Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   What do you see happening to your healthcare costs in the next few years (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93699)

spence 05-15-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1142647)
Out of curiosity, what are you afraid would happen to you, exactly, if you just admitted what everybody knows, that Obama was wrong? That he was simply wrong? I don't think he lied, I think he genuinely believed that the ACA would bring costs down by $2500 a year, just as he said the stimulus plan would keep unemployment under 8% (it rose over 10%). But he was wrong.

There's no spin, no context, nothing immoral...these guys are charged with looking at the data to make predictions. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong (like Bush with WMDs).

I promise you, that if you said "Obama blew that one", nothing bad will happen to you, no harm will come to either you or Obama.

I don't think he blew either of them. The ACA was working as intended, if the conservative states would have embraced the exchanges it would have worked even better. We'd have a great platform to increase competition and get frivolous lawsuits into Federal courts...

As for the unemployment, again you're just reciting talking points. The Bush recession was deeper than projected. You're an actuarial Jim, you know that economic modeling isn't perfect and actual performance can't be measured until after it occurs.

What strikes me as odd is that you're still hung up on this stuff and ignoring the very real issues we have going on today. We have a President who's distancing our allies, pushing us closer to war, engaging in senseless trade policy and using the position to enrich himself.

But hey, you have a few extra dollars in your paycheck so it's all ok right?

spence 05-15-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1142657)
In Spenceland they are saving businesses money....yay

And that savings will be passed on to the consumers in the form of a price increase....yay again
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Well, no. Regardless Seattle does bring about an interesting situation. Successful businesses have driven housing costs through the roof and as a result the poor are increasingly homeless. What do you do about that?

Median home in Seattle is now 777k

spence 05-15-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1142661)
What strikes me as odd is that you're still hung up on this stuff and ignoring the very real issues we have going on today. We have a President who's distancing our allies, pushing us closer to war, engaging in senseless trade policy and using the position to enrich himself.

Haha, forgot Russia.

The Dad Fisherman 05-15-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1142662)
Well, no. Regardless Seattle does bring about an interesting situation. Successful businesses have driven housing costs through the roof and as a result the poor are increasingly homeless. What do you do about that?

I can't afford a house in Boston, you know what I do......I don't live in Boston.

and that comment has nothing to do with the take on Spencenomics.

and the minimum wage in Seattle is that Utopian $15 an hour that was supposed to fix all financial ills, why isn't it working?

scottw 05-15-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1142662)
Successful businesses have driven housing costs through the roof and as a result the poor are increasingly homeless. What do you do about that?

rich liberals should adopt the homeless

spence 05-15-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1142665)
I can't afford a house in Boston, you know what I do......I don't live in Boston.

Yes, because most homeless are in control of their situation.

scottw 05-15-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1142655)
It's really hard to get a straight answer around here. it was a pretty straight answer...what did you not understand?Does your answer mean you would like to not need insurance didn't say that, or is it some imaginary competitive price
are competitive prices imaginary?
Healthcare costs per capita in developed nations including public funds average around $5000 per year, we pay twice that of which over $4000 is public funds. So my answer of $1000 to your question is actually a total cost of $5000 one way or another. Switzerland has a competitive system (private insurance) and they come closest to our costs, but because they also have some government controls are less expensive.we have no government controls?
Here is the question in case you forgot.
How much do you guess you would have to pay for an insurance policy that paid for all the things needed for you to live a reasonable life?

so you'd like the public to give you $4000 per year for your healthcare?

Pete F. 05-15-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1142668)

We here in the USA currently pay more than 4K per capita for healthcare with tax dollars.
I just want our total expenditures per capita to be in the middle of comparable countries
Not 30% more than the next highest.
I think tax deductions do not count in those numbers but are also a real cost

Pete F. 05-15-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1142668)

And you still can’t answer the question

The Dad Fisherman 05-15-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1142667)
Yes, because most homeless are in control of their situation.

So then why bring up a median house price of $770k....would the homeless be better off if the median house price were $350k, that they could swing?

scottw 05-15-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1142673)
And you still can’t answer the question

I don't believe that there is some fixed monthly/yearly number that everyone should pay for their healthcare....you were asked because you seem to think that there is.....

scottw 05-15-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1142672)

I just want our total expenditures per capita to be in the middle of comparable countries

why?

scottw 05-15-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1142661)

I don't think he blew either of them.

that was pretty funny

As for the unemployment, again you're just reciting talking points.

Spence...you are the KING of reciting talking points

We have a President who's distancing our allies, pushing us closer to war, engaging in senseless trade policy and using the position to enrich himself.

started drinking this early?

But hey, you have a few extra dollars in your paycheck so it's all ok right?

he should just mail it to Pete for his healthcare

Pete F. 05-15-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1142675)
I don't believe that there is some fixed monthly/yearly number that everyone should pay for their healthcare....you were asked because you seem to think that there is.....

That's because you are not old enough to need it.
Your time will come:D

Pete F. 05-15-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1142675)

Do you think a total free market system would produce what you want?
Would you eliminate all controls and supports?
Do you think health insurance is unnecessary?
Would healthcare providers need to be certified in any way?
Are we getting rid of lawyers also?
Would health care providers do a credit check before performing any services? "He's broke, toss him out the door"
Who would pick up the bodies?
How much do you think it would cost per capita for your idea of healthcare?

spence 05-15-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1142674)
So then why bring up a median house price of $770k....would the homeless be better off if the median house price were $350k, that they could swing?

Because the rapid gentrification pushes people down with no where to go. It's not the only reason but it's a big part.

detbuch 05-15-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1142655)
It's really hard to get a straight answer around here. Does your answer mean you would like to not need insurance, or is it some imaginary competitive price?

I would like to not need insurance. I would like to pay an actually competitive price. Both of those likes require an actually free market.

But, since we live in a highly regulated market, the notion of "price" is degraded more akin to a tax rather than being a competitive marker for self regulation as used in free market business models. In our current politically driven system, price is driven by regulatory costs and political wish fulfilments.

And we have made even our regulated, political system worse by centralizing control in a national system rather than dispersing it to competitive state models.

Healthcare costs per capita in developed nations including public funds average around $5000 per year, we pay twice that of which over $4000 is public funds. So my answer of $1000 to your question is actually a total cost of $5000 one way or another.

Comparisons to other countries is not useful if all the differing factors which make up the unique character of each country are not part of the calculation. We are larger than most countries. We are more significantly affected by cultural and racial differences. We have far more open borders. We have greater economic disparities and different ways per locality to deal with them. Almost everything here costs more for varying reasons . . . just for starters . . .

Switzerland has a competitive system (private insurance) and they come closest to our costs, but because they also have some government controls are less expensive.

Switzerland's population is less than that of New York city. It is fairly racially and culturally homogenous. Political differences are not as diverse and polemical as ours. Negative social factors such as crime and poverty are far less consequential. Its population, business entities, and government don't have to fund the various researches required to create new technologies and cures, etc. . . . Yet it can tap into the productions and creations of countries such as the U.S.

Its privatized health care system is good and far less politically messed with than ours, and would be a kind of model for us even without a mandate--as expressed by the Forbes article I posted in your "Let's discuss something really simple, Health Care" thread.

Here is the question in case you forgot.
How much do you guess you would have to pay for an insurance policy that paid for all the things needed for you to live a reasonable life?

I knew you referred to Health Care when you said "all the things needed for a reasonable life." But my question actually referred to ALL the things you would need for you to live a reasonable life--food, shelter, clothing, transportation, leisure activity, and so forth. ALL those things impact overall health. Some are even more fundamental to life than health care, and most are in more constant demand than health care.

Why do we want to insure health care over those other things? Cost? Isn't the cost of health care made more expensive when it is insured by a third party such as wealthy insurance companies or the government--especially when that third party becomes more and more universal? Aren't the cost of ALL those other things made more affordable because they are not universally paid for by a rich third party? How much would you have to pay an insurance company or the government so that either would in turn pay for ALL those other things you need to live a reasonable life? Is health care really that different?

And if some procedure is so rare that the cost to provide it is prohibitive, perhaps each individual state, by vote, could create state clinics to make the service available to its people.

Getting the federal government out of it would be a first step to lowering costs, in my opinion. I think it would be more financially feasible to have 50 "Switzerlands" than one behemoth, overspending, and dictatorial State.

Pete F. 05-15-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1142681)
I knew you referred to Health Care when you said "all the things needed for a reasonable life." But my question actually referred to ALL the things you would need for you to live a reasonable life--food, shelter, clothing, transportation, leisure activity, and so forth. ALL those things impact overall health. Some are even more fundamental to life than health care, and most are in more constant demand than health care.

Why do we want to insure health care over those other things? Cost? Isn't the cost of health care made more expensive when it is insured by a third party such as wealthy insurance companies or the government--especially when that third party becomes more and more universal? Aren't the cost of ALL those other things made more affordable because they are not universally paid for by a rich third party? How much would you have to pay an insurance company or the government so that either would in turn pay for ALL those other things you need to live a reasonable life? Is health care really that different?

And if some procedure is so rare that the cost to provide it is prohibitive, perhaps each individual state, by vote, could create state clinics to make the service available to its people.

Getting the federal government out of it would be a first step to lowering costs, in my opinion. I think it would be more financially feasible to have 50 "Switzerlands" than one behemoth, overspending, and dictatorial State.

You only missed a couple questions on my last post
Would health care providers do a credit check before performing any services? "He's broke, toss him out the door"

scottw 05-15-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1142679)

are you and Spence drinking together today?:cheers2:

detbuch 05-15-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1142682)
You only missed a couple questions on my last post

Yes.

Our government's duty toward a free market is to ensure its freedom by prosecuting practices that corrupt and strangle market freedom. Other "controls" and "supports" tend to capture the market into a governmental or political system wherein the government more uniformly directs the market rather than protecting it, and thereby diminishes the competitive nature of a free market needed to make price a signal to manage costs rather than just a form of tax which raises costs.

Insurance is not necessary. But it is a useful commodity for the buyer if it gives him an advantage over those who are uninsured, and, especially if, it does not artificially drive up cost. That is, when the cost of care is determined by individual consumers' ability to pay, then collective insurance costs and premiums are affordable. If too many people are "insured," then health care provider costs will reflect the insurance company's (or the government's) ability to pay rather than the individual out of pocket ability to pay. In which case the price for care would eventually rise beyond the individual's ability to pay out of pocket (or credit). And would keep on rising as government continued to try to regulate the system with new controls which tried to keep costs down.

In effect, there is the paradox that insurance is useful when it provides an advantage. But it becomes onerous when everybody is insured. First, it is no longer an advantage because everyone else has it. Second, because costs rise significantly when they are based on government's and or corporations' ability to pay rather than individual ability to do so. And third, government reaction to rising costs is to regulate the health care market, which raises costs, which inspires new regulations, and continues in a spiral of continuing rise in the cost of health care.

A market is not free if the trade is not fair. A seller taking good money for service not worth the money, or worse, is physically harmful to the buyer, is a coercive tactic. A useful function of government is to assure that the market is free of corruptive and coercive tactics.

Why?

If someone could afford to pay high insurance premiums, he would probably be able to pass a credit check. For those who are that poor we've always had charities and pro-bono services. Large charitable organizations used to be on file with hospitals to pay for needy cases. State services have always existed to assist the poor. This goes continuously all the way back to the colonial days when the truly needy were given sustenance.

You could if you care so much.

A lot less than it does with our current system.

Pete F. 05-15-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1142685)
A lot less than it does with our current system.

Can you point out a working example of the system you propose?

Pete F. 05-15-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1142683)
are you and Spence drinking together today?:cheers2:

I thought you and Detbuch were, you each keep replying to posts to the other one. I was cutting you some slack assuming you were daydrinking.

detbuch 05-15-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1142686)
Can you point out a working example of the system you propose?

I'm not proposing a system. I'm proposing that the federal government significantly get out of health care. I'm proposing that the individual states create whatever regulations are needed, and that those regulations protect a free market in health care.

Can you point out an example of what you think I propose doesn't work?

detbuch 05-15-2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1142680)
Because the rapid gentrification pushes people down with no where to go. It's not the only reason but it's a big part.

Why on earth are you worried about the homeless in Seattle? Seattle is a very Progressive city. No way that homelessness will exist there. The supposedly homeless in Seattle should be asked "How is your life suffering because of progressive policy?"

Jim in CT 05-15-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1142697)
Why on earth are you worried about the homeless in Seattle? Seattle is a very Progressive city. No way that homelessness will exist there. The supposedly homeless in Seattle should be asked "How is your life suffering because of progressive policy?"

The progressive liberal utopia of Connecticut, is also an epicenter of income inequality, where the zillionaires of Westport and Greenwich live next-door to unimaginable poverty in Bridgeport.

PaulS 05-16-2018 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1142704)
The progressive liberal utopia of Connecticut, is also an epicenter of income inequality, where the zillionaires of Westport and Greenwich live next-door to unimaginable poverty in Bridgeport.

Still far far better than all those conserv. states where they can't even pay their teachers decent salaries and have to have high school grads teach school.

Pete F. 05-16-2018 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1142694)
I'm not proposing a system. I'm proposing that the federal government significantly get out of health care. I'm proposing that the individual states create whatever regulations are needed, and that those regulations protect a free market in health care.

Can you point out an example of what you think I propose doesn't work?

Apparently, no country is foolish enough to try it.

Jim in CT 05-16-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1142711)
Still far far better than all those conserv. states where they can't even pay their teachers decent salaries and have to have high school grads teach school.

I doubt that income inequality is better in those states. We weren't talking about average income, or teacher income, we were talking about income inequality. That is a huge issue in CT, because it's a byproduct of hard-core liberalism.

High school grads teaching school? Where is that?

One conservative state that people are moving to in huge numbers is NC. They pay their teachers poorly, which is one reason why taxes are low. But they still get people to apply for teaching jobs, and if you do 5 minutes of research before deciding what town to live in, you can get great public schools.

Paul, here in CT we pay teachers very well (despite what they claim), and we give them insane benefits (despite what they claim). There is an upside to that, sure, as talent often goes where the money is. There is also a downside (in addition to the cost). You can run the risk of drawing people to the profession who are only attracted by the pay, benefits, and time off. That is not a profession where you want people who are only casually interested in the underlying work. You need people who are answering a call to teach.

When I was a student in public schools in CT, teacher pay was barely above poverty. Yet we got great, certified teachers, not high school grads. Then I went to a Catholic high school, where teachers were paid even less. Again, I had amazing teachers. It's a total fallacy to claim that unless we bankrupt ourselves to pay them well, that no one will teach except for illiterate criminals. It's demonstrably false.

Pete F. 05-16-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1142714)
I doubt that income inequality is better in those states. We weren't talking about average income, or teacher income, we were talking about income inequality. That is a huge issue in CT, because it's a byproduct of hard-core liberalism.

When I was a student in public schools in CT, teacher pay was barely above poverty. Yet we got great, certified teachers, not high school grads. Then I went to a Catholic high school, where teachers were paid even less. Again, I had amazing teachers. It's a total fallacy to claim that unless we bankrupt ourselves to pay them well, that no one will teach except for illiterate criminals. It's demonstrably false.

Hard-core liberalism made CT a suburb of NYC? How did the people of Fairfield County make other people poor?
Are you sure teachers even deserve to be paid? Or should they own their own schools so they can make a profit, then it would be OK to make whatever they can.

JohnR 05-16-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1142711)

Is it? How much better would lower income folks be with a lower tax burden?

PaulS 05-16-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1142716)

Sure is. If you look at many stats, the evil liberal states rank far better than the conserv. utopian states. Things like quality of life, education, health care access, public safety, crime, life expectancy, environmental health, housing rates, etc. Those come at a cost - higher taxes.

Would the poor fare better w/a lower tax burden - I don't think so as the stats indicate there are less "ills" in the higher tax states.

Would Jim, you and I fare better in a low income state - prob. yes.

I heard that in Utah (which has a severe teacher shortage) they hired teachers w/a college degree. The person who said that also said you could teach w/o a degree if you have 5 years of relevant experience - which I don't think is a bad idea.

Pete F. 05-16-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1142714)

One conservative state that people are moving to in huge numbers is NC. They pay their teachers poorly, which is one reason why taxes are low. But they still get people to apply for teaching jobs, and if you do 5 minutes of research before deciding what town to live in, you can get great public schools.

And their d... uppity teachers are walking out
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opi...211234489.html
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/08/us/no...est/index.html

detbuch 05-16-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1142713)
Apparently, no country is foolish enough to try it.

Actually, we were foolish to depart from that "system" and switch to federal government control. As we "progressed" through the switch, prices skyrocketed.

Advances in medicine occurred before the switch, and would have continued probably even faster and better without the switch. And the competition between states would have created varieties from which to choose. And it would have helped to preserve our constitutional "system" rather than helping to destroy it. And individual freedom of choice as well as freedom in general would have been sustained.

Jim in CT 05-16-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1142715)
Hard-core liberalism made CT a suburb of NYC? How did the people of Fairfield County make other people poor?
Are you sure teachers even deserve to be paid? Or should they own their own schools so they can make a profit, then it would be OK to make whatever they can.

No, you misinterpreted my post about. I was not saying liberalism caused the fabulously wealthy enclaves of Fairfield County, that was great luck for the state of CT. I'm saying liberalism is directly responsible for the other side of income inequality, the extreme poverty, and for the loss of much of the middle class. Highly progressive areas tend to attract large numbers of wealthy people who can afford the taxes that accompany liberalism, and also large numbers of people who want to live off liberal welfare. The middle class fall through the cracks and go elsewhere. That's why you have income inequality, you have people at both extremes, not a lot of folks in the middle.

Jim in CT 05-16-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1142715)

Not sure what made you think I don't think they should be paid (I taught public school for a short time in CT). They should be paid an amount that is reasonable to fund via reasonable taxes.

What I said, and it's demonstrably true, is that lower compensation doesn't always mean a lower quality of education.

Jim in CT 05-16-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

The problem with that, is that liberals feel that the state knows better than these people, how to best spend their money.

detbuch 05-16-2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Also, the cost of living is lower ("more affordable") in those lower taxed states, so lower salaries can be sustained more easily.

Jim in CT 05-16-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1142722)

Fine. let them walk out, and I bet for every teacher that quits, the town gets 10 applications from fresh college grads eager to land their first job. Do you have any data to suggest that they can't fill open teaching positions in the Carolinas? I'd bet the farm that's not true.

Jim in CT 05-16-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1142720)
Sure is. If you look at many stats, the evil liberal states rank far better than the conserv. utopian states. Things like quality of life, education, health care access, public safety, crime, life expectancy, environmental health, housing rates, etc. Those come at a cost - higher taxes.

Would the poor fare better w/a lower tax burden - I don't think so as the stats indicate there are less "ills" in the higher tax states.

Would Jim, you and I fare better in a low income state - prob. yes.

I heard that in Utah (which has a severe teacher shortage) they hired teachers w/a college degree. The person who said that also said you could teach w/o a degree if you have 5 years of relevant experience - which I don't think is a bad idea.

Paul, how do you explain the fact that CT is always among the nation's leaders in population exodus? CT offers an amazing quality of life if you can afford it. Many people are deciding that it's not worth the cost, that the Carolinas offer a better bang for the buck.

And that's based on today's taxes, which we know aren't anywhere near enough to fund the debt that's coming soon. So even though most of the debt is off the balance sheet in unfunded IOUs. we're still losing productive citizens. What's going to happen when these debts come due, which is around the corner?

"Would Jim, you and I fare better in a low income state - prob. yes. "

There are upper middle class areas in NC and SC where I can enjoy a comparable quality of life, for far lower cost. You refer to them as "low income states" to disparage the entire state. I'm not saying I want CT to turn into all of NC or SC. But we can learn lessons from the parts of NC and SC that are working so well, like the suburbs of Charlotte, which is the banking capital of the US. They are building $450k houses as fast as they can be put up, and it isn't meth heads who are buying them. The population exodus has been a disaster for tax revenue.

spence 05-16-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1142728)
Fine. let them walk out, and I bet for every teacher that quits, the town gets 10 applications from fresh college grads eager to land their first job.

That makes sense, let's stuff the schools with first timers learning on the job with no experienced mentors.