Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Grumpy Old Pharts Board (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Convenience Fee $4.22 (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=80885)

fishsmith 01-26-2013 10:34 PM

Convenience Fee $4.22

Gonna cut some holes tomorrow so I got my MA fresh and saltwater license, and every year this f$&$$ing Convenience Fee (now) $4.22 pisses me off more.

iamskippy 01-26-2013 11:53 PM

Agreed!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

basswipe 01-27-2013 08:00 AM

My favorite fee is the "technology fee" that RI charges when registering a car.

PRBuzz 01-27-2013 09:12 AM

Those fees SUCK agreed but I try to put them in perspective: what does it cost me in time to get the form, fill out, and mail via $0.46 USPS, and wait 7-10 days or better yet get into the truck (gas) and drive to the nearest office, find/pay for parking, wait in line, wait for the agent to fill out the form, pay the fees, drive home?

I grin and bear it when I see those internet fees but just knowing I have my license(s) in <10 min. I just :)

Mike P 01-27-2013 09:33 AM

The reason for those online fees is pretty simple: you're not buying the license from the Commonwealth directly. You're buying it from a private contract vendor called Active Outdoors. Ever notice how the URL in your browser window changes from mass.gov to malicense.com when you click the online license link? Like most private sector businesses, they're in it to make a profit.

You guys ain't a buncha commies are ya? :rotf2:

Pete F. 01-27-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 981910)
The reason for those online fees is pretty simple: you're not buying the license from the Commonwealth directly. You're buying it from a private contract vendor called Active Outdoors. Like most private sector businesses, they're in it to make a profit.

You guys ain't a buncha commies are ya? :rotf2:

So the question is prior to using Active Outdoors the State paid for employees, and the other things needed to license people some # of dollars per license. I assume that Active Outdoors is less expensive than that. Did they lower the price of the license when the change was made? The cost is gone and the money is still being paid.

spence 01-27-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 981912)
So the question is prior to using Active Outdoors the State paid for employees, and the other things needed to license people some # of dollars per license. I assume that Active Outdoors is less expensive than that. Did they lower the price of the license when the change was made? The cost is gone and the money is still being paid.

Not necessarily.

It's quite likely that the shift to a private contractor was an effort to defray rising costs of fishery management rather than create more net revenue for the state.

-spence

striperman36 01-27-2013 09:56 AM

That's the fee for that allows Devalle to have an adult conversation about robbing your ass

OLD GOAT 01-27-2013 12:41 PM

i GOT MY UNDIES IN A BUNCH OVER THIS A YEAR OR TWO AGO.
dON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN. nOT WORTH IT.

OLD GOAT 01-27-2013 12:42 PM

What a great post !!!

Pete F. 01-27-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 981915)
Not necessarily.

It's quite likely that the shift to a private contractor was an effort to defray rising costs of fishery management rather than create more net revenue for the state.

-spence

Since originally the license fee paid for the administrative costs, this increased the available funds. How are license fees dealt with in Mass, part of F&W budget or General fund? Perhaps in other words, the fee is a tax

Mike P 01-27-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 981912)

Very few people bought their license from a F&W office. Most bought them from either a tackle/hunting shop, or at the town hall. I don't think that F&W saved any money by offering online sales. Any clerk that sold them from a F&W field office did other things besides selling licenses. No one was ever hired as strictly a license sales clerk.

Don't want to pay the convenience fee? Then don't. Just go down to the town hall and pick up your FW or hunting license. You'll only pay the extra dollar that towns are allowed to collect (and always have been allowed to collect). For a SW license, there are 3 DMF offices who'll sell you the license for the $10 fee with no extra charges. I get mine from the New Bedford DMF office every year, and it costs $10. Takes all of 3 minutes.

Mike P 01-27-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 982018)
Since originally the license fee paid for the administrative costs, this increased the available funds. How are license fees dealt with in Mass, part of F&W budget or General fund? Perhaps in other words, the fee is a tax

No license fees have ever gone into the General Fund. Whatever is left after administrative costs goes into an earmarked fund used to acquire access and improve hunting and fishing. No Governor has ever been able to touch a cent of that fund. The last one who tried was Mitt, and the courts shut him down.

OLD GOAT 01-28-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 982023)
Very few people bought their license from a F&W office. Most bought them from either a tackle/hunting shop, or at the town hall. I don't think that F&W saved any money by offering online sales. Any clerk that sold them from a F&W field office did other things besides selling licenses. No one was ever hired as strictly a license sales clerk.

Don't want to pay the convenience fee? Then don't. Just go down to the town hall and pick up your FW or hunting license. You'll only pay the extra dollar that towns are allowed to collect (and always have been allowed to collect). For a SW license, there are 3 DMF offices who'll sell you the license for the $10 fee with no extra charges. I get mine from the New Bedford DMF office every year, and it costs $10. Takes all of 3 minutes.

Mike There are a few town clerks that can't be botherd with the hunting&fishing licence.sales.
As a mater of fact a few post offices can't be botherd selling duck stamps.

The Dad Fisherman 01-28-2013 10:08 AM

This is like the movie Groundhog day....every year the same license gripe....

FishermanTim 01-30-2013 03:11 PM

There is the added plus of beimg able to reprint your license if you lose it without having to pay added fee.

That means that when I print mine, I print MANY copies to have on hand should the need arise!

I did that with my MA freshwater, saltwater and NH freshwater.
I keep a copy in my tackle box, at my brothers house (NH) and in my truck, as well as a few spares at home.

Only signed the ones I plan on carrying.

The Dad Fisherman 01-30-2013 03:29 PM

Just save the .PDF file and you can reprint when you need one....in case you lose it

Stewie 02-11-2013 01:19 PM

You don't need to save the PDF file (whatever that is?). If you go back all you need is your name and maybe SS number to print another. I made a dozen copies last year, but couldn't find them when I needed them, so I just went back to the website.

The Dad Fisherman 02-11-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 984282)
You don't need to save the PDF file (whatever that is?). If you go back all you need is your name and maybe SS number to print another. I made a dozen copies last year, but couldn't find them when I needed them, so I just went back to the website.

Which is quicker, going to the website, logging in with your login info pulling up your license and having the website pull it up so you can print it, which is a PDF file after all is said and done....or right-clicking the already saved PDF on your PC and selecting print?

OLD GOAT 02-11-2013 03:35 PM

At the risk of causing a brain overload how about having your licence listed on a electric thingy in your pocket or on file with F&W headquarters.
I have so many licences in my wallet it hurts to sit down.