Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Hey Spence - need advice on loafers (seriously!) (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=83073)

Rockport24 07-24-2013 01:20 PM

Hey Spence - need advice on loafers (seriously!)

do people still wear penny loafers? I like em' classic look...
Looking to spend around $100...

The Dad Fisherman 07-24-2013 01:28 PM

Due to inflation they are now called Dollar Loafers

Rockport24 07-24-2013 01:37 PM

:D

spence 07-24-2013 02:44 PM

What size?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockport24 07-24-2013 03:04 PM

HA! does that matter? 9.5

Nebe 07-24-2013 03:28 PM

Only 9.5? Yeah that matters. Size 13 and your loafers stand out more.

spence 07-24-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockport24 (Post 1007521)
HA! does that matter? 9.5

Yea, if you're trying to score good stuff off price the selection is somewhat limited. 100 bucks doesn't buy much other than a cheap glued shoe likely made in China.

A little hunting and you could find something much better. Let me look around...

-spence

spence 07-24-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1007525)
Only 9.5? Yeah that matters. Size 13 and your loafers stand out more.

Depends on the shoe. Some with a very elongated last look like clown shoes in the larger sizes. There's a fine line between Italian and stupid.

Doesn't really matter if it's a loafer or lace up though...

-spence

PRBuzz 07-24-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockport24 (Post 1007504)
do people still wear penny loafers? I like em' classic look...
Looking to spend around $100...

I do, they are probably 20yrs old though.

Rockport24 07-24-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1007552)
Yea, if you're trying to score good stuff off price the selection is somewhat limited. 100 bucks doesn't buy much other than a cheap glued shoe likely made in China.

A little hunting and you could find something much better. Let me look around...

-spence

Wow you aren't messing around! Ok thanks!
How much should I be spending?

WESTPORTMAFIA 07-24-2013 08:39 PM

At one time in my life when I gave a crap how I looked I would get my suits custom made by Tom James. The clothier would come to my office, measure me, and show me fabric and show up a few weeks later with a suit to tailor. A couple weeks after that and WALLAH! Custom suit. I would pair them up with my 80 dollar China shoes that would last a few years easy. I decided to take the plunge on a pair of Johnston Murphy's for one of my suits. The shoes went $400. After breaking them in they were still uncomfortable, the leather rubbed very easily and always needed a shine, and the best part they made a squeaking noise! Buy the cheap China chit and buy a pair every 3-4 years without breaking the bank. This will also allow you to keep up with the current styles without breaking the bank.

Rockport24 07-24-2013 08:42 PM

Sounds nice! I usually go with the made in china shoes but end up replacing them almost every year.

WESTPORTMAFIA 07-24-2013 08:49 PM

What do you do for a living? How many hours a week are you wearing them and what are you doing while wearing them?

Rockport24 07-24-2013 08:56 PM

I work in higher ed financial administration. The issue is that I have meetings all over the damn campus, which is expansive, and I park a good 10 minute walk away from my office, so a lot of walking so I need something fairly comfortable. It's not like I'm an investment banker that needs to impress high-end clients, I just need to look like I know what I'm talking about so when I tell people to stop spending so much money they believe me! In fact, I can't go around looking too high-end for that very reason! I would wear them for 2-3 days a week, these should be brown, as I have a black pair I wear the other days.

WESTPORTMAFIA 07-24-2013 09:04 PM

That sux.

WESTPORTMAFIA 07-24-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 1007585)
That sux. 1st thing is sneakers with your shoes in a backpack or something. That's 20 more minutes a day being comfortable. Then put your impressive shoes on when you get to work. Ill check the closet for less expensive stuff that has held up over the years and still feels good and I'm sure Spence will be looking as he said. Btw dr sholls can be slipped into any shoe. Then your gellin

Rockport24 07-24-2013 09:12 PM

yeah I've done that but it's kind of a pain...might have to go back to it though.
Oh and just googled Tom James! Dude! Pricey stuff but nice looking, were you an investment banker?

Thanks for the help!

spence 07-24-2013 09:25 PM

I've seen the inside of his truck and please do not listen to anything WPM says.

WESTPORTMAFIA 07-24-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1007591)
I've seen the inside of his truck and please do not listen to anything WPM says.

Lol. And please do listen. I did the suit thing for a good 12 years. A lot of custom but if not custom still high end top of the line. My best shoes were always on sale and no more than $100 bucks. Spence is still upset that I don't have a spandex suit! My truck is a different story and always will be! :)

WESTPORTMAFIA 07-24-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockport24 (Post 1007587)
yeah I've done that but it's kind of a pain...might have to go back to it though.
Oh and just googled Tom James! Dude! Pricey stuff but nice looking, were you an investment banker?

Thanks for the help!

No I'm still employed.

fishbones 07-24-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 1007594)
No I'm still employed.

Yeah, and you're the only person who has a real job that works fewer hours than me.

Don't listen to Spence. He carries a pocketbook around with him that has Fifty Shades of Gray and tampons in it.

spence 07-25-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 1007595)
Don't listen to Spence. He carries a pocketbook around with him that has Fifty Shades of Gray and tampons in it.

This is true, and if we ever get to meet face to face again remind me to give it back to you.

At 100 bucks your options are somewhat limited. I looked at some good off-price places online but don't see any sweet deals in your size.

If you're around Boston the Nordstrom's Rack outlets usually will have some sale options at a good discount. Perhaps Cole Haan or something similar that will certainly function well for years. Also the Brooks Brothers outlet at Wrentham might have a good sale.

The classic Bass loafers can be had on Zappos for about that price.

Another option for a classic penny would be LL Bean at 99 bucks and a lifetime warranty if anything goes awry.

With a 35% off coupon and free shipping this is what I'd go for :hihi:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/tri...colorFamily=01

-spence

Dick Durand 07-25-2013 07:59 AM

Surprisingly, noone has recommended Rockports yet, my go to shoe for comfort.

Redsoxticket 07-25-2013 08:18 AM

The Rockport line of shoes are comfortable and light weight letting walk long distance without foot fatigue. I've been wearing them since the early 80s.

Rockport24 07-25-2013 10:23 AM

Thanks for the advice Spence! If I bought a $500 pair of shoes my wife would lose it, although probably not as much as if I bought a Zee bass or something!

spence 07-25-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsoxticket (Post 1007608)
The Rockport line of shoes are comfortable and light weight letting walk long distance without foot fatigue. I've been wearing them since the early 80s.

Yes, it's another option although many don't look as classic to me at least. I used to wear them years ago but they're not made like they used to be...still good value if you like the style.

-spence

Rockport24 07-25-2013 11:19 AM

Yeah the reason I am looking for new pair is because I have some Rockports that have just not held up well at all...
found the classic bass penny loafers on amazon for $80, let's see how they do.

The Dad Fisherman 07-28-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockport24 (Post 1007618)
Thanks for the advice Spence! If I bought a $500 pair of shoes my wife would lose it, although probably not as much as if I bought a Zee bass or something!

If you spent $500 on shoes instead of towards a Hobie....I would lose it :-)

spence 07-28-2013 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1007920)
If you spent $500 on shoes instead of towards a Hobie....I would lose it :-)

For all that is good and honest about this fine world I hope to god you're not serious :devil2: :hihi:

This was a tough match. Italy vs England. Switzerland as usual remained neutral.

-spence

The Dad Fisherman 07-28-2013 12:06 PM

When it comes to shoes, I'm more of a "Payless Shoes" kind of guy :hihi:

(The sound you are about to here is Spence's stomach churning g in disgust)