Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   dip tubes for sealing plugs... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=75171)

Rockfish9 12-28-2011 07:40 AM

dip tubes for sealing plugs...

3 Attachment(s)
I amskippy was asking me about my dip tube set up.. so here it is...when i first built them i had 12 inter connected 2" PVC tubes... it was over thought but inefficient.. as i was unable to clean the solution...and the 2" was just a little too small.. larger plugs caused a large displacement even with the inter connected tubes..

Now I use 3" PVC capped off on the bottom as i recall, they are 14" high ( not sure on this as i built them a few yeqrs ago)... each tube is set into a retainer and can be removed, so I can periodicaly strain the solution through a paint strainer and add more liquid if needed ( I fill to the heightof the retainer board)..

the dip rack is composed of thin angle iron ( bought pre drilled at Lowes) and 3/8-16 threaded rod...short lengths of wire ( suspended ceiling hanger wire) are sandwiched between a pair of 3/8 -16 nuts on the threaded rod... a very slight bend in the wire near the end adds enough tension to keep the plug from sliding up the wire when inserted into the sealer...

the rack assembely is set on top of the rack of tubes and allowed to soak ( I use 30 minutes) then lifted straight up onto 3 hooks so the mixture can drip back into the tubes...

when active dripping has stopped the plugs then can be removed from the wires, wiped down and screw eyes inserted so they can be placed on the drying rack...

Rockfish9 12-28-2011 07:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here is the drying rack...

for short term storage, I cap the tubes with simple test caps... these are not real strong and I plan to some day make tapered plugs for sealing the tubes.. but they are cheap ( less than $1.00) as opposed to about $5 for a cap.... for long term storage, I bought several 1 gallon paint cans and fill them up to the top with the mixture.. this mixture is over a year old and I have had no issues with skinning ...I also use these paint cans to filter out debris from my tube as a paint funnel sits perfectly in the can...and i can pour the contents of the tubes in to strain it..

Slipknot 12-28-2011 10:47 AM

That is ingenious Joe :btu:

I love it

that would be perfect for anyone who uses that top secret one part epoxy finish as dipping them is easy but they drip for a while.

iamskippy 12-28-2011 11:23 AM

Thanks joe, exactly what i was looking for
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

UserRemoved 12-28-2011 12:21 PM

Home depot $5 for a empty 1 gallon paint can

Done
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device