Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   POWER PRO COLOR? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=47272)

44mike44 02-26-2008 09:22 PM

POWER PRO COLOR?

hey everyone i want to switch over to using power pro for the advantages of braid. I also like the idea of using the high visibility yellow color. Will this hurt my chances of hooking up? I plan to use a fluroucarbon leader.

Thanks,

Mike

luds 02-27-2008 07:22 AM

I use the high vis but don't think the color matters. Don't waste your money on fluorocarbon if you're just targeting bass.......especially if you're fishing at night.

Clogston29 02-27-2008 07:53 AM

get whatever color matches your surf top the best

fishaholic18 02-27-2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clogston29 (Post 569016)
get whatever color matches your surf top the best

I have to disagree...It's much more effective if you match your underwear...http://dune.servint.com/uploads/f_eyebrows.gif

reelecstasy 02-27-2008 08:30 AM

I fish Suffix, Hi vis yellow, I have seen no dif

44mike44 02-27-2008 12:22 PM

yellow

for everyone using hi vis yellow.....what about fishing during the day? what do you use for a leader?

Bourne Bill 01-10-2012 08:00 AM

green power pro for me

JohnnySaxatilis 01-10-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luds (Post 569009)
Don't waste your money on fluorocarbon if you're just targeting bass.......especially if you're fishing at night.

waaa? explain please. 40# fluro for my leader.

you really change leader material according to the time of day? seems slightly excessive

fishbones 01-10-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySaxatilis (Post 913357)
waaa? explain please. 40# fluro for my leader.

you really change leader material according to the time of day? seems slightly excessive

I think what he meant was that flouro is not necessary for leader material. A lot of people (myself included) use mono for leaders and I haven't noticed a difference in catch rate when fishing side by side with someone using flouro. I still use flouro in some situations, but mostly it's Ande leader material. Way cheaper than the flouro.

ecduzitgood 01-10-2012 12:16 PM

I used to think leaders were necessary in order to prevent a fish from seeing the line until my first time fishing from my yak. I clipped an RM Mackerel swimmer onto 80# JB hollow core using just a breakaway clip with no leader about 20'-25' from the transom and caught 2 small keepers before I realized I forgot the leader. I still use leaders to avoid break offs when fish head for the rocks only because braid doesn't have much abrasion resistance. Who would have thought such large diameter white braid wouldn't be noticed by a fish during the day, and it's not like the fishing was great either; Tagger and Bigfish were fishing the same area with no luck and I'm sure they didn't forget the leaders.
If you think about it they still caught fish back when there were no clear lines so I don't think the color will matter at all.

FishnGrega 01-10-2012 12:21 PM

Floro is more for clearer waters like the FL keys just as an example.

Mono is all you need around here.

iamskippy 01-10-2012 07:24 PM

suffix hi vis yellow, i will not longer put PP on my reels.

ecduzitgood 01-10-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamskippy (Post 913472)

The hollow ace is fine in 60#, I don't like their 8 strand, the hollow is 16 strand which they probably have Cortland make for their lable.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

iamskippy 01-10-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecduzitgood (Post 913480)
The hollow ace is fine in 60#, I don't like their 8 strand, the hollow is 16 strand which they probably have Cortland make for their lable.

Great point my friend, but i enjoy all there products, love the camo in fresh

piemma 01-18-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamskippy (Post 913472)

DITTO!!!!!

piemma 01-18-2012 05:15 PM

Just as an aside, I have used Cortland Mastery in lime green for the last 3 years on my conventionals on the boat and caught a ton of bass. I always use a 50# mono leader but nothing special. Big Game or Ande Back Country. I think the leader makes a difference and I always have about a 20' leader tied to the braid with an Albright knot.

striperman36 01-18-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 915454)
Just as an aside, I have used Cortland Mastery in lime green for the last 3 years on my conventionals on the boat and caught a ton of bass. I always use a 50# mono leader but nothing special. Big Game or Ande Back Country. I think the leader makes a difference and I always have about a 20' leader tied to the braid with an Albright knot.

Casting, trolling or both?

Mr. Sandman 02-08-2012 08:07 AM

I like red PP but it really does not matter. Use the hollow core on my offshore gear. On the offshore stuff I like the yellow because you can see it in bright daylight. It is not in the water generally when trolling, only the mono top shot is. Once the fish hits...then it spools off.

"All of those different brands are made from one of two materials, Spectra (made by Honeywell) or Dyneema (made by a company in the Netherlands called DSM), and these materials are so incredibly similar that they’re known in the industry as “sister” lines. Both are made from gel-spun polyethylene. Both offer the same characteristics, and both cost about the same. So, what’s the difference? There really isn’t any. Some lines claim to be rounder then others but that aside, it’s all more or less the same stuff. (Note – don’t confuse braid with “fused” lines, which are heated to fuse some of the fibers together. These lines are more abrasion-resistant then braids, but are also stiff, tough to cast, and tougher to knot.)

In other words, don’t knock yourself out stressing over whether to buy brand X over brand Y because you won’t be able to tell a heck of a lot of difference between them. Choose according to diameter, pound test, and color as you like, of course, but branding is far less important. You don’t believe it? Fine. Spool up two identical rigs with identical sizes and different brands, then fish them for a couple of seasons – which I’ve already done. Real-world experience backs up the research; the best braid is simply the one that’s filling your fishing reel’s spool."

SurfMan 07-25-2014 12:09 PM

Red PP

My very unscientific study ..I've noticed that when I switched from either Hi-vis yellow or Green PP to Red PP I have all but eliminated wind knot problems.
Maybe it has something to do with the red dye used to color the line.
The line seems much more supple or not quite as stiff as the other colors in the PP line.

I still like Yozuri hybrid too..but use primarily red PP.
Experiment if you're a PP user..and see if you have the same results..could be I'm just another crazy surf fisherman..chasing stripers!!

Zeal 07-25-2014 12:33 PM

My 02. is that the length of my life using mono I've used Orange line, Clear, White, and Red. Never saw a difference ever.

I don't see why this wouldn't be the same when it comes to braid colors.

JohnR 07-25-2014 03:24 PM

I have seen no difference though the hi viz might have you seeing and correcting a small problem before it becomes a big problem.

BigBaitBigFish 07-25-2014 05:16 PM

I personally prefer the green power pro.