John for putting us up on your front page!!

T.Lapinski, very happy to hear the Skinz served you well with Isabell....they served me well to...I was crazy enough to venture to Montauk and try fishing....I did stay dry though:D

Weewee, what are you nuts:smash: How did that happen?? I am guessing you are okay...since you are still posting.

Now, I have to make a few suggestions. first, the neck seal is snug but not overly tight. We were concerned with this too when we designed them...that is why we used the smooth skin seal rather than a laytex seal (laytex chokes you). I don't recommend cutting the neck seal (weewee we had a miscommunication :eek: ) If you find it is too tight for you pull the neck seal down to your comfort zone and turn the inside out, about a 1/4 inch...it will still form a seal...if not just make minor adjustment. The best is to leave it as is though.

The jackets are cut very differently. The Evolution is cut to be true to size as it was intended to be a spring to early fall jacket...but a lot of guys love it too much to put it away:D in the fall. I recommend going up 1 size if you plan on using late into the season so that you can layer. The draw string can be trimmed back, leave it loose, see where it is, pull it tight and trim back and tie a a knot (albright works great :laughs: )

The Hurricane is cut large and also has a wading belt included (sewn on) you should stick to your size...some guys actually went down 1 size (me included). There is plenty of room here folks...don't bump up in size.

Both jackets are stocked to 3XL so no worries. For all you Mass guys, ask your local shops why they don't have them yet?? They are missing the party!

Well I think I went overboard (but stayed dry with my Skinz;) Any questions please feel free to contact me.

Thansk again all and cath'em up, this is the time baby!!

Kadir aka: Rock Hopper

fisherman jim
10-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Hey guys,,, real fisherman don't care about getting wet.

beachwalker
10-03-2003, 04:31 PM
And cold, grumpy ones go home....... :D

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Fish_Eye
10-03-2003, 06:08 PM
When I'm not wearing a total wetsuit and down with the fishes, I'm toasty dry and warm wearing my AquaSkinz jacket.

Nobody understands hypothermia better than a diver. You loose body heat 25 times faster in water than in air. I suffer when I dive for protracted periods during the late fall and winter.

I DON'T WANT TO SUFFER when I'm surf fishing. I love my Skinz and they do a fantastic job of keeping me warm and DRY.

Mike Laptew

JHABS
10-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Going to have to lock mine up, Jr. took my AQUAZKINS tonight.........:smash:

Rock Hopper
10-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Hello Fish-Eye, Can't agree with you more. Being a novice diver myself I know the feeling of being cold. Also, because I use a wet suit to fish the South Side of Montauk there is nothing worse than feeling like your body is giving out on you because of the cold. I wear my top over the wet suit as it is wind proof and does keep me very warm so that I can put in my desired time.

JohnH, I didn't know you and young lad were partners for the Skinz....;) We'll have to talk about this...:D

Hopefully we'll catch up next week....still working on putting together "Team AquaSkinz" for the charity tournament next week.

Tight Lines all!!

Kadir

bassmaster
10-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by JHABS
Going to have to lock mine up, Jr. took my AQUAZKINS tonight.........:smash:
Ha Ha:D

missing link
10-04-2003, 05:30 PM
my aquaskinzs are made by HEFTY cut 3 holes in 'em , must also have duct tape on hand, for the exact fit ,concerving on $ must but salted herring and mack's for drifting:D :laughs: :rolleyes: :eek: :cool: later L:INK

fishweewee
10-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Yesterday was the first time I tried my XL's on with fleece underneath. Worked perfectly in the cooler weather.

tlapinski
10-05-2003, 04:22 PM
i just picked up my Aquaskinz hat/top. Woo-Hoo! bring on the cold!

the woman said it looks like an S&M hood, though. :eek:

Bliz
10-06-2003, 06:58 AM
What does the hood look like?... :confused:

tlapinski
10-06-2003, 12:27 PM
i'll take a pic for you and post it this afternoon.

Bliz
10-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Great!

Thanks Toby.

JohnR
10-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Just an FYI, but the Aquaskinz Website (http://www.aquaskinz.com) is up and running. I was talking to Kadir Saturday and they are still getting it set up but it is now live....

chris L
10-06-2003, 01:22 PM
hey habs can I borrow your aqua skinz this weekend if you and your son arent using it ?

tlapinski
10-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Bliz - i didn't forget about the pic. my camera is not working for some reason. :confused: i will have it with me this weekend. will you be at the RI leg get together?

Bliz
10-08-2003, 01:15 PM
Thanks Toby.

I hope to attend the leg...