Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Favorite fish to eat (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=82167)

Sea Dangles 05-04-2013 07:12 AM

Favorite fish to eat

I am excited to start togging and bring some fresh fish home for the family after a long winter. A successful cod outing got the ball rolling where I made a jumbo batch of cod cakes and put an avacado aioli sauce to kick it up. My favorite fish to eat is grouper and I prefer it blackened and in a sandwich.

iamskippy 05-04-2013 07:16 AM

i too enjoy some grouper, or mango snapper, but its a toss up for me between Tuna and Striper.

The Dad Fisherman 05-04-2013 07:49 AM

Halibut......grilled w/ melted butter and lemon
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fishsmith 05-04-2013 08:04 AM

Shallow water red tommy cod that have been living on lobster and crab, YUM!

bassballer 05-04-2013 08:10 AM

Locally I love Fluke and tog. heading out tomorrow for a limit of spring tog. Cant wait.

But I love tuna, and salmon. Give me a rainbow roll anyday of the week.

jredfly 05-04-2013 08:35 AM

Tuna steak - very rare. Striper with pesto.

spence 05-04-2013 08:43 AM

Black sea bass grilled with just some good olive oil, sea salt and pepper...cavity stuffed with lemons, thyme and basil.

-spence

Nebe 05-04-2013 09:01 AM

Skate. I'm serious.

Saltheart 05-04-2013 10:14 AM

Yellow perch fillets , breaded and fried in butter with fresh lemon squeezed at the diner's plate to taste. Tuna on the grill is next.

Night Shift 05-04-2013 01:52 PM

Brook Trout

the smallest ones you can legally take, fried in buckwheat flour

spence 05-04-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Shift (Post 997445)
Brook Trout

Over an open pit fire drinking beer in VT? Been there, done that (not sure of the flour type). I agree, pretty damn good.

-spence

Goose 05-04-2013 06:12 PM

Dungeness crab then tuna sushi

Raven 05-04-2013 07:50 PM

RED SNAPPER
ORANGE ROUGHY

striprman 05-04-2013 07:58 PM

Fresh fried smelt with lemon and tarter sauce, along with French fries, ketchup and
cole slaw....and a Bass ale.

WESTPORTMAFIA 05-04-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Shift (Post 997445)
Brook Trout

Really? I only eat 2 fish from from the fresh. Catfish prepared by a resturaunt and rainbow trout. Never ate a brookie. I think they are too purty! Lol. I love myself some striped bass and whole pan cooked scup. Don't care too much for Tog, fluke/flounder or seabass.

WESTPORTMAFIA 05-04-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striprman (Post 997479)
Fresh fried smelt with lemon and tarter sauce, along with French fries, ketchup and
cole slaw....and a Bass ale.

And smelt. Fresh pan fried whole. Packed with garlic and wet crushed red pepper and then rolled in seasoned flour. Fried in a shallow pan with olive oil until almost burnt looking. Adding more garlic half way through. Add some Portuguese cheese, bread and homeade wine! And can't forget the halved boiled potatoes topped with red wine vinegar and wet crushed pepper!

WESTPORTMAFIA 05-04-2013 08:25 PM

Oh yeah. Even better to eat it under a grapevine in the summer with some older greenhorns and homeade moonshine for dessert. Substitute the smelt with whole scup in the summer.

Bronko 05-04-2013 08:38 PM

Mangrove or yellowtail. Tripletail is phenomenal as well.

Clogston29 05-05-2013 06:04 AM

Raw tuna

BigFish 05-05-2013 07:02 AM

Striper! I love my striper chowdah.......but my striper fish cakes can't be beat! Looking forward to trying fluke/flounder.....I hear its the best!!!

Nebe 05-05-2013 07:10 AM

It is.

Fly Rod 05-05-2013 08:01 AM

Day old Alaskan salmon in season...June, July, August...comes flash frozen next day.
Fresh Halibut
Fresh Haddock
Fresh Sole
Fresh Hake
Fresh dogfish...if someone did not tell U it was dogfish U would not know the difference.

Someone mentioned catfish from restaurant...it could be fresh water...saltwater cat fish is illegal to catch commercially at least in Mass.

In Florida in winter most Grouper is imported...they have a closed season.

90% of all fish is imported today.

Swimmer 05-05-2013 05:23 PM

Not for nothing, and since it comes from salt water, I say quahog chowder.......from the black dog.

the point 05-06-2013 10:25 AM

Locally...Black Sea Bass.MMMM

JackK 05-06-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fly Rod (Post 997525)
Day old Alaskan salmon in season...June, July, August...comes flash frozen next day.
Fresh Halibut
Fresh Haddock
Fresh Sole
Fresh Hake
Fresh dogfish...if someone did not tell U it was dogfish U would not know the difference.

Someone mentioned catfish from restaurant...it could be fresh water...saltwater cat fish is illegal to catch commercially at least in Mass.

In Florida in winter most Grouper is imported...they have a closed season.

90% of all fish is imported today.

Funny... I cooked fresh dogfish (fresh as in was alive, filleted and pan fried within a half hour) and it was the most vile fish I've eaten. Flavor started off OK but then left an awful aftertaste. None of us would eat more than a bite. Do you treat (marinade, soak in milk, ?) it at all beforehand?

JohnnySaxatilis 05-06-2013 11:53 AM

I gotta tell ya, we took the sea trout we got fishing in sanibel fl last month and brought it to the Flamingo restaurant on captiva. 2 filets Mesquite Grilled, and the rest fried. So amazingly good. And if your bring your own catch, its like 9 bucks with a ceasar, and a side of fries or onion rings for the dinner. Cheapest and best meal we had all week

Jimbo 05-06-2013 12:03 PM

Grilled Swordfish would be my favorite finned fish.
Grilled prociutto wrappd sea scallops or sea clam pie (mom's recipe) for the non-finned fish fav.

Night Shift 05-06-2013 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 997480)
Really? I only eat 2 fish from from the fresh. Catfish prepared by a resturaunt and rainbow trout. Never ate a brookie. I think they are too purty!

Yup. If you like bows, you'll love brookies. At my camp in Maine, we keep them as close to the 6 inch minimum as possible. All of the larger fish get released.

Rockport24 05-06-2013 02:51 PM

I love all fish, but if I had to choose one I honestly just love a nice fried up piece of fresh cod, can't beat that!

Rockport24 05-06-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySaxatilis (Post 997666)
I gotta tell ya, we took the sea trout we got fishing in sanibel fl last month and brought it to the Flamingo restaurant on captiva. 2 filets Mesquite Grilled, and the rest fried. So amazingly good. And if your bring your own catch, its like 9 bucks with a ceasar, and a side of fries or onion rings for the dinner. Cheapest and best meal we had all week

ya know I've been meaning to post this question, can you do that anywhere in New England? Would be cool to bring in a striper and have some local chefs prepare for ya wouldn't it?