Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Plug Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=43281)

Slipknot 08-31-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportyguy33 (Post 521260)
The best plugs won't necessarily win. The only guys who would have a chance to win would be one of the the Good ole Boys.

you need to grow up

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportyguy33 (Post 521268)
Salty
If it ain't a Good Ole boys Club Then Why did My needlefish post get deleted? I don't Sell Needlefish?

I guess I need to send you a PM and explain why so you don't go off topic on this thread anymore. because if this keeps up I will just remove your posting priveledges if I can figure out how to, but that might be what you are looking for:huh:

The Dad Fisherman 08-31-2007 04:05 PM

I've never found this to be a "Good Ole Boy" atmosphere in here....everytime I've asked a question I got help.....and it always appreciated

numbskull 08-31-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagger (Post 521255)

Now back to "Plug of the Month"---"Plug of the Year" it should be self supporting .. Maybe auction off monthly winners to reward yearly winner.. To enter monthly you must be willing to part with your plug .. On these polls you can only vote once .. Plug of the year may also be displayed on the front page with bio on builder .. Whole goal is to get people posting pics again .. Other issues may also be a factor in that ..

I'm not sure this would accomplish what you want. Losing over and over will likely discourage some people......ask Flap:uhuh:. Adding money to it is also likely to end the fun pretty quick. Giving away your best plugs also wears thin at times. What might work better is for some of the guys who use the forum the most to each contribute a plug or two to be raffled or auctioned in the main forum. That money could the be split into quarters. One quarter to the site off the top. One quarter to a plug contributor picked at random. Next, the mods pick 10 plugs from all the plugs that are posted here (not the raffle plugs) over a time period (say 6mo to a year) and we vote on the best in 2 catagories......experienced builder and new builder. The winners get 1/4 of the raffle procceds each. I think that might encourage people to post their plugs without making it a direct competition. Enough people win to keep people happy, but without big money involved.

Another idea that I'd like to see is some sort of swap that encourages use of the plugs. For example everyone involved could be paired at random with some one else, make one plug to trade to the other guy, then you've got to go fish the plug you get (1 week window). Guy who gets the biggest fish on someone else's plug wins. The losers send all the plugs to him and he and the builder of the winning plug divide them up. Of course we might have to give a positive poundage to handicap whomever has to give Eddy their plug to fish....but it would probably work out seeing as Eddy's plugs work better than Eddy. Something to consider, anyways.

Another idea is a flavor of the month thread. Each month or two we all build one type of plug (say a needle) and post a picture. The viewing public can vote on a winner, the guy with the most wins at the end of the year gets some sort of small prize/recognition at the plugfest (the sillier the better).

Finally, I'd suggest we do away with mega swaps. This, I realize, may not be popular but I think it kills a lot of participation on the site. Guys end up building tedious numbers of one specific plug that takes all winter and keeps them from experimenting and posting different stuff. Difficult topic, since a lot of people have built up a big plug collections by participating in these swaps, and no one forces anybody to be involved in them, but I do feel their impact on the site deserves discussion.

numbskull 08-31-2007 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagger (Post 521271)
Not sure if I'm a Good Ole Boy .?

No, your "Good" days are long past, though you've got the "ole" part down pat I'd say. As for the "boy" part, well we'll take your word on that because we ain't got the gas mask we'd need to check.

justplugit 08-31-2007 04:28 PM

"good ole boy", that is plain BS and the the most unfair thing i've ever read on this forum. :af:

In my experience i have never felt anybody touting "i'm in the in crowd",

just talented people genuinely willing to help a struggling novice.

If anyone could be deemed an "outsider "it would be a guy from Joisey,
and i've never felt more welcomed anywhere .

Surf Hunter 08-31-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

=justplugit;521281
just talented people genuinely willing to help a struggling novice.
yup, nailed it right there.
As far as the plug of the month goes, I have a feeling I will just be giving away a lot of plugs, but i like pics so I am for what ever you guys decide!:kewl:

smitty919 08-31-2007 04:37 PM

what is going on this tread was a question about plugs and what not .
and you guys turning it around in to a fight:yak5: .
to tell ya the truth i find it silly if you dont like some one dont read his post.
move on to the topic at hand.

numbskull 08-31-2007 06:03 PM

Sporty, you've been building lures for a year and you are selling them already? That is a shortcut. Clearly you have much talent, and you should be justifiably proud of how far the quality of your plugs has come in the last year, but there is much more to a plug than a nice shape and paint job. Now I have no experience fishing your plugs, and I don't doubt they catch fish, probably better than mine:bc:, but when your motive for posting is partially financial (even if inadvertantly so) you should either be a sponsor (and help support the site) or go elsewhere, otherwise you are profiting off people who may not want to be used in that manner. Just the way it is. Please respect it.

numbskull 08-31-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 521276)
I'm not sure this would accomplish what you want. Losing over and over will likely discourage some people......ask Flap:uhuh:. Adding money to it is also likely to end the fun pretty quick. Giving away your best plugs also wears thin at times. What might work better is for some of the guys who use the forum the most to each contribute a plug or two to be raffled or auctioned in the main forum. That money could the be split into quarters. One quarter to the site off the top. One quarter to a plug contributor picked at random. Next, the mods pick 10 plugs from all the plugs that are posted here (not the raffle plugs) over a time period (say 6mo to a year) and we vote on the best in 2 catagories......experienced builder and new builder. The winners get 1/4 of the raffle procceds each. I think that might encourage people to post their plugs without making it a direct competition. Enough people win to keep people happy, but without big money involved.

Another idea that I'd like to see is some sort of swap that encourages use of the plugs. For example everyone involved could be paired at random with some one else, make one plug to trade to the other guy, then you've got to go fish the plug you get (1 week window). Guy who gets the biggest fish on someone else's plug wins. The losers send all the plugs to him and he and the builder of the winning plug divide them up. Of course we might have to give a positive poundage to handicap whomever has to give Eddy their plug to fish....but it would probably work out seeing as Eddy's plugs work better than Eddy. Something to consider, anyways.

Another idea is a flavor of the month thread. Each month or two we all build one type of plug (say a needle) and post a picture. The viewing public can vote on a winner, the guy with the most wins at the end of the year gets some sort of small prize/recognition at the plugfest (the sillier the better).

Finally, I'd suggest we do away with mega swaps. This, I realize, may not be popular but I think it kills a lot of participation on the site. Guys end up building tedious numbers of one specific plug that takes all winter and keeps them from experimenting and posting different stuff. Difficult topic, since a lot of people have built up a big plug collections by participating in these swaps, and no one forces anybody to be involved in them, but I do feel their impact on the site deserves discussion.

Bump......back to the topic.:read:

Jigman 08-31-2007 08:30 PM

I like Numbskull's idea above :kewl: Would keep things interesting.

Jigman

MAC 08-31-2007 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's your first entry. Guess who....

NIB 09-01-2007 03:34 AM

That looks like Taggers finger skin plug.

numbskull 09-01-2007 05:02 AM

To drive it through like that there must have been a fish on the other hook......which makes Eddy less likely although it still looks like his plug. Hope it missed the tendon (looks like it did), should probably be on antibiotics anyways with that close a puncture. A closed tendon sheath infection can get serious very quickly.

Tagger 09-01-2007 07:58 AM

My plug ,, my finger ..Great surgeon ... Thanks Mac .. Yes there was a 32" fish spinning to beat the band on that plug .. Skin plugs are slippery .. Slow night .... 4 guys fishing ,, 2 fish ,,, both on the skin plug ... they work ,, Just gotta fiqure a way to put a handle on it . didn't and doesn't hurt .. just suc it up and keep fishing .. Makes me think of getting my nose pierced .

Charleston 09-01-2007 08:17 AM

When this all started we were just a bunch of names on a computer screen.Then we started to do the Fest and Bash etc.
Now we are all friends enjoying one hell of a great hobby. Let's keep it that way.

JohnR 09-01-2007 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagger (Post 521393)
My plug ,, my finger ..Great surgeon ... Thanks Mac .. Yes there was a 32" fish spinning to beat the band on that plug .. Skin plugs are slippery .. Slow night .... 4 guys fishing ,, 2 fish ,,, both on the skin plug ... they work ,, Just gotta fiqure a way to put a handle on it . didn't and doesn't hurt .. just suc it up and keep fishing .. Makes me think of getting my nose pierced .

Use a lip grip or Boga - and now, a Tetanus Booster :shocked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charleston (Post 521398)
When this all started we were just a bunch of names on a computer screen.Then we started to do the Fest and Bash etc.
Now we are all friends enjoying one hell of a great hobby. Let's keep it that way.

Agree... Let's enjoy it. Less agenda and drama, more enjoyment, fishing, building, and friendships...

Backbeach Jake 09-01-2007 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC (Post 521352)

Damn! Right in the nose-picker, I woulda loaded my waders....
Add a fish to that, I scream like a 12 yo girl.......:exp:

Yeah, you're right, less drama more plug. Too much drama lately, too few plugs. Apologies to all, just rubbed a little raw lately.

justplugit 09-01-2007 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 521399)

Let's enjoy it. Less agenda and drama, more enjoyment, fishing, building, and friendships...

Ya, i agree, sorreee, prolly taking my frustrations out and seeing a little more red than usual lately.

stripercrazy 09-01-2007 09:28 AM

contest

I think a contest during the year is a great idea...winter/spring/summer/fall..maybe...every month may be hard for some..scott won the best plug last (fest/bash)winter, most people meet him for the first time that day...thats about as fair as it gets...a contest will keep people interested thru out the whole year...Ed I hope your finger's doing better:eek5:that looks nasty

Rockfish9 09-10-2007 12:22 PM

Quote:

Man that sure is ugly... hope all heals well....Been there done that.

I'm going to make a few quick comments, I'll be brief as possibe....

I joined this site last winter, I've been striper fishing longer than I care to admit and building plugs and lures almost as long, when I first started posting, I was treated with respect, I found the members here to be helpful to others and undrstanding to newbies that posted, sure some of the guy's were close, but that's to be expected, I went to plugfest( a virtual stranger to most ) and felt right at home,I met some great guy's and had some fun, I even won the most creative category, so IMHO I dont see the "good old boys tag", I dont post during the summer, I'm not building plugs, I dont do reports, and I'm too tired from fishing most nights to sit for too long at the PC, so I'm forced to work to stay awake!

Before we know it winter wil be here and plug making will be our only bass related entertainment , as far as my opinion on comercial builders, it's their choice, the ones I've seen here, have always been helpfull to others and IMHO desreve a right of passage.....

Sorry for the off topic comment, but I felt it might be good to hear from a "neutral" party...

Hope you all have a good fall run, the run has already srarted in the Mac, black Danny's at false dawn have been a hot ticket the last two morning for me....

ProfessorM 09-10-2007 12:41 PM

Ouch Ed that looks painful. Remind's me of work as we usually have one or so of those bleeders every few weeks, not hooks though. At least you weren't alone.

Flaptail 09-10-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Looks like a penis with hooks. Something they might sell in one of those wierd shops in P-Town. Ever heard of pliers? Sorry Eddy but that kind of thing can be avoided, ouch.

If you sell plugs you should be a sponsor and show your stuff in the sponsors forum. It's advertising and good business for you and the site. Now if you are a sponsor but want to share a building technique or new product for building then by all means it can go in the plug building forum.

I hate the idea of swaps, period. Especially mega swaps, take to much away from the site.

Numby, I am two years up on you at Plugfest and I am designing this coming years entry already, your toast.

Flaptail 09-10-2007 01:46 PM

Eddy, do you crimp your barbs? Can't understand not doing that, at least you would just have two little holes .

I crimp barbs on everything very rarely loose a fish.

Tagger 09-10-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaptail (Post 523756)
Eddy, do you crimp your barbs? Can't understand not doing that, at least you would just have two little holes .

Most my plugs I crimp the barbs .. Jigman spook is up to 220 fish largest 27 lbs. on crimped barbs .. Eelskin plug I considered it ,, then figured the fish I'm targeting with that plug I don't want to drop .. Even after my piercing ,, i'm still undecided .

ProfessorM 09-10-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaptail (Post 523755)

Numby, I am two years up on you at Plugfest and I am designing this coming years entry already, your toast.

You going to take that George. I hope not for the sake of all us short guys. The bigger they are the harder they fall.

numbskull 09-10-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaptail (Post 523756)

Or a bird, I might add.

ProfessorM 09-10-2007 04:14 PM

My 2 cents for what it is worth. I am for being able to sell up to 20 plugs via PM's to recoup material cost's. Not soliciting them thru PM's but if someone actually would be interested in something you make and asks you if they can buy one i see nothing wrong with that. A lot of times some guys who don't build plugs would like one. 20 would be my cut off total though. I realize that is not what the forum is about, selling plugs, but it would help guys doing it as it is not getting any cheaper. All the other ideas are great and would add to the site. I especially think helping out the beginners is the most important thing the forum should do and secondly it should be fun.

Woodbuster 09-10-2007 07:34 PM

1 - I crimp all my barbs mostly because they rip up the fish pretty good. Not having to go to the clinic or performing self-surgery is a very helpful side benifit. (1 occurence for me so far this year)

2- I like swaps. I'm not really understanding how they could hurt the forum but I'm open to hearing other opinions.

Maybe it would be good to have an ongoing trade thread were someone could post pics of some plugs that they made to trade with other builders. (Maybe that would just open another can of worms however:eek5:)

JohnR 09-12-2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 523801)
My 2 cents for what it is worth. I am for being able to sell up to 20 plugs via PM's to recoup material cost's. Not soliciting them thru PM's but if someone actually would be interested in something you make and asks you if they can buy one i see nothing wrong with that. A lot of times some guys who don't build plugs would like one. 20 would be my cut off total though. I realize that is not what the forum is about, selling plugs, but it would help guys doing it as it is not getting any cheaper. All the other ideas are great and would add to the site. I especially think helping out the beginners is the most important thing the forum should do and secondly it should be fun.

The big thing is how to do it legally - that's what I was looking into a little while back (haven't given up just lots of things going on at the moment). I do have something in the works for that provided I can dot the Ts and Cross the :eyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodbuster (Post 523913)
1 - I crimp all my barbs mostly because they rip up the fish pretty good. Not having to go to the clinic or performing self-surgery is a very helpful side benifit. (1 occurence for me so far this year)

2- I like swaps. I'm not really understanding how they could hurt the forum but I'm open to hearing other opinions.

Maybe it would be good to have an ongoing trade thread were someone could post pics of some plugs that they made to trade with other builders. (Maybe that would just open another can of worms however:eek5:)

Trading happens now a bit and between PlugFest, Pluggers Bash, and the shows - is their more ways to skin that cat? maybe...

ProfessorM 09-12-2007 02:17 PM

John I now we talked about that and it was probably not the right time to mention it after I thought about it. Like I said before the most important thing is helping out each other and beginners either with pictures or advise. I think you do a great job with it at this point and the other ideas are all good and will only add to the fun. It is sometimes hard to improve on something that is already top notch. P.