Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   GoPro Hints (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=77969)

PRBuzz 01-19-2013 09:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by blondterror (Post 980713)
Buzz... should you add a weighted keel on it to ensure it remains in the proper orientation?

I have 12oz of weights (3 x 4oz inline) siliconed into the inside of pipe which seems to define a bottom line orientation, not unlike filling a sailboat with rocks/lead. I still might have to put a keel-like spline though along the bottom?

I also changed out the ss eye (open gap) with a galv closed loop eye so the pulling cable attachment has no chance to slip through a gap. I hope to find a 2 - 2 1/2" x 3/8" ss closed loop eye bolt.

PRBuzz 01-19-2013 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Camera mounted using the GoPro wrist mount accessory and a platform constructed from a 4" gutter PVC adapter. Might run a safety cable from from front attachment site to the camera, just in case.

blondterror 01-19-2013 01:57 PM

12 oz of wts spread along the bottom should help a lot... Is this about 50 % the wt of the entire assembled dredge with the camera?... sailboat keels are usually about 40-50% of the wt of the entire boat... and you are not countering wind against the sails....

PRBuzz 01-19-2013 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The business end pulling using 7 strand 720lb test cable. Inline 24oz sinker.

Gonna R&D as is and have a couple ideas for keel and/or wings but I believe in the KISS principle first.

Just ordered some underwater lights for R&D....

thefishingfreak 01-19-2013 07:58 PM

Paint it like a big pogie.
Looks good looks like it'll work fine

In ready to throw my gopro on the trash I have literally rebuild 2 marine diesels in less time than have figured out how to edit video on this stoopid thing!
Redicilous. Definitely NOT plug n play. Update the camera update the pc, wrong frifgin program on and on and on nothing but failure. :smash: :wall:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRBuzz 01-19-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishingfreak (Post 980812)

I've already asked O.D. Mike to air brush it like a poagie! Thought about mac pattern but not quite right shape.

striperman36 01-19-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

In ready to throw my gopro on the trash I have literally rebuild 2 marine diesels in less time than have figured out how to edit video on this stoopid thing!
Redicilous. Definitely NOT plug n play. Update the camera update the pc, wrong frifgin program on and on and on nothing but failure. :smash: :wall:

I'll take it!

O.D. Mike 01-19-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

I had issues with mine, returned it.....

As for the marine diesels goes, you're an artist!!!

thefishingfreak 01-19-2013 09:16 PM

Phil i think u need to bullet nose the that thing or it'll wabble like mad

Mr. Sandman 01-22-2013 09:53 AM

looks very similar to the troll-pro i have. You will need a keel weight and some foam to keep it upright underway. Use a bunker spoon like weight externally and the foam inside

PRBuzz 01-22-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman (Post 981204)
looks very similar to the troll-pro i have. You will need a keel weight and some foam to keep it upright underway. Use a bunker spoon like weight externally and the foam inside

Was thinking about buying the trollpro but decided to try and build one on my own, for the fun. In the end I hope to have some accessories not found on the trollpro. Just hope it works, they said they did R&D for over 2yrs to get it to swim right.

Ian 02-15-2013 01:42 PM

Not sure if anyone is interested, but this is pretty cool...

Saltwater kayak fisherman: Modifying the GoPro Hero2 – night lighting

PRBuzz 03-14-2013 06:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got to do the first testing on the dredge prototypes yesterday, they seem to work OK! Generally trolling about 2-4mph depending upon wind direction. Was very cautious as didn't want to snag bottom but they seem to pull along pretty well. Shown in the pic are the 2 designs being tested.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps5f5a0ada.jpg

O.D. Mike 03-14-2013 06:53 AM

Looking good Buzz!!!

JohnnyD 03-25-2013 06:26 PM

Not exactly about the GoPro, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with the similar Contour or Contour2
Amazon.com: Contour ROAM2 Waterproof Video Camera (Black): Camera & Photo

About $100-200 cheaper and waterproof right out of the package.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Ian 03-25-2013 06:59 PM

There are countless youtube videos comparing all the different cameras. The gopro is also waterproof right out of the package (comes with the waterproof housing) and in my opinion has better video quality than every comparably "rev'd" contour out there.

Remember, the Hero 2 is 199 and the Hero 3 white is 199

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 991181)
Not exactly about the GoPro, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with the similar Contour or Contour2
Amazon.com: Contour ROAM2 Waterproof Video Camera (Black): Camera & Photo

About $100-200 cheaper and waterproof right out of the package.

Anyone have any experience with them?

PRBuzz 05-02-2013 03:53 PM

Spent about 45 min trolling the smaller dredge at 1.5-2mph today. Worked great actually and spent alot of time bouncing on the bottom. Some fish actually were attracted to the commotion. Here's a short teaser where I found a tog.

GoPro Dredge trolling: Tog found - YouTube

PRBuzz 05-02-2013 04:30 PM

Mr. Sandman: here's some extended video showing how resilient that PVC contraption is bouncing off rock and scraping bottom. I dragged it for almost an hour today and never ONCE got snagged, just kept bouncing off rocks. In some cases dragging the bottom attracted some fish, cunners?

Dragging the dredge - YouTube

PRBuzz 05-22-2013 06:23 PM

Trolled the GoPro dredge today and happened to catch this school of macs:

Mac school - YouTube

PRBuzz 05-28-2013 08:17 PM

Played at Race Pt today, found some stripers and lobsters:

GoPro Dredge stripers & lobster Race Pt MA 5.28.2013 - YouTube

(go to the youtube channel and watch in 1080P)

Mr. Sandman 05-29-2013 08:29 AM

Looking good! What model do you have? I am thinking about getting the latest gopro3 and dedicating my "older" unit to the stick for boatside video.

I started working on making an attachment so I can troll inside a hookless dredge but it has become a back burner task at the moment.

PRBuzz 05-29-2013 09:51 AM

I am all Hero2 with many back accessories. I haven't even tried to play with the wireless connect to the smartphone while on boat, it work fine on land.

I wish Hero2 and Hero3 stuff was interchangeable! You even need different battery paks.:smash:

Mr. Sandman 05-29-2013 12:21 PM

Are the mounts interchangeable?

PRBuzz 05-29-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman (Post 1000869)
Are the mounts interchangeable?

Don't know

PRBuzz 06-02-2013 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hoping to make the water less green, just installed a red filter into the dive house frame. there are several red filters which install over the housing lens but worried they would not stay while trolling, especially at >10k when I forget to pull in the dredge.

Got a red + ND filter for $15 from Ragecam via eBay. I think any piece of red mylar will work the same. Came with the hex tool to remove frame but that sucks as it strips easily.

PRBuzz 07-10-2013 07:07 AM

First video using the red filter. Dragged the dredge cam across Devil's Bridge.

http://youtu.be/WJxfBm-8_Z4

Make sure to select 1080P !

PRBuzz 08-02-2013 05:47 PM

More dragging across Devil's Bridge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnl1LFRm8rI

Scup, black sea bass and tog visualized!

tysdad115 08-02-2013 06:07 PM

That is cool, nice job Phil.

Mr. Sandman 08-04-2013 07:30 AM

love it! looks great!

JackK 08-14-2013 12:58 PM

Just splurged on a Hero3 black with a pile of accessories- chest/helmet mount, tripod, spare charger/battery and some solid 32 gb cards. Gotta love cash back rewards.

Need to finally get with the program on this fad!

Any other essential peripherals out there? Or just general tips for usage?