Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Any world travelers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=95456)

wdmso 08-25-2019 08:41 AM

Any world travelers

Looking to see if anyone has been to Europe last 2 years and how did you approach the use of your smartphone..

I have verizon their international plan would cost 240.00 for 14 days

But a GSM sim card for europe plus data like 100 bucks for the same coverage

They say their phones are unlocked all all ready .. but if It wont work when we get there my wife will kill me

nightfighter 08-25-2019 09:17 AM

Verizon Global Plan. Your $240 is too high. Which countries? Will make a difference. See if they have text and call only service if that will suffice for you. If need internet access, what are roaming charges per country. Need to cherry pick from their menu. Also need to suspend cloud facebook etc while you are there as that is adding to the charge...

That's the best info from my better half, who manages global travel for a large corporation. ( I don't leave town....)

Cool Beans 08-25-2019 09:22 AM

Not sure about Europe, but my wife is currently visiting her parents in Japan and we have T-Mobile. On her Iphone with our standard plan she gets free text and slower speed data FREE included in our plan, but if she wants to use the phone it costs us about 25 cents a minute. We never use the phone because the data she does get is fast enough for voice chat over FaceBook. Look into your service, now days most US smart phones work just fine over seas. Check online for "Reviews on using Verizon in the specific areas you will be in"

wdmso 08-25-2019 09:57 AM

thanks for the feedback I actually had a pleasant conversation with a verizon Tec, who clarified that both of my phones are unlocked and they would accept the GSM european sim cards with no issues

suspend cloud facebook no issue for me not on my phone .my better half I won't win that fight..

still got 20 days to figure it out .. and catch some albies

nightfighter 08-25-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1172863)
thanks for the feedback I actually had a pleasant conversation with a verizon Tec, who clarified that both of my phones are unlocked and they would accept the GSM european sim cards with no issues

suspend cloud facebook no issue for me not on my phone .my better half I won't win that fight..

still got 20 days to figure it out .. and catch some albies

Excellent. See if they will send you that in writing so you have it when your bill comes in.... CYA is all I am saying.

PaulS 08-25-2019 11:25 AM

Just use Wi-Fi and don't make any phone calls
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PaulS 08-25-2019 07:07 PM

And download mobile passport to your phone. It will help get you through customs much quicker.

Higgie 08-26-2019 06:10 AM

Download WhatsApp it allows you to make calls over WiFi and every hotel or cafe will most likely have a free WiFi. Been using it last couple years. From Thailand Singapore Bali Spain Portugal Bahamas its worked. Also if you have a iPhone and are contacting someone else with an iPhone you can text for free over WiFi

JohnR 08-26-2019 07:18 AM

All good advice.

Just be very careful on WiFi, patch your phone to latest everything NLT 5 days before trip

Have a Great Time!! Everyone in Europe will be rested when you get there ; )

westhavendave 08-26-2019 07:39 AM

Have used the WhatsApp from Euro countries in the past, it worked well. ATT was $9.99 a day for Europe unlimited voice, internet and text.

wdmso 08-26-2019 10:52 AM

Again thanks for the suggestions.. going to try putting one phone on sim card 20 gigs of data. (We barely use 8 now together) and turn my phone into a wifi hot spot.. and use hotel wifi if at hotel.. worse case ill pay for 1 phone. Not going to sweat 200.00 bucks and have the wife not enjoy the trip

PaulS 08-26-2019 11:35 AM

I think using hotel/rest. wifi and WhatsApp you can get away w/o spending the $200. $200 is $200.

Do the mobile passport thing and save yourself waiting in line when you return.

wdmso 08-26-2019 02:31 PM

Only thing mobile passport cost 14 bucks per person .. just love how the government pimps us out to the private sector.. it used to be free

spence 08-26-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1172936)
Only thing mobile passport cost 14 bucks per person .. just love how the government pimps us out to the private sector.. it used to be free

I think you only have to pay if you want the app to persist your personal data for multiple trips.

wdmso 08-26-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1172937)
I think you only have to pay if you want the app to persist your personal data for multiple trips.

from what I read that was in the old version the one I down loaded said free for 7 days then 14.99 a year I'll reinstall on my flight home ..and try that.. or just wait

PaulS 08-26-2019 02:45 PM

I used it last in Oct. Just opened it up and does say $14.99.

Sorry

spence 08-26-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1172938)
from what I read that was in the old version the one I down loaded said free for 7 days then 14.99 a year I'll reinstall on my flight home ..and try that.. or just wait

I just installed it and when you see the button for free for 7 days and pay 14.99 there's a continue to free button at the top.

Alternatively, you could just put your CC info in when you're on the way back and cancel the trial.