Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   LL Bean (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93357)

bloocrab 02-12-2018 12:13 PM

Taking care of your gear goes a long way.
I think too many people are careless about how they treat their stuff, whether it's while they're using it, or how they clean and store it.
Lot a guys talk the talk...(about proper care of their gear)...but I think a good amount of folk, don't take the time, or make the time. Most people just aren't honest enough with themselves. (me included)

Rushing to bed, due to work in a couple of hours...and thinking that cleaning later on, after work...it'll all still be fine....or think, I'll be in em' again later, so no big deal...or just don't rinse enough in the right areas (been there, done that...but learned me lessonz$)

Boots have lasted me a lot longer due to adequate rinsing and being cognizant while in em'.
I've only had one pair fail within one season. They were cheap, so I wasn't surprised...some big-box store. But with the higher quality boots, I've had much success with proper care.
I've seen guys with loosely tied boots, dragging their feet on any surface, dirt path, asphalt, etc...and then before the season ends, they're complaining that the boots were junk? It doesn't work like that.
On the flip side, I know a guy who used to carry water bottles in the vehicle...as soon as he'd get back to the truck, he'd rinse all metals...eyelets, zippers, snaps, etc...

I wouldn't say I abused their policy with waders, but I definitely had no issues with returning them. Not surprised at all, that they're changing it either. If they made products that lasted forever, they'd be out of business....that thought process went out the window decades ago.

Pete F. 02-12-2018 12:38 PM

Maybe now they'll drop the price of their waders and boots. I'd assume returns were a significant percentage..............

Slipknot 02-12-2018 01:43 PM

same thing happened with Orvis
naturally I paid full price and then years later they did not honor the lifetime thing so I was out the shipping cost too.

Steve K 02-12-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1137109)
Good for them. It was just a matter of time before they changed this policy. People suck
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Agree totally. People have no shame. Costco is next..

HookLine&Sinker 02-12-2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5/0 (Post 1137133)
It took me years to buy thier waders bc I knew and was told they were lifetime warranties and also knew I would breach them,
Yeah I was old school and was a neoprene guy but, finally caved and bought my first pair back in 13 and felt guilty on the first leak bringing them back and getting a newer version of what I bought the previous year...

Any hoo, got a new pair every year at someone's expense and lost touch with reality,but deep down knowing nobody works for free.

I don't,do you?

I don't blame them at all,I'm a huge contributor / buyer of LL Bean. I still have jackets that are 20 YO and are up to snuff.

Yea I'm gonna miss that trade in of my waders, but the bottom line is being responsible for what we own and purchase.

5/0

Stop swinging and missing on fish and you wont have to worry about falling on your a$$ and putting holes in them : )

Rmarsh 02-13-2018 06:18 AM

They make their waders as cheaply as they possibly can, then promise customer satisfaction. I am not ashamed of expecting a product to perform the task that it is supposed to. I have my doubts about the quality control, and if they actually test them for leaks, because I've had some leak after being used only a few times.
I won't be buying from LLBean again.....and would have moved on after being dissatisfied with my original purchase, but their policy encouraged me to return them, when I was inclined to write them off and buy another brand.
Label inside explains a lot too.

Rmarsh 02-13-2018 07:07 AM

Next pair I buy, after my brand new "Made in China" beans start leaking, will be Simms.

https://youtu.be/s3D8cg1swhk?t=39

Nebe 02-13-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1137240)
Next pair I buy, after my brand new "Made in China" beans start leaking, will be Simms.

https://youtu.be/s3D8cg1swhk?t=39

I bought my Simms from........ wait for it........LL Bean I have had zero complaints with them. I’ll buy my next pair from them as well.

MAKAI 02-13-2018 09:36 AM

Nice looking Simms bootfoot for only a thousand bucks.

Rmarsh 02-14-2018 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1137243)
I bought my Simms from........ wait for it........LL Bean I have had zero complaints with them. I’ll buy my next pair from them as well.

I could be mistaken but I dont think LLBean is selling Simms waders anymore.

Nebe 02-14-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1137289)
I could be mistaken but I dont think LLBean is selling Simms waders anymore.

If that’s that is the case, it’s thanks to dirtbag fishermen who took advantage of this loophole of unlimited returns.

Steve K 02-14-2018 09:57 AM

I bought my Simms G3 waders from cabelas. When they leaked, cabelas gave me a credit and I bought a cheap pair of cabelas. The cabelas with the zipper have been great but they don’t make them anymore.

Sea Dangles 02-14-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1137301)
If that’s that is the case, it’s thanks to dirtbag fishermen who took advantage of this loophole of unlimited returns.

Are you sure about this?

Nebe 02-14-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1137303)
Are you sure about this?

I’m sure of one thing 100%. mant Many fishermen bought 1 pair of waders and would return them as soon as a leak occurred.
As far as Simms goes, no I am not sure, but common sense dictates cause and effect outcomes.

Ed B 02-14-2018 12:44 PM

There was a good article in the paper a week or so ago talking to this subject of LL Bean and the unlimited return policy and the inevitability of finally having to eliminate it. It was abuse across all their product lines and the stories and examples they cited were pretty crazy. People would scour yard sales and flea markets looking for LL Bean labels to return, kids in entire school systems in Maine would get the latest new backpacks every year just by turning in their old ones. The company president, LL Bean's grandson, donated a bunch of his own clothes to a goodwill type charity. He had his name written on the tags and found some of his stuff later returned to the store for gift cards. They had no choice but to change the policy. I think they mentioned something about a new 1 year policy now.

MAKAI 02-14-2018 04:09 PM

Guess it’s back to wearing rain pants and waterproof socks under my waders.

MakoMike 02-14-2018 04:19 PM

Just heard on the radio that someone in IL or IN just filed a class action lawsuit against them hoping to reinstate the policy, at least for past purchases. I can see a court affirming the lawsuit on the basis of a contractual commitment.

Guppy 02-18-2018 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't throw those boots out just yet!
Attachment 64968

Ya, I know, I need to work on my riveting skills

nightfighter 02-19-2018 08:10 AM

I think this is much more a statement about our society today than it is about a corporation and their decision to change a policy. The change was necessary because so many people cannot be trusted to DO THE RIGHT THING WHEN NO ONE IS WATCHING.......

5/0 02-19-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HookLine&Sinker (Post 1137219)
Stop swinging and missing on fish and you wont have to worry about falling on your a$$ and putting holes in them : )

Maybe a swing and a miss to you,but not stopping a fish after a minute and a spap happens.

Then retrieve and find out the brand new HD 6/0 snapped & not the knots...

The hook gave way not the knots, I still have that hook on my key ring.

5/0 02-21-2018 09:35 PM

Bump for HLS!