Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Who Is Yak Fishing This Season? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=89842)

BigFish 01-14-2016 08:12 AM

Who Is Yak Fishing This Season?

It makes me a little sad that a few short years ago we had a core group of between 6-10 people who would get together and yak fish at least 3-4 times a season for a couple of seasons there and now many of them do not even get out themselves anymore? How come? Time constraints? Family commitments? Lost the passion or too lazy? I know many still have their yaks......so where are you and will you be getting out this season? I for one miss getting together......life is short folks! I do get out with 2 or 3 folks from S-B still on a regular basis and we have a great time! Maybe we can try to revive the get togethers or "Scrambles" as we called them? Who would be interested? Lets hear from you!!! :eyes: Hit the link and have some fun!! https://youtu.be/deMd8mQOXHY

Nebe 01-14-2016 08:29 AM

I plan to make more of an effort this year and focus more on fluke
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockport24 01-14-2016 01:28 PM

Hard to get me off the north shore Larry, but I would be up for it!

EliTheBeerGuy 01-14-2016 07:43 PM

I'm a newbie to the gang, but I'm interested. That is to say, I'm yakking with or without you guys, so I'd like to participate!

BigFish 01-14-2016 08:08 PM

Where are you located Eli? I like beer too!:buds:

The Dad Fisherman 01-15-2016 12:13 AM

Don't have a vehicle that can transport my kayak...

missing link 01-15-2016 05:30 AM

Yes , I'm in at least for a couple of outings . I'm also a newbie to kayaking looking to hit salt and sweet H2O . Getting my set up together this winter . My son Matt is looking for a Yak probably after tax season he'll purchase one .
ML Sr.

BigFish 01-15-2016 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1091145)
Don't have a vehicle that can transport my kayak...

How come??? No SUV?

BigFish 01-15-2016 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missing link (Post 1091149)
Yes , I'm in at least for a couple of outings . I'm also a newbie to kayaking looking to hit salt and sweet H2O . Getting my set up together this winter . My son Matt is looking for a Yak probably after tax season he'll purchase one .
ML Sr.

Hi ML! Be great to see you again its been too long! Keep an eye out here for when we get together!:kewl:

Rockport24 01-15-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 1091155)
How come??? No SUV?

just get a rack dude!! unless you are driving a smartcar or some stupid chit like that, any car can transport a yak!

EliTheBeerGuy 01-16-2016 02:26 PM

BigFish, I live in Glastonbury. Generally I've been fishing Old Lyme, and just started exploring some sections of the CT River and the Housy.

Did some salt kayaking last year. This year my goals include more night kayaking, and a greater number of species. I really really really want to catch Albies from the kayak this season!

Sonnyboy 03-15-2016 07:06 PM

I want to focus on the kayak this year. You need to try out of Waterford or New London in late fall for those Albies. Unless you hit up Watch Hill area.

Sonnyboy 03-15-2016 07:06 PM

Lived in Old Lyme for thirteen years btw. Know those waters very well. Striper heaven.

Sonnyboy 03-15-2016 07:25 PM

I'm all in this year. I have a sit in so I will suffer through this season unless I get a good deal. Looking to fish Old Lyme and Waterford areas. Maybe a trip to Napatree.

Got Stripers 03-16-2016 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonnyboy (Post 1096368)
I want to focus on the kayak this year. You need to try out of Waterford or New London in late fall for those Albies. Unless you hit up Watch Hill area.

I would certainly be up for travel if it meant getting into some hot late season action; would that require we pony up for a CT license? I've been fishing out of Westport River for a long time, so I know that area very well and the beauty of that spot is if it's snotty outside, you can always catch something inside.

fishbones 03-16-2016 08:06 AM

I'm hoping to get out a few times this season. It's been tough to free up the time the last couple years because of work and family commitments, but the new job should make it easier during the summer to yak.

EliTheBeerGuy 05-02-2016 05:15 PM

Those of you interested in kayaking this year...

I'm in central CT. I typically fish the CT shoreline/rivers from the Housatonic east to Niantic. I'm definitely interested in the occasional trip to RI and maybe further.

If you'd like, send me a private message so we can exchange contact info. Forums aren't really the best way to put together last-minute trips

FishermanTim 05-03-2016 10:35 AM

I've been freshwater kayak fishing primarily, with a few salt trips thrown in for good measure.

I knocked off a "bucket item" list this past weekend by specifically targeting carp (from shore) and catching 2 good fish. The first was a true monster fish at almost 3 feet long, fat and REAL powerful!

Now that I have the technique down, I may try for a carp from the kayak. With the power of their runs, I would definitely be in for a freshwater "Nantucket sleigh ride"!!!!

onsetangler 05-09-2016 02:09 PM

Me Onset/ Buzzards Bay...

hq2 06-26-2016 11:20 AM

Will yak just about anywhere in NE, but like Boston area best. Have a buddy I go out with when he has time, but looking for other folks to go out with. Went out yakking yesterday at Deer Island flats, caught a yellowtail founder (no blackbacks). Tried for stripers and togs at Deer Island rip, no luck. Beautiful day OTW, saw some other 'yakkers, didn't see anyone catching anything (including motorboats).