Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Pollock Reference (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=85106)

Eric Roach 02-18-2014 01:27 PM

Pollock Reference

2 Attachment(s)
A couple of years ago I snorkeled at one of my favorite spots and saw a lot of juvenile pollock & cunner in the rocks. I've finally gotten around to coming up with a semi-realistic paint scheme.

For reference, I searched the internet for images of pollock images and stored them on a .PDF -- it's attached to the bottom of this post (thought this might help someone with their reference library.)

I'd love to see any paint schemes for pollock you've come up with -- I'll post mine once the topcoat is finished.

Eric

JMAC_kerel 02-19-2014 12:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Most years there is a good influx of Harbor pollock to the NH coast. Last two years there as been a ton. At least at the rocks I fished most. You have to know that the big bass are eating their fare share of them. I caught one of my largest plug-caught bass on a pollock painted swimmer of mine years ago. I also catch a bunch of pollock themselves on teasers and even plugs meant for bass. Looking forward to seeing what you come up for the paint.

Eric Roach 02-19-2014 01:42 PM

That's a nice pollock-colored plug -- a little hard to see but cool colors. I have a needle spinning right now that has a dark green-brown back, light gold/bronze sides and a snow white bottom. I made another with more muted colors but also very light. Both needles are waaay overdue giveaways (Stripermaineiac and Blondterror). I'll post them both tomorrow.

I'd like to try a pollock paint scheme that is darker overall -- some of the underwater photos of the pollock are pretty dark. I have a couple of sinking needles to finish and I'll try a darker pollock scheme on one and a cunner pattern on the other.

PS: That's a nice pollock pic' -- I just saved it as reference :)

chefchris401 02-19-2014 02:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
heres a few pics of BM Pollack, one of the only builders that makes a pollack color plug.

real basic but effective, have taken a lot of fish on a pollack needle and danny

black, gold and white is all it is.

sure yours will have much more detail

The Dad Fisherman 02-19-2014 02:22 PM

I got a Nike from Tobias on here that had an absolute pissah Pollack scheme....looking at it right now. :hee:

Linesider82 02-19-2014 04:39 PM

Pollack

1 Attachment(s)
I use rattle cans so that's about as fancy as it's going to get for me.

ProfessorM 02-19-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1032361)
I got a Nike from Tobias on here that had an absolute pissah Pollack scheme....looking at it right now. :hee:

I got that too. To nice to throw in the ocean

Swimmer 02-20-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1032361)

What about a pic Dad?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Eric Roach 02-20-2014 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are two pollock needles I recently painted. Both have straight lateral lines; I gave up trying to get a curved/hooked lateral line I was happy with.

The bottom one has a nice sheen of green and brown pearls on top --I really like that blend of paints. Unfortunately this one has a slightly pock-marked E-tex finish (sorry, Ron -- this one is yours.)

stripermaineiac 02-20-2014 06:44 PM

LOL Still looks better than most out there.If it works half as good as that big one of yours it's top shelf.

Eric Roach 02-20-2014 09:49 PM

You going to Plugfest, Ron?

stripermaineiac 02-21-2014 09:51 PM

Yes I'll be goin.I've got some stuff to pick up from Mike. Ron

pbadad 02-22-2014 08:25 AM

I've painted Baby Pollack colors of gold top, silver bottom w/pink lateral line. Nice combo.