Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Россия (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93385)

spence 03-19-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1139684)

26 min? What did he say???

detbuch 03-19-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1139706)
26 min? What did he say???

I wondered what point your NY Times/Guardian article was trying to make.

Lionel's style can be torturous, but hundreds of thousands of people don't have trouble understanding what he says. The last couple of minutes in the video wraps it up pretty clearly. The Cambridge Analytica stuff is nothing.

Got Stripers 03-19-2018 09:54 AM

I agree with one of his closing statements, that data and information and the social media are the new weapons and guess what; Putin figured that one out years ago. That is why to me it's a bits disappointing that we seem to be playing catch-up, while Putin is relentless in seeing how deeply he can get into our vulnerable utilities, or how much he can mess with us in any way to cause unrest.

The Russian investigation has merit based on the fact that a percentage of the voting public are voting based on some level of influence Russian bots might have had on their perception of facts, truth and real positions of the candidates. Whether there was collusion or not, we are involved in a dangerous cyber war across the globe and we better get smart and harden our defenses.

spence 03-19-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1139714)
The Cambridge Analytica stuff is nothing.

I see, so the Trump campaign using stolen data in a social media scheme (via a company with ties to Russia and Ukraine) to influence the election is "nothing."

detbuch 03-19-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1139728)
I see, so the Trump campaign using stolen data in a social media scheme (via a company with ties to Russia and Ukraine) to influence the election is "nothing."

Was the information "stolen"? Did Facebook adequately protect the info? Did the Trump campaign steal anything? The rising hubbub seems to be aimed at Facebook for careless handling of info. Was anything that was done illegal? Is this something actually new?

Lionel is an experienced trial lawyer. He said it was not illegal. Check with him.

spence 03-19-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1139729)
Was the information "stolen"? Did Facebook adequately protect the info? Did the Trump campaign steal anything? The rising hubbub seems to be aimed at Facebook for careless handling of info. Was anything that was done illegal? Is this something actually new?

Yes, some 50 million users were misled into giving up personal information and then the firm subsequently lied repeatedly about it. The effort was led by Steve Bannon who became Trump's chief strategist.

Muller has requested all correspondence.

Another piece of the puzzle.

Jim in CT 03-19-2018 02:48 PM

This is a lot of energy dedicated to a country which Obama said stopped being a foreign policy concern, about the time that 'Miami Vice' went off the air.

detbuch 03-19-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1139730)
Yes, some 50 million users were misled into giving up personal information and then the firm subsequently lied repeatedly about it. The effort was led by Steve Bannon who became Trump's chief strategist.

Muller has requested all correspondence.

That's a good one. Misleading and lying are crimes. Whos left in politics that is not a criminal?

scottw 03-19-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1139730)
Yes, some 50 million users were misled into giving up personal information

A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would’ve allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidsen, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the 2012 campaign led Facebook to “suck out the whole social graph” and target potential voters.

detbuch 03-19-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1139735)
A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would’ve allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidsen, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the 2012 campaign led Facebook to “suck out the whole social graph” and target potential voters.

The Daily Caller: "If Davidsen’s accusation is indeed true, it could prove a serious problem for Facebook. In the case of the Trump campaign, Facebook’s allowance for the misuse of its data was an accidental oversight; as far as the Obama campaign goes, it appears that it was completely intentional."

It appears that no laws were broken in either case, but that Facebook is the entity that has the problem of not properly securing its customer's data.

spence 03-19-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1139735)

Sounds like the Obama campaign was using available methods at the time while the firm Trump employed tricked users into providing information by claiming it was for research.

Not the same.

detbuch 03-19-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1139738)
Sounds like the Obama campaign was using available methods at the time while the firm Trump employed tricked users into providing information by claiming it was for research.

Not the same.

No, it's not the same. Facebook willingly allowed the data mining of its users by the Obama administration. Not sure why that is ethical or not misleading. It sounds like Facebook allowed itself to be politicized, in spite of its unbiased face to the public. Kinda tricky, dontcha think?

If Cambridge Analytica used trickery, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT ALLOWED ACCESS AS WAS O's ADMIN., then trickery was necessary in order to have the same access. And trickery is not a crime.

But I get it. If you prefer the goose to the gander, then it's OK if the goose does it.

scottw 03-19-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1139743)
No, it's not the same. Facebook willingly allowed the data mining of its users by the Obama administration. Not sure why that is ethical or not misleading. It sounds like Facebook allowed itself to be politicized, in spite of its unbiased face to the public. Kinda tricky, dontcha think?

If Cambridge Analytica used trickery, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT ALLOWED ACCESS AS WAS O's ADMIN., then trickery was necessary in order to have the same access. And trickery is not a crime.

But I get it. If you prefer the goose to the gander, then it's OK if the goose does it.

actually...according to the article Facebook was tricked into providing the info but didn't complain because they were supporting the Chosen One

Spence thinks Obama is a World Class Golfer too....

spence 03-19-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1139743)

Data mining of users is part of the platform. It's how FB makes money. Their privacy policies also evolve and what was allowed under Obama wasn't the same as what was allowed just prior to Trump, via Steve Bannon when the data was collected.

The accusation being reported here is that the firm, established with right wing money used a sham research app to collect user data without notifying said users it was for political purposes.

FB certainly has some questions to answer but so does CA, Bannon and the Trump Campaign. Mr. Mueller is asking.

scottw 03-19-2018 05:11 PM

I thought it was interesting that the Obama campaign was actually the first to pay Fusion GPS through the same law firm that the Hillary campaign used to pay them to dig dirt and smear Romney...seem the pure and fabulous Obama was actually setting all sorts of standards for sneaky and bad behavior...

scottw 03-19-2018 05:15 PM

1st Commandment in Spenceworld

if Democrats do it it's brilliant strategy....if Republicans do it it's criminal and probably treasonous.....

makes most of what he writes make sense...

spence 03-19-2018 07:49 PM

http://thehill.com/policy/technology...sex-workers-to

Really?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete F. 03-19-2018 08:04 PM

Now we have gone from but Hillary to but Obama
Now DiGenova is going to claim it is all a plot to discredit the very credible Donald Trump.
Character is Destiny

detbuch 03-19-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1139745)
Data mining of users is part of the platform. It's how FB makes money. Their privacy policies also evolve and what was allowed under Obama wasn't the same as what was allowed just prior to Trump, via Steve Bannon when the data was collected.

The accusation being reported here is that the firm, established with right wing money used a sham research app to collect user data without notifying said users it was for political purposes.

FB certainly has some questions to answer but so does CA, Bannon and the Trump Campaign. Mr. Mueller is asking.

What was illegal?

detbuch 03-19-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1139754)
Now we have gone from but Hillary to but Obama
Now DiGenova is going to claim it is all a plot to discredit the very credible Donald Trump.
Character is Destiny

Is this some sort of free verse poem?

spence 03-20-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1139756)
What was illegal?

They must be looking for jelly beans.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-k-see...45870?mod=e2fb

Quote:

U.K. officials are seeking a warrant to search the offices and computer systems of Cambridge Analytica, a political-data firm accused of illicitly harvesting and stockpiling data on millions of Facebook Inc. users.

The U.K.’s investigation—which could lead to criminal charges and fines—underscores the high stakes for Facebook, which has become one of the world’s largest companies by gathering data on individuals and using it to target advertising.

detbuch 03-20-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1139790)
They must be looking for jelly beans.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-k-see...45870?mod=e2fb

Sounds like they're looking for a crime. What was illegal. And who was the criminal?

Pete F. 03-20-2018 02:17 PM

He went on to describe how political candidates are manipulated.

“They don’t understand because the candidate never, is never involved. He’s told what to do by the campaign team.” The reporter asks if that means the candidate is just a puppet, and Nix replies simply: “Always.”
I wouldn’t let this worry me

detbuch 03-20-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1139810)
He went on to describe how political candidates are manipulated.

“They don’t understand because the candidate never, is never involved. He’s told what to do by the campaign team.” The reporter asks if that means the candidate is just a puppet, and Nix replies simply: “Always.”
I wouldn’t let this worry me

So Obama and Trump were just puppets who didn't know what was going on?

spence 03-20-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1139811)

His comment was about Nix so why are you conflating Obama and Trump. That's quite slimy and pretty dishonest.

Pete F. 03-20-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1139811)

Nix claims that for Trump
I didn’t realize he was involved in the Obama campaign, is that what you are insinuating?

spence 03-21-2018 11:12 AM

More WOW

Quote:

The Washington Post first reported Tuesday that Trump congratulated Putin despite warnings from multiple national security advisers and briefing materials that said "DO NOT CONGRATULATE." The White House declined to officially comment to CNN on the matter, with an official adding that they "cannot comment on alleged classified deliberative documents allegedly provided to the President."
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/polit...ons/index.html

scottw 03-21-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1139881)

didn't Obama congratulate Putin?...never mind...I'm sure that was completely different

Got Stripers 03-21-2018 11:20 AM

It doesn't matter if it was leaked , but it confirms what so many are reporting, that he doesn't take advice from anyone; he has no clue why congratulating Putin was so wrong. He felt it was important to do so, because the broomance is more important in his mind, than showing Putin we in America know that election was a big farce.

spence 03-21-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1139883)
didn't Obama congratulate Putin?...never mind...I'm sure that was completely different

Yes it was.