Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Glitter on plugs (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=62342)

Back Beach 02-22-2010 03:15 PM

Glitter on plugs

I noticed a lot of sweet paint jobs in the plug fest threads....was wondering if anyone still uses the old style glitter on their plugs and where you get the stuff? I have a bunch of all white plugs and am looking to get the old style glitter look on them(like the old white gibbs pencils and the like).

Rockfish9 02-22-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back Beach (Post 749887)
I noticed a lot of sweet paint jobs in the plug fest threads....was wondering if anyone still uses the old style glitter on their plugs and where you get the stuff? I have a bunch of all white plugs and am looking to get the old style glitter look on them(like the old white gibbs pencils and the like).

most of my white or pure black have glitter... i get it at A/C moore or michales.... I apply it to my tacky scratch coat, then epoxy the plug, thus sealing the glitter forever...

Slipknot 02-22-2010 03:31 PM

I just spoke with Capesams about this subject Sat. and he said nobody makes round glitter like Gibbs used to use. :(
hard to find I bet.

I have some John Haberek gave me that I use but it is octagon. I think that would be close enough for what you want if you're fishing them.

OLD GOAT 02-22-2010 03:44 PM

Have you guys looked in the fingernail polish rack?

Striperknight 02-22-2010 03:47 PM

I found larger square glitter in a dollar store.

Karl F 02-22-2010 04:13 PM

P-Town...
:o..
glitter of all kinds & colors... in the shop with the.... toys..:humpty:
look in the disco and party section....
mix it right in with the etex in a cup, and brush it on....if you use etex....

BigFish 02-22-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Striperknight (Post 749898)
I found larger square glitter in a dollar store.

StriperKnight.....how much was it??:rotf2:

I personally do not care for glitter.:huh:

Backbeach Jake 02-22-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl F (Post 749906)
P-Town...
:o..
glitter of all kinds & colors... in the shop with the.... toys..:humpty:
look in the disco and party section....
mix it right in with the etex in a cup, and brush it on....if you use etex....

Karl, why do you know that?

ThrowingTimber 02-22-2010 06:03 PM

glitter is the herpes of the craft isle.

I use pearl ex gold sparingly. :uhuh:

Karl F 02-22-2010 06:06 PM

ya never got dragged in there?
and of course, when I saw that stuff, I was like.. "Oh, this would be good for my plug....s "..
Did I say that??? (not out loud in there!!!!)
;)

c'mon Fred...even you musta gone in there once!...:D
and I bet ya went to more than one "2 for one" night at the Back Room at the Crown and Anchor, and "2 for one" at Piggy's...when that was around...
I'm talking 70's and early 80's of course..when the crowd was more...mixed..especially winter time....pre MADD days... when drinking and driving was damn near mandatory in the winter on the cape... :smash:

Backbeach Jake 02-22-2010 06:18 PM

I was scared..

Backbeach Jake 02-22-2010 06:42 PM

Michael's has Martha Stewart glitter. She knows her stuff. Also they have glitter in little vials, one will last forever. That glitter comes in all colors , has round multicolor with stars mixed in,too. They also have pearl powder in different colors to mix with your paints or clear. The ultraviolet interference pearl makes a wild blurple when mixed with clear and brushed over black.

justplugit 02-22-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake (Post 749940)
I was scared..

:rotflmao:

Karl F 02-22-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake (Post 749940)
I was scared..

ya wanna get people in there snickering?

start humming that

"5 dollar foot long" commercical, while you are browsing...

:hihi:

The Dad Fisherman 02-22-2010 07:29 PM

I use the Micro-fine that you get at AC Moore's.......I mix it up with the Epoxy when I clear coat.

I also remember Flap saying they used to use crushed glass back in the Day.....

numbskull 02-22-2010 08:40 PM

I don't know if it is still available, but I use something called Gick Crafts
Holographic gold glitter #87-148. It is very small and seems ideal (not to chinchy looking). I sprinkle it on slowly by rubbing a bit between my fingertips several inches above the plug while the paint is still wet, then epoxy over it.

angler229 02-22-2010 08:45 PM

I've been using the extra fine stuff you can get at AC Moore, but recently I'm starting to figure out how to get the glitter effect in my paint so I'm transitioning into that.

saltydog 02-22-2010 09:48 PM

GLITTER:confused: you can get it at WALLYWORLD also, craft section.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:)

capesams 02-22-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 749955)
I use the Micro-fine that you get at AC Moore's.......I mix it up with the Epoxy when I clear coat.

I also remember Flap saying they used to use crushed glass back in the Day.....

crushed glass...x-mas bulbs is what it was.

capesams 02-22-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD GOAT (Post 749897)
Have you guys looked in the fingernail polish rack?

yep...yellow...pink...red....clear w/glidda...orange....the ny brand is great/an cheap.

theres something else thats finer then fine.I.call it fairy dust....don't inhail when opening the lid...or sneez..or breathe heavy u'll empty the jar.

Jigman 02-23-2010 12:02 PM

If you are looking for real fine stuff, createx makes some that can be added to their clear paint and airbrushed, or you can apply it as usual to paint or epoxy. Jannsnetcraft and others also sell some for use in soft plastic baits that is real fine.

Jigman

ProfessorM 02-23-2010 12:13 PM

M&D's has lots

Diggin Jiggin 02-23-2010 12:44 PM

On the first page of the 'some plugs' thread there is a giant pikie with all white sides, that heavy on the glitter. :love: Thats what I tried to copy for my 'flaptail' plug at plugfest, as it was one of his...

I think its cool that the glitter on that is actually kind of taking the place of paint. I've got some topwater I'm working on that will be similar...

Back Beach 02-23-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 749973)
I sprinkle it on slowly by rubbing a bit between my fingertips several inches above the plug while the paint is still wet,.

You mean like Emeril Lagasse does when applying salt? BAM!

ThrowingTimber 02-23-2010 10:25 PM

you can also take a salt and pepper shaker and make the holes as large as you need them then you can just sprinkle the gllitter directly onto the tacky coat/epoxy on the lure itself. That helps avoid getting it all over your hands, face, clothes etc. Dan if you like to get the effect in the paint scope out createx sparkle spectrum :)

WoodyCT 02-24-2010 09:53 AM

Glitter on my face

My wife gets really mad when I come home late with glitter on my face.

Rockfish9 02-24-2010 10:18 AM

the stuff I use is hard to find, I've had the same tube for years.... it is a dead ringer for the stuff on my old Cap'n Bills swimmers.... not coarse, bur rather large, almost scale like... I use the Numbskull method ..i pour a little into the cap, and pinch it between my finger, I just apply it to the scratch coat..the rest gets returned to the tube..

I've tried lots of differant kinds, I like this stuff the best..

Finatic 02-24-2010 10:32 AM

Dixie art supplies. Same place for Createx and other airbrush supplies. Very inexpensive.

Slipknot 02-24-2010 10:54 AM

I use a salt shaker too

the ultrafine i mix with the epoxy

Jigman 02-24-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber (Post 750225)
you can also take a salt and pepper shaker and make the holes as large as you need them then you can just sprinkle the gllitter directly onto the tacky coat/epoxy on the lure itself. That helps avoid getting it all over your hands, face, clothes etc. Dan if you like to get the effect in the paint scope out createx sparkle spectrum :)

You can also mix several different colors of glitter this way too ;)

Jigman