Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   leaders (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=81080)

Goose 02-11-2013 09:30 PM

leaders

Are there any tuna leader 'how to' classes out there,,tackle shop maybe??

Typhoon 02-12-2013 09:06 AM

Get a good quality crimper. It's very simple if you're doing fluoro to mono.

Goose 02-12-2013 02:22 PM

Casting leaders need to be wind-on leaders.

niko 02-12-2013 05:39 PM

i could use some help with with windons and splicing too goose. maybe we can talk someone into a lesson.

MakoMike 02-12-2013 05:49 PM

Basil Pappas did some classes at the Canyon runner seminar in Newport a year or two ago.

buckmanjr 02-12-2013 07:11 PM

Easy stuff to do once you do it once or twice

thefishingfreak 02-12-2013 08:48 PM

Insert fluro into hollow braid Chinese finger style, pull tight to apply tension, 1/2 hitch the end, plyobond glue, done
Tie it in between something solid and a scale. pull like heck until it breaks.
Rinse and repeat until desired rusults are achieved
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

big jay 02-12-2013 09:52 PM

I'm doing a workshop at the SaltwaterEdge, Thursday March 28th @ 6:00.

Splicing braid, Loops, making wind-ons, etc. Pretty casual, hands on - we'll have materials to practice.

No cost, just an evening get together to share a few tricks.

Goose 02-12-2013 11:13 PM

Thanks BJ.

likwid 02-13-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big jay (Post 984523)

Splicing braid, Loops, making wind-ons, etc. Pretty casual, hands on - we'll have materials to practice.

Do you do yours with a bearpaw/etc or an mc works weighted bobbin or the like?

big jay 02-13-2013 10:59 AM

Double splice, glued and wax floss.

buckmanjr 02-13-2013 01:20 PM

Keep in mind if flossing that its not going to go through guides on spinning rods as easy for casting. I use this Beiter Winder Profi :: Serving Tools & Supplies :: Wind-On Leader Tools - Topshot Tools - Spectra Rigging Needles :: BHP Tackle

Worth the money IMO, i use the 30lb serving thread. I do use floss on my 130 top shots though.

likwid 02-13-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckmanjr (Post 984567)
Keep in mind if flossing that its not going to go through guides on spinning rods as easy for casting. I use this Beiter Winder Profi :: Serving Tools & Supplies :: Wind-On Leader Tools - Topshot Tools - Spectra Rigging Needles :: BHP Tackle

Worth the money IMO, i use the 30lb serving thread. I do use floss on my 130 top shots though.

Bieter works great, Bearpaw even better for 40+lb serves.
The weighted PR Knot bobbins also do a good job.

PRBuzz 02-13-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big jay (Post 984523)

It is a good session, I went 2-3yrs ago but of course I've forgotten everything Jay taught me. Then again, I could just re-watch my video.:)

RIROCKHOUND 02-13-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 984576)
Then again, I could just re-watch my video.:)

Dr.. You are such a geek...

keeperreaper 02-13-2013 08:10 PM

Chinese finger method for all NON casting rods. Bear paw for casting rods. Niko next time Im down in Marshvegas Ill swing by and show ya. It takes about 5 minutes to do one.

niko 02-14-2013 07:35 AM

thx matt

MakoMike 02-15-2013 06:05 PM

Why bear paw instead of a Bimini twist, Aussie braid or spyder hitch?

likwid 02-15-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 984902)
Why bear paw instead of a Bimini twist, Aussie braid or spyder hitch?

BCY Bear Paw is to serve where the mono enters the hollow braid, a la Basil Papas/Streamline/etc. topshots/windons.

Creates a nice smooth transition from mono to braid that can be casted/goes through roller guides with zero extra resistance and adds strength (can also shorten insertion length).

ThrowingTimber 02-18-2013 01:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some quick reference materials. From everything Id been able to read and test hands on loading the flouro with (x) amount of weight is essential prior to serving.

Making a jig that lets you apply the proper weight then serving seems to be the way to go as the flouro's diameter is decreased as weight is applied to it. (stretch) Serving under tension ensures it is not as likely to slip under load. Also avoids having to stuff 3+ feet of flouro into the hollow core and doesnt rely entirely on the a fingercuff situation.

ie. 200# flouro load to 100# of tension, serve under tension. Allow glue to dry pliobond etc. once dry release tension, serve looks clear :uhuh: test and record results :) I also find it helpful to tie a loop into your serving material so you can pull it better once you are ready to really hog it down tight. Chop sticks really help, put the chop stick in the loops and with a good pair of gloves pull to snug down apply glue, and pull some more :)