Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Tub trip lever gap (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=99201)

spence 03-02-2024 02:41 PM

Tub trip lever gap

The old trip lever, drain lever thing stopped working on a regular fiberglass tub/shower unit. When I removed the old one I noticed there was a gap on top where the cover was leaving the top of the cutout hole exposed. I installed a new one and it works fine but that gap of about 3/16 is still there on the top edge. Covers are the same size. Thoughts?

redlite 03-02-2024 05:46 PM

Gee. I have dealt with a lot of plumbing and handy man stuff in my life and I am confused.
Are u talking about the cover around the lever that controls the drain?
If so, sounds like hole was over drilled at initial installation
Verify if there is adjustment on the throw rod or contact plumbing supply place for an oversized cover. Similar to how switch/ outlet plates come in varying sizes.
Of course pic would be more helpful
Spud or Ross might have some good advice as sure they dealt with
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence 03-02-2024 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redlite (Post 1244421)
Are u talking about the cover around the lever that controls the drainPosted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Yes, I don’t remember it being like this before and I can’t believe things have shifted that much, it’s a few decades old.

redlite 03-02-2024 10:52 PM

If cover is same size then it seems like there is a misalignment of the throw on the drain throw. When have wholen shabang out there should be 2 nuts that counter tighten to give u the right length between the bell that sits/ seals and the handle. Take your old one and check. It is like doing a tie rod on a car. Count the threads to get it close.
Once u do it should give u the correct alignment for the plate/ lever once u tighten things
Its a tedious aggravation that goes smoother with lube. May need to go in and out a few times esp if don't have old one to ballpark start it. Just be careful pulling old throw bell out don't get frustrated and break it of.
Hard to describe but hope helps some.

Guppy 03-03-2024 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Can you see the underside of all this from the basement?
Hopefully nothing has slipped…. :-(

Attachment 70299

spence 03-03-2024 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1244430)
Can you see the underside of all this from the basement?
Hopefully nothing has slipped…. :-(

Attachment 70299

Yeah it’s all exposed. I’ll look today. I know it has leaked if the kid fills the tub into the overflow.

spence 03-03-2024 11:14 AM

Nothing has shifted, it’s all solid. Small leak from the actual drain in the bottom of the tub. I’ve never installed one and it’s not clear how this could be tightened. There is a lot of gunk built up where the pvc begins.

piemma 03-03-2024 12:07 PM

Take a shower instead.

Nebe 03-03-2024 04:06 PM

Bring it over to my studio and I’ll weld it for you 😂

Pete F. 03-03-2024 05:29 PM

I’d bet there’s a YouTube video or a hundred
It’s not terribly difficult but you’ll probably need another person

wdmso 03-04-2024 08:49 AM

I had to replace mine .. the brass plug that drops down was toast and full of crud. I didn’t replace any of the original parts except the plug and it lined up fine ..

I guess maybe replacing what’s needed to the old set up. And see it that helps?

And FYI. I am not a handyman…. Need something broken. Call me.

Guppy 03-04-2024 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1244448)
I had to replace mine .. the brass plug that drops down was toast and full of crud. I didn’t replace any of the original parts except the plug and it lined up fine ..

I guess maybe replacing what’s needed to the old set up. And see it that helps?

And FYI. I am not a handyman…. Need something broken. Call me.

Amen brother…. LOL