Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bugged out.. (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=95500)

Rockfish9 09-03-2019 08:38 AM

Bugged out..

3 Attachment(s)
With the shortening of days ( not enough daylight to run pots after work) and the looming hurricane and non stop N/E winds, I hauled my pots Monday, Saturday I worked hard to realign them as some of them were sanded in badly from the onshore winds and others moved around( mostly by fisherman using them to anchor as they fish)..after reviewing the long range I decided to pull the pots for the season... even with a S/E wind quartering the mouth of the river it was standing white on the outgoing yesterday, but by staying hard to the jetty I was able to avoid most of the ugly stuff, I did have one ( about a 6'er) roll up and put a little water on deck on the way out just as I made my turn around the north jetty heading sea ward.. I had 8 keeper bugs on Saturday and added 8 more yesterday, it was a good season I got 268 total, with 96 of them being keepers.. this year I ran pig hide bait ( for the first time) in conjunction with fresh pogies and mackerel, I found the pig hide survived the sand fleas a lot better than the fish bait does.. I normally check every 2 days during the summer.. I also moved on from 3 and 4' pots to 30" pots ( 6 of my 10 old pots got stolen from the marina as I was staging them this past spring) I find the 30" pot a lot better for small boat fishing , I can stack all 10 in my 18' center console.. best part, they fish pretty darn good as well.. I also added that Scotty pot hauler, it is a nice addition and is even capable of hauling your pot when some one lays a trawl down over your set ( it happened a few times this year, id recommend it to anyone wanting an removable light weight hauler)..time to concentrate of the fall run for bass, as a side note, mid week all the pogies that have been out front all summer vanished.. but mackerel have returned with a vengeance.. the fall run is on.

Rockfish9 09-03-2019 08:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
a few more pictures

Rockfish9 09-03-2019 08:45 AM

I gave away quite a few, but most of them got processed, by removing all meat, claw meat and body meat used for stuffing and lobster rolls ( some was vacuum sealed and frozen) .. tail meat that wasn't consumed immediately was vacuum sealed and frozen... yesterday we had lobster rolls on fresh lettuce from the garden, corn from the garden and tomato salad also from the garden... finished off with an ice cold glass of white wine..life is good!

Sea Dangles 09-03-2019 09:36 AM

If there is ANYTHING as tasty as a well prepared lobster roll....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockfish9 09-03-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1173340)
If there is ANYTHING as tasty as a well prepared lobster roll....

NOPE.. take that back...2 of them!

Slipknot 09-03-2019 12:08 PM

Awesome Joe! Sure is nice up there

Guppy 09-03-2019 04:42 PM

I do all that Joe, but couldn’t hold a candle to you... LOL

That’s not a boat, it’s a battle wagon...

Good read

Checked my pots today, eggers,,, should have pulled them in, hope they’re still there after this blow... :-(

Rockfish9 09-04-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1173361)
I do all that Joe, but couldn’t hold a candle to you... LOL

That’s not a boat, it’s a battle wagon...

Good read

Checked my pots today, eggers,,, should have pulled them in, hope they’re still there after this blow... :-(

I hope for your sake they are still there too...mine were in 20' of water facing the open beach, they would never make it.. there will be hundreds of them up on the beach and in the shallows between Salisbury and Ipswich in a giant tangled mess, I wanted no part of that.

a lot of berried females this year, I got a lot of little runts as well, not much bigger than a crayfish clinging to the bait bags..