Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Beer & Beverage (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Your Top IPA's? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=71603)

JohnnySaxatilis 06-28-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyvice11787 (Post 946322)
You guys in New England should make an effort to road trip to Vermont, and look for Heady Topper from the Alchemist ;). Just a suggestion.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

I love that place, made a few posts about it before THE BEST brewhouse I've ever been to. Their beer is only sold in the pub which is made in the basement. Flippin delicious pub food, handmade blue tile bar, a lot of local art on the walls, and you can't miss it with the brass vats in the window. Place is great :buds:

jon2465 06-28-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyvice11787 (Post 946322)
You guys in New England should make an effort to road trip to Vermont, and look for Heady Topper from the Alchemist ;). Just a suggestion.

better than pliny and ive had enough of both

flyvice11787 06-28-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon2465 (Post 946454)
better than pliny and ive had enough of both

Same for me. To me Pliny is missing something that makes it a great IPA. Can't quite put my finger on it.

rphud 06-28-2012 08:08 PM

Prefer the Pig to the Elder and the Younger to both, but to find the Younger..... board your ship Ahab.

If this goes on much more I will be living in VT. First Hill Farmstead, now this. Due to be in Newport soon and looks like there may be a source there. Fingers crossed since the reviews are "out of the park!!"

flyvice11787 06-28-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rphud (Post 946484)
Prefer the Pig to the Elder and the Younger to both, but to find the Younger..... board your ship Ahab.

If this goes on much more I will be living in VT. First Hill Farmstead, now this. Due to be in Newport soon and looks like there may be a source there. Fingers crossed since the reviews are "out of the park!!"

If you ever decide to move to VT, we'll have to set up some of beer trade/exchange ;).

Sea Dangles 06-28-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rphud (Post 946484)

Newport VT dude.

flyvice11787 06-28-2012 10:48 PM

C'mon, fess up!!! One of you has to be traveling through VT on a regular basis. P

jon2465 06-29-2012 05:14 PM

HF abner and edward are killer.... highly reccomended

jon2465 06-29-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyvice11787 (Post 946481)
Same for me. To me Pliny is missing something that makes it a great IPA. Can't quite put my finger on it.

to me its the nose u can smell HT from across the room(and i smoke) u put your nose in that beer and its a ipa lovers nirvana

Clogston29 06-29-2012 08:40 PM

Lots of good ones, but don't think I've found one that tops stone ruination. Having a few right now.

rphud 06-29-2012 09:06 PM

Newport VT....who knew!!!! Guess I will have to schedule the trip north sooner rather than later. Would be best to make a long weekend of it though.

cow tamer 01-19-2013 06:37 PM

Let us not forget Sierra Big Foot.

Nebe 01-19-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 945650)
I had a hop czar IPA and a bridgeport IPA last night.. Both from Oregon. Way too bitter for my palette. Incan see why my friends out west thought harpoon IPA was a joke of an IPA. Once you accustom your tastes to monster IPA's, something like harpoon tastes like Budweiser.

I have to confirm this post. As of late I have shifted my palette to prefer more serious ipa's with harsh hop profiles. Now when I have serious hoppy beers I can tell the difference between different types of hops, malt content, etc.

MikeD 03-06-2013 03:17 PM

I finally got my hands on a 4 pack of Heady Topper and cracked two of them last night. Pretty redundant since most of you guys have raved about it, but god damn! That is a tasty DIPA. Almost a blessing that they are so hard to get because they go down really smooth for a 8% beer.

I also read a review about Backlash Beer Salute Double IPA on boston.com today. Have you guys got your hands on that one yet? Pretty positive review.

flyvice11787 03-06-2013 09:03 PM

My local place just got Stone's Enjoy By 4.01.13 on tap!! Woohoo!!

spence 03-06-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyvice11787 (Post 987852)
My local place just got Stone's Enjoy By 4.01.13 on tap!! Woohoo!!

I wasn't a fan in the bottle. I'd bet it's great on tap, just don't think it conditioned well...

Ian 03-06-2013 10:36 PM

Completely different beer on tap. Sniffed a bottle out on Sunday and was extremely disappointed, on tap at Plan B in Glastonbury yesterday, golden delicious!

rphud 03-11-2013 09:54 PM

I am still infatuated with Union Jack, but I do also have a bottle of Double Jack thanks to a recent trip to Belmont.

Also had a Sierra Nevada Torpedo labeled as Extra IPA. Was good,but not quite sure what the "extra" was all about. Probably need to look that bit up on their web site.

Clogston29 03-22-2013 09:55 PM

Not a huge lagunitas fan in general, but the sucks is really very good.

Nebe 03-22-2013 09:58 PM

If anyone is in Florida, I highly recommend the cigar city jai alai IPA. It was incredible.

Ian 03-22-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 990772)
If anyone is in Florida, I highly recommend the cigar city jai alai IPA. It was incredible.

That is really funny, just got back with a 6er snuggled safely in the suitcase. Better on tap, but still solid in a can

MikeD 03-25-2013 10:10 AM

Had the Oskar Blues G'Knight Imperial Red IPA last night. Really tasty beer. More malty than most of the Imperials I've had. Balances the high alcohol really well. Its a bit of a rip off at $14 for a 4 pack of 16oz cans, but I'd say worth it.

Clogston29 04-06-2013 04:00 PM

Finally scored some double jack. Good, but a bit over rated IMHO.

rphud 04-06-2013 05:31 PM

I found I preferred their Union Jack. Not a double nor an American nor whatever, just a straight up IPA. I do have a Double Jack in the beer fridge though, just to keep the Union Jacks company and for when I'm in the mood.

Higgie 04-07-2013 12:19 PM

Green flash west coast ipa!

spence 04-07-2013 12:35 PM

Wookie Jack is my favorite of theirs.

-spence

zimmy 04-07-2013 07:36 PM

didn't know anything about double jack until I randomly grabbed a bottle from a ny grocery store last week. I think it is outstanding. I put it with Pliny ahead of heady topper.

Sea Dangles 04-07-2013 07:43 PM

Had the Victory double IPA this weekend.
Love Bear Republic racer 6 too.

Clogston29 04-27-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rphud (Post 993455)
I found I preferred their Union Jack. Not a double nor an American nor whatever, just a straight up IPA.

I agree. Double jack is almost too clear and clean for a double. Impressive from a brewing perspective, but I like a little more flavor. Really liking steelhead right now for a double.

West coast is great, near top of my list.

rphud 04-28-2013 05:58 AM

Green Flash is good stuff and it seems like Green Flash is everywhere in MA now, but not so much in CT. Looks like an East coast brewery is coming to VA which should help that situation.

Spent some time in North Hampton this week and found this

Le Freak™
Ale

An ‘out of the box’ modern ale crafted by converging two beer styles, Belgian Trippel and American Imperial IPA. Dry-Hopped and Bottle-Conditioned – it’s a zesty brew with enticing American hop and fruity Belgian yeast aromatics.

I liked it, but definitely not your everyday IPA.

Great beer spot in that neck of the woods as well. Good foodie spot too.

Finally doing VT in May. Mapping the course out now. Lawson's, Hill Farmstead, Alchemist and anything in between!