Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Garden variety (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=96283)

The Dad Fisherman 05-06-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1192480)
Yeah....
I lost some lettuce and broccoli with the weather a couple of weeks ago.. Agway sells some good stuff though for seedlings so Lettuce already 'replanted' even if I cheated.

Zuccini and cuc's are inside and will go outside in a few weeks....

Well, stranger things have happened, went out this AM to water the lettuce, and the peas had popped. Over 3 weeks later.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

RIROCKHOUND 05-06-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1192676)
Well, stranger things have happened, went out this AM to water the lettuce, and the peas had popped. Over 3 weeks later.

Nice.
Maybe a broccoli will surprise me but I doubt it....

Picked up some Ancho's at Agway today while mother's day shopping. Transplanted into larger pots, will hang inside till late May

RIROCKHOUND 05-09-2020 07:40 AM

You guys covering lettuce tonight? Granted I am south of some of you.... Basil and herb boxes brought in the garage already....

nightfighter 05-09-2020 08:42 AM

I am on second attempt with lettuce, though wife dumped enough seed in a 6x14 planter to raise a farm's worth... Beans and cukes have done the best so far. Peppers are ok, just smaller than I expected. Basil is clearly not a fast starter?

I have to add a few raised planters with critter protection figured into the design. Much will be on deck and front landing due to rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels among others. Will be looking to add individual tomato plants that have been started early in a greenhouse.

Sea Dangles 05-09-2020 10:26 AM

Peas,onions and spinach are fine. Asparagus gets stunted but I have picked twice already.

Funny story: a woman saw me with a fistful of asparagus and exclaimed Wow,already!
I told her I planted it three years ago and that this was my first harvest...

PaulS 05-16-2020 01:43 PM

my arugula is already bolting

RIROCKHOUND 09-18-2020 09:52 AM

Rockfish Joe... Q

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1190736)
Interesting idea Joe. I put in about 100 garlic, I ring my garden with them to help control some pests until I pull them, who knows if it helps. I hadn't thought to plant carrots at the same time.

Do you just plant seeds in october and mulch them like garlic?

OK Rockfish Joe....
You mentioned garlic, still a couple weeks away for me down here...
When do you plant your fall carrots? From seed?
How about shallots?
Thoughts?

nightfighter 09-18-2020 11:44 AM

What about harvesting your "crop"?....if you know what I mean. It is legal here in Mass. I received a clone from a client and it has been pretty fun first experience growing. Dr Who will be coming inside the garage the next two evenings as the temps are expected to dip below 40.

spence 09-18-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1200961)
What about harvesting your "crop"?....if you know what I mean. It is legal here in Mass. I received a clone from a client and it has been pretty fun first experience growing. Dr Who will be coming inside the garage the next two evenings as the temps are expected to dip below 40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TgTXYFHlfk

Higgie 09-18-2020 07:59 PM

Watch for powdery mildew infestations with dr who. One night without any breeze inside can cause a major outbreak. May or may not be speaking from experience nightfighter

nightfighter 09-19-2020 06:14 AM

Ahhh, that makes sense now. Always wondered why all the focus on the ventilation system when building these grow rooms.... Plumbing and running the lines, usually through a sill plate was usually the worst part of the builds. (not happening in my house, for the record)

PaulS 09-19-2020 11:19 AM

Ross is it commen up your way to share your garden bounty?

Rockfish9 09-19-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1200958)
OK Rockfish Joe....
You mentioned garlic, still a couple weeks away for me down here...
When do you plant your fall carrots? From seed?
How about shallots?
Thoughts?

Put them in 3 weeks ago, I plant carrots Nd beets ever 2 weeks all summer, we eat the beat greens, they taste like spinach but are less bitter and dont bolt or go too seed in warm weather, the trick to the carrots is to get them established when its warm,they slow down considerably one it gets cold.

nightfighter 09-19-2020 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1200996)
Ross is it commen up your way to share your garden bounty?

Yup. One time harvest that will be handled by the source of my plant... I finally quit cigarettes before my knee replacement surgery, so not going to even tempt that myself. Gummies, butter, and salves are a different story for me, however. Going to see how much comes out of it and let my son have first shot at it. If he says it is any good, I will certainly sprinkle the infield....face to face of course. It is a pretty complex, time sensitive process if you do any research on it. I did one plant this year, simply because I could. Has been fun, but also enough to have scratched that itch....

Nebe 09-19-2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1201026)
Yup. One time harvest that will be handled by the source of my plant... I finally quit cigarettes before my knee replacement surgery, so not going to even tempt that myself. Gummies, butter, and salves are a different story for me, however. Going to see how much comes out of it and let my son have first shot at it. If he says it is any good, I will certainly sprinkle the infield....face to face of course. It is a pretty complex, time sensitive process if you do any research on it. I did one plant this year, simply because I could. Has been fun, but also enough to have scratched that itch....

Bruh!!! That looks pretty nice to me.

RIROCKHOUND 09-21-2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfish9 (Post 1201012)
Put them in 3 weeks ago, I plant carrots Nd beets ever 2 weeks all summer, we eat the beat greens, they taste like spinach but are less bitter and dont bolt or go too seed in warm weather, the trick to the carrots is to get them established when its warm,they slow down considerably one it gets cold.

Thanks...
3 weeks before your garlic, I might be able to squeeze it in down in SW RI since I don't plant Garlic for another 3 weeks at least.
Now I need to find seeds....