Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Movies, Classics to Less than Normal (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   The Hurt Locker (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=62209)

RIJIMMY 02-16-2010 03:23 PM

The Hurt Locker

great flick, highly reccomended.
follows a US Army team responsible for IED removal. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the flick.

striperman36 02-16-2010 03:39 PM

Army or Marines? Friggin Army does not do that chit.

RIJIMMY 02-16-2010 03:58 PM

it was Army in the movie.

RIJIMMY 02-16-2010 04:04 PM

Kathryn Bigelow directs this gripping drama (nominated for three Golden Globes) following one of the U.S. Army's elite EOD (explosive ordnance disposal) teams operating in the ferocious war zone of Iraq. As the squad identifies and dismantles improvised explosive devices and other bombs, they must also contend with the frayed nerves and internal conflicts that arise from living in constant peril.

RIJIMMY 02-24-2010 08:52 AM

bump - no one else saw this?

PRBuzz 02-24-2010 09:14 AM

I watched it but wasn't impressed as others seem to be?

RIJIMMY 02-24-2010 11:50 AM

thats cool, something about it really resonated with me. i really liked the tunes and the filming style.

PRBuzz 03-07-2010 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For viewing pleasure, I preferred Basterds over Locker. Odds are not favoring Basterds or the BEST of the year: Avatar! Forgot that Star Trek was part of this year's offering (Oscar for Costume Design?), which now becomes my hands on favorite viewing pleasure being a closet Trekkie.

Maybe BigFish Larry would consider changing his avatar to the attached? The only real recognition that Avatar got for the evening.

striperman36 03-07-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 747903)
it was Army in the movie.

Buncha frackin dirt pounders.. Only the mud dogs do it best. I refuse to watch it based on this omission to reality.
Oh and they use my software too.

The Dad Fisherman 03-08-2010 06:09 AM

Looks like you weren't the only one who liked it....it took home the Best Picture Oscar

PRBuzz 03-08-2010 06:43 AM

Wonder how the Oscar voters saw the movie (Hurt Locker): free passes? Only grossed $19M worldwide in ticket revenues....

spence 03-08-2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 752897)
Wonder how the Oscar voters saw the movie (Hurt Locker): free passes? Only grossed $19M worldwide in ticket revenues....

I believe they're sent the movies for private review.

Supposed to be a good movie although the grunts say it's really over dramatized. No wonder Jimmy likes it.

-spence

Swimmer 03-08-2010 01:01 PM

The members of the academy are sent every film that receives nominations and many that are not. One of the guys I work with has a father-in-law is a member. He sometimes sends the movie to my co-worker after he is done with it.

They don't pay beans for anything. Many of those who voted I read nominated as a way of saying/giving approval of what is taking place there now, as opposed to when Bush was in charge.

Does the army do this work or not?

RIJIMMY 03-08-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 752907)
I believe they're sent the movies for private review.

Supposed to be a good movie although the grunts say it's really over dramatized. No wonder Jimmy likes it.

-spence

RIJimmy knows best. i should be getting my invation to the academy any day now.
For what its worth, avatar would have won over hurt locker for me.

The Dad Fisherman 03-08-2010 01:29 PM

My Pick for Best Supporting actor go the nod too.....:kewl:

PaulS 03-08-2010 01:52 PM

I thought it was good but not Oscar worthy. I would have prob. picked Avatar but the more I think about Avatar, the more I realize I like it just for the special effects/3D.

Tagger 03-09-2010 07:28 AM

Not an avid movie goer.. I didn't know Hurt Locker existed until awards talk . Havn't seen it but want to ... That's the Woman director on that film I think .

RIJIMMY 03-09-2010 03:06 PM

I also think District 9 was much, much better that Hurt Locker

MarshCappa 03-11-2010 01:39 PM

I haven't seen it yet but it's going to happen soon.

Slingah 03-13-2010 10:17 AM

It was good not great imo....loved her first movie (Near Dark)

MarshCappa 03-14-2010 08:05 AM

Saw it last night. Good not great. I liked it though.

redlite 03-18-2010 08:46 AM

After much anticipation, finally got to see it last night.
Very disappointed and confused. Just seemed to jump around with no continuity/plot to tie it all together. Seemed like they were trying too much to make it like "The Kingdom", but with a lot less story line.

RIJIMMY 03-18-2010 10:58 AM

The movie opens with the quote -"The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug."

And the entire movie serves to prove the quote true. There is no deep plot and interestingly no political agenda. Its a movie about a rush/addiction, its complications, its victims and you can speculate on its impact on society. Think of the Robert Duvall quote from Apocaplyse Now, regretting that some day, this war will be over.

I was on the edge of my seat most of the movie. Major actors had very small parts and were killed without fanfare. The tunes were great and added to the intensity. I thought it was a high adrennaline movie.

MarshCappa 03-18-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 755267)
The movie opens with the quote -"The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug."

And the entire movie serves to prove the quote true. There is no deep plot and interestingly no political agenda. Its a movie about a rush/addiction, its complications, its victims and you can speculate on its impact on society. Think of the Robert Duvall quote from Apocaplyse Now, regretting that some day, this war will be over.

I was on the edge of my seat most of the movie. Major actors had very small parts and were killed without fanfare. The tunes were great and added to the intensity. I thought it was a high adrennaline movie.

That's deep man! :smokin:

striperman36 06-22-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 755267)

I agree, however, I found Junger's book, War, is a better reality of what is happening over there.
I highly recommend his book, I just watched the movie from RedBox and liked the book better.
War is addicting....

GregW 01-23-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swimmer (Post 752977)

Does the army do this work or not?

Yes the Army does do this work in real life.

Saw this awhile back and didnt like it. Really think they should have made it more accurate.

striperman36 01-23-2011 09:43 PM

watch Restrepo