Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Beer & Beverage (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Your Top IPA's? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=71603)

Clogston29 10-27-2011 06:50 PM

Great divide Titan IPA is pretty good. Not over the top. Just a good, smooth, flavorful IPA. They have an imperial too but I haven't tried it yet.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bassballer 10-31-2011 09:22 AM

Has Stones for the first time the other day. Very good.

blondterror 10-31-2011 09:48 AM

Leviathan Imperial IPA by harpoon... just got a four pack recently and had one yesterday... very good.. alcohol 10%

Massive Hop profile dominates

The Dad Fisherman 10-31-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassballer (Post 897330)
Has Stones for the first time the other day. Very good.

Which one...Their Standard IPA or their Ruination IPA? Both Good....but if you haven't tried the Ruination IPA yet.....That one is probably my Favorite IPA :drool:

bassballer 10-31-2011 11:34 AM

It was their standard IPA.

Clogston29 11-13-2011 08:52 PM

Victory hop wallop is pretty damn good. Very drinkable for an abv of 8.5 too. Definitely up near the top of my list.

Finally had stone IPA and its one of the best, if not the best, I've had. I've had their rejuvenation IPA, but like the regular IPA much more.

The Dad Fisherman 11-14-2011 06:04 AM

Tried the Peak Organic IPA this past weekend...really good, very fresh tasting. made out of Portland ME

cow tamer 02-19-2012 10:14 AM

Magic Hat Seasonal IPA "Encore"

Nebe 02-19-2012 12:39 PM

Lagunitas IpA

flyvice11787 02-19-2012 06:04 PM

I been drinking a lot of Firestone's Union Jack. :drool:

spence 02-19-2012 06:21 PM

Firestone is impressive all around.

Clogston29 02-20-2012 07:43 AM

Steelhead Double India Pale Ale from Mad River Brewing Company is pretty good.

Mr. Sandman 02-20-2012 12:00 PM

I have never even heard of most of these...are these local micro brews? where can I buy bottles?

spence 02-20-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman (Post 921991)
I have never even heard of most of these...are these local micro brews? where can I buy bottles?

Package store.

The Dad Fisherman 02-20-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman (Post 921991)

One thing you can try....when you see a brew mentioned that you want to try, look up the brewers web page...lots of time they list the stores that carry their stuff.

I do it quite often when I'm looking for beers.

Its not 100% but it does work out the majority of the time

jon2465 02-21-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyvice11787 (Post 921879)
I been drinking a lot of Firestone's Union Jack. :drool:

love me some union jack:biglaugh: almost nugget nectar time

zimmy 02-23-2012 08:30 PM

It's a double, but Ghandi BOt is a masterpiece

Surf Caster 02-24-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 921813)
Lagunitas IpA

:buds:

BMEUPSCOTTY 05-28-2012 02:27 PM

a little over my head in this forum... I like beer, and I love IPA's, and I try a lot of different ones, but don't have the vocabulary to describe the taste... Lee's market here in Westport has quite a selection, and I'm betting I could find a lot of these brands in their "unchilled" display section, but since I tend to buy beer as I drink it I am usually pulling from the cooler. From that perspective, I will say my current favorite is Long Trail, and I also like Harpoon... I haven't tried any of those beers that come in a wine bottle.... got to find out what I'm missing one of these days. When I think about it, it's really because I never have the right "situation". (a nice setting, friends to share with etc.) My GF and I both work nights (for example, last night, tonight, and so on) so we never host and rarely attend any summer goodness. 95% of the beer I drink is at home, alone, at 8 in the morning...:wall:

flyvice11787 05-28-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMEUPSCOTTY (Post 941194)
a little over my head in this forum... I like beer, and I love IPA's, and I try a lot of different ones, but don't have the vocabulary to describe the taste... Lee's market here in Westport has quite a selection, and I'm betting I could find a lot of these brands in their "unchilled" display section, but since I tend to buy beer as I drink it I am usually pulling from the cooler. From that perspective, I will say my current favorite is Long Trail, and I also like Harpoon... I haven't tried any of those beers that come in a wine bottle.... got to find out what I'm missing one of these days. When I think about it, it's really because I never have the right "situation". (a nice setting, friends to share with etc.) My GF and I both work nights (for example, last night, tonight, and so on) so we never host and rarely attend any summer goodness. 95% of the beer I drink is at home, alone, at 8 in the morning...:wall:

Before you go buying the IPAs in the 750ml bottles, know that most of them are small batch or specialty IPAs, and are usually more "extreme" than most. Your best bet is to hit a good restaurant/bar with a lot of taps or an extensive bottle menu, and try a few different ones.

rphud 06-23-2012 06:56 AM

So, is it just me or does it seem like the left coast has a significant corner on the top American IPA brews? There are a few from here and there, but most seem to come from far far away, and can be hard and/or expensive to come by. Comes mostly from scanning the BA site.

Don't ask me what I have to spend to get a Blind Pig in the house.

Nebe 06-23-2012 09:55 AM

I had a hop czar IPA and a bridgeport IPA last night.. Both from Oregon. Way too bitter for my palette. Incan see why my friends out west thought harpoon IPA was a joke of an IPA. Once you accustom your tastes to monster IPA's, something like harpoon tastes like Budweiser.

Sea Dangles 06-23-2012 10:36 AM

The imperial ipa's are a little too much for me and I am a hop lover

The Dad Fisherman 06-23-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rphud (Post 945637)
Don't ask me what I have to spend to get a Blind Pig in the house.

Back in my Navy days it used to cost me anywhere from 8 to 10 White Russians...

JohnnySaxatilis 06-23-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rphud (Post 945637)
So, is it just me or does it seem like the left coast has a significant corner on the top American IPA brews?.

But Dogfishhead is from Delaware :uhuh:

I agree tho, they like em hoppy out there and there are some outstanding IPAs from cali

rphud 06-27-2012 08:48 PM

Spent the weekend and a couple extra enjoying DFH 90s at the request of my friend from Kansas that cannot get 'em there. Very good, and yes, they are from Delaware. Just an idle curiosity about more coming from the other coast. That and an ongoing quest to find a reasonable way to get them here. Maybe I can find someone that wants to trade 90's for Pigs.

Nice white russian bit there Kevin. Especially since I now work with a bunch of Ex-squids and get more "corrupted" by the week.

Nebe 06-27-2012 09:01 PM

Just had a Pliney The Elder IPA from Russian River.

Nothing compares. Nothing!!!!

MikeD 06-27-2012 09:31 PM

Pliny the elder is spoken about in hushed tones in beer halls around here. My buddy Bev is a beer freak and got me a bottle. It will blow your mind! Nebe doesnt lie. Really really hard to get though.

Maine Beer Co. Makes one called Lunch. Actually named after a whale that shows up every summer off the maine coast with a bite taken out of one of its fins. So they named it lunch, anyways, its absolutely amazing. Grab it if you see one of the not quite 22oz bottles with an unassuming white label.

I agree with a few of the other posters about the Stone Ruination. Really good if you like the high alcohol IPA's. they have it on draft at Sunset in Brighton. Watch out! go down a little too smooth on draft.

Nebe 06-27-2012 11:37 PM

I'm going to try to clone the Pliney. :)

flyvice11787 06-28-2012 12:41 AM

You guys in New England should make an effort to road trip to Vermont, and look for Heady Topper from the Alchemist ;). Just a suggestion.