Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Lexus replacement keys - anyone have an angle? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=87708)

spence 01-30-2015 08:40 AM

Lexus replacement keys - anyone have an angle?

Think my son lost my only good car key. I've got a broken slave and know the pattern to cut a new one but if I can't find it may have to just buy new keys and get them programmed.

Anyone have a connection that help get this done? Dealer full cost isn't cheap...thanks...

Raven 01-30-2015 10:26 AM

same thing for a volvo second key
like $150 bucks new....
and you have to leave the car there.
so i have never done it

Sea Dangles 01-30-2015 10:26 AM

Blaming son
Pathetic
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence 01-30-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1063415)
Blaming son
Pathetic

Oh no he lost it.

Dealer cost is about $350. I was able to doctor up the only remaining key and I think it will work so at least I should be able to drive it until it breaks again.

The dealer also mentioned they could get a new housing, re-cut the key and swap the chip for much less.

Fly Rod 01-30-2015 10:43 AM

had the Tahoe done half the price...all they asked if I had the car with me and done in about 20 minutes....luckly they had the blank

justplugit 01-30-2015 10:49 AM

Spence if it's just the plastic outside cover you can order one over the web for about 8-$10. There is a small screw at the bottom of the Lexus casing to open and replace with the guts.

spence 01-30-2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplugit (Post 1063424)
Spence if it's just the plastic outside cover you can order one over the web for about 8-$10. There is a small screw at the bottom of the Lexus casing to open and replace with the guts.

I don't think that works on the type 2 key. The shaft barely penetrates the plastic case and doesn't look like you're able to put it back properly.

Moot issue anyway. After sending my son out 5 times to find it he finally located said key in the middle of the road having been ran over many times. Fortunately it was the valet key so it had a solid body and appears to have survived.

justplugit 01-30-2015 08:35 PM

Good news. :)

Swimmer 02-12-2015 07:40 PM

Ace Hardware in Hanson, Mass. Dupes chip keys for cars, and I never hear any complaining. Short money as well.

striperman36 02-12-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1063419)
Oh no he lost it.

Dealer cost is about $350. I was able to doctor up the only remaining key and I think it will work so at least I should be able to drive it until it breaks again.

The dealer also mentioned they could get a new housing, re-cut the key and swap the chip for much less.

Bought the blank on ebay. cut at the hardware store. If you have a single key the dealer needs to program it. Get a second and you should be able to program the 2nd one yourself, at least with Jeeps you can program up to 5 keys per vehicle