Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Happy Independence Day (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=96645)

JohnR 07-03-2020 07:56 AM

Happy Independence Day

Two hundred and Forty Four years ago, a bunch of folks smarter than us (certainly smarter then me) managed to give the bird to mother England, Original Brexit, and chart a course for a people unmatched in the millennia of recorded history. The oppression and taxes too great, freedoms too few, these wise folks put all their chips on the table and doubled down for future generations. This country has since become a beacon of hope to people everywhere.

For all of our problems, squabbles, and sparring, this two hundred something year old experiment in Democracy is working and we should strive harder to make it better. Sure, there may be a small handful of countries that may seem, oh I dunno, nicer, due to the lottery of geography, they have not needed to do the heavy lifting of the world. They have not become the melting pot, the inventors, or the facilitator of PAX AMERICANA, nor the bastion of Hope. Having spent time in other countries, including behind the Iron Curtain for a brief stint, we are lucky beyond words by lottery of birth.

This week and extra true this year, embrace your freedoms, reflect on your good fortune, and please do an extra 10%. An extra ten as a parent, child, friend, and citizen. The hard part has been done, we need to do our part for the next 244 years.

Guppy 07-03-2020 02:50 PM

And to you also Mr. Redmond

Nebe 07-03-2020 02:52 PM

Time to celebrate our separation from an oppressive over taxing government that was taxing at 13% and hampered our freedoms.
Enjoy your fishing (with a permit) in the car you pay taxes on and the boat you pay taxes on. And come home to the house you can’t work on without a permit and also pay taxes on. Grill on a gill that may be banned in some cities because it makes smoke... yadayadayada. You get my drift :hihi:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnR 07-03-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1196131)
Time to celebrate our separation from an oppressive over taxing government that was taxing at 13% and hampered our freedoms.
Enjoy your fishing (with a permit) in the car you pay taxes on and the boat you pay taxes on. And come home to the house you can’t work on without a permit and also pay taxes on. Grill on a gill that may be banned in some cities because it makes smoke... yadayadayada. You get my drift :hihi:

Well won't be a problem when you commies take over, 'cause imagine no possessions won't be a mental image ; ) .

Clammer 07-03-2020 09:07 PM

Love it or get the #^&#^&#^&#^& out .I choose to love it & for all the have fought & fight for us to keep it ><>THANKYOU :fishin:

Sea Dangles 07-03-2020 10:37 PM

Old fashioned values rule!

spence 07-04-2020 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1196139)
Well won't be a problem when you commies take over, 'cause imagine no possessions won't be a mental image ; ) .

I don’t think that line is inspired by communism as much as Buddhism. Regardless it may be a better course than where trump is trying to take us.

Sea Dangles 07-04-2020 06:38 AM

Really Jeff?
Enjoy your independence today

JohnR 07-04-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1196143)
I don’t think that line is inspired by communism as much as Buddhism. Regardless it may be a better course than where trump is trying to take us.

When you are between Stalin and Trotsky, everyone is a Nazi

wdmso 07-04-2020 08:24 AM

Happy 4th the fight for independence is still happening
As is the willingness to stop it.

And i recall my history not all the colonists were on the independence wagon then..

Sadly in trumps speech he failed to understand he refered to protesters with cliché terms. Never as Americans .. but as enemys of America

That is what nationalism looks like ..and the Road he and his supporter wish to go down..

Nebe 07-04-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1196143)

Actually I was channeling one of my heroes. . . George Carlin.

Nebe 07-04-2020 08:34 AM

Happy 4th everyone !

spence 07-04-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1196148)
When you are between Stalin and Trotsky, everyone is a Nazi

I have no idea what this means.

The Dad Fisherman 07-04-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1196151)
Actually I was channeling one of my heroes. . . George Carlin.

One of the great philosophers of our time. :hihi:

Nebe 07-04-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1196155)

Right?! He was a genius.

scottw 07-04-2020 09:54 AM

saw him live when he came to UMaine...1984 I think....

JohnR 07-04-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1196149)
Happy 4th the fight for independence is still happening
As is the willingness to stop it.

And i recall my history not all the colonists were on the independence wagon then..

Sadly in trumps speech he failed to understand he refered to protesters with cliché terms. Never as Americans .. but as enemys of America

That is what nationalism looks like ..and the Road he and his supporter wish to go down..

Wayne, not many were - a 40% maybe?

Difference is today that we SHOULD be able to see, with our warts and all, that we have the best system or at least the least worst. We need to bring everyone up to a more fair and just level playing field, not oppress everyone equally.

I'm stopping here because this is not the Political forum. If you want to go anymore, start a new thread there.

A Republic, if we can keep it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1196153)
I have no idea what this means.

Director of Strategic Communications, Heal Thyself ; )

RIROCKHOUND 07-04-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1196155)

Up there with Jagger and Richards.
'cant always get what you want.... But if you try some times you just might find you can get what you need'

PaulS 07-04-2020 10:45 AM

Happy 4th everyone!

The Dad Fisherman 07-04-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1196157)
saw him live when he came to UMaine...1984 I think....

I saw him in Portland Maine in ‘85, (Although it could have been ‘84) funny bastard.

afterhours 07-04-2020 11:45 AM

Happy 4th to most of you!

Pete F. 07-04-2020 07:43 PM

BREAKING NEWS: A mob in Boston has torn down two statues from the Old State House and set them on fire.

This occurred on July 18, 1776, upon the first public proclamation of the Declaration of Independence in Massachusetts.

It's as American as apple pie.
But keep painting it as something patriots wouldn’t do

JohnR 07-04-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1196172)
BREAKING NEWS: A mob in Boston has torn down two statues from the Old State House and set them on fire.

This occurred on July 18, 1776, upon the first public proclamation of the Declaration of Independence in Massachusetts.

It's as American as apple pie.
But keep painting it as something patriots wouldn’t do

We're not the British, and not the Oppressors to a bunch of Anarchist and Marxist punks.

spence 07-05-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1196173)
We're not the British, and not the Oppressors to a bunch of Anarchist and Marxist punks.

That’s trained Marxist.

Jimbo 07-05-2020 08:25 AM

Were any of you able to see yesterday's flyover on its way to DC? After the last one I was expecting to see I wasn't prepared, but damn they went literally over our house. Had to be 10-12 of them, different sizes. Most impressive! Better than any fireworks display.

JohnR 07-05-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo (Post 1196180)
Were any of you able to see yesterday's flyover on its way to DC? After the last one I was expecting to see I wasn't prepared, but damn they went literally over our house. Had to be 10-12 of them, different sizes. Most impressive! Better than any fireworks display.

Wish I had seen it. Apparently some people in Boston thought they were under attack. :rotf2:

piemma 07-05-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clammer (Post 1196140)
Love it or get the #^&#^&#^&#^& out .I choose to love it & for all the have fought & fight for us to keep it ><>THANKYOU :fishin:

Same here Mike. Some of the people who are on the site have turned into commies. They really should GTFO!!! Go live in Russia.

Steve K 07-05-2020 10:18 AM

They went over my house in Newton and it was spectacular. B-52 and stealth bomber were my favorites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo (Post 1196180)

spence 07-05-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1196182)
Same here Mike. Some of the people who are on the site have turned into commies. They really should GTFO!!! Go live in Russia.

To be ruled by an authoritarian, conspiracy driven criminal? We’ve already got that here.

I don’t think you guys would even know what to do if a hard left progressive joined this board.

The Dad Fisherman 07-05-2020 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1196184)

I don’t think you guys would even know what to do if a hard left progressive joined this board.

Probably use the “ignore” feature