Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Headed to the edge tomorrow morning (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=65494)

Mr. Sandman 08-09-2010 01:06 PM

Headed to the edge tomorrow morning

Headed to Hydrographers and one of the no-name canyons to the east... has a great temp break. Should be fun. Marlin on the mind... Will be back on Thursday PM. Will try to take a few photos. (I aways get distracted and forget to pick up the camera)

LT. DAN 2 08-09-2010 01:20 PM

Looking forward to the PICS!! Don't forget to pick up that Camera!!!

Mr. Sandman 08-09-2010 01:24 PM

Next year I plan to mount a go-pro "cockpit cam" and take video that way. I figure if it can be mounted on a surfboard it can take a fixed mount on a pilothouse (http://www.goprocamera.com/players/channel_surf.php)

niko 08-09-2010 02:04 PM

good luck. definatly take some pix

MrHunters 08-09-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman (Post 786900)
Next year I plan to mount a go-pro "cockpit cam" and take video that way. I figure if it can be mounted on a surfboard it can take a fixed mount on a pilothouse (GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports)

Get 3 hd flips and build some mounts. won't be waterproof though... but you will have 3 angles for the same amount of money practically.

Goose 08-09-2010 05:13 PM

Jim was that you at gay head saturday around noonish?

RIROCKHOUND 08-09-2010 05:38 PM

Jim good luck.

the bite is there, just got some reports. maybe this weekend, but we won't be that far east w/ our range...

tight lines

keeperreaper 08-09-2010 07:51 PM

Good luck. Let us know how you do...

Mr. Sandman 08-09-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goose (Post 786959)
Jim was that you at gay head saturday around noonish?

Yeah!! I spend the night at CH with my wife and son and then fished Nomans on Sat morning...just blues. I was rounding the head just after noon I think. There were a bunch of chunkers all anchored up, were you one of them?

good night.

striperman36 08-09-2010 07:55 PM

Luv to see the boat wet!!

Goose 08-09-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman (Post 786992)
Yeah!! I spend the night at CH with my wife and son and then fished Nomans on Sat morning...just blues. I was rounding the head just after noon I think. There were a bunch of chunkers all anchored up, were you one of them?

good night.

Yeah but not in the mix...I was one of the loner's just south. Gorgeous out there.friggen things sweet.:drool:

Mr. Sandman 08-12-2010 05:01 PM

Good trip....steady pick of yellowfin averaging around 60#, largest was about 75-80. We lost one at the boat that was 90 easy and a couple of other screamers.

A few nice dolphin to 20# and only one marlin that grabbed a green machine spreader bar.
I have a couple photos but again for some reason I only took a couple photos.

The fish were all stacked on the west wall of the canyon, nothing on the east wall or in the deep.

We saw 2 mammoth rays which were in the wake of the boat and followed us for a mile or so. 12' wide easy! What a cool creature. More whales than I have ever seen out there ( usually there are more whales east than south )

Someone needs to explain to me how a "Green Stick" is used. I see them but I can not figure out how they work.

Good trip but no exotics, no wahoo, bigeye or albacore.... maybe next trip.

RIROCKHOUND 08-12-2010 05:07 PM

glad you got out Jim.
w/ the forecast I think were grounded until next week at the earliest...

Mr. Sandman 08-13-2010 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, while off loading the yft ( we sold 7 of them to cover the cost of the trip) I ran into a long liner who was out there and he was fishing for Golden Tile fish. (he let the long line go to the bottom in 700' of water! ) It was the first time I ever saw a tile fish in person. He gave me one and the wife cooked it up for the family last night. Excellent tasting fish, sort of like black sea bass texture and taste.

BTW the market for yft is pretty flooded right now, don't expect to get great $. There is a big demand for big Mahi and Bigeye right now though, if you get a large bigeye though it can really make a trip.

Mr. Sandman 08-13-2010 06:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
a few photos...

RIROCKHOUND 08-13-2010 07:22 AM

jim. heard that on the YFT, but knew about the $mahi.

nice pics.

fish4striper 08-13-2010 07:28 AM

Nice trip. Did you take your boat? If so, how do you like it for out there.

keeperreaper 08-13-2010 07:57 AM

Tilefish is awesome tasting. Sounds like it was a great trip.

MakoMike 08-13-2010 09:26 AM

Sandy, The green stick is used like a giant outrigger. A big bird (usually about 3 feet long) is run waaay back off the tip of the greenstick and then squid baits (either real or fake) are slid down the line so they run just in front of the bird, splashing right on top of the water. Of course the biats are rigged so they break away from the bird line when they get hit.

Mr. Sandman 08-13-2010 11:17 AM

Yeah I see these guys pulling with what looks like a stack of pallets off of a 35' vertical pole...makes a huge comotion about a 1000' behind the boat. I would like to see the rigging up close. I don't see the how they control all the baits when you get a strike. One guy had a hydraulic reel... No rods.
Looks like too much gear to me
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

MakoMike 08-13-2010 12:00 PM

The commercial guys use the bandit reels, no muss no fuss, 600 piund mono just engage the hydraulics and wind the fish to the boat. More sporstman like to use R&R baits can be dangled off the main line in any number of ways, cheapest is stainless rings on the bird line with a #64 rubber band to the reel line. That big bird put an awful lot of pressure on the greenstick, so it has to be mounted very well. No doubt the commotion does attract the fish. I use smaller birds on my outrigger and centerrigger lines to try to get some of the effect. I've had big blues come up and try to eat the birds!

niko 08-13-2010 02:47 PM

nice pix. looks like a good time

Moses 08-13-2010 03:27 PM

Jim - nice pics but you are so elusive with your head down in every one.

Fish On 08-15-2010 10:26 PM

Great pics! Nice bull and nice yellows. Thanks for sharing Jim!

Looks pretty calm out there for the canyons. How was the ride out, back? Did you stay over night out there and chunk?

golden* 08-16-2010 10:20 PM

always wanted to stick a tilefish

ncice report

RIROCKHOUND 08-17-2010 06:22 AM

Hoping for the end of the week here, but not Hydro... too far for our ride....

Sea Dangles 08-17-2010 08:11 AM

Just came back from Norfolk Canyon,great fishing and got my first ever YFT.White Marlin bite was very good as well as the Mahi.I might need a bigger boat.

Slick Moedee 08-17-2010 11:13 AM

Green Stick Paper

1 Attachment(s)
The attached paper descibes both ways it is typically rigged.

Mr. Sandman 08-17-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 788506)
Hoping for the end of the week here, but not Hydro... too far for our ride....

Sounds nice. I am itchin to go again but it may be a couple weeks before I can sneak away for a few days. I want a bigeye and a wahoo.

Good luck. (Atlantis?)

Slick...thanks for that!

RIROCKHOUND 08-17-2010 01:16 PM

I don't know if we decided. waiting for new intel and temp shots.