Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Muzik (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   least favorite song of all time (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=67043)

The Dad Fisherman 11-02-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeal (Post 807369)
I won't smear Neil Young, his instrumentals are great but that guy's voice is nails on a chalkboard to me.

Ever notice that most of the Great Songwriters really have no business near a Microphone......

Neil Young
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
Tom Petty
Pete Townsend

To name a few....and I do like most of them...but sometimes....nails on a chalkboard

Rockport24 11-02-2010 03:52 PM

I agree and I'll take it a step further...this is gonna be very controversial, but I think Bob Dylan is probably THE MOST overrated performer ever. The guy is legitimately horrible.
Sure, he has written some good songs, but have you heard his version of watchtower? It's just terrible! If it wasn't for people like Hendrix to make his songs good, he would have faded away a long time ago!

At least Bruce rocks out and has energy and a great band, what does Dylan have, but a horrible voice, terrible guitar playing and harmonica playing that sounds like a dying cat?

Rockport24 11-02-2010 03:57 PM

oh yeah and anything by Elvis Costello also sucks the big one! he is also horribly overrated

The Dad Fisherman 11-03-2010 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockport24 (Post 807422)
oh yeah and anything by Elvis Costello also sucks the big one! he is also horribly overrated

I never want to fish with you again.....

The Dad Fisherman 11-03-2010 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockport24 (Post 807419)
I agree and I'll take it a step further...this is gonna be very controversial, but I think Bob Dylan is probably THE MOST overrated performer ever. The guy is legitimately horrible.
Sure, he has written some good songs, but have you heard his version of watchtower? It's just terrible! If it wasn't for people like Hendrix to make his songs good, he would have faded away a long time ago!

At least Bruce rocks out and has energy and a great band, what does Dylan have, but a horrible voice, terrible guitar playing and harmonica playing that sounds like a dying cat?

Hendrix really doesn't have any business near a microphone either....Don't get me wrong, their songwriting was their strong point....and I like a lot of Dylan's music just the way he plays it. Just not a singer...IMHO

Bruce is a great songwriter but If Bruce didn't have the "E" street Band......he'd be a lounge singer :hihi:

Raven 11-03-2010 07:12 AM

Bob's a poet with a Guitar - period...

he was sorta the first rapper in a way

he earned a good living doing it.

The Dad Fisherman 11-03-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 807540)
Bob's a poet with a Guitar - period...

Good analogy :kewl:

RIJIMMY 11-03-2010 09:57 AM

I like Hendrix's voice.

lets stick to songs. Seasons in the SUn is classic, definitely a puker.

Rockport24 11-03-2010 10:04 AM

I like a lot of Dylan's music if I want to take a nap! just soooooo boring

Rockport24 11-03-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 807521)
I never want to fish with you again.....

c'mon! you seriously like that "Alison" tune? It's such a whiney lame song!

HighTide 11-03-2010 10:27 AM

Dewey Cox went through a Dylan phase...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5x9pdInTU

The Dad Fisherman 11-03-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockport24 (Post 807577)
c'mon! you seriously like that "Alison" tune? It's such a whiney lame song!

Pump it up rocks
Everyday I write the Book is another great tune
Watching the detectives....a lot of good music..

Throw a few of your favs out here....I can dissect the best of them :devil:

FishermanTim 11-03-2010 03:26 PM

"Hail to the Chief" because of what will follow (or more readily WHO will follow).

(Maybe this should be in the political thread or maybe the Grumpage thread)

Slingah 11-03-2010 08:11 PM

here is a double header of make- me -wanna- puke

YouTube - Vanilla ice - Ice ice baby

YouTube - MC Hammer - Can't Touch This ***OFFICIAL***

Slammer223 11-03-2010 09:57 PM

Smokin In The Boys' Room
Hot Blooded
Cat Scratch Fever
Ball Room Blitz

spence 11-03-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockport24 (Post 807419)

Also regarded by many as the most influential music artist of the last 50 years.

Quote:

This is a classic. Please, read this again...

-spence

The Dad Fisherman 11-04-2010 05:05 AM

Youngsters Spence:hs: .....no respect for the guys that pioneered R&R :hihi:

Rockport24 11-19-2010 01:37 PM

sorry, I finally got around to following up on this debate.

I'll give you that Dylan is the main reason a lot of the best artists even got into music, so he deserves credit for that. I still think his own performances are horrible.

I get that you don't need to be the best techinal musician to be brilliant and influential, but there is a line where somebody is just unlistenable

Slingah 11-19-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockport24 (Post 812032)
sorry, I finally got around to following up on this debate.

I'll give you that Dylan is the main reason a lot of the best artists even got into music, so he deserves credit for that. I still think his own performances are horrible.

I get that you don't need to be the best techinal musician to be brilliant and influential, but there is a line where somebody is just unlistenable

I totally get this.....
I use to make fun of Dylan and had a pretty good impersonation of him down...I could not listen to him and that nasal wining that he calls singing...then one day I realized I liked him and now give him credit for the great songwriter he is.
I saw him once too....he sucked.:rotf2:

afterhours 11-21-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockport24 (Post 807422)

wow....olivers army, angels want to wear my red shoes, what's so funny about peace....

new jack 11-21-2010 10:27 PM

casey jones? the greatful dead. i hate them, phish too!!!!

Slipknot 11-21-2010 11:22 PM

I agree with the cheap trick I want you to want me :yak5:

also Sweet Caroline:wall:

and I could go the rest of my life without hearing born to run ever again, but I think Bruce was a fantastic live performer, kinda like janis joplin who also has no real voice just a lot of soul.

slow eddie 11-22-2010 12:29 PM

people, you have missed the worst song of all.
YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE..
for you younger guys, please do not listen to this.

Mike P 11-22-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slingah (Post 812039)
I totally get this.....
I use to make fun of Dylan and had a pretty good impersonation of him down...I could not listen to him and that nasal wining that he calls singing...then one day I realized I liked him and now give him credit for the great songwriter he is.
I saw him once too....he sucked.:rotf2:

The best way to listen to Dylan is when someone else (anyone else) covers his songs. :rotf2:

Even when that someone is Peter, Paul and Mary. :grins:

Rockport24 11-22-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 812632)
The best way to listen to Dylan is when someone else (anyone else) covers his songs. :rotf2:

Even when that someone is Peter, Paul and Mary. :grins:

THANK YOU! :grins: this is what I mean, it's not that he isn't "good", it's that he can't perform to save his life!

Pete F. 11-22-2010 03:07 PM

Danke Schoen sung by Wayne Newton

RIJIMMY 11-22-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 812651)

The only redeeming quality of that recording is wondering how the heck that is a man singing it! :uhuh:

RIJIMMY 11-22-2010 03:40 PM

And for the record, I agree that Dylan is overrated. he was in the right place at the right time, playing to the right people. There are other artists that are his contemporaries that are much better. I dont think if you went back in time and removed him from musical history that the music of the last 50 yrs would be much different. You cant say that about Elvis, Chuck Berry or even Hank Williams. I think the lyrics of the Beatles are much better and far reaching, never mind the instrumentation, harmonies, recording techniques that they did. Give me Woodie Guthrie over Dylan any day......

RIJIMMY 11-22-2010 03:43 PM

yawn..........

Bob Dylan has been described as one of the most
influential figures of the 20th century, musically and
culturally. Dylan was included in the Time 100: The Most
Important People of the Century where he was called
"master poet, caustic social critic and intrepid, guiding
spirit of the counterculture generation".

and the other side of the coin (which I agree with)

http://www.hobotrashcan.com/2008/09/...ted-bob-dylan/

chefchris401 11-22-2010 09:57 PM

Sweet Melissa

I cant stand any version of "sweet melissa" especially bad bar cover bands with 20 drunk women singing it reliving their "glory days".

Ive dated not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 different girls named melissa in a 4 year period, why I kept getting girls with that name is besides me, and everytime I was like "another girl named melissa?, oh this is going to end bad" but they were all hot and into me for some reason, so I went with it.

Now everytime I hear that song I want to hurt someone.

YouTube - Allman Brothers "Sweet Melissa" - acoustic/unplugged 1990 - Greg Allman & #^&#^&#^&#^&ey Betts

Slipknot 11-22-2010 10:39 PM

:rotf2:

my wife's name is Melissa:grins:

mosholu 11-23-2010 12:57 AM

Imagine by John Lennon. A wimpy tune to begin with that has been played so much it inspires the violence the song's trite lyrics were trying to stop.
There should be a rule that after a song is played x number of times of a given period it can not be played on the radio for a period of three years.

ProfessorM 11-23-2010 08:45 AM

hey jude ,can't stand that song goes on forever and ever

The Dad Fisherman 11-23-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 812651)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 812654)
The only redeeming quality of that recording is wondering how the heck that is a man singing it! :uhuh:

SAVE FERRIS!

Katie 11-23-2010 05:47 PM

Anything by Taylor Swift and Jimmy Buffet. :yak5:

Tagger 11-26-2010 08:32 AM

Tough to sit through Free Bird

stcroixman 11-26-2010 10:57 AM

Can't believe the Dylan bashing in this thread. Yes his voice isn't great. Yes his live performances can be sporadic - I've seen him 4 times and saw 2 good shows and 2 terrible shows.

But denying his influence on music history? Watch the PBS documentary of him including those live folk performances at Newport in the early 60's and listen to the lyrics. They do inspire.

He stirred up the youth in the early 60's and was not afraid to speak out. Listen to lyrics from The times they are a changin' or Chimes of Freedom.Listen to the Highway 61 album.

As Raven said he was the first rapper.