Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Quitting smoking? check in here (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=54161)

thefishingfreak 06-01-2012 02:37 PM

I bought myself a little boat

JohnR 06-01-2012 02:38 PM

I quit a while ago, before the holidays, and the number one reason I did poorly in the Portly Angler (I thought I could do both at the same time - what was I thinking :rotf2: ?).

I still steal one on occasion when alcohol is involved or when I feel like going Postal.

Grapenuts 06-01-2012 04:30 PM

saved money:confused:by not smoking....had to spend or the wife would smell it on me an she'd take it.

ThrowingTimber 06-01-2012 09:41 PM

11 months today :) crushing 20-25 miles a week running and my deadlift is 100 pounds more than my body weight... Its a start :):uhuh:

vineyardblues 06-04-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber (Post 942039)
11 months today :) crushing 20-25 miles a week running and my deadlift is 100 pounds more than my body weight... Its a start :):uhuh:

Look at you Vic :rotf2: Your a beast :rotf2:

Raven 06-04-2012 07:42 AM

going for strength or shape?

Raven 06-04-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishingfreak (Post 941997)
I bought myself a little boat

LITTLE? :rotf3:

thefishingfreak 12-31-2012 09:19 PM

BUMP!!
4 YEARS NOT SMOKING!! :musc:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

gone fishin 12-31-2012 09:43 PM

:jump:Congratulations Mike !!

WESTPORTMAFIA 12-31-2012 10:08 PM

6 days tomorrow without a drag

JohnR 12-31-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishingfreak (Post 977332)
BUMP!!
4 YEARS NOT SMOKING!! :musc:

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 977338)
6 days tomorrow without a drag

Great job guys!

Jackbass 01-01-2013 09:00 AM

I am getting the electric thing soon like this week and giving it hell. I smoke like its a job. Last time I quit I was in the gym everyday for two years almost. Now I am a tub. My dead lift is probably back around my body weight now. Sad.

Slingah 01-01-2013 10:02 AM

DO IT

3 years smoke free. :uhuh:

jredfly 01-01-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber (Post 942039)

The 20 to 25 miles per week is awesome, trying to do the same so I know what it takes.

Gave up the butts 21 years, 5 months, 15 days ago but whose counting.

Hardest thing I ever did in my life, makes me feel bad for anyone with an addiction.

I told my kids I used to smoke and you would have thought I had the plague - it is good that this generation thinks this way.

Keep it up TT, like I said you are doing awesome!!! :uhuh:

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-02-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackbass (Post 977368)
I am getting the electric thing soon like this week and giving it hell. I smoke like its a job. Last time I quit I was in the gym everyday for two years almost. Now I am a tub. My dead lift is probably back around my body weight now. Sad.

The electric thing sucks and just makes you want to smoke even more. The patch has been working great. No real cravings even when partying with smokers this past long weekend. Yesterday I went without a patch just to see and I didn't need a smoke. I did put one on this am just to be safe and follow the program. I tried the e smoke for #^&#^&#^&#^&zz and giggles a couple of months ago. All it did was prime me up while I was indoors to go out for the real thing. I have been smoking for 21 years and I'm only 34. What a shame!:smash: 7 days without a butt and I'm not missing it at all so far. Hopefully this is the end. I have no real cravings or reasons to smoke. Plus now I can smell it on other people and it's friggin HORRIBLE. That's how I smelled for more than half of my life:yak4:

Pete F. 01-02-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 941851)
I quit last year in the winter, not quite sure when. Maybe February. Smoked for 40 years. Smoked enough. Don't miss it anymore. Should have never started, waste of time and money.

Still not smokin'
And happy about it!

BigFish 01-02-2013 09:15 PM

Still never smoked....48 years and no intention of doing so!!!:rotf2:

Slingah 01-02-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 977660)
Still never smoked....48 years and no intention of doing so!!!:rotf2:

:smokin: :laughs: keep up the good work!

BigFish 01-02-2013 09:54 PM

:rotf2: Thanks Matt! Seriously folks you are all to be commended!!! Keep it up!!:uhuh:

ThrowingTimber 01-03-2013 10:21 AM

1 year this past August smoke free. Completed various 5k's, ran the 10 mile blessing of the fleet road race as well as the providence half marathon. Running 3 days a week and crossfitting 3. On week 5 of a 12 week endurance program. While everyone is relaxing now is the time to train hard!! I smoked from 15 yrs old to 33. Deadlift is currently 20 pounds shy of double my body weight.

Put your mind to it and you can do it! I'm in northern RI if any if you guys need anyone to run or walk with you etc let me know and maybe we work out a time! Stay on it guys! Keep up the good work!

ThrowingTimber 01-03-2013 10:33 AM

Looking back to the guys just quitting. Speaking for myself the stopping part if lighting up was hard. I got rid of all lighters, matches etc. I didn't do the when I finish this pack thing. I think I had just opened a fresh pack and I crushed it and tossed it. The most hardest part for me was my own excuses. "What a great cup of coffee" time for a smoke. "I can't believe that woman cut me off " time for a smoke... "It's 10:15am" time for a smoke. I'm pissed off, time for a smoke.. The excuses are what I had to be aware of so stay strong!

Get your vehicle detailed and interior cleaned to be smoke free! You'll love it!
Also give yourself rewards can be something simple/ easy but something you'll have for a while that you can look at and remember I got that for myself at week such and such or month such and such.

fishbones 01-03-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 977652)
. Plus now I can smell it on other people and it's friggin HORRIBLE. That's how I smelled for more than half of my life:yak4:

You still stink now, it's just the other smell isn't covered up by the smoke anymore.

Seriously, congrats on quitting, man. Your kid will appreciate the extra years you have to spend with him. :uhuh:

If you have any more of the Acid Dirt cigars, you can give them to me next week. You don't want to be tempted by having them around, lol.

RIJIMMY 01-03-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber (Post 977718)
Looking back to the guys just quitting. Speaking for myself the stopping part if lighting up was hard. I got rid of all lighters, matches etc. I didn't do the when I finish this pack thing. I think I had just opened a fresh pack and I crushed it and tossed it. The most hardest part for me was my own excuses. "What a great cup of coffee" time for a smoke. "I can't believe that woman cut me off " time for a smoke... "It's 10:15am" time for a smoke. I'm pissed off, time for a smoke.. The excuses are what I had to be aware of so stay strong!

Get your vehicle detailed and interior cleaned to be smoke free! You'll love it!
Also give yourself rewards can be something simple/ easy but something you'll have for a while that you can look at and remember I got that for myself at week such and such or month such and such.

thats awesome congrats on the accomplishment. Best of luck to all trying to quit. You will never regret that you quit but you will regret that you kept smoking.

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-03-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 977719)
You still stink now, it's just the other smell isn't covered up by the smoke anymore.

Seriously, congrats on quitting, man. Your kid will appreciate the extra years you have to spend with him. :uhuh:

If you have any more of the Acid Dirt cigars, you can give them to me next week. You don't want to be tempted by having them around, lol.

I have a humidor full of stuff in the basement but I haven't added water in years! Any way of reviving them?

Guppy 01-03-2013 01:23 PM

Finally got it licked!!! Quit several times over the past 5 yrs or so. It looks like this time it stuck,,, thank God.
Started the gym and patch every morning at 5:00 (except fishing days :-)) several months ago. Off the patch and still on the gym.

Don't ever give up trying,,, it can be done and the gym is fun,,, hey! that rhymes :)

Gup

fishbones 01-03-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 977750)
I have a humidor full of stuff in the basement but I haven't added water in years! Any way of reviving them?

If the wrappers are intact and they don't fall apart when you pick them up, they can be revived. They won't be perfect, but they'll be very smokable. There are a few ways of doing it, but I usually just humidify the heck out of them for a couple weeks.

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-03-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 977758)
If the wrappers are intact and they don't fall apart when you pick them up, they can be revived. They won't be perfect, but they'll be very smokable. There are a few ways of doing it, but I usually just humidify the heck out of them for a couple weeks.

I'll trade them for one of your famous reach arounds. Remind me and I'll bring them to Bob's

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-03-2013 02:58 PM

I might still have a bunch of Cuba in there also

fishbones 01-03-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 977777)
I'll trade them for one of your famous reach arounds. Remind me and I'll bring them to Bob's

You got it. And for the record, you would have got the reach around anyways. :rotf2:

thefishingfreak 01-03-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 977750)

Flush them down the crapper.